OtakuBoards

Nintendo GameCube

Magus

[color=gray][font=comic sans ms]Kind of shocking to see me making a Nintendo thread since I don't support Nintendo that much. And there is no telling if people are still playing this thing, but I thought I'd go ahead and create a topic for it since there are threads for other consoles and whatnot.

With me gradually losing interest in my ps2 (none of the games have been that satisying lately) and gaining a sudden interest to play Zelda: OoT, I've been thinking about trading my ps2 in for a Gamecube. (I really want my.. my brother's Xbox back, but I don't feel like adding money with it at a certain site.)

Anyway, I'm wondering what else I can get on this thing if I decide to trade my ps2 in? Getting the obvious choices out of the way, Resident Evil 4, Zelda: TP, Zelda: OoT. Is Majora's Mask on here? (I need to finish playing it.) I'm not much of a fan for the Mario franchise, but I may pick one of them up just for old times.

I'll think of some more stuff if something comes up.[/font][/color]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=deeppink][b]Smash Brothers, damn it.[/b]

Yeah, Majora's Mask is techinically available on it... you have to get the Collector's Edition, which has Oot and the NES games.

It's difficult to suggest anything, considering I have no idea what you like. I enly emphatically suggest SSB:M because if you don't like it I don't care for you much as a person, and I like to think the best of everybody at first.

I would, however, suggest Metroid Prime (the second one doesn't live up to the first, but it's still a fun play), Mario Kart, Paper Mario, and Wind Waker. I also love Animal crossing, but that's something of a niche game, I have no idea if you'd like it.[/color]

Well, the GameCube is now a bit obsolete since the Wii came, especially since it's almost like the Wii comes with a GameCube itself.

Some games I would suggest are pretty much the mainstream ones like Super Smash Bros. Melee and perhaps Soul Calibur (any of them).

But I'm not sure what kind of genre you like, although it seems you enjoy adventure/action games? Since you like Zelda and RE. Last time I checked, Majora's Mask wasn't for the GC though. Sorry D:

[font=comic sans ms][color=gray]Whoops, I knew I forgot something. Yes, I like action/adventure games, some RPG's, and some FPS. But I'm mainly an action type person.

[quote]I enly emphatically suggest SSB:M because if you don't like it I don't care for you much as a person[/quote]
I can't help but laugh at that.[/color][/font]

[color=#4B0082][b]Super Smash Bros. Melee[/b] obviously. Even people who generally don't like fighters that much (myself included) enjoy Smash Bros.

[b]Zelda: Twilight Princess[/b], and also [b]The Wind Waker[/b], if you want more Zelda. I find TWW to be about as good as OoT, and TP surpasses it. And if you can manage to find a copy of the [b]Collector's Edition[/b] disc it has The Legend of Zelda (the original), Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask on it. I would also recommend [b]Four Swords Adventures[/b] if you enjoy the 2D Zeldas; even in single player mode it's an excellent game.

[b]Skies of Arcadia Legends[/b] and [b]Tales of Symphonia[/b] are a couple good RPGs, I highly recommend both. Especially ToS if you enjoy more action-oriented RPGs. I hear [b]Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door[/b] is also good but haven't played it myself.

[b]Metroid Prime[/b] is awesome, I'd definitely check it out. It feels more like an action/adventure game than an FPS and reminded me more of Super Metroid than anything else. I think GameStop has it used on their website for about $5; you can't beat that. But Metroid Prime 2: Echoes annoyed me with its dark world life draining so I never finished it.

[b]F-Zero GX[/b] is a great racing game and seems to be really underrated. The story mode is stupidly difficult and barely worth completing on normal, let alone hard and very hard, but the grand prix mode is a lot of fun and has much better difficulty progression. The game has a lot of reply value with 30 different machines to use and a custom editor, too.

[b]Mario Kart: Double Dash!![/b] is pretty good, but I'd recommend Mario Kart DS over it if you have a DS. All too often in DD you'll get screwed out of first place by a spiny shell on the last lap and there's nothing you can do about it.

[b]Animal Crossing[/b] had me addicted to it for four months straight, but like Nerdsy said it's kind of a niche game and hard to say whether you'd like it or not. At first I thought I'd get bored with it after an hour but then I was hooked once I started playing.[/color]

[B] Super Smash Brothers: Melee[/B]-there's a reason why everyone is recommending this game and it's because it may be the best game for the gamecube . If you get really good, matches can get really intense and it will keep you sated until SSB:Brawl comes out.

[B]Legend of Zelda:Twlight Princess[/B]- Not as good as the Wii version, but still a great game for the purists that can't stand the newfangled controllers for the Wii. Great game

[B] Metroid Prime[/B]- one of the few FPS's I enjoy and that's saying something for Metroid. The game is very easy to get into and it is great if you're a big fan of previous installments of Metroid.

[B] Mario Power Tennis (title?)[/B] This game was fun on the N64 and the addtition of power shots and super saves makes the game zanier and more over the top. Great for parties and an addictive experience. Not too deep, but the tennis is still fun.

[B] Sonic Adventure 2:Battle[/B] Maybe the last great Sonic game of our generation. The multiplayer is okay and the single player adventure is good, espcially if you've already played the Dreamcast version. Good experience.

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][/SIZE]

Guest The Blue Jihad
Smash Melee. Mario Power Tennis.

Pick up the Zelda Collector's Edition, and that's all you need, Zelda-wise. Ignore TP. Ignore WW (for now).

Metroid Prime.

Resident Evil 4.

That's all you should really look into grabbing.

Maybe Bomberman Generation. That game is totally bad-***.

I can't even imagine trading in a PS2 for a GameCube. Didn't you want Persona 3?

But if you do, most of what's been mentioned are the best things. I'd recommend Double Dash too. It's given more **** than it necessary and is a lot of fun with a friend.

I also liked Metroid Prime 2 a lot. I don't personally think the life draining aspects hurt it that much, although it can get confusing when shifting dimensions. Otherwise it's a lot more challenging, probably better laid out and a lot of things are improved over the original. The boss fights, in particular, get pretty damn amazing.

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="green"]I could only really suggest Resident Evil if you just wanna play the bare bones edition that doesn't have the cool stuff in the PS2 and Wii versions....but it's a solid experience. If you haven't picked up the other versions, then yeah....go for it.

A pretty solid game would be [B]Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles[/B]. It's like Zelda:Four Swords, but with 3D planes and a simple battle system, compared to other Final Fantasy games. The game only shines well in Multiplayer however, the Single player story can just get tedious at times because they stick you with an annoying mog that doesn't shut up. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Semjaza']I can't even imagine trading in a PS2 for a GameCube. Didn't you want Persona 3?[/QUOTE]
[color=gray]I'm not saying that I'm going to trade in my ps2 (yet), but I am thinking about it though. Yes I want Persona 3, or rather, I am interested in it. And like most of my other games, I don't buy new releases until the price comes down. (I also have other options, but you'd probably be even more disappointed if I said it ;p)

[quote name='Konata']Well, the GameCube is now a bit obsolete since the Wii came, especially since it's almost like the Wii comes with a GameCube itself.[/quote]
Agreed, but I'm a cheap person ;D

Can't say I'm surprised to see the games that were suggested. Smash Bros, Zelda, Resident Evil were obvious games I was expecting to see on everyones lists. (As well as Metroid Prime and more Mario stuff) I just thought there might've been some hidden gems / games people rarely talk about out there that I might've looked over. (With Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, and F-Zero being the only exceptions.)[/color]

Wow, why you'd want to trade your console in is beyond me. But then I tend to end up pulling out old games and playing them again later. Also, even if the GameCube is obsolete, other than TP the Wii has nothing I even find interesting. But I already have a GB so that doesn't really matter.

Anyway, no one has mentioned these two games yet:

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Baten Kaitos Origins

The first one has issues with the voice over sounding like they came from a metal tin can. But over all the game, if you like RPG's was fun. And the second one, which happens before the first one is a lot better. I don't know about the ending though as I've yet to actually beat it.

Oh and even though I'm not a Pokemon fan at all, one of my friends got Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness and really liked it. So if you're into Pokemon then you'd probably like it.

[font=arial][size=1]With the prices of used GameCube consoles around here, you could probably trade in a PS2 [i]game[/i] for one. There's a used books/movies store here that sells GameCubes for $35. I got mine for $60 years ago.

Aside from that, I can't even think of a game for the GC worth buying other than the ones already mentioned. I personally don't like the system for much other than Metroid Prime and the occasional Smash Brothers battle, but I'd rather be playing Metal Gear (rimshot) and Tekken, respectively.[/font][/size]

I would suggest any of the following games:

Resident Evil 4 although it is best to go for the PS2 or just buy a Wii to get tons of additions with it.

Super Smash Bros Melee is a must have.

F-Zero GX is a bloody fun racing game and incredibly fun although Story Mode is almost insanely difficult.

LOZ: Wind Waker is pretty great and I was pretty lucky to get it with a second CD which had Orcarina of Time and Master Quest on it.

Metroid Prime is an excellent game but I cannot speak for Metroid Prime 2.

Resident Evil Zero, another fun Resident Evil and probably the scariest one avaliable.

[quote name='Tombstone'][color=gray] (With Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, and F-Zero being the only exceptions.)[/color][/QUOTE]

I forgot about F-Zero GX, but that game is ****ing amazing in every last way.

If you're looking for something more offbeat, Cubivore is a surprisingly fun title on the system. It's kind of repetitive, but I felt the minimalist art style and weird sense of humor really added to the overall package. It's kind of on the steeper side though, $20 used for a random GameCube title seems like a bit much to me.

There's Eternal Darkness, which I really enjoyed. It has its problems (I think most notably some iffy enemy designs), but it's also pretty unfairly criticized.

There's also Killer7. Controls really weirdly, but I don't think it's hard to play. Interesting story, if you can manage to understand half of it at all. Best part is you could probably find it for like $5. I really think it's one of the system's must play games and it's far superior to the PS2 version.

[quote name='Korey'][B] Sonic Adventure 2:Battle[/B] Maybe the last great Sonic game of our generation. The multiplayer is okay and the single player adventure is good, espcially if you've already played the Dreamcast version. Good experience.[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Ew, 3D Sonic. I tried to play this game when I borrowed it from a friend but stopped half way through because I found it horribly boring apart from the Sonic and Shadow levels. And even those had camera issues along with the control being way too twitchy when you're moving fast.

If you want Sonic I'd recommend [b]Sonic Mega Collection[/b] over either of the Sonic Adventure remakes. The 2D Genesis games in the collection games are much better. But this is also available on the PS2 I believe.[/color]

[quote name='The Blue Jihad']Ignore TP. Ignore WW (for now).[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Shun the heretic.[/color]

Guest The Blue Jihad
[quote name='Desbreko'][COLOR=#4b0082]Shun the heretic.[/COLOR][/quote]

You could. Or you could recall how absolutely lame TP was, and how jaw-dropping OoT was by comparison. TP edges out in [I]some[/I] of the boss battles (namely [spoiler]Water Temple[/spoiler], but that's about it. Other than a small handful of its boss battles, TP is a pacing nightmare with dated game design and lackluster enemy AI.

If Tombstone is looking for a Zelda game on GCN, there's no contest. Zelda Collector's Edition. The original LoZ, Adventures of Link, OoT, and MM.

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]While not the best game on the system, I enjoyed playing Battalion Wars. It’s a third person shooter with a little mixture of real time strategy. The controls were a bit odd for me at first but after a while I got used to it. Plus, it’s been marked down almost everywhere for around $10.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]The battle modes in Bomberman Generation is pretty awesome. It’s a lot of fun when you have a group of other people to battle with. I can’t really say much about the single player mode though since I haven’t really played through it yet. I only bought the game for the multiplayer modes.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]I’m not quite sure if you would enjoy it, but Donkey Kong Jungle Beat was quite an enjoyable experience for me. The drum controls worked surprisingly well and it was a lot better than what I expected. It’s a bit on the short side though, but just trying to top the high score for every level adds in some replay value. I bought the game along with the Bongos brand new at Gamestop for around $20, and it was well worth it at that price.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Desbreko, who is lame']ewww, 3D sonic. [/quote]

I can't believe that you would shun SA2. That game was definitely better than the recent entires in the series, namely Sonic and the Secret Rings. I do agree that the 2D Sonics are much better, but this game merited attention because it was a great party game due to the multiplayer modes. Although I will agree with the camera contols, fighting the BioLizard was just painful.

Twlight Princess is not an original Zelda by far. You still go to temples, defeat bosses and rescue Zelda from Ganon/Ganondorf. Here's the thing though, TP was not supposed to be a revolution in Zelda. However, it was a really good evolution of the series. The horseback combat was a great addition to the series and the ability to change into a Werewolf was a nice distraction. I would really recommend the one for the Wii though, unless you are a purist about Zelda controls.

[color=#606060]These recommendations are great. I would also add Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat. This game requires the bongo drum peripheral but that comes packed-in.

If you like platformers and you want a game that gives you a glimpse of the upcoming brilliance of Super Mario Galaxy, then I'd definitely recommend DKJB. It has some of the best level design I've ever seen in a platformer. I've enjoyed it far more than I ever enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine (and I'm a big Mario fan myself).

Other than that... I wouldn't ignore the GameCube Zeldas. If you do, you will be missing out.

Wind Waker is worth playing for various reasons, even though it's somewhat on the easy side.

I haven't played Twilight Princess on GCN (only on Wii), but the game itself is essentially a bigger, more visually complex version of OoT (with smoother controls and additional gameplay features to boot). If you'd already played OoT and passed it, TP would have less appeal...but if you haven't, you're probably better going for the newer TP rather than the older OoT.

Other than that I don't really have much to add to the lists others have provided. Metroid Prime is a must (I haven't played MP2) and I also think Eternal Darkness is a must, even though it has some sections that can be a little too slow in nature.[/color]

[quote name='Juuthena'][size=1]How much do one of these sell for these days? I'm wondering how much I should regret giving mine away for free. [/size][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Zomg, it's Juu. The oldies just keep trickling back in. :wigout:

GameStop.com has refurbished GameCubes for only $40. The things really are dirt cheap by now, as are a lot of its best games, so it's definitely worth picking one up some time.[/color]

One more suggestion

Capcom vs SNK2: EO (Which stands for Extreme offense): This game is just the original CVS2 with the added feature of using the C stick to instantly throw special moves. Most people shunned this game, espcially the fighting purists, because of that option. However, besides Smash, there really isn't any good fighters for the GC and CVS2 is a brilliant game. Lots of characters, customizable grooves, TONS of room to get better-Heck I'm still learning new stuff everyday in this game and a balanced fighting game engine make this a must buy if you're looking for another good fighter.

[SIZE="1"]If you're a Star Wars fan, pick up [B]Rouge Squadron: Rebel Strike[/B] and [b]Jedi Outcast[/b], the latter being a fairly decent FPS, though as you get further along the story you will inevitably stick to using your lightsaber and growing Force powers. All that said, it features Kyle Katarn, the Chuck Norris of the New Jedi Order. ;)

That said, I agree with Blue Jihad, OOT pwns TWW. Haven't played TP yet so I can't give an opinion there.[/SIZE]