OtakuBoards

ARENA [Tournament Spar] [M-LV]

Vicky

[SIZE=1]I said I'd never make an RPG again. Well, I stand by that. Perhaps this goes against my promise, but I think not, as the storyline involved need not be as indepth as an RPG. I thought it was too good to pass up anyway.

I'm planning on creating a Tournament - obviously lol - where players can pick any character they wish from any creation (providing they stay in the competition rules). Now I only have a rough idea for it so far... but I'd like some help, possibly from someone who wants to help make this a joint game. What I have so far is:

[B]Entry Round[/B] - The sign-up sheet. As well as providing a short character sheet, I want players to post a spar with another character of their choice. The character of their choice would not be a contestant, merely someone who works for the Tournament as an evaluator (therefore, no deaths) and the best will go through.

[B]Round One: Deathmatch[/B] - Depending on the number of characters, there will be a limited amount of players to be killed. They will be killed off when least expected, or when they do expect it. This first round means the Underground thread is critical. Judges in the game will post, at any point of their desire, a players name to be killed, and a list of players they think deserve the kill. First come first serve to eliminate the player. The judges must give a valid reason for each decision.

[B]Round Two: Tag Team[/B] - The remaining players will be put into pairs and given a certain number of posts each. Before the final posts, the judges will decide which pair wins. Judging will relay on how well both characters/players work together, how fairly they are treated, and... violence. Because I like that.

[B]Round Three: Team Game[/B] - The survivors are placed into teams (not with the partners they worked with in the last round) and a game will be set for the team to play. This is the only point in the game where death is against the rules - all players must survive. The judges will announce the winners and the losers will be sentenced to death in a bonus round.

[B]Bonus Round[/B] - The losing team from the Team Game is stripped of all weapons and armour. They will have their hands chained behind their backs and forced into the arena, or any other designated fighting place, with numerous handicaps. The winning team receives more weapons and advantages if they desire to eliminate the losers in anyway they seem possible. Although this is a bonus round, the actions of the winning team's characters will effect their overall performance for the last round (more violnece = good).

[B]Semi-Final[/B] - Characters are placed into two blocks - Block A and Block B. The matches are simple one on one spars, with a limited number of posts. The winners will go on to face each other in the Final.

[B]Final[/B] - The two winners of the Semi-Final will face the Arena, with only the weapons they brought into the game, and all rules applying.

That's the basic idea.

As you can see, I need at least three judges, more if possible. Also, I need someone who can help run the game with me. The reason for me stopping RPGing was because I was rather busy, however I liked this idea and think I could do it with help from another person.

Comments? Questions? Registered interest?

Ta ^_^[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Can I say "freaking awesome idea" ? Seriously, I've been in the mood to be part of a mass spar since Kumite fizzled out of existence and was relegated to OB lore. Just one question Vicky, if we're allowed any kind of character, how are we going to ensure that fights are fairly even ? I mean you couldn't put a samurai against and Jedi and expect that he'd have any chance at winning. That said, we need to have a pirate vs. ninja spar, just to settle that debate once and for all.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Can I say "freaking awesome idea" ? Seriously, I've been in the mood to be part of a mass spar since Kumite fizzled out of existence and was relegated to OB lore. Just one question Vicky, if we're allowed any kind of character, how are we going to ensure that fights are fairly even ? I mean you couldn't put a samurai against and Jedi and expect that he'd have any chance at winning. That said, we need to have a pirate vs. ninja spar, just to settle that debate once and for all.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I was just thinking about that. But I think most of the players I can trust to do this (if they can't be trusted to 'dumb' their character down, so to speak, then their arrogance will probably annoy judges and get them killed in the first round) - set their own handicaps. For example during the final listing I could ask overally powerful characters to set themselves a fair handicap, like having no weapons... or... as far as having no legs... even... =/.

If not, maybe before each spar (team games as well). So if it's a Jedi against a Samurai, we could take away the Jedi's weapon and equip the Samurai with better weapons, plus a few other traits we could fit in.

But I don't want to make the characters completely even. It'll all be down to the genius of the players - you get more respect creating and winning with an average character than owning the tournament with a Superman deplicate.

Maybe a second bonus round should be issued for the Pirates vs Ninjas! =D[/SIZE]

[color=darkred][size=1]

YOU STOLEZ MY'Z IDEAZ!!!1!!1!

Totally , I had this idea in my head all week and planned on making it. But heh, this saves me the work, haha. I think it goes without saying I'll definetely be participating. After all, I was king of the Arena for an untold era back when it was still around, haha.

Also me and Sakura have a grudge match to take care of.... and a lot more people, haha.

[b]EDIT[/b]: Well, if you still don't have a major idea, maybe we can merge ours and come up with something. I don't particularly like the idea of using an established character anyways. Takes away the originality, heh. Lemme know if you're interested.[/color][/size]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]

[b]EDIT[/b]: Well, if you still don't have a major idea, maybe we can merge ours and come up with something. I don't particularly like the idea of using an established character anyways. Takes away the originality, heh. Lemme know if you're interested.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Oh, not established characters... if I get your meaning... what I meant to say was players can character characters anyway they wanted. From dragons to humans to Jedi's to Mortal Kombat rip-offs all the way to a pair of boxing gloves that fight themselves. From any era in anywhere in the Universe - their choice. No limit on the character, provided their not godlike.

But I'd still be interested to know some things from your idea to put in ^_^[/SIZE]

[quote name='Vicky'][size=1]Oh, not established characters... if I get your meaning... what I meant to say was players can character characters anyway they wanted. From dragons to humans to Jedi's to Mortal Kombat rip-offs all the way [B]to a pair of boxing gloves that fight themselves.[/B'] From any era in anywhere in the Universe - their choice. No limit on the character, provided their not godlike.[/size][/quote]
[font=Arial]So, lemme get this straight: if someone wants to play as Master and Crazy Hand.... :p

I'm curious about the Deathmatch. I get the "who dies and when, by who" deal, but is the rest just basically a mad posting frenzy until somebody gets the thumbs-down? Or will a player on the list just swoop in and say "MINE!", and then start the skirmish?

Everything else makes sense.[/font] Edited by Allamorph

[color=darkred][size=1]

My ideas were similar to yours greatly. However, it would start off with teams rather than deathmatches and work it's way to the deathmatches one-on-ones. But I like your idea better.

I was thinking maybe we should follow lines of evening out the scales, sense the fights that you have described would be, well, nearly indescribable on an even scale. A samurai verses a bionic future super cyborg seems hardly fair to me. So, I dunno. I suppose we'd have to be allowed to be either very exagerated and unrealisitic, or just limit it to primitive weapons no futher than a revolver or old shotgun.

Also, a post limit for the rounds, I'm sure, is something you already have planned out.

My only main concern is encountering over-armed or over-powered characters. I would more than likely use a bare-handed fighter, so I don't like the unrealistic aspect of myself fighting a miniature-Gundam and somehow winning.

Ya know what I mean?

(of course, I could just make my fighter Goku-style from DBZ, but I'd truly rather not do that.)[/color][/size]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]I was thinking maybe we should follow lines of evening out the scales, sense the fights that you have described would be, well, nearly indescribable on an even scale. A samurai verses a bionic future super cyborg seems hardly fair to me. [/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]What is the samurai's name is Jack ? I think the cyborg is the one who's pretty screwed then. :p Just kidding Mike, I actually agree with you in trying to keep fights evenly matched so one player doesn't dominate another.

I suppose one option would be to make the quality of writing as high a factor in winning as the actual combat itself. [/SIZE]

[color=darkred][size=1]

Regardless of how good your writing is, an unarmed fighter could only dodge so many bullets before being revealed as having bullet proof skin or whatever. I think that either it'd be a good idea to have realistic fighers or having genre-based tournaments instead of lumping everyone together. Or an interesting idea would be like, testing the enginuity of each character. Specialty matches I suppose.

Like, if I have a Muay Thai kick boxing champion from the 17th century and I have to fight a Cybernetic super soldier from the 31st Century, maybe there should be two rounds for each match where they intereact in their opponents realm. First match, the Super soldier doesn't have any guns to help him and loses all technological advantages, and has to fight the Muay Thai fighter in the jungles of Thailand. And then in the second round, the Super soldier gets all the guns and cybernetic implants he would otherwise have, but so does the Muay thai fighter.

Think of it like, Indiana Jones vs. Han Solo, first round with pistols in India, second round with blasters in Cloud City, ya know what I mean?[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1]It'll depend on what they write down on the sign-up. Talents such as being immune to poison, bullet-proof and whatnot would be classed as a form of immortality so it wouldn't be allowed. Talents that allow you to do something, instead of protecting you ultimately from something, will be allowed.

That'd even things out a bit. So there wouldn't be many Gundams, if their metal is bullet-proof .ect. Protection would be alright, as long as it's not impervious to anything.

Hope that makes sense.

I'm also thinking of not allowing weapons, so it's just the characters. Then even if we had Goku vs Samurai Jack it'd be alright, because neither have weapons, neither can be impervious to anything, and we'll be judging on writing more than anything else. Jack could get his arse kicked throughout the entire battle, but if the judges say "Goku, you're a cunt, get out!" then Jack can turn it around - he won with his writing skill, it should be enough to make a convincing turn around.

But I am trusting most players to pick fair characters. Completely unfair characters just won't get in.

As for Allamorph's question on the Deathmatch... it's jsut going to be posting until someone get's the thumbs down, yes. Characters can interact and hurt each other, but each action will be judged. Standing in a corner is equally as pathetic as beating the crap out of people without getting hurt once - you'll be frowned upon. Think of it as Unreal Tournament at this point, except no one dies until the thumbs up. I'm also thinking of having a rule wherein characters can't stop moving in this round... you know, so no one stops for a moment to have a intense duel by themselves...

Hope that clears things up.

If anyone's worried about people breaking the rules, that's fine. I'll be playing a character that'll be inforcing all the rules in matches =D

(cause I wanted to join in but I think I can't now...)[/SIZE]

[size=1][color=#8B008B]Personally, I think you just can't seem to get away from here, my dear. No matter how hard or how many times you try, you'll always end up writing something for the Arena.

Anywho, I'm loving the concept and what's more is that I'm loving the idea of me as a judge. Oh let the ruthless hammering begin! >] *coughcough* I mean, it'd be fun being a judge and all.

I really can't wait to see this go through. We needed some action and chaos around here; it's been a while.[/size][/color]

[SIZE=1]It'll be up tonight. Please note, NOT ALL RULES are as strict as they sound. I definitely need a set of judges now (I have one already) as it has become very important for the game. Right now, I have a glossary for you all:

[B]JUDGEMENT[/B]
When a player defies a rule, or an act that angers the Official Game Marshal or the Judges themselves, they are immediately placed on Judgement. Depending whether the crime is serious or not effects the player's ability to play on (ie: a serious crime would result in them being removed from game play until a decision is chosen, whereas minor crimes may result in the player not even sure if they are being judged). Judgement is most often used in the Death Match and when a spar nears its end. If a rule is broken and the Judges find the player guilty, the Official Game Marshal will eradicate the offender.

[B]Official Game Marshal[/B]
Baltheroth, the Champion of the ARENA for four times, is the rule enforcer during matches and all spars. Attacks and threats against the Marshal can result in eradication from the game in anyway the Marshal sees fit. The Marshal is the only official who can reverse a Judges decision, although this is very, very unlikely.

[B]Game Arena[/B]
Not to be confused with the tournament name. Arenas are the designated areas of fighting, which cannot be exited and range from a variety of environments and sizes. From the size of a city to a boxing ring, from the Amazon Jungle to the Starfields of Jaradia.

[B]Mercy[/B]
Mercy is a term used to describe the leniency or compassion shown by one person to another, or a request from one person to another to be shown such leniency or compassion. One of the basic virtues of chivalry and Christian ethics, it is also related to concepts morality in behaviour between people. [B]This act is forbidden in the tournament[/B].

[Updated when nescessary]

[B]EDIT:[/B] [url]http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?p=785168#post785168[/url]
Have at thee! And please... get your fucking arses posted in the Underground if you want to be a judge. Can't have Revelation doing it by herself =([/SIZE]