OtakuBoards

How did YOU start watching anime?

Udon

[COLOR="goldenrod"]It's 100% SunfallE's fault. I tend to read books more than I ever watch TV, even now I don't bother with any channel that broadcasts anime shows. Like Cartoon Network or Adult Swim. I do watch them occasionally, but never regularly. lol

But after SunfallE got me to watch Pretear and some other stuff I started borrowing her DVD's and Mariskah's until I'd seen quite a bit. And even though I still rarely watch regular tv. I do check out whats in the on demand section of my cable service each week. As well as seeing if either of my friends have any new DVD's I can convince them to loan me.

Oh and I've discovered fan subs so I've been checking out new shows that way. I'm all for watching anime without all the commercials. ^_^[/COLOR]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="goldenrod"]Oh and I've discovered fan subs so I've been checking out new shows that way. I'm all for watching anime without all the commercials. ^_^[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]It's one of those great pleasures in life isn't it ? To be able to just watch anime when you want, though for the life of me I still can't watch DBZ in it's original Japanese, I simply refuse to accept that Goku, a grown man sounds like that. On the same point, I thank God for fansubs so I can watch Naruto without the irritating English voice-overs.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="goldenrod"]Oh and I've discovered fan subs so I've been checking out new shows that way. I'm all for watching anime without all the commercials. ^_^[/COLOR][/QUOTE]I avoid anime on tv for the same reason. I hate commercials. That and some fansubs are pretty good. If only I had enough room to save them on my computer. Though I suppose I could burn the file onto a disk. But I'm too lazy. Still I use fansubs to check out new shows all the time.

As for how I started watching anime... It started when I was a kid and my father would bring me back little gifts from his business trips to Japan. And though I went with my parents as a kid a few times, since my dad would take my mom along when he could. I regret to say that other than some vague memories I really don't remember the trips at all.

Still the different stuff he brought back got me into different aspects of the culture there and that included animation. Though I tend to collect more art books than I do DVD's since I love that sort of stuff. However, my collection of actual shows has finally caught up with the amount of art books that I have.

In the end I don't remember an exact time or year for getting into anime, it's just always been around in some form or another for as long as I can remember. I've never been a huge anime fan, but it would feel strange if I wasn't watching at least something new every week. [/COLOR]

Guest Koyana
Hmm... i must say your outlook about the world is quite interesting.... So, if i may ask, are you rotten? Only a rotten person would have a philosophy like that, wouldn't they? I'm just curious. And yes, curiosity does kill the cat (I only have 8 more lives). So, how do i know if i'm rotten?:angel:

Well when I was a kid I useto watch toonami alot when I got out of school. But i also watch other cartoon channels but I noticed that Toonami cartoons or anime looked alot different then anything else on the tube. It peaked my interest so to say and I just went from there...watching basic stuff like Gundam Wing getting into like Trigun and Gungrave as I got older. Now its a part of me and my lifestyle. Go Oatkuboards!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been watching anime since I was younger (5 years old). The first movie that was anime was "Castle in the Sky". Ever since, I saw other anime movies that was from anime. Usually anime series were something at the time pretty vague, not any longer. Though I am more into Video games than anime actually.

I think I saw pokemon first... I can't really remember. All I know is that I got into that a little, but like with Sailor Moon when I was 8, had NO idea it was from Japan or known as anime. I think I really got questioning it when I started Watching Digimon, and REALLY got into it and started drawing it and doing cosplays when I got into Gundam Wing. Basically, Gundam Wing was the anime that turned me from a casual watcher to a "hard core" fan:catgirl:

Well, i don't have a articular interesting story, but i just turned on the TV and got interested in Cardcators. I knew it was different from amerian cartoons, but at the time i didn't know that it was japanese. Later on, in 6th grade, i found out about the anime manga thing that as becoming known in my school. But, i discovered manga by accident....

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][COLOR="Green"]I got into Anime first before Manga. Matt was the one who actually got me into it. Tenchi was the first Anime I watched and absolutely loved it, then next was Naruto and after that I kind of fell into watching other Animes and have even watched some now that he hasn't ^^. Then I also branched off into reading Mangas and I love that now too. Most of the time the Manags are ten times better than the Animes anyway. So thats how I got into them and I love them! ^^[/COLOR][/FONT]

(first post btw)

I got into anime when I was 10. One of my best friends was into Tokyo Mew Mew, and he asked me to start tryin to get into it. I loved it!! We'd get together during recess to pretend to be Tokyo Mew Mew charactars. He was Pudding, I was first Dasina (a made up charactar) and switched to Zakuro, another one of our friends was Mint, and another Lettuce. We did this every recess, and then we got into Sailor Moon. It was all we watched. I remember being Sailor Jupiter, alongside Venus, Mercury, and Neptune. It was awesome. Then we started watching Mermaid Melody, and even though I'm not as close friends with the person that got me started, I still love these three animes dearly.

Now that I'm a bit older, I have spent my entire summer watching anime, hanging out on gaia, using dA, and now this. But at 15, I still like to pretend to be Zakuro, Sailor Jupiter, and Sara/Rina/Luchia. ^-^

Guest Erk Mizuhara
I saw a VHS of Neon Genesis Evangelion at a local Carboot Sale. It only cost 50p, so I went ahead and picked it up. It looked interesting, so I made a start on collecting the series on DVD.

The first thing that I saw that was anime (but I didn't know it at the time) was Voltron. The first anime movie I saw was Akira. The series I watched with full understanding of its animeness was the Robotech version of Macross. The first anime DVD i owned was Princess Mononoke.

I was a big Transformers fan when I was little, and it may have something to do with my preference for mecha/sci-fi.

[COLOR="Purple"]I guess you could say that I started watching anime when I was younger[ around 6 or 7]. I believe the first ever anime that I had ever seen was Miyazaki's Spirited Away. I've seen Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Digimon before but now I'm not really into them anymore. After those three, I started watching Yugi-Oh! on Kids WB around 8 or 9. Soon that anime died out and I got hooked on to Inuyasha. I loved it a lot. I have the manga collection but cut it when it didn't interest me anymore. Now I'm into Naruto, Bleach, FullMetal Alchemist, and D. Gray-Man. I've seen many other animes and own some myself but they were already completed series. I'm still watching Bleach on Adult Swim every time it comes out with a dubbed episode on Saturdays and I'm watching Naruto on Toonami every Saturday when it comes out with dubbed episodes. I know the FMA has been dubbed completly and the D.Gray Man...uh... I'm not sure if it's dubbed. I'm don't recall but if it was then I'd definatly buy it.[/COLOR]

Guest dragonhybrid
When I was three the first anime I ever saw was pokemon. I was just flipping channels and saw it. I liked the designs of the pokemon. At the time I didn't know it was anime. To this day I still think pokemon is a good anime... well the pokemon are cool the people not so much.:animeswea

Guest Aru-Sama
[B][color=#D6AEE9]I started watching anime with Pokemon as well. I think I was like 4 or 5. I don't really know. But, then I got into Sailor Moon. Which was more obviously an Anime. :D
But, Honestly, after Sailor moon I was into Pokemon a lot more. D: *shot, killed, burried*[/color][/B]

Well the first anime I have seen is Speed Racer, but at the time I didn't know it was an anime. I didn't get into anime until I saw DBZ and Sailormoon on Toonami when I was in third grade. The first anime movie I saw was Princess Mononoke which was on the action channel when I was 12 years old. I watched Cowboy Bebop and Yu Yu Hakusho on Adult Swim when I was 12 also.

Well, I saw "My Neighbor Totoro" when I was around 4 or 5 i guess. At the time I didn't realize it was any different from any other cartoon though. But I didn't really get into it until the television networks started showing pokemon and dragonball z, and stuff like that.

I got a myspace friend request from a woman named Ayumi Masterson in December of 06. We became good friends quickly. One day, she recommended the Hellsing anime to me. She's a fan of that show and likes to cosplay as Integra. I watched it and I was hooked on it and in anime in general. Someday,I hope to thank her personally. She lives in Seattle,WA and I live in Wadmalaw Island,SC. We still chat through email. That's my story.

when i was at least 6 years old i remember that on the KidsWB they play Pokemon on saturday. then from there they play the first season of Digimon which i though was cool. then when i move to a new house , i remember they played Sailormoon and i thought wow its interesting. yeah i remember watching them when i was young. right now thats all i can remember and i forgot one, i remember watching Yugioh too.