OtakuBoards

Best Oldies Bands/Artists?

Nomurah!

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Well, there's a "modern artist" thread, so this is the one that shall be filled with Rock and Roll, Satan, and long hair. Unless you go with "my fave oldies is Michael Jackson" then we can go with something like...oh let's say...lots of disco dance moves that these days belong on DDR?

Anyway.

Who do you think is the best oldies band/artist/whatever? I don't care if you have more than one or whatever, just answer the question. What's my favorite oldies band? Iron Maiden. Why Iron Maiden? Well, out of all the different oldies bands that are awesome such as AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Metallica and etc., Iron Maiden is that one band that sounds the coolest to me. The rifts are nice, and the bassist ish like chocalate icecream to my ears. Oh snaps. What is my favorite song by them? The Trooper. For God's sake, it's my theme song almost. And what else makes them awesome? They have a song devoted to the number 666. Now, I'm a Christian, and while I'm not supposed to feel strong about it...the idea is pretty kewl.

And that, my friends, is my favorite oldies band.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Palatino Linotype]The answer is obvious! The Beatles! The best band in history! Or at least, my favorite.

They've just got such a great sound, especially as their music changed through the years. They practically defined the rock genre along with Elvis and a few other 60s bands. I love the broad range of their songs - from the early harmonica solos of songs like 'Love Me Do' to the crazy (possibly drug-inspired) tunes of 'I Am the Walrus'. Every song has something that makes you wanna hear it again: the bass-heavy drum line of Strawberry Fields, or the orchestra from Sgt. Pepper.

My dad was a Beatles nut and so am I, and I always shall be. My favorite song I suppose would be I Am the Walrus, because it's manages to be so trippy and so enjoyable.

On a final note, the Beatles might not be 'hardcore', but every rock band to date owes them a little respect. And that's my favorite.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Some of the bands/artiest that I think are the best would have to be Billy Idol, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Poison, Bon Jovi, and similar bands to them. I feel that Billy Idol was one of the founders of punk rock. Hes been around since the early 70s with various bands. Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath are the ones I think have founded Horror Metal or the darker stuff when it comes to music. Poison and Bon Jovi are some of the best when it comes to Hair Metal of the 80s along with bands like Warrent, Aerosmith, and others.

[COLOR=Gray]I pretty much listen almost elmost exclusivly to classic rock music... The prime era of music for me was late-70's, early 80's, after the Peace and Love movement was mostly gone but before the Disco Plague took over mainstream music. Music has never been the same, in my opinion.

My favourite artist? Impossible to say... so I'll give ya top-five in no real order.

[B]Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention[/B] - Zappa's an amazing artist. Sick guitar player, neat vocals, hilarious and raunchy lyrics, and a sort of random abstractness that you only get from a lifetime's worth of cocaine and acid use. His backup band has had some great guys, too; Terry Bozzio and Vinnie Colaiuta are two of the best drummers of all time and did some of their best work with Zappa, while Napolean Murphy Brock is an amazing sax player.

[B]George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers[/b] - Granted, Bad To The Bone is the most overplayed single of all time, Geroge Thorogood had some really good songs to offer. One Burboun, One Scotch, and One Beer, Who Do You Love, Get A Haircut, an amazing cover of Johnny B. Goode, classics all!

[b]Yes![/b] - Chris Squire's jaw-dropping bass and Jon Anderson's ethereal vocals made Yes! the best prog-rock band of all time. Roundabout was, obviously, their masterpiece, but they had a lot of other great songs; Changes, Siberian Khatru, Starship Troopers, Closer To The Edge, great nerdy prog-rock for the ages!

[b]Supertramp[/b] - Roger Hodgson had a love-it-or-hate-it voice, and I loved it. The band had one of the strongest keyboard sections of any playing and had some really catchy tunes. Oddly, their most popular song, Dreamer, is IMO their worst; it's not even close to Take The Long Way Home, Goodbye Stranger, Fool's Overture, or Sister Moonshine. Good stuff!

[b]Warren Zevon[/b] - Probably the closest thing to emo I'll ever like, Zevon was an amazing song-writer with a dead-pan singing style and some sweet keyboard skills. Werewolves of London is one of the catchiest songs ever, and Mr. Bad Example and Excitable Boy are great too. His last album before he died, Wind, is an amazing album, my favourite ever; probably the only time a piece of music has moved me to cry.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][b]Jethro Tull[/b] is made of win and awesome. Rock-HeavyRock with a flute player? YES PLEASE. "Warchild" is a great album.

[b]Pink Floyd[/b] is good when you need to chill down a little, not good when you're depressed or freaked out.

The Beatles are good, Yes is good...I shall come back and lengthen this post in the morning when not collapsing. XP[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1]I'm not a big classic rock fan at all, as in North Carolina it seems to be the only thing that the radio plays other than country and rap. I like rap, but I have to be in the mood for it, you know?

There's two bands that really stand out though. I'm a big fan of (The?) Pixies and Rush. Both bands still make music now, but obviously, they were present decades ago, as well.

I don't really know what to say about either of them, I feel like I'm unworthy, haha!

Edits start here:
As for classic metal, I'm a big fan of Atheist, too. I was going to say Cynic, but they did most of their good stuff in the 90's. I love technical metal and that's basically where it starts getting good.

I keep adding to this post as I think about it. I also like Moss Icon a lot. They were basically the band that turned the "hardcore punk" emo to the emo heard today in bands like pg.99 and Circle Takes the Square. It was full of passion and the music reflected that, rather than being a set of boring, alternating chords. Moss Icon's songs would just set up a beat, then absolutely rip it apart, and I love that style of music.[/font][/size]

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Ah yes, Rush is an awesome band...to me, it's awesome because of how great the drummer is. He was way ahead of his time whenever he was playing about 20 years ago, and you can tell that many bands have used Rush's music as inspiration.

Also...I'd say Nirvana is one of those really good old bands. They kind of founded the Grunge genre, and made some really good music...though I think some of it is a little repetitive as time goes on, it's all good. After Kurt died, the other two members went on to found newer bands that are still making music today.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='Kazuwa Nomura][COLOR=HotPink][B] What is my favorite song by Iron Maiden? The Trooper. For God's sake, it's my theme song almost. And what else makes them awesome? They have a song devoted to the number 666.[/B'][/COLOR][/quote]

Ah yes, Iron Maiden, the first and only metal band I like.
[size=1](Their songs "The Number of the Beast", "Run to the Hills", "Fear of the Dark", and "The Fugitive" rock, literally.)[/size]

[quote name='Muad'Dib']My dad was a Beatles nut and so am I, and I always shall be. My favorite song I suppose would be I Am the Walrus, because it's manages to be so trippy and so enjoyable.[/quote]

And what about "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds"? Anyways, the Beatles are one of my favourites too.

Why has nobody mentioned the Rolling Stones yet? I'm honestly surprised. Another one of my favourites, especially with that all-awesome song "Paint It Black".

I've heard some very good things about Pink Floyd, but so far I never found any of their songs that I'm all too crazy about... I dunno, "Money" is sort of neat, but...

I'm sure there are more when I think of them.

Im with Kazuwa! Metallica,AcDc,and Black Sabbath just to name a few. Some other of my favorites would have to be Queen, and Joan Jet and the Blackhearts.Oh and Pat Benutar.(I dont think i spelled her last name right but Im not sure how you spell it.sorry guys)

[quote name='Sazumechan']Oh and Pat Benutar.(I dont think i spelled her last name right but Im not sure how you spell it.sorry guys)[/quote]
[COLOR=Gray]
It's Pat Benatar. "Benutar" sounds like a really awesome cross-breed between her and the minotaur... Talk about sweet. She's a solid singer though, good voice.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]
Why has nobody mentioned the Rolling Stones yet? I'm honestly surprised. Another one of my favourites, especially with that all-awesome song "Paint It Black".[/QUOTE][COLOR=Gray]

I thought about it, but the Stones really aren't one of my favourite bands... I love a lot of their stuff, but the real reason they were such a hugely successful band is because they represented an edgier, more rebellious alternative to the bubble-gum pop of the early Beatles recordings. Still, "Wild Horses", "Sympathy for the Devil", and "Painted Black" are some of the best songs ever.
[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]I've heard some very good things about Pink Floyd, but so far I never found any of their songs that I'm all too crazy about... I dunno, "Money" is sort of neat, but...
[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Gray]
Agreed. I put Pink Floyd on when I want to go sleep; amazing artistry in their music, but most of it was so freakin' dull. I guess it's just the kind of thing you've either got to be an artiste or high to fully appriciate. [b]Wish You Were Here[/b] is an amazing album, though, far better then Dark Side or the Wall.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]Jethro Tull is made of win and awesome. Rock-HeavyRock with a flute player? YES PLEASE. "Warchild" is a great album.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Gray]
Jethro Tull clocks in at number six on my all-time favourites, just missing the cut... Amazing band. They were incredibly flexible musically and Ian Anderson is amazing. I love how they can go from hard, bass-heavy albums like Aqualung and Warchild to light, folky stuff in Heavy Horses and Minstrel in the Gallery, and be equally good at both. They even dabble - successfully - in satire. Thick as a Brick is both hilarious and incredible musically. Next to Canned Heat, the best use of the flute in a band ever. They're still touring, too; I'm gonna get tickets to a show in November. Going to be sweet![/COLOR]

The best would be The Beatles. They have some competition in the area in the same way that Elvis has competition in being Elvis: Try as they might, no band has been able to muster the amazing sound and sheer influence The Beatles have. Ask any band today what the pinnacle of success is and each member will answer in unison that, in a perfect world, they would be just like The Beatles.

[quote name='Cat14']Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath are the ones I think have founded Horror Metal or the darker stuff when it comes to music.[/quote]

I [I]promise[/I] you there's no such thing as "Horror Metal". Alice Cooper had nothing to do with metal. Black Sabbath founded the entire metal genre.

Anyway, my favorite classic bands... King Crimson comes to mind instantly, as do the Beatles and Led Zeppelin. And, if you count them, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon - NWOBHM in general. But I don't think they count so much.

[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Led Zeppelin are good, so are Pink Floyd and The Who. Johnny Cash did some awesome stuff back in the day, and I've been known to get into Canned Heat on [i]occasion[/i]. The Doors, Frank Zappa, David Bowie, AC/DC the list goes on.

Except no Beatles. I hate the Beatles.[/font][/color][/size]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1]BUDDY HOLLY.
THE CRYSTALS.
THE SHANGRI-LAS.
THE SHIRELLES.
BOBBY DARIN.
BRENDA LEE.

I grew up with the oldies being the my Grandparent's raised me for 13 years. Those bands are the bomb! :)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=Nefertimon]Ah yes, Iron Maiden, the first and only metal band I like.
[size=1](Their songs "The Number of the Beast", "Run to the Hills", "Fear of the Dark", and "The Fugitive" rock, literally.)[/size][/QUOTE]

You should listen to some Judas Priest, in that case.

Also, just because I've been really into them lately, I'd strongly suggest picking up a copy of [B]Falconer[/B]'s "Chapters from a Vale Forlorn". Excellent album packed with incredibly catchy songs, and you might just like it if you're stoked on Maiden. Hell, you just might like it if you like [I]music[/I].

[quote name='Johnny Justjohnny']Next to Canned Heat, the best use of the flute in a band ever.[/quote]

Hmmm... I'm going to have to disagree with you here and go with [B]Falkenbach[/B] as best use of flute in a band.

I still say that Alice Cooper had some part in metal just like every band give something to the music they play. As for horror metal being real or not. I know its not real I was going off a website that i was looking at during the time I was writing the post. I was seeing what online stores put certain bands under and thats was what they had a few bands like Alice Cooper and such under at the time I looked. Sorry for the confussion.

[quote name='Cat14']I still say that Alice Cooper had some part in metal just like every band give something to the music they play. As for horror metal being real or not. I know its not real I was going off a website that i was looking at during the time I was writing the post. I was seeing what online stores put certain bands under and thats was what they had a few bands like Alice Cooper and such under at the time I looked. Sorry for the confussion.[/quote]

Ah, well that music is what's referred to as "shock-rock". Bands from various genres fit into this catagory (Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, etc. - basically bands with an edgy theatrical image and 'shocking' stage performance). Alice Cooper didn't play metal, and didn't contribute anything to it either (I do enjoy some of his stuff though).

No problem. The term "Horror Metal" just made me sad inside.

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Ah yes, I'd like to add more bands that come to mind. Judas Priest, and Guns N' Roses, and Radiohead, of course. All three of them have that good oldies feel, even though JP has just a small taste of that glam crap, they stuck to some catchy tunes with some good ol' fashion metal. Guns N' Roses were one of those bands that hated the glam scene, and were loved by metal fans over the nation, but were thought of as not going to get big. Now-a-days, they are one of the most famous bands from the old times besides BS, IM, Metallica and etc. And of course Radiohead. These guys had all of the stuff you need. Killerness. A little bit of Punk. Metal. Mega huge sideburns with long hair. Its all there, really.

And what else? Meat Loaf. He just plain out rocks.

And...ah...yes...Alice...hmm...his shows were quite....well, back then I'm sure it was shocking. I don't think he can beat Gwar or Slayer though at being shocking on stage. Indeed.[/B] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=indigo]I wouldn't necessarily say they are the best, but Huey Lewis and the News is certainly one of my favorites as far as older music goes. They're one of the only bands that I like just about everything they've put out. I especially like Back to the Future, Power of Love, Heart of Rock and Roll & Couple Days off. He's not the best singer but still I enjoy listening to his stuff.

Oh and Elton John gets a mention from me since I like a number of albums by him as well. And Van Halen. I always did like Jump. [/COLOR]

[quote name='"DeadSeraphim"][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial] Except no Beatles. I hate the Beatles.[/font][/color'][/size][/quote][size=1][color=DimGray]Wouldn't want to like something that's popular, now would you?

Billie Holiday is amazing.

&

The Rat Pack.

[/color][/size]

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Also, I'd like to add "The Police" to the list. They've made some of my favorite songs, that are catchy and soothing. O nthose days, that I just want to sing along to an oldies song and feel relaxed, I'll listen to them.

Also. The Doors. These guys made some really good old fashion rock songs with Keyboard riffs and the lot, making such songs "Peace Frog" and "The Other Side".

Last but not least is Cheap Trick. These guys were awesome, and they still are awesome. They made old rock hits, my favorite being "Surrender". I also adore the guitarist's signature guitar. That was one awesome multiple-necked beast. I've never seen anybody do it like Rick with this beast. It's five necked.

[CENTER][IMG]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:hM9uhUKrorMJUM:http://www.hamerguitars.com/img/vintage/rick_guitarpic1.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]