OtakuBoards

How did YOU start watching anime?

Udon

[color=#4B0082]In 1999 I got into the Pokémon TCG when I was 11 years old; from there I got Pokémon Yellow on the Game Boy, then started watching the anime. (I still have a bunch of the season 1 episodes on VHS tapes in fact.) At the time I kind of knew it was made in Japan, since I knew the games were made in Japan and that the show was based on the games, but I didn't think of it any differently from other cartoons that I watched. So Pokémon was technically my first but at the time I didn't even know the word "anime" yet.

A few years later, in 2003 I think, one of my older brothers started watching anime after we got a broadband net connection. (Yay for early fansubs.) That exposed me to Trigun, which I liked a lot and was responsible for getting me to watch more anime. From time to time I borrowed other series from him after that, including Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, FLCL, and the Ah! My Goddess OAV and movie.

I tended to watch anime in bursts, watching a series quickly and then not watching anything for weeks or months. It wasn't a big hobby of mine yet and it wasn't until the Ah! My Goddess TV series began airing in 2005 that I started watching anime more regularly. I went through most of my brother's collection and then began building my own.

Ironically, I've been on OtakuBoards since 2001 yet even with one of the site's main focuses being on anime it never affected my interest.[/color]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure it was some show called noozles on nick jr. Something about teddy bears time traveling. I don't really remember watching it, but I found a tape a while back where I had recorded it.

Other than that it was Pokemon that got me into things. It may have been corny, but sometimes I just like bad anime. Especially if the voice acting is poor. It kinda brings this whole feel to everything..I can't really explain it. It's just like...happiness through cheesiness.

well the first anime i ever watched would be sailormon when i was around 6 or so then it was the DBZ searies and so on i didn't realize i was watching anime untill my brother told me when i start my 2nd year of high school when i, found that out i saw.hack// and immediatly fell in love with that searies since then i've seen about 50 or so anime some traditional and other that aren't not as interesting as some of you out there but i'm glade i found something to be passionate about :animestun

• 1 year later...
last spring break my friends showed me bleach. they had been trying to get me to watch it for a while, but i didn't want to because i never saw anime before and all i knew about it was from stereotypes and parodies. our other mutual friend watched it, and he loved it, so i caved. i ended up watching the first two seasons in about 24 hours. those same friends then introduced me to black lagoon and code geass (the only other two ive seen). so i owe my love for anime to them