OtakuBoards

Favorite Video Game Villains

Aberinkula

[quote name='Semjaza']As lame as a reason this might be, I honestly think the number one, biggest factor as to why no one really seems to like him is how he dresses.[/quote]

[font=tahoma]As lame a reason as it sounds...it's indeed hard to argue with. Heh. But beneath that disturbing androgynous atmosphere beats the unwavering heart of a true villain. [/font]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Semjaza']As lame as a reason this might be, I honestly think the number one, biggest factor as to why no one really seems to like him is how he dresses.[/quote]

[color=deeppink]I think it's something of a valid argument; I mean, he doesn't come across as threatening at all in that thing. He's certainly a great schemer, on par with Kefka or Zeromous, but his appearence in no way would strike fear into anyone.

To be fair, Kefka also had a ridiculous getup, but it didn't hurt him as much because he was only 16-bit, and so nobody really noticed.

I had some problems with Kuja (mostly because he's just a whiney brat), but I'd still say he a decent villain.

I've always been pretty partial to Lynx. Now [i]he[/i] was a master manipulator that actually came across as threatening.

EDIT: While we're on the subject of Kuja... you know who the worst villain is? Necron.[/color]

[QUOTE=BKstyles][font=tahoma]

-[b]Jack Krauser[/b] from Resident Evil: He's cool and he just plain kicks ***...nothing really more to be said there. Plus, he's the funnest character to play in RE4 and the battle against him (the actual one, not the button prompt one) is one of the most exhilirating boss battles in the game's genre.
[/font][/QUOTE]Agreed. Krauser was definitely one of my most favorite fights in a videogame, and I like the fact that they gave us a whole big battlefield just to fight against him. Plus, nothing was more satisfying than to kill him using only the knife and nothing else.

As for[b] Eggman, [/b]he was much more cooler when he went by ?Dr. Robotnik?. However, he is still awesome in my book. Was it not cool to see all the different types of wacky machines he brought out to destroy Sonic?

[b]Magus[/b] from the Chrono Trigger series is another favorite villain of mine. It?s been a while since I?ve played the game, but I do remember enjoying his bad *** theme song whenever he appeared throughout the game. Also, it was fun to see one of those cool mysterious villains that was filled with vengeance towards the main villain of the game.

[b]Psycho Mantis[/b] from Metal Gear Solid is another amazing villain simply because he was an unusual bad guy that scared the crap out of me when he turned my whole tv screen black.

[quote name='Treble][b]Psycho Mantis[/b'] from Metal Gear Solid is another amazing villain simply because he was an unusual bad guy that scared the crap out of me when he turned my whole tv screen black.[/quote]

[font=tahoma]That reminds me, [b]Liquid Snake[/b] is right up there too. I think it's more the amazing voice acting then anything else, but he has that "in control" awesome sounding voice. That and playing both sides of the battlefield to keep track of Snake was deception at it's best. I have to say he lost some credability with me when he took over the body of a MGS villain that has more of my favor, and that kind of made things weird all around for me as an ocelot fan. In any case though, in MGS alone, he was a fantastic antagonist. [/font]

My favorite villains... aren't very villainous, when you get right down to it. It'd probably be more accurate to call them antagonists. All of them [spoiler]either get redeemed, switch sides or give way to a thoroughly evil foe.[/spoiler] None of them [spoiler]are the final bosses of their respective games.[/spoiler]

[B]Kuja[/B] from FFIX: The Outfit aside, I found a lot to like about Kuja as a character. Even his clothes didn't especially bother me; I got the impression that he was supposed to be more of a slither-outerer than some kind of manly, intimidating type. Great backstory & resolution.

[B]Magus[/B] from Chrono Trigger: Still one of the coolest characters I've seen in anything. [spoiler]After recruiting him, I didn't let him out of my party once.[/spoiler] Again, striking (and very well-told) backstory.

[B]Sydney[/B] from Vagrant Story: I daresay his garment of choice gives Kuja a serious run for his money. Unlike Kuja, he does radiate slick villainous characteristics. One might even call him badass. Then there's the moving--albeit wide open for interpretation--role he plays in the end.

[B]Albedo[/B] from Xenosaga: Crazy is passé, but Albedo still manages to be entertaining. [spoiler]The messed-up relationship between him and Junior[/spoiler] carries much of the emotional weight in Episode III.

So where are all the great female villains? Has more than one been mentioned in this entire thread?

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]
So where are all the great female villains? Has more than one been mentioned in this entire thread?

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[font=tahoma]Didn't see any in your list >.> (kidding :p)

Well The Boss is debateable but I guess it depends how you see her. Like I said, she isn't really a villain but she's one of the best characters ever made. Other than that...can't really think of any noteable female villains myself.

General Petrine from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance was kind of cool up until the point [spoiler]she admits to being afraid to die and apologizing for her failure[/spoiler] during The Great Bridge.[/font]

[quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink']EDIT: While we're on the subject of Kuja... you know who the worst villain is? Necron.[/color][/quote]

Oh God, that was so terrible. [spoiler]"i think i'll pop up and fight u with no build just cuz lol btw if u lose i MDK the universe"[/spoiler] I've seen Final Fantasy IX get an unfair rap in certain places, but even though I like it a lot, I have to admit the final boss is awful.

Of the villains mentioned so far, I agree with Ganondorf (from OoT on, though he's really fun to fight in LttP), Lynx, Magus, and Revolver Ocelot (though I prefer the older version from MGS 1 and 2). Actually, pretty much every villain in MGS is great except [spoiler]Decoy Octopus - sucks to be the dead one, loser.[/spoiler]

Bowser is sort of up there, too, but I like him best in the Mario RPGs when he's either a protagonist (Super Mario RPG, Super Paper Mario) or a limited antagonist (Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door).

As for new additions to the list... how about the entire cast of Punch Out!!? I've never seen a more wonderful bunch of stereotypes in my life. <3

[quote name='BKstyles][FONT=Tahoma']If we're talking about terrible villains with extremely little to no credability or build up, please god...do not forget Vayne Solidor.[/FONT][/quote]
Between him and Necron, I'd give Necron the edge. At least Necron had the element of surprise.

~Dagger~

[quote name='BKstyles][FONT=Tahoma']If we're talking about terrible villains with extremely little to no credability or build up, please god...do not forget Vayne Solidor.[/FONT][/quote]

[color=deeppink]Vayne might not have been dealt with very well, but at least he became [i]threatening[/i] at the end, and you had a good idea you were dealing with a powerful mofo.

Necron popped out of nowhere with absolutely no indication that he could do anything, with almost no explanation as to why he was there. I was confused as hell when it happened.[/color]

[QUOTE=Dagger]

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Good point. There are some great ones.

[B]Dorothy[/B] from [I]Galerians: Ash[/I] is one of the more freakier looking villains. She also has the i-Robot theme going."Two computer scientists develop an advanced self-replicating artificial intelligence, whom they called Dorothy. Dorothy grew in scope and influence quickly, and began to question why she should obey humans, whom she identified as inferior. Her creators told her of the existence of God, and that just as humankind must abide by the will of God, so must Dorothy obey her creators - humans. While Dorothy seemed to accept this explanation, she secretly began developing Galerians - a superior human race with psychic powers, for whom she would be God."-Wiki.

[B]Alma[/B] from [I]Ninja Gaiden[/I] for the Xbox. She's pretty hot if you're into snake-haired,purple dragon-skinned women. She is [spoiler]the sister of Rachel who was corrupted by Doku.[/spoiler] Anyone who has played the game would probably tell you she was a pain to fight. I've seen people quit the game because of her. The worst part is[spoiler] she doesn't stay down. You have to fight her three times.[/spoiler]
[/COLOR]

Ok I gotta go with ganondorf...on 3 occasions! 1) [spoiler]Ganon on Ocarina of time. When you first see him while you look through the window you just know he is evil. Then the attitude and ruthlessness he used when he was chasing princess zelda. Then when you talk to him when he plays the organ and the fact that he comes back after you beat him once![/spoiler] 2) [spoiler] On wind waker. His devious plot and his whole reason for taking the trifoce then the fact that he attacks and kidnaps without mercy. His laugh when the king gets the triforce instead of Ganondorf its...creepy. When he dashes and knocks Zelda's reincarnation out wow...and him using two swords as well as having awsome moves. But the fact that he gained weight takes the danger factor down a bit.[/spoiler] 3) and finally[spoiler] on Twilight princess. You have no clue its him until way later on. His manipulating the Twili person and his being run through with a sword but coming back to life and killing one of those spirit people. Then his using the twilight magic to posess Zelda and after you seemingly defeat him he comes back as a spirit which is horrifying. Then midn uses those shadow pieces and transports you away then ganondorf appears shortyl after having killed midna. * :animecry: * He just won't die!Then you still have to fight him two more times. Talk about tough to get rid of! This I have to say is the toughest and my favorite ganondorf of all![/spoiler] Sorry for all the spoiler stuff. :animesigh But I dont know what all might be considered a spoiler so I covered all the bases. lol :animeswea

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]
Best villain? Easy!

You; the Overlord in Overlord! Whats more evil than playing the villain? You control minions, kill whatever you want, take what you want and generally be a bad guy. Ahh..Its good to be boss and bad...A bad boss.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=deeppink]I honestly cannot think of any good female villains. Actually I can barely think of any female villains at all.

Edea from Final Fantasy XIII started out promising, but all that convoluted crap with the time-travelling-possesion really turned me off.

Grundy from Banjoo Kazooie isn't really interesting at all.

Actually, you know what? The queen from Chrono Trigger was pretty good. She had this whole "corrupted by power" thing going on, which I thought was done pretty well.

Does Mother Brain count? I'm pretty sure it's a female, but I hell, it's just a brain. Hm. I certainly find her threatening, so she's gotta be up there.

Other than those four, I can't think of any. Hm.[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]I honestly cannot think of any good female villains. Actually I can barely think of any female villains at all.

Other than those four, I can't think of any. Hm.[/color][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Umm, hello?![/COLOR][/FONT]

[center][img]http://www.electricferret.com/battle/contenders/kerrigan_1.jpg[/img][/center]

[quote name='White'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Umm, hello?![/COLOR][/FONT]

[center][img]http://www.electricferret.com/battle/contenders/kerrigan_1.jpg[/img][/center][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I have no idea who that is.[/color]

[COLOR="DimGray"][FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]I have no idea who that is.[/color][/QUOTE]

Go to your local video game store, look in the bargain bin and find the Starcraft Battlechest. You at least owe it to yourself to try the Single Player Campaign (though, I would strongly suggest Battle.net!).

How could you never have played Starcraft? Despicable. lol[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='White'][COLOR="DimGray"][FONT="Tahoma"]
How could you never have played Starcraft? Despicable. lol[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Well, I'm fairly poor, so for most of my life my family chose food over a computer. I stuck strictly to console games. Even when I eventually got one, it was incredibly crappy and wouldn't play any video games whatsoever.

The one I have now I've had for maybe 9 months, and when I got it I certainly wasn't looking for 9 year old games, heh.

And my local video game store doesn't sell computer games anymore, sadly.[/color]

You can find Starcraft at pretty much any department store under the sun for around $10. It's worth picking up.

There's a female villain in Shadow Hearts 2 that's not too bad. Not to mention the lead villain from Parasite Eve.

They're out there, but unfortunately they're mostly from games I've not played in a long time and thus I couldn't tell you much about them.

[quote name='Semjaza']

There's a female villain in Shadow Hearts 2 that's not too bad. Not to mention the lead villain from Parasite Eve.

[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Eh, Veronica was a huge sheep. A villain i suppose but certainly terrible at the role. She just had an....um....interesting outfit.
[/FONT]

[quote name='BKstyles'][FONT="Tahoma"]Eh, Veronica was a huge sheep. A villain i suppose but certainly terrible at the role. She just had an....um....interesting outfit.
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I agree, I've always hated that character type, and she was no exception. Her whole S&M deal was more funny than creepy in the end, though still rather annoying. I did like that they had her [spoiler]sleeping with Rasputin[/spoiler] though. You don't see that enough in RPGs...[/COLOR]

i thought rosso from FF7: Dirge of Cerberus was okay, except for her fake russian accent. she had that creepy quality that has to be present in any FF villain. her laugh just plain creeped me out.

now she really wasn't a villain per se in the latter parts of the series, but cammy from street fighter makes a damn good villian because she is a puppet of the world's favorite dictator M. Bison.

Guest Tri-Edge
[b].hack//G.U.[/b] [u]AIDA[/u]: Why? An online, er, virus if you will, that can control the actions of the players it infects, on and offline I think is freaking awesome. Not sure if it is considered a villain, but eh, why not?

[b]God of War[/b] [u]Ares[/u]: He's a God, he's huge, he has flames for hair and can throw a pillar halfway accross the world. That deserves my vote definately. =D