OtakuBoards

How did YOU start watching anime?

Udon

Guest Hazumi-Kaze
[B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Well, I was extreamly young... Maybe 5 or 6. I used to watch the dubbed Card Captors every day. Of course, at that age I had no idea what anime even was. As I got older, it sorta stopped showing, but when I entered 5th grade, Mew Mew Power(EW) showed, though, of course TMM is way better. I began watching it and then I researched it on Veoh and Youtube and watched other animes such as TMM, CCS, and Mermaid Melody. Now, I am an anime freak![/COLOR][/B]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was in the early 80s when shows like Voltron and Starblazers were making their way on to US TV. Around then Robotech came out and that had me hooked. I guess the very first thing I would've seen would've been Speed Racer ... wow that was a long time ago :)

Guest IchimaruGin_fan
I was told that Sailor Moon was good by my best friend...So I checked it out...It was good, but not amazing...Pokemon was the same way...Inuyasha too...Eventually I stumbled across some interresting ones...Like Naruto, Full metal alchemist, Fruits Basket, Blood+ and BLEACH!!!Of course...Bleach is the Best of the best...I LOVE Ichimaru Gin...Also...I have recently started reading Moon Boy...A very good series...

Back in the mid 90's when I was going through grade school, every weekday I came home I'd look for something like cartoons on to watch, and I ended up coming across Pokemon/Sailor Moon at that time, and somewhere in there I watched Zoids too.:animesmil

Well, if you want to go way back, it really started with Toonami. That was my very first encounter with anime. Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing, Yu Yu Hakuso (although I remember nothing of it), these are the ones I remember the most. And considering I am still a big fan of Outlaw Star and Gundam Wing, I have to saw Toonami had the biggest impact on me as well in regards to my anime fandom.

Now, I didn't watch anime at all for my middle school years, and not at all my freshman and sophomore. My friend Kevin was the one to introduce me to what I term as adult anime. He showed me Elfen Lied, and I have to say, I was hooked right at the first episode.

That may explain why I have watched the show three times, and it was my most favorite anime until I saw Neon Genesis Evangelion.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Arial Black"]Actually, my friend dragged me to an anime store against my will, and when I was there, I was just sort of looking at the DVD's waiting to leave, when I saw a DVD cover with this rrrreeeeaaaallllllllyyyyy hott guy on it... And that's how it all started...^^[/FONT][/COLOR]

I remembered I watched anime for the first time when I was 7. I watched Sailor Moon with my oldest sister and I loved the anime. The anime was about saving the world from heebeejeebies and evils... only the heroes are women--- sailor scouts. You know that the usual stereotype that men defeat evil to save mankind... so I guess I watched something different to make me be a loyal fan of Sailor Moon (maybe think differently too).From that I began to learn how to draw anime. Then it stopped air on tv 6 years later:animecry: It only stopped 'til SuperS Sailor Moon:animecry::animecry:

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="Red"]How did I get into Anime?

Well it's thanks to my best friend Haylee actually, she got me started on Naruto last year, so I'm like a newborn Otaku or whatever. In febuary I was already consumed in the Zabuza saga.

I have seen Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, Wolf's Rain, Eureka Seven, and Ouran High School Host Club. Oh and Blood+.

And Ergo Proxy n_n[/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
Watched Voltron back in the day, without knowing anything about 'anime'.

The first time I watched anime with an understanding of what it was, I saw Vampire Hunter D on late-night TV.

Not long after that, I'd catch episodes of Sailor Moon on occasion. Eventually I got hooked through DBZ and Gundam Wing on Toonami, and my addiction to anime was cemented by Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hollybee
I first started watching anime as a teen way way back in the 80's. the first anime i fell in love with was AKIRA. and it still is one of my faveorites a great classic. I watched all the anime cartoons on american television as much as i could. my favorites now inclue Evangelion, Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist and Wolf's Rain. plus many many more. ;)

I feel old. I started watching anime when I was really little on VHS tapes my family and friends would send to us from Japan. So everything was in the raw. No subs, no dubs. Just as it aired on television. Doraemon was my first anime memory.

I later remember when Robotech came on back in the mid-80's that it looked like anime but was in English! I was hooked. It was really weird to see anime, newer anime, on my television that wasn't in Japanese. Needless to say I have a very soft spot for Robotech since it gave me anime that my friends could understand.

Guest Kei See
GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!!!! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT!
.........POKEMON!:wigout::ball:

dat would be he first anime that i watched but for my ENTIRE childhood i thought it was called a CARTOON!

anime was beyond the understanding of my kindergarten mind...
and then there were random glimps of other anime like cardcaptors and DIGIMON!!!!

DI-GI-MON...DIGITAL MONSTERS...DGIMON ARE DA CHAMPIONS!!! (woot)
:love2: me<3 digimon ...ESPECIALLY SEASON 4...DIGIMON FRONTIERS. the song wasn't the same though...sniff...IT"S BETTER!!!

[SIZE="4"]W0000T[/SIZE]

I first watched Sailor Moon when I was young and it was on TV and I watched it before I go to school in the morning. Then I haven't been watchin anime for a while until Pokemon came and I started watchin that. Later on my cousin introduced me to other anime which haven't appeared in the country yet so I was glad to watch more and then other different animes have appeared on TV and I've been watchin them ever since.

=>Jen

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Red"]It's really hard to remember how I first started...I think it was either with [B]Akira[/B], [B]Robotech[/B], or [B]Voltron[/B]. I know it was one of the three...but of course that was a long long long time ago. >.>

I'm wanting to say though it was [B]Akira[/B]. I remember renting a VHS movie from an old movie store we used to have around here, and I thought it was a regular cartoon but then after that I loved those much more than cartoons and I was hooked on Anime since then. After that, I actually got Neon Genesis Evangelion complete on VHS, and I still have that. Kinda scary since you cant find them anymore..might be worth something someday, though I doubt I would ever sell them.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Staying up to late and unable to find anything on t.v. Yeah.... it wa sone of those nights over the summer and when my family still had Netflix. I basiclly just watched whatever was on Adult Swim, mostly InuYasha. One school started though I made some obsessed friends and on of them gave me a cd with subbed Naruto episodes and some AMV's that she made. The AMVs led me to teo obsessions, one being anime related and the other a band. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[size=1]Christ, the number of people brought on to Anime via DB/Sailer Moon/Poké/Digimon is quite scary!

Anyways, my first run in with Anime was in the early '90's when I was like 6/7. My brother and my cousins and I were well into the Street Fighter arcade game, so when there was a movie for it we jumped on it. Pretty much every chance we got we all sat and watched SFII: The Animated Movie by Manga productions (Still to this day one of my all-time favourites). Of course I was watching things like Transformers long before that but I'm not really sure if it's considered Anime by the masses.

Then, a year or two later Sci-Fi (a channel here in the UK) started showing other Manga OVA's late every Saturday night. Me and my cousin would stay up to watch classics like Ninja Scroll, Violence Jack, Devilman and Fist of the North Star among other things. A lot of very graphic and adult themes in there for us 10 year olds to be dealing with. I can still remember giggling at Chun-Li's shower scene! ^_^ It is thanks largely to this slot of OVA's that I thought anime itself was called Manga. ¬_¬ Boy, that was embarrassing.

When Pokémon came on, I was repulsed by it (although I love the games like nobody's business), I've never seen Sailor Moon and when my friends started watching DBZ I started teasing them for watching silly cartoons where people's hari changes colour. VERY embarrassing, since later, DBZ became my favourite (and probably still is) thing ever!

Then when things like Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop started showing over here, my interest in Anime came to the forefront. That was the time when me and another friend of mine started downloading Anime. The first of which was Neon Genesis Evangelion. By God is that classic anime watching or what!?

I'd known about manga (as in the books this time, and not what I thought the OVA's were ^_^) for a while at this stage but still hadn't really taken to them until I saw my first love. DBZ, in manga form! I started collecting it immediately to realise that it was a hundred times better than the anime.

That's where I say the rest is History and that I'm now a rabid Anime/Manga collector![/size]

• 2 weeks later...
My first anime as with a lot of people was DBZ, then Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, and Tenchi Muyo.Then my cousin introduced me to Ninja Scroll, which I had no idea that they even made anime movies at the time, but it put me in awe and opened me up to things I never knew existed like Akira, Perfect Blue, Ghost in the Shell, as well as series like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Berserk.And it just continued from there.

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]As ironic as this might be i started watching anime through peer pressure.

My friends would always talk about DBZ and i wouldn't be included because i didn't watch it. So because of it i started to watch it and was introduced to my frist anime, probably back in like 6th grade. And from there it took off. I think next i watched pokemon. Then i watched trigun, cowboy bebop, and a bunch of others. Now i'm a huge anime fan without enough time or coordination to watch any regularly unless i torrent the hell out of some. I feel a bit anime deprived right now since i'm not watching any right now. My last anime was Eureka Seven last year and i didn't even see all of those.. =( Somebody recommend me some totally awesome anime, plz.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Hmmm.

I can't remember how old I was, but Pokemon was how it began.

Me and my little bro were waiting for Simpsons (only thing we watched back then), and we had half an hour to wait. We saw this thing for a new show called Pokemon, and decided we might as well watch it, having nothing better to do.

We were instantly hooked.

Next thing was DBZ. We began watching that once it aired on TV, though I remember for some reason it didn't start right from the beginning, which annoyed me when I found out. Then the usual things, like Digimon.

Was around 11, maybe 12, when I started watching late night Anime like Outlaw Star. Sci Fi channel aired a few late night animes as well, obviously Sci Fi based. Can't remember what they were called though. :animesigh

Guest Hellrell666
MY first encounter with anime was Patlabor or Thundercats can't really remember. As for the movies we had a almost public access like T.V. station that would play them in the 80's at 3:00 o'clock Saturday night or Sunday morning. My friend and I were staying up waiting for his parents to good to bed o we could get our minds right. I had been trying to tell my friend for years about these cartoons I was watching. Then low and behold right before we stepped out Vampire Hunter D the part that only shows the grass. Fifteen movies later the station gets closed down. I used to stay up for 5 years til 4:30 to watch DBZ and Sailor Moon. Every season they would ad like two extra episodes so five years later I was still at the middle of the ginu (not spelled correctly) force fight. Then in about 1990 something I noticed my local comic book store carrying VHS's. I saw Trigun while most people were still figuring out the intricacies of DBZ I was on Trigun.

Now it's Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece. For you guys.

Favorite Anime Movie: Devilman Aka Violent Jack

Favorite Anime Series: Tekkanman Aka Tekka-man

sailor moon and the other anime shows that showed on cartoon network got me to start watching anime. but back then i didnt really know wat anime was back then tell like someone told me in 4th grade...lol!! and then i got hooked on them.