OtakuBoards

Favorite Video Game Villains

Aberinkula

[COLOR=Navy]Who's your favorite villain form any game in the world? List your top three, and why you love them.it can even be the hero who's not so hero-like.

This is my list!

1. Saix from kingdom hearts 2. He's just plain awesome! his voice actor is great. I lvoe the bersek theme of his his well.

2. Albedo form Xenosaga. Why? Because he's the perfect nut-job. The good villains are crazy and thirst for blood.

3. Magashi form phantasy Star Universe. I like him because he's calm, evil and his final form as just plain awesome![/COLOR]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My top 3 list:

1. King Koopa - Super Mario games: Everybody really likes to play Mario! But you might be beware that every Mario game, he's there! I just have to say, he's cute but really bad!
2. M. Bison (sometimes they called him Vega) - Street Fighter games: Whatever his name is, I really had more difficulty in winning the game, because he has dominant skills to take you down! He's very awesome when he fights one on one against anyone.
3. Count Dracula or his descendants?! - Castlevania: You might remember the Belmont linage. His last enemy might have been waiting for him to challenge him on the duel. [spoiler]Dracula is taking revenge against Belmont.[/spoiler] Just like the days, he really likes to stay awake in the night. I wish I were...

Sorry about my post for this one. These are the only villains I ever known since childhood. I hope it might help! >_<

[COLOR=DarkOrange]The G-Man from Half-Life is easily the best villain ever. He's so insidious! The fact that you never engage him in open combat just makes him freakier, since he's a puppet master controlling the whole course of history, or at least manipulating everything in it. Definitely, the G-Man is the best villain in video game history![/COLOR]

Albedo from [b]Xenosaga[/b]. Psychotic obsession with robotic dolls. Just seems funny but when that state is taken to the next level he is so great as a villain. In ep 2 where they explain his past it is great watching him fall into the psychotic state. Being able to regenerate is just a bonus.

Kefka from [b]Final fantasy VI[/b]. Probably, in my mind, just as psychotic as Albedo but he rose from a lowly minnion to take out the emperor of his country and then become dictator of the whole world.

Roger Bacon (an alias) from [b]Shadow Hearts[/b]. Wants to summon a god so as to destroy and recreate the world. The fact that this guy was originally[spoiler] a cardinal of the church[/spoiler] just makes him a lot more intricate.

[font=comic sans ms]I forgot where I've seen it, but I also saw Bison being called Vega and Vega being called Bison. A translation thing I think.

Anyway.

[b]The Boss[/b] (MGS3) - Probably the best villain in the gaming industry till this day. I hated it when she kept stripping my gun(s). But then again, I never got the hang of CQC so that was my fault. What else is there to say about her...

[b]Ocelot[/b] (MGS3) - I like the younger version instead of the older version. He was more flashy. Now only if he could still do most of that stuff as is he now....

[b]Lan Di[/b] (Shenmue) - What can I say about this guy other than him being the baddest of the bad... I want to experience fighting against him, so I wish they would hurry up and do Shenmue 3. Personality wise, he's just like your average silent villain, but I like characters like that so "shrugs".

That's it for now.[/font]

Guest Azuraga
I guess my favorites are:

[B]General RAAM[/B] from Gears of War. He was possibly one of the coolest bad guys I've ever seen. The first time you see him, RAAM just walks into the fight like theres no threat to him what-so-ever. He, honestly, points at Lee like a professinal wrestler does on T.V. to look awesome, but he really pulls it off. He is so cruel that he stares into the eyes of Lee, as he impales him on his blade. His blade was cool, but that Shotgun/Grenade lauchers gun (I think thats it) he carries when you fight him is sick. He managed to really be awe inspiring, even if he didn't say anything throughout the game.

[B]The End[/B]fromMGS3. Really, how many old guys kick *** like The End? When I first saw him, I thought "piece of cake." I was wrong. Fighting him was annoying, as he ran around like a friggin' leopard as he did his little "snipe and run" tactic. But, it was always funny as I snuck-up on him as he slept. LOL. He was alot of fun to fight, and he was a bit challenging on harder difficulties.

[B]Jack of Hearts[/B] from Fable. Of everything I saw in that incredible(yet short),RPG, one person that I just can't forget is Jack of Hearts. He's cruel, he's demented, and he'd sell his mother for 5 bucks. He always looked so cool to me, and he seemed to just imbody everything that is evil and malicious. He didn't care who died, just so long as he got what he wanted. He, to me, is one of the baddest bad guys in gaming( only wish the game had been longer :animecry: )

Okay, my top two are for the same reason (and one's name is a spoiler in itself.) Here goes:

[spoiler]Mithos Yggdrasil[/spoiler] and "Demon King" Dhaos ("Tales of Symphonia/Phantasia) : One thing I love about these two games is the fact that the villans aren't really villans. They are always trying to do what's best for their people. They're just going about it the wrong way, and so must be defeated. This adds depth to their characters and shows their humanity. Unlike the typical 2-Dimensional "I am evul I will kill j00z!" guys.

Ganondorf Dragmire/Mandrag Ganon (Yes I know "Dragmire" and "Mandrag" were gimmicks, but that doesn't make them any less awesome.) ("Legend of Zelda" series) : Then again, sometimes you just wanna tear it up with some evil, unredeemable jerk. Gan the Man does this excellently, even making giant pigs seem cool and menacing (of course, Ganon has a neck.)

[color=darkred]M.Bison (the guy with the red coat) was originally called Vega, Vega (the clawed-dude) was originally called Balrog, and Balrog (the boxer) was originally called M.Bison.

Upon localization in America, Capcom was afraid that a possible lawsuit from Mike Tyson might arise from the connection between himself and the boxer M.Bison (for obvious reasons), so as a result, they revolved the names of the three characters around. Only Sagat kept his original name.[/color]

[B]Bowser (Mario series)[/B] - He's just a lovable villain, and he's been around for so long now, he's a part of our history. Plus, even after being foiled over and over again, he gets back on his feet and devises a new plan for capturing Princess Peach! You gotta appreciate that.

[B]Morganna (.hack//IMOQ)[/B] - The fact that you never saw her true form (until maybe the last fight), and yet she screwed with The World so much, it's awesome.

And right now, I can only think of two for some reason. I'll just edit my post later when I can think of a third.

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Even though I haven't played much of [B]Xenosaga[/B], I haev to agree that [B]Albedo [/B] was pretty badass. The guy's evil laugh, especially in Japanese, is just plain awsome. the whole cutscene where [spoiler]Momo finds him in the room full of dead robot girls and he exhibits his regenerative powers was awesome. [/spoiler]Also, I find it interesting how certain parts are completely different in the American version from the Japanese one.

Otherwise... hm... there were two pretty cool villains from [B]Shadow Hearts Covenant[/B]. the first is [B]Nicolai [/B] who's just all around cool. He's the cool, collective type who obliges to the madmans commands until his own plans come into fruition. He's extremely knowlegable and he has a sense of humor, which is awesome. We never even really see him get angry, and his fight is pretty difficult. The final bad guy though, is [spoiler]Kato[/spoiler] who was also pretty cool. [spoiler]Throughout the game he seems to be on your side, but he ends up turning against you. He's cool in the way that he's mysterious but knows what he's doing at all times. I still haven't beaten him at the end of the game.[/spoiler][/COLOR]

my all time favorite is... bowser jr. of mario. i like him because under all that evil, everything he does is [spoiler]rooted in wanting to find his supposed mother[/spoiler], princess peach.
later

[size=1][color=red]Hidaboy, I added spoilers because there are people here who have yet to witness this. ~Phenom~[/size][/color]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]All of the psycopaths in Dead Rising were cool. none of them last all that long - usually you just have a cutscene, then a fight then a death cutscene, but they were by far the best part of the game. All of them have awesomely brutal deaths, but the best had to be the crazy cult leader guy. [spoiler]After you beat him he runs into the stage where the girl with te sword going trough her is and the thing falls down, and te sword imapales him through the head.[/spoiler] I just thought that was a great moment. Some of the psychos managed to be extremly frightning, like the Vietnam war vet. All the battle were really fun.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Wow, some of you have really unmemorable favourite video game villains. No offense but none of them are classics (save for Dracula, Bowser and Bison). Here are my top 3 in no particular order:

[U][B]Starcraft / Starcraft: Brood War[/B][/U]
[spoiler][B]Infested Kerrigan[/B][/spoiler] She's so incredibly badass, that she is the [i]Queen[/i] of all Zerg. Imagine having complete control over the coolest race in Starcraft. Just... so cool. And you even get to play as her, which is awesome.
[U]
[b]Zelda Franchise[/b][/U]
[b]Ganon(dorf)[/b] Okay, how can you not love Ganondorf. I mean seriously, he's absolutely magnificent. And to top it off he can even become a giant pig and just step on you! [i]So cool[/i].[/FONT][/COLOR]

[B]Also:[/B]
[center][img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/fuzemine/Ms_Pac_Man_Ghost.gif[/img][/center]

[QUOTE=White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]
[b]Ganon(dorf)[/b] Okay, how can you not love Ganondorf. I mean seriously, he's absolutely magnificent. And to top it off he can even become a giant pig and just step on you! [i]So cool[/i].[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Agreed. Especially since he had such nice orange hair.

I've also always been a huge fan of [b]Andross[/b] (and every single minion under him) from Starfox [N64 version]. He was a giant floating brain with tentacles! How is that not cool? Besides that, "Where is the creator?" is possibly the greatest line I've ever heard in a boss fight.

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]Otherwise... hm... there were two pretty cool villains from [B]Shadow Hearts Covenant[/B]. the first is [B]Nicolai [/B] who's just all around cool. He's the cool, collective type who obliges to the madmans commands until his own plans come into fruition. He's extremely knowlegable and he has a sense of humor, which is awesome. We never even really see him get angry, and his fight is pretty difficult. The final bad guy though, is [spoiler]Kato[/spoiler] who was also pretty cool. [spoiler]Throughout the game he seems to be on your side, but he ends up turning against you. He's cool in the way that he's mysterious but knows what he's doing at all times. I still haven't beaten him at the end of the game.[/spoiler'][/COLOR][/quote]

I wasn't a big fan of Nicolai as a villain, in fact I preferred [spoiler]Rasputan[/spoiler] in that. The whole final villain being [spoiler]Kato[/spoiler] was a suprise though as in the first game[spoiler]he is definitely on your side by the end of the Japan/china sections of the game[/spoiler].

[QUOTE=White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Wow, some of you have really unmemorable favourite video game villains. No offense but none of them are classics (save for Dracula, Bowser and Bison). Here are my top 3 in no particular order:

[U][B]Starcraft / Starcraft: Brood War[/B][/U]
[spoiler][B]Infested Kerrigan[/B][/spoiler] She's so incredibly badass, that she is the [i]Queen[/i] of all Zerg. Imagine having complete control over the coolest race in Starcraft. Just... so cool. And you even get to play as her, which is awesome.
[U]
[b]Ganon(dorf)[/b] Okay, how can you not love Ganondorf. I mean seriously, he's absolutely magnificent. And to top it off he can even become a giant pig and just step on you! [i]So cool[/i].[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I've never even played [B]Starcraft [/B] >_> and anyway, I thought of doing [B]Ganon [/B] or [B]Dr. Eggman [/B] or something, but while memorable, they are pretty shallow. For the most part they're just 'bwahaha I will rull you all' kind of villans. Now mind you, when it comes to villans, they absolutely must be evil. I can't stand villans who spend half the time making you feel sorry for them - that's always pretty lame - but at the same time I want them to have personality.

In response to [B]Meggido[/B], i didn't much care for [spoiler][B]Rasputin[/B].[/spoiler] He didn't really get much airtime and he was the time of overshadowing, overconfident guy who's always acting all flambouyant and dramatic only to get totally pwned. [B]Nicolai [/B] was a lot more fun because you saw more of him and you'd really been waiting to get the chance to fight him, and besides he pulled off being funny and calculating at once.

Also, i've yet to play the first [B]Shadow Hearts [/B] nor the prequel, nor the sequel, but I plan to at some point.[/COLOR]

The games I have played and rate villains

1. Kefka from Final Fantasy 6 or 3 (your wish), the way he was just made me wanted to defeat him personally.

2. Albedo is a villain I did enjoy in Xenosaga. His personality was far-beyond out of someone?s mind and plus, he was a cool one in my eyes.

3. Ganondorf (Legend of Zelda)- I always thought he was always a well-made enemy.

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]I've never even played [B]Starcraft [/B] >_> and anyway, I thought of doing [B]Ganon [/B] or [B]Dr. Eggman [/B'] or something, but while memorable, they are pretty shallow. For the most part they're just 'bwahaha I will rull you all' kind of villans. Now mind you, when it comes to villans, they absolutely must be evil. I can't stand villans who spend half the time making you feel sorry for them - that's always pretty lame - but at the same time I want them to have personality.[/COLOR][/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Waha? Who said anything about Eggman?

And Ganon is anything but shallow. He's been in almost every Zelda game and he has a pretty good story in each one. You could write a ten page essay on Ganon's history and still have to leave some stuff out. He's even got history before the games even start.

And when has Ganon ever made anyone feel sorry for him? I really don't think he cares what anyone cares. He doesn't even have minions. He just takes what is rightfully not his and rids anyone that opposes him (aside from Link, obviously).[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Waha? Who said anything about Eggman?

And Ganon is anything but shallow. He's been in almost every Zelda game and he has a pretty good story in each one. You could write a ten page essay on Ganon's history and still have to leave some stuff out. He's even got history before the games even start.

And when has Ganon ever made anyone feel sorry for him? I really don't think he cares what anyone cares. He doesn't even have minions. He just takes what is rightfully not his and rids anyone that opposes him (aside from Link, obviously).[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]>_< I wasn't just talking about Ganon, I was talking about bad guys in general.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]
And when has Ganon ever made anyone feel sorry for him? I really don't think he cares what anyone cares. He doesn't even have minions. He just takes what is rightfully not his and rids anyone that opposes him (aside from Link, obviously).[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I always considered Twin Rova (or how ever you spell it), the twin witches to be his minions in the Zelda games that they appeared in, i.e OOT and the oracles games. I would also have to say that [spoiler] Zant[/spoiler] definitely comes off as being one of Ganon's underlings.

@ 2007DigitalBoy
You must play Shadow hearts 1. It is great and it doesn't skimp on the gore which the other two seem to have less of as they were made. the opening cut scene will blow your mind. I haven't played Koudelka which is the prequel to the series, but I'm currently playing through the third in the series and don't think too highly of it so far.

I don't know, I felt kind of bad for Ganondorf at the end of Wind Waker. His closing quote was quite good.

Storywise, though, I don't really think there's much you could say about him that wouldn't just be repeated when you write about another game. It's generally the same basic theme over and over again.

[QUOTE=Phenom][font=comic sans ms]I forgot where I've seen it, but I also saw Bison being called Vega and Vega being called Bison. A translation thing I think.

Anyway.

[b]The Boss[/b] (MGS3) - Probably the best villain in the gaming industry till this day. I hated it when she kept stripping my gun(s). But then again, I never got the hang of CQC so that was my fault. What else is there to say about her...

[b]Ocelot[/b] (MGS3) - I like the younger version instead of the older version. He was more flashy. Now only if he could still do most of that stuff as is he now....
[/font][/QUOTE]

[font=tahoma]I agree with both, except that I don't consider The Boss to be a villain so to speak. All because you [spoiler]fight her[/spoiler] doesn't really do it for me to call her a word associated with antagonist. Her story is much more complicated than that, and there's a lot to appreciate about her then just simply labeling her as something so simple.

However she is one of the best characters in gaming history, that I agree with. Definitely a pleasent change from the typical female role that many VG girls have come to play nowadays (not that I don't like those roles either...), The Boss is someone I can admire on another level for a lot of things associated with her personality and qualities...and coming from me that means quite a lot.

The same could be said about Ocelot, but only taking MGS3 into consideration. Taking the entire series it's safe to eventually be able to call him a rightful villain. Either way, whether it's young ocelot or old ocelot, he's one of the coolest cats out there no doubt.

That being said, some other villains on my top list, let's see...

-[b]Kuja[/b] from FF9: A terribly underrated antagonist for whatever reason, possibly due to the status of the game itself in relation to it's sister games. In any case, Kuja is extrordinarily clever and has the mental game down, which is hands down the most important part about being a villain. You have to be headstrong, you have to be intellegent, and you have to be several steps ahead of the good guys. A brilliant mind makes that all possible. He may not be as hands on as many other villains out there, but that's not a big deal considering his personality.

-[b]Kharan Ramsus[/b] from Xenogears: A skilled combatant driven by his inferiority complex to simply be the better man. It's the way a classic rivalry should be, and Ramsus brings it to life with his heartfelt dialogue, his sincere ambition, and the increasing changes in his personality throughout the game that turn him into a frightful foe on the battlefield, and just a tad bit more and more unstable in the head. That isn't to be mistaken for weak-willed however, as Ramsus never once gives up, never ones loses sight of his true goal, and always manages to bring himself together when it counts. In light of everything he goes through as well, his loyal followers "The Elements" always stay by his side. Plus, Vendetta is a friggen cool looking gear.

-[b]Jack Krauser[/b] from Resident Evil: He's cool and he just plain kicks ***...nothing really more to be said there. Plus, he's the funnest character to play in RE4 and the battle against him (the actual one, not the button prompt one) is one of the most exhilirating boss battles in the game's genre.

-[b]The Turks[/b] from FF7: Enough said...[/font]

[quote name='BKstyles][font=tahoma]-[b]Kuja[/b'] from FF9: A terribly underrated antagonist for whatever reason, possibly due to the status of the game itself in relation to it's sister games. In any case, Kuja is extrordinarily clever and has the mental game down, which is hands down the most important part about being a villain. You have to be headstrong, you have to be intellegent, and you have to be several steps ahead of the good guys. A brilliant mind makes that all possible. He may not be as hands on as many other villains out there, [/font][/quote]

As lame as a reason this might be, I honestly think the number one, biggest factor as to why no one really seems to like him is how he dresses.