OtakuBoards

What is OB?

Guest Copycatalyst

Otakuboards is different from other forums because it actually makes the effort to make sure that people are posting in an intelligent and respectful manner, which seperates it from other boards, where one liner posts rule supreme. I help run a Forum for gaming in my hometown and there was a thread where the people posted one liners back and forth for like an entire page! The worst part about it was that the mods didn't do anything about it. I know the guy that is the system administrator and he helped solve the problem, but I feel the problem should have been quelled long before that. You don't get that kind of stuff on the Boards here.

I don't mind getting called on my grammar sometimes, but to tell the god honest truth, sometimes it's just splitting hairs. I would understand if I typed without periods or just typed long sentagraphs, but if you are going to get me on not capitalizing or something like that...come on. There's a lot worse that you can bust me for. But I love that people care enough to make sure that the quality of posting stays high.

That being said, I can't agree with you this time Copycatalyst about the quality of posts slipping. We should hold all members to a posting standard, however not all memers post long-winded anecdotes like others do. I'm personally in favor of being short and to the point, if you can make at least two good paragraphs of posting goodness, then good for you. It's the one liner posts that irritate me the most.

As for OB connecting people, it certainly has netted me some great friends that I wouldn't trade for the enitre world. I've met tons of people, but I find myself often speaking with my friends here than I would with my real world friends, just because I know how friends are in big groups of people. Here is a llittle more intimate.

OB is a great haven for those of us who like to speak our minds and express our opinions without the fear of societal ridicule and the oftentimes "WTFOCKLE" (I stole that from Copycatalyst ^_^) look you would get from others. OB has people who are really in tune with their surroundings and love to discuss things in length with you. We may argue from time to time, or on every thread...but we still are friends in the end correct?

So congrats to all and thanks to those who work on the threads so dilligently.

For those about to rock....We salute you.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial"][quote name='Sesshomarufan']That being said, I can't agree with you this time Copycatalyst about the quality of posts slipping. We should hold all members to a posting standard, however not all memers post long-winded anecdotes like others do. I'm personally in favor of being short and to the point, if you can make at least two good paragraphs of posting goodness, then good for you. It's the one liner posts that irritate me the most.[/QUOTE]
One liner posts often say more than three or four paragraphs of ********.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim'][COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial"]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Most long posts tend to be unread by me, with the exception of Copycatalyst's and Retribution's. They tend to be really verbose, but hey they look like people really put thought into their posts doesn't it?

OB is what's in its meta tags.

[QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

I'm fine with that. Most of these other qualities are true of any message board, I would suppose. I think it's hard to really define any community as one set of descriptors may be true of one group of people on the site, but completely wrong for another.

I was actually thinking about this the other day because I remember hearing something about James being interested in advertising this place elsewhere... The thought entered my mind that that would just be incredibly hard to do because I'm not sure of a sentence that could adequately phrase what it is. Something like a Google adsense ad seems almost impossible to handle well lol.

[color=crimson]OB is a message board.

The members of the community are diverse and are clumped together, spread out between the US/Canada, Europe and Australia/NZ. Their personalities vary. There are self centered, misguided people who relish being dramatic as if addicted to it. There are people who turn the most common conversations into extensive spiels. There are more normal people and more eccentric people. There are morally conscious individuals, there are amoral individuals. Heads butt, friendships exist. Some cannot stand others.

The attitude you have towards it is your own.

I come to OB to talk. If this site falls by the wayside, if it turns into Gaia Online, if it does this, it does that; it will do that. It's plainly obvious there is a plethora of actively concerned people who take this site into deep consideration in their lives. I enjoy this site. I've met fine people here, some I've known for years. There are memories here, yet I cannot find it in myself to reach that level of seriousness when certain discussions arise. Discussions where people sound so legitimately alarmed at the possibility that this web site might do this, might do that; are so serious about the fate of this site. I do not mind that effort I just do not find it appealing to join.

If I can come here and talk then it's fulfilled it's label of "message board". If there are discussions, I might join them. One sentence, one paragraph, one page. Netspeak, english. Anime, politics, history, what kind of tea you like, Lord of the Rings Online. It's all conversation to me.

I'll leave the serious deliberations to those who have the time and honest want to do so.[/color]

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']Most long posts tend to be unread by me, with the exception of Copycatalyst's and Retribution's. They tend to be really verbose, but hey they look like people really put thought into their posts doesn't it?[/QUOTE][size=1]It's an art to create a solid one-liner dealing with all the **** that someone else would need four paragraphs for.

On the topic, I just go with [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=782150&postcount=22]Nerdsy's post[/url], because it's about exactly what I would've said. So, I'm happy that I decided to scan the thread first to save myself the trouble. [b][color=green]Th[/color][color=gold]an[/color][color=red]ks[/color][color=pink], N[/color][color=orange]er[/color][color=purple]ds[/color][color=turquoise]y![/color] ^_~[/b][/size]

Guest Copycatalyst
[quote name='DeadSeraphim'][COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial"]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Kind of like your one-liner one-sentence post shows what you're really saying, which is throwing petty insults at me? ;)

Actually, to the contrary, one-liner posts often say less than 3-to-4 paragraph posts because by virtue of what words are, if they are expounded upon in entire paragraphs they often contain more of the [i]soul[/i] and the [i]actual intended meaning[/i] of the poster writing the post.

Mwhahahahaha. Dead, you're dead already, do you really want me to make you Mitchkill? You know you cannot beat me in a wordtango, so go and dance with your alcohol and cigarettes. . .and please post only constructive, meaningful things in my thread--not one-liner posts which do not say more than 3-to-4 paragraph posts, and only show your own idiocy. Thank you. Also I don't even know what word is behind those stars. . .I assume it's also a word as equally meaningless as what the words that aren't starred say.

See what I mean about being really verbose? He just said that his posts are better beacause they're long and they have very large words in them. Plus he added that people who write one liner posts are idiots because they don't pour their "souls" into the posts, whatever that means.

Now I know that people don't always have long anecdotes to say, but if we are going to write a one liner, let's make it meaningful? Not just something to the effect of....[I]hahahhahaha that's true, lol[/i]. That seems so more suited to an IM or PM conversation, where the people can respond to each other quickly.

Guest Copycatalyst
[quote name='Sesshomarufan']See what I mean about being really verbose? He just said that his posts are better beacause they're long and they have very large words in them. Plus he added that people who write one liner posts are idiots because they don't pour their "souls" into the posts, whatever that means.

Now I know that people don't always have long anecdotes to say, but if we are going to write a one liner, let's make it meaningful? Not just something to the effect of....[I]hahahhahaha that's true, lol[/i]. That seems so more suited to an IM or PM conversation, where the people can respond to each other quickly.[/QUOTE]

lol. My facetious chesire cat, you are, mwhahaha.

To understand what I must say, you must have the ability to never be mollified in the face of [i]my passion[/i]; my passion is bloodhoney and in the face of plastic bees, their stingers emerge and their moon-like passions suffuse and melt as dancing blades of grass that cut at the color of this world. . .

One-liners are for linear squares who are trying to be circles. One-liners are for Newtonian physicians of their lives; whereas we all stand, if we may, upon quantum shores of the seas of beauty. So it's your choice--be an Al** that loves to write swear words and rebel in the drollest ways possible--Or go with the rabbit, Neo, to find M.

I've got an M on my face and it makes me Majin M. It's a Majora's Mask of linking images like broken birds cut into deatheggs.

What? Didn't understand my verbosity? This time I'm actually not making my paragraphs thick with the sickness of my frustrations?

What? You don't even know what to say to my face? Oh, what are you going to tell me? That you don't understand what I'm saying just like when you assumed Nietzsche was a nihilist? :p

Yeah. . .I think if anything, OB is the chemical's molecule; forget the cat's pajama's or the Alan's insubordination. :D

[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]yeah, see, the thing is I don't feel the need to expound on myself. I saw what I come to say and I say it efficiently. 3 - 4 paragraphs of saying the same thing with references to the Matrix and my alcoholism are unneccesary, cause like, i got it all from your first paragraph. You think you're better cause you go on at length and I don't **** around. That's brilliant. Go you.

[i]No one cares[/i].[/font][/color][/size]

Guest Copycatalyst
[quote name='DeadSeraphim'][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]yeah, see, the thing is I don't feel the need to expound on myself. I saw what I come to say and I say it efficiently. 3 - 4 paragraphs of saying the same thing with references to the Matrix and my alcoholism are unneccesary, cause like, i got it all from your first paragraph. You think you're better cause you go on at length and I don't **** around. That's brilliant. Go you.

[i]No one cares[/i].[/font][/color][/size][/QUOTE]

You are so fickle and easy to annoy. It is amusing.

[size=1]
I know it's completely irrelevant, but here's my pretentious picture I drew of this situation. I call the piece "Singing Cat Annoys Old Dog". It's a metaphoric piece, where the cat represents Mitchy and the dog is of course Alan.

[URL="http://otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26266&stc=1&d=1183678750"]http://otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26266&stc=1&d=1183678750[/URL][/size]

Hah I get it. You should draw an apple and an orange next.

*Chesire cat grin* Ah Copycatalyst, you have discovered me...or have you? I'd love to side with you but you again wrote a long winded soloquiy that didn't needed to be written. A simple, easy for the common reader to understand kind of thing would have sufficed. I can insult a person in less than a sentence, if you know what I mean. Just make sure if you follow the rabbit down the whole that you make sure that you know what's on the otherside, grasshopper.

Guest Copycatalyst
Lol, that's nice, Ajeh. It's too bad they slit the chesire cat's throat, so now there's just chemire cats, isn't it, Sess?

It's a mess, that's what it is. And I mean that in a good way. Less messy than a lot of others, more messy than a few, but there's a charm to it which other boards don't have. The folks here didn't land in Ohh Bee because they're in fifth grade and this is the first message board they ever stumbled across; they're here because they love all this crazy stuff, the collective mania of Japan, and they enjoy talking to others sharing the same pathology.

A year and a half ago I took this place up as an experiment in forcing myself how to learn. It still is, in part; internetwise I come from very old communities which haven't had any new members in months, and in grad school most of the people I hang out with are just as insufferable as I am. So it's always a shocking (and occasionally refreshing) bucket of cold water in the face to come here every day and find new folks who've never seen an episode of Macross, or who've never heard of Kant. It forces me to try to reconsider those things and others in new ways, and keeps me from getting lazy and complacent. As an impetus for [i]thinking[/i] I find Ohh Bee indispensable.

Then there's the veterans, OtakuBoards' great gems of wisdom (you know who you are), many of whom know way more about this stuff than I do and are still willing to tolerate my mouthing off about it. Not to mention my dopey sense of humor.

There's also some stuff going on in the Creative Works area, so I've heard. Troublemakers, the whole lot.

To sum up: it's a mess.

There is an old saying that says "a clean desk is a sure sign of a sick mind". If this board was running squeaky clean, I would look into seeing if all the members were robots like in the Stepford Wives.

The chesire cat can take his own head off, so slitting his throat is worthless Copycatalyst. He's practically indestructable!

Guest Copycatalyst
Oh, they slit its throat like it was a flowerstem, trust me. Now there's just the chemire cats. If its head is so far from itself and laying in its other-area, that's just what happens, you know. It might be a chesire ***** and all, but really, there is more to life than pure rust lust and hedonpeople.

lol @ faster's post.

I'd like to be able to say, "quit debating one-liners vs dissertations and get back on topic," but I'm not really sure what the topic was in the first place, and I think only the effervescent, philosophical brains of Copycatalyst and **** really have an inkling.

Either way, keep bickering over posting styles to PM or IM, if you would.

[quote name='Raiyuu']...and I think only the effervescent, philosophical brains of Copycatalyst and F*head really have an inkling.[/QUOTE]
While we're merrily capering around & being off-topic, I thought I'd pop in to say that this is the best line I've read all week. :whoops:

~Dagger~

[COLOR=#503f86]OtakuBoards is a forum for OtakuBoards members. It's not really that much about anime discussion any more- theOtaku's news feed appears to take up more of the anime-centric traffic who are into discussing things. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503f86]The impression I get from reading most of the threads in Otaku Lounge is that the site is now primarily for people who have been here for a relatively long time (say, six months plus) and who've managed to work themselves into the more verbal, prominent OB populace. To me it looks like a fair number of members join up just to report problems in the MyOtaku Suggestions/Feedback thread, and I haven't seen that much of an evolution in the community for a while. I don't consider it nearly as open or welcoming as I used to- there's a fair amount of cliquiness and hostility that I find a little unnerving, and that's even with having known most people here for a while. I could be wrong, though- I could just be looking at the wrong threads.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503f86]But it's fine, really- it's for the people who post here, and since I don't it doesn't make any difference what I think of it. As long as people are going to contribute to the site then it's worth keeping it going and it's more or less serving its purpose.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Otakuboards is one of the longest running message boards I've ever seen. I came here in 2001, left, came back in 2003, and left again. And coming back a after a year or so, this place is still growing strong.

I noticed that too, Solo. There are several cliques and tight-knit groups here. I am reminded everyday that this society is just like a high school. Then again, everywhere you go you get that. I do not care so much for cliques anymore, but I miss the old days in 2003 and all those silly AIM chats with the boys: Shinmaru, Syk3, Sennen, Charles, James, Deathknight, Desbreko, and so on. Fun times, fun times. I miss Braidless_Baka, KKC, and Queen Asuka! T_T

I feel that OB may of lost some of it's personality from becoming so obsessed over quality. I kind of miss the old days, but I guess the OB now is not so bad. It doesn't remind me of an encyclopedia...yet.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiyuu']I'd like to be able to say, "quit debating one-liners vs dissertations and get back on topic," but I'm not really sure what the topic was in the first place, and I think only the effervescent, philosophical brains of Copycatalyst and **** really have an inkling.[/QUOTE]I'm not sure why this got censored (according to Dagger's quote the second party here is me) but in any case it's incorrect since I never have any idea what's going on. I just took it as another variation on the "why are you on Ohh Bee" kind of thread.

Style-wise (OT, but this is the only comment I'm going to make on it) I'd rather not be compared to [URL="http://endofdreams.animeblogger.net/images/eodimages/eod-CGS02.jpg"][U]C.C.[/U][/URL], but I guess it's inevitable ("oh, he sounds pretentious too!"). Keep in mind that I'm at a huge disadvantage: it takes me hours to cobble together a mediocre essay-length post, while he seems to be able to free associate one together near-instantly. I feel like John Henry challenging the steam engine.