OtakuBoards

What is OB?

Guest Copycatalyst

Guest Copycatalyst
I mean yeah, as much as you might call me some pretentious, prissy, pompous, I'm sorry to say I'm not. Well, the main point of this thread was to instigate the fact that we need to revise OB in some ways, and to bring up some hefty issues I think are wrong with the place. But no one listened to those, and those who did already commented on them (James being one), so now I'm listening to this mod try to bully me around because we're having a bit of fun and going "off topic." So whatever. Sorry I tried to have fun and enjoy OB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111111

You can be Mr. Mod, but please do it in a kind matter. I know you're trying to hide your insults but I can see them. My mind is not "effervescent" and I know you are saying "philosophic" in this sarcastic or mean-spirited way, which is not kind whatsoever. So in the future please do not make little insults and jabs at me in your post, unless you're willing to receive them in like (which I cannot do since you're a "mod" and I'm merely a "member," and can get banned for doing such, while apparently you think it's your job to do that and you have the right to, so again, whatever).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#606060]I don't really think there were any insults there; you were just told to keep the bickering and insults to PM (though that's probably not advisable, lol).

I don't really feel the need to keep saying it, so this will be the last time: there's a huge difference between going off topic and posting absolute rubbish that nobody is going to wade through...and actually having fun. The former is probably a chore for everyone, the latter is supposed to be a bit more inclusive I think.

I've already addressed your issues with OB pretty concisely in my original post in this thread. If you have any [i]constructive[/i] suggestions, PM me. Otherwise, let's keep the thread going as it's been going (i.e. "What is OB?" rather than "What should OB be?")

I think that's all pretty fair.[/color]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060] (i.e. "What is OB?" rather than "What should OB be?")

I think that's all pretty fair.[/color][/QUOTE]

Indeed. And I think Solo Tremaine hit it on the nose when he said that this is a place for discussion rather than anime news and so forth, which is mostly done by the Otaku.com
This is a place where like minded otaku (from many areas, not just anime) can argue, bicker and insult each other if need be. OB is definitely a haven to writers and intellectuals, whereas the other sites (the otaku, Myotaku) are centered around different things, i.e. theotaku for anime news, previews, reviews, etc and myotaku for blogging and brining people closer together in a more intimate setting than a message boards would be. I imagine that Copycatalysts' posts in his blog could easily take up most of one page though! ^_^

Guest Copycatalyst
Actually, my first intention was a more inclusive question of "What should OB be?" which is included in the question, "What is OB?" but fair enough. It's just that everyone took this thread and decided it was to be about what OB is, specifically, and actually I first created the thread in hilarity due to Charles' situation, as well as how so few actually wanted to go in-depth about the beauty thing. My entire first post was rife with sarcasm, wit, and humor, and it seems most took it serious (in fact one person quoted my "Otakuboards is in the eye of the beholder" statement and said they agreed with me when I was merely kidding and making fun of the past "What is Beauty?" thread). So whatever, lol, it wasn't necessarily meant to be what it has turned into. But then again all threads here turn out like this. . .so I think I'll just go to a different forum that is actually intelligent, and values quality posting, and even artistic, poetic posts and doesn't call them "not fun" and be on my way. . .because sooner or later I am going to get banned just for having "fun" which is not "fun" according to James' terms I guess. . .Anyway, what you said is fine, James. It's just what this place is I guess. I'm done trying to do anything and I'm basically just holding my hands up with a "Fine, I'm done" kind of way.

[quote]Actually, my first intention was a more inclusive question of "What should OB be?" which is included in the question, "What is OB?" but fair enough.[/quote]

[color=#606060]Who could tell? Some parts of your post indicated the former and some indicated the latter.[/color]

[quote]My entire first post was rife with sarcasm, wit, and humor, and it seems most took it serious (in fact one person quoted my "Otakuboards is in the eye of the beholder" statement and said they agreed with me when I was merely kidding and making fun of the past "What is Beauty?" thread). So whatever, lol, it wasn't necessarily meant to be what it has turned into. But then again all threads here turn out like this. . .so I think I'll just go to a different forum that is actually intelligent, and values quality posting, and even artistic, poetic posts and doesn't call them "not fun" and be on my way. . .because sooner or later I am going to get banned just for having "fun" which is not "fun" according to James' terms I guess[/quote]

[color=#606060]It was rife with sarcasm, wit and humor? Where?

I'm sorry but I think most people interpreted it as being a vague and garbled set of comments with no apparent direction or clear foundation. Put simply, people had to wade through the post and try to work out what the hell it was saying.

Not all threads turn out like this - only idiotic ones that have no real purpose and end up becoming some ostensible demonstration of how artistry and good humor are being quashed on OB, when the underlying purpose has nothing to do with this at all (the underlying purpose probably being far more narcissistic in nature).

If you find random gibberish to be artistic and poetic, that's great. Have fun with that. The problem is that most people here find it annoying and largely undecipherable. Other sites might allow that - this one doesn't, lol.

Believe me, if you think I'm the only one making a judgement about what's "fun", you're very wrong. If your idea of "fun" is to come here and frequently insult the site, the staff and the members while simultaneously contradicting yourself at every turn...well, I really have no problem saying that this kind of fun isn't welcome at OB, lol.

Come on, wake up to yourself. I've had the good humor and respect to put up with this tripe for long enough. You don't like OB because it doesn't welcome your self-obsessed rants - we get that. Since you apparently can't drag yourself away from the site (despite hating it), I'll do the job for you.[/color]

[COLOR="Purple"]Oi, I don't understand why people continue to join Froums that they hate. I just never really got that. Really the more you post while you hate it, the more arguments that person might cause. And right now, OB just isn't in the mood to be hassled by arguments . I admit I've been part of a few, but I've been trying to stray away from quoting people unless its on topic. A perfect example of my idotic ramblings was in the thread where pictures of ourselves were posted. some of my posts were deleated.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Navy"]So in context, OB is really a great place. Other sites I've been to had rude staff, rude members, and a bunch more crap. Whenever mods would tell me to buckle up here, they treated me with respect.

When we have fun, it's [B]really[/B] fun. me and DB like to ramble about crap through PMs a lot more now a days. Currently we're running a project in the arena which I think is going to be fun! Plus the music/movies/TV forum has got me into much more diverse though about what I listen to. I've also started to visit other parts of the site. and they're also fun!

I've noticed my posts are becoming better as the months pass.

Really OB is my home away from home, and possibly the greatest forum on the web by my standards.

[B]Cheers OB! you've made a fine, fine site![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]Who could tell? Some parts of your post indicated the former and some indicated the latter.[/color]

[color=#606060]It was rife with sarcasm, wit and humor? Where?

I'm sorry but I think most people interpreted it as being a vague and garbled set of comments with no apparent direction or clear foundation. Put simply, people had to wade through the post and try to work out what the hell it was saying.

Not all threads turn out like this - only idiotic ones that have no real purpose and end up becoming some ostensible demonstration of how artistry and good humor are being quashed on OB, when the underlying purpose has nothing to do with this at all (the underlying purpose probably being far more narcissistic in nature).

If you find random gibberish to be artistic and poetic, that's great. Have fun with that. The problem is that most people here find it annoying and largely undecipherable. Other sites might allow that - this one doesn't, lol.

Believe me, if you think I'm the only one making a judgement about what's "fun", you're very wrong. If your idea of "fun" is to come here and frequently insult the site, the staff and the members while simultaneously contradicting yourself at every turn...well, I really have no problem saying that this kind of fun isn't welcome at OB, lol.

Come on, wake up to yourself. I've had the good humor and respect to put up with this tripe for long enough. You don't like OB because it doesn't welcome your self-obsessed rants - we get that. Since you apparently can't drag yourself away from the site (despite hating it), I'll do the job for you.[/color][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I cannot even begin to say what a relief it is to see this post. James, you are a hero to these boards.

OB to me is someplace that needs more smart decisions like this. [/FONT]

[quote name='BKstyles'][FONT="Tahoma"]I cannot even begin to say what a relief it is to see this post. James, you are a hero to these boards.

OB to me is someplace that needs more smart decisions like this. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]lol, I thought of posting something about a collective sigh of relief resounding across the boards, but then I remembered how the same would probably said if I were getting banned and decided to keep my mouth shut XD It's funny, cuz I was actually about to send a complaint to James about it, but it was already taken care of... maybe there'll be less pointless arguing that makes no sense for a while now >_<[/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]lol, I thought of posting something about a collective sigh of relief resounding across the boards, but then I remembered how the same would probably said if I were getting banned and decided to keep my mouth shut XD It's funny, cuz I was actually about to send a complaint to James about it, but it was already taken care of... maybe there'll be less pointless arguing that makes no sense for a while now >_<[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Naw, we'd be disappointed that you got away before we could shock you first DB. :p Besides I almost hate to say it [[SIZE="1"]and I'm kidding by the way, about the hate bit[/SIZE]] But you're starting to almost grow on this place. ^_~

Because OB to me is a place that when the arguments get too serious, people stand back, realize that they not only like and respect others, but that we're here to have fun. So at that point we all have a good laugh at all the drama and simply move on to more fun stuff. :catgirl:[/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR=goldenrod]Naw, we'd be disappointed that you got away before we could shock you first DB. :p Besides I almost hate to say it [[SIZE=1]and I'm kidding by the way, about the hate bit[/SIZE]] But you're starting to almost grow on this place. ^_~[/COLOR]

[/quote]

[COLOR=navy]See [B]DB[/B]! Your not in the same league as me! In fact your getting higher in the ranks! [/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Now that I re-read that, I really need to become a better person on OB. Damn it all, I don't have any[B] E-flowers[/B]! >_<; Or even [B]E-chocolates [/B]for that matter. God I am so screwed![/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Darn it, where are screaming female members when you need them? :animesigh In fact [B]SufallE's [/B]last post is inspiring me, I'm going to make a thread asking about your favorite moments on [B]OB[/B]! yeah, it'll work! [/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][center][I]Cause knowledge is power![/I][/center][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Everyone was at each other's throat, or maybe just Copycatalyst's, I don't know, but know that we have moved on, let's share a good hearted discussion about What OB is. OB is a place where the people in the Adventure Square can go on mind boggling adventures that range from the simple quest to find a missing relic, to an epic tale of people who have been castaway from the world and forced to survive in a remote location, to a revenge plot to assaissinate the founder of the network. I think it's here and the Art section of the board where the creative genius of people really can shine through. I've been involved in some RPG's way back in the past, and I've really seen the improvement in my storytelling skills and fictional writing, which I sorely still lack in. When it's something cool to write about or to share my opinions on, then I'm ready to write an essay on the subject. I don't think you can get this on other boards, where they have like fifteeen billion sections dedicated to regional sectarianism or the multiple facets of the topic they are covering. Some people may call it "Fan-Fiction", I call it "Creative Writing inspired off of previous ideas" . Politically correct? Who cares...? It's OB and we don't make any apologies!

Aww, and just when I was getting used to the guy. I'm not going to question the ban (mods do what they must). It's good that it dropped before the ridiculous [url=http://www.jerkcity.com/jerkcity2388.html][u]GOODBYE TO OTAKUBOARDS (I'M GOING SOMEWHERE WHERE I CAN BE APPRECIATED)[/u][/url] drama really got started, in any case - that kind of thing gets old after you see it a few times. On the other hand, it was nice to have [URL=http://bridgebunnies.com/omoikane/code/Code_Geass05_007.jpg][u]C.C.[/u][/URL] around to provoke interesting responses from [i]other board members[/i], even if his own posts read kind of like a deranged freshman comparative literature paper. I doubt being provocative was intentional - I think the point was more that we were supposed to recognize his "brilliance" and treat him as some kind of internet sage.

A teacher of mine once told me that there are two ways of being smart. The first is being smart in a way that makes you look impressive (and everyone else dumb, if you're doing it right). This is very easy: all you need to do is build a reputation on how important you sound. The second way is to try to make other people smart, which is much more difficult. I myself am obviously no master at this second one, but I'd like to think (for one final shot at saying "what Ohh Bee is") that a lot of what makes the 'boards shine is the few people around who can actually do this well. I have a lot of catching up to do before I reach that level.

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]Since you apparently can't drag yourself away from the site (despite hating it), I'll do the job for you.[/color][/QUOTE]Thank you. Honestly, THANK YOU! That's one of the best posts I've read since I became a member here. :catgirl:

Anyway... Now that that's done. OB just seems like a fun place to get involved in discussions, RPG's and whatnot. With the occasional drama thrown in that fortunately is nipped in the bud before it becomes a real issue. That and it's great for meeting new people that otherwise you'd never get to.

Oh and as for you DB, Trust me, when it comes to being annoying. You don't even come close. There's just no comparison at all. I'd take five hyper, perverted clones of you on the boards over just one CC any day.

[quote name='James']

[color=#606060]I'm sorry but I think most people interpreted it as being a vague and garbled set of comments with no apparent direction or clear foundation. Put simply, people had to wade through the post and try to work out what the hell it was saying.

Come on, wake up to yourself. I've had the good humor and respect to put up with this tripe for long enough. You don't like OB because it doesn't welcome your self-obsessed rants - we get that. Since you apparently can't drag yourself away from the site (despite hating it), I'll do the job for you.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Magenta"]Go James! ^_^ You tell him! He was really starting to get on my nerves with his insults and such. Hope he learns from this and never joins again.[/COLOR]

Guest The Blue Jihad
[quote name='James'][COLOR=#606060]but what I really love to see are new concepts and ideas...new artwork, new stories, new everything really.

This is why I'm very open to new suggestions and it's why a lot of site elements have changed lately. It's good to keep things fresh and to continually think of new ideas. [/COLOR][/quote]

Would an actual sex party for the of-age members be out of the question? Bunch of us get together one night, have a few drinks (more than a few) and screw until mid afternoon? Would pictures and video be permitted?

Cause something like that would totally be new and provocative...and would push the envelope...among other things.

[quote name='The Blue Jihad']Would an actual sex party for the of-age members be out of the question? Bunch of us get together one night, have a few drinks (more than a few) and screw until mid afternoon? Would pictures and video be permitted?

Cause something like that would totally be new and provocative...and would push the envelope...among other things.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR="Indigo"][size=1][font=arial]It'd certainly push up the birth rate.[/font][/size][/COLOR]

Guest The Blue Jihad
[quote name='DeadSeraphim'][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=arial]It'd certainly push up the birth rate.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/quote]

Plus, only a small handful around here should really be breeding at all.

Though the idea does still intrigue me...

[color=darkred]In the spirit of what happened, and James' point, I think that OtakuBoards is like a fix. You just can't keep away from it lol. Members leave and come back... it's like a recurring cycle. Even I've left a few times, and yet here I am.[/color]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]

[QUOTE]Come on, wake up to yourself. I've had the good humor and respect to put up with this tripe for long enough. You don't like OB because it doesn't welcome your self-obsessed rants - we get that. Since you apparently can't drag yourself away from the site (despite hating it), I'll do the job for you.[/QUOTE]

I got the same thought when I read that line as when I looked up the argument with kuja.
"YAY, JAMES!"

Now, that aside, the topic. I don't know how much room I have to speak on the matter, since I don't post hear often (has it really been two years?), but what I have seen, it has become a [STRIKE]clique[/STRIKE] family. And yes, the familiarity of the older members might put off new posters, but it seems to me that most people here are pretty decent, and I have a hard time imagining the members here actually being hostile to newcomers. (Maybe I haven't seen the right thread) Like I've mentioned, I haven't seriously looked at this site in two years, so maybe that gives me some shred of objectivity (or maybe not), but it seems to me that OB has become more of what it was then: A friendly message board with close (and mostly non-exlcusive) (I think...) groups of friends where one can expect intelligent posts about various topics from inteligent people.

It's almost as if, even though anime first brought us together, we had more in common than just that, and formed a community because of it.

I hope I at least sound like I know half of what I'm talking about (probably more like a third, with the others being 1/3 speculation and 1/3 conjecture)

[/FONT]

I don't see why there's a huge circle jerk over that ban. I mean, come on, like no one saw it coming with those posts.

Anyway, OB is a forum that's sometimes fun and maddening at the same time. But, that's what makes it interesting.

[quote name='Charles']I don't see why there's a huge circle jerk over that ban. I mean, come on, like no one saw it coming with those posts.

Anyway, OB is a forum that's sometimes fun and maddening at the same time. But, that's what makes it interesting.[/QUOTE]I don't see why you're surprised that so many people are glad to see him gone. I mean, come on! Like you didn't see that coming! :p

I do agree with the other point though, this place can be extremely maddening at times. Heh, which is why the ignore feature is such a handy thing to have.:catgirl: Though truthfully I've only used it a few times. And CC was one of those times.

But still I think it says a lot that for the most part people get along just fine around here.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']I don't see why you're surprised that so many people are glad to see him gone. I mean, come on! Like you didn't see that coming! :p[/QUOTE]

Eh....it's his [I]third[/I] time being banned. It loses its luster after a while. lol

Ah well, we'll probably see it a fourth time too. :animestun

[quote name='Charles']Eh....it's his [I]third[/I] time being banned. It loses its luster after a while. lol

We'll probably see it a fourth time too. :animestun[/QUOTE]o_O I didn't know that. I guess the other two bans must have happened before I became a member then. Though I certainly hope we don't see a fourth time. >_<

[B]EDIT:[/B] Okay I went and looked in Otakupedia under Mitch. That guy is talented at getting himself banned it seems. Meh, I'm still glad he's gone though.

[quote name='Charles']Eh....it's his [I]third[/I] time being banned. It loses its luster after a while. lol[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute. I linked to [url=http://www.jerkcity.com/jerkcity2388.html][u]this[/u][/url] as a joke, and now you're telling me that that's actually happened [i]twice[/i] already? Does this mean Jerkcity is prescient somehow?

I wonder what would've happened if I'd opted for [url=http://www.leisuretown.com/articles/kmfr.html][u]the one from Leisuretown[/u][/url] instead.

[color=#606060]The cool thing is that someone [i]can[/i] be banned three times. The fact that you can be the biggest jerk under the sun and still be allowed to return if you behave yourself is probably testament to the fact that the site is a lot more open than it may first appear.

In response to Alex...uh, well, I don't know how you'd work out who to involve in that kinda party. Would we pull names out of hats? >_< lol

It's amazing how you can find the source of a problem, get rid of it...and everyone's happy. If that's not a clear demonstration of what can be wrong with OB, I don't know what is. lol[/color]