OtakuBoards

Nintendo GameCube

Magus

[color=#606060]What Charles said. And for the sake of clarity, it's worth pointing one thing out - we aren't being asked which Zelda is "better", we are being asked which GameCube games to recommend (at least in this part of the thread).

In that sense, both TWW and TP are unmissable games by any measure. I suppose the only thing with TP is that you have to play for more than ten minutes to appreciate it - I'd say you really have to get two or three hours in to really start appreciating its many layers. It is unquestionably a great game - whether or not it's the best Zelda (or better than any other Zelda in particular) is totally irrelevant to this discussion.

I mean if you could afford both and you had a GameCube, I'd definitely recommend getting both.[/color]

[quote]At any rate, I'm really surprised with how awesome the game looks and how fun it is to control. I have to admit that it is somewhat tiring to play through more than a few levels in one sitting, but the combo system is fantastic and makes an otherwise simple game a lot of fun. And challenging to boot.[/quote]

[color=#606060]How far are you in the game? Just wait 'till you see some of the later levels!

DK Jungle Beat is one of the few platformers I've seen in recent years that has completely wowed me - it really is quite amazing. Some of the level designs are really incredible. It's a shame that so many people missed out on this game.[/color]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Charles']I'm going to have to ask you guys to reguate this discussion to private message instead of derailing the thread. We have a TP thread for a reason.[/quote]

[SIZE="1"]Careful Charlie, you don't want to replace Shin or whoever it is now as Des' nad biatch. :p[/SIZE]

[quote name='Charles']Strangely enough, Jungle Beat is the first GameCube game I've purchased since Resident Evil 4. So, that's what? Two years?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah, I hadn't bought a Gamecube game in years before LoZ Collector's Edition, but to get the chance to play OOT over again and Majora's Mask for the first time was just too tempting to pass up. Shame A Link to the Past wasn't on it as well, that'd be awesome.[/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]It's worth noting that Tombstone put the thread in the thread directory as the GameCube hardware thread, so it's not just for recommendations. I don't see anything wrong with comparing two games that appear on the system.

But whatever. We had it out over AIM and I'm bored with the discussion once more.

The last GCN game I bought was Tales of Symphonia, also close to about two years ago I think. It was already a player's choice title at that point so I got it cheap. . . . Still haven't actually beaten it. I'm getting pretty bad at leaving RPGs unfinished. :animedepr

I still playing SSBM more than anything. It's in my Wii right now, in fact, and I fire it up every now and then.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]I would actually recommend playing OoT first anyway, though you probably will be able to find the Collector's Edition disc cheaper; TP is still $50 new. OoT is a great game but going from TP to OoT might make it feel a bit underwhelming. It's a much smaller game, both in terms of map size and length. And, like I've mentioned, the combat and general play control feels dated compared to TP.[/color]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]How far are you in the game? Just wait 'till you see some of the later levels!

DK Jungle Beat is one of the few platformers I've seen in recent years that has completely wowed me - it really is quite amazing. Some of the level designs are really incredible. It's a shame that so many people missed out on this game.[/color][/QUOTE]

I just reached the Pineapple Kingdom today and I'm really starting to become impressed with the level design. I really didn't expect a lot of variety in the levels, but it seems like you're always doing something different. One minute I was riding on the back of a boar (I think), next I was flying on a bird, and after that I was exploring a sunken ship. In this way, they really nailed the pacing.

I'm really impressed because for some reason I wasn't expecting a fully featured platformer. I assumed that the gameplay would have been very basic to accommodate limited bongo controls, but in reality, I'm very pleased with the controls and what they allow. I find myself not really missing the traditional control scheme as I thought I would.

I also like the boss fights so far. Although these encounters haven't been difficult (since they are based around simple patterns), they all seem to utilize the bongos in a unique way, which keeps them interesting.

I'm impressed with the overall style and presentation too. The camera cuts and visuals are much better than I would have expected.

Needless to say, I too, would really recommend anyone with a Gamecube or a Wii to pick this one up.

I would only buy DK Jungle Beat if you could find it for less then $20. It's a lot of fun but it is very short you are done with it in a day. Theres also absolutely no reason to replay it either since it loses it's charm after you complete it. You want to have a fun couple of hours go ahead with DK Jungle Beat. If you want something you can sink your teeth into there are a lot of other great GC games that can provide that.

[quote]Theres also absolutely no reason to replay it either since it loses it's charm after you complete it.[/quote]

[color=#606060]Actually I think Jungle Beat has plenty of replayability - by virtue of the game's shields/emblems/whatever they're called. Not to mention that getting more points unlocks more worlds.

I honestly think the game is worth the price as it is now - I paid AUD$99 for it and I felt that was worthwhile. Granted, I may get more out of it because I don't play games frequently (so I'm still not finished it despite having had it for three weeks), so perhaps this makes it more worthwhile to me.[/color]

[FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="2"]The only qualms I had against Jungle Beat was that it was too short. I think that they had some good concepts that they could have developed on, but they didn't. I would LOVE for a sequel to come out for the Wii. DK Jungle Beat was one of those titles that charmed people so much that it definitely merits a sequel in my opinion.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I guess I'm in the same position as James with this one. I picked up the game two weeks ago and I've literally only played it twice. I'm not playing it to plow through it.
But, the combo system and high score system should keep me coming back.

The fact that it only costs $10 with bongos included gives me little to complain about.