OtakuBoards

Strawberry Panic

Guest HarukaT21

Guest HarukaT21
Does anyone know what this could be from?
[IMG]http://idata.blogmaster.fr/0/01/48/46/yuri/queenprinceftw7na.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Panic!][u]Strawberry Panic[/u][/url], a recent and rather poorly done yuri anime based on a series of light novels. (Hint: they're both girls.) The anime may or may not be licensed (I can't remember; if it is, Media Blasters has it), but the novels are licensed and will be released by Seven Seas (who also put out the Boogiepop novels). The story is serialized in Dengeki G's, a bishoujo magazine.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Panic!][u]Strawberry Panic[/u][/url], a recent and rather poorly done yuri anime based on a series of light novels. (Hint: they're both girls.) The anime may or may not be licensed (I can't remember; if it is, Media Blasters has it), but the novels are licensed and will be released by Seven Seas (who also put out the Boogiepop novels). The story is serialized in Dengeki G's, a bishoujo magazine.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]that article disappointed me the minute I scrolled over 'intimate lesbian' and saw they were two different links >_> In any event, nothing is more annoying than crappy yuri shows, especially ones that don't put out. Not much is more annoying than watching girls flirt all day only to never establish a relationship thill the very end and not even have sex, or at least insinuate that they did. I haven't seen this anime, but I can tell just from Dagger's description...[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Dagger]Bzzt. Strawberry Panic is probably the most explicit non-hentai yuri anime out there. But that doesn't stop it from being a lame show. :p

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]>_< In that case, I will need you to kindly tell me exactly why it is lame before I open the streamers...[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Dagger]Stupid plot, stupid characters... but hey, you might enjoy it. Lord knows plenty of people have. Don't let my bitterness dissuade you.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]no, see, that sounds like a crappy show. I consider myself to have stupidly high standards so, yeah. AVOID.[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange']Not much is more annoying than watching girls flirt all day only to never establish a relationship thill the very end and not even have sex, or at least insinuate that they did.[/COLOR][/quote]That can be annoying, or it can be [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria-sama_ga_Miteru][u]pretty much one of my favorite shows ever[/u][/URL]. Marimite practically oozes eroticism, especially in the first season, but the sex thing never comes up (we get maybe two kisses in the entire series). Everything's in little sideways hints and ambiguous signals - frusterating for the horny viewer wanting nothing more than a horizontal cha cha, but somehow magical to anyone who can get over the learning curve.

Strawberry Panic is a terrible show. It's not enough that they took everything from Marimite and replaced half the shoujo (the flowers, the glances that last forever, the designs so sharp and angular you could open a beer bottle with them) with backstocked moe. Oh no. It totally misses what the older show had long understood, namely that there are distinctions between cuteness, sexuality, and eroticism (Marimite partakes in the first and third a lot, but almost never the second). The effect while watching SP is like you have a short, pudgy guy sitting behind you, constantly whispering into your ear: "They're all gay, you know!!" At every big moment: "Ha, oh man! Those girls totally want to have sex." Right after a scene ends: "Bet they're lezzing it up, eh? Eh??? I'll tell ya, I bet that short one's the one on top, right? She's feisty! She's totally giving that other one the ol' [i]magic carpet ride[/i], you get it?? ...I mean to say they're having SEX. They're SCREWING right now. SEX SEX SEX. Because they're LESBIANS and they enjoy having INTERCOURSE with WOMEN, and right now that's what they're doing. SEX."

Good god, give me real shoujo - coy to the point of absurdity - rather than this horrible imitation stuff spawned from an unfortunate one-night stand with moe (shoujo must have been really, really drunk). Not every show needs to be one where you can look up the dress of its licensed figurines and see the girls' panties.

[QUOTE=Fasteriskhead]The effect while watching SP is like you have a short, pudgy guy sitting behind you, constantly whispering into your ear: "They're all gay, you know!!" At every big moment: "Ha, oh man! Those girls totally want to have sex." Right after a scene ends: "Bet they're lezzing it up, eh? Eh??? I'll tell ya, I bet that short one's the one on top, right? She's feisty! She's totally giving that other one the ol' [i]magic carpet ride[/i], you get it?? ...I mean to say they're having SEX. They're SCREWING right now. SEX SEX SEX. Because they're LESBIANS and they enjoy having INTERCOURSE with WOMEN, and right now that's what they're doing. SEX."
[/QUOTE]

[size=1]... that is the best thing I've EVER heard. XD

Some people had actually recommended this show to me, since they heard I was looking for yuri. However... these descriptions... I'm not even going to bother finding it. Oh my.
(I like that red dress in the picture though. Reminds me of a fancy milk maid outfit, haha.)[/size]

One time, on a trip to North Carolina with my friends, the trunk would not stay closed. It was decided that two of us would lay halfway in the trunk and hold it down until we got something to keep it relatively shut.

We watched Strawberry Panic on my laptop for around an hour, so I can say it's a good distraction if you're ever...holding a trunk closed in a car and your arms are freezing.

• 7 months later...
[SIZE="1"]I actually find this anime pretty good. A lesbian friend of mine recommended it to me and from what I heard. This anime actually has a plot, unlike other yuri which gets straight to the point of nothing but sex. So, I do recommend this anime. You ought to know if it is good because if I find an anime bad or annoying, I stop after the first episode. At least give it a chance before you hop onto the Dagger bandwagon. [/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]I watched this a while ago and found it kind of boring. Of course, I did bother to watch it all the way through, so I wouldn't quite say it's terrible. But I can't really recommend it.

The main problem I had was that the show seemed almost entirely driven by sexual tension. There was very little actual amusement or cuteness to be had, apart from a few characters I liked. Sure, there were different pairs and complications with them but mostly it was the same theme getting beaten into the ground over and over again, right up to the end.

The whole Etoile thing and the story revolving around it seemed pretty stupid to me as well. A petty popularity contest between characters I don't care about, wow! I really don't care. Pretty much every character from Spica annoyed me and about half from Miator did as well; Le Rim seemed like the only one of the three schools not filled with stuck up prudes. Ironically, by steering clear of basically the entire main story the Le Rim characters became my favorites in the series.[/color]