OtakuBoards

Traditional Theater Forum/Sub-Forum?

Okay, so I've been thinking about this a lot. There's really no place in all of Otaku to discuss fine arts, such as traditional stage acting. I'm just curious as to the possibility of one. Maybe as an addition to Music, Movies and TV? Or a sub-forum? it doesn't really fit under any discriptors that we currently have. I'm sure SOMEONE else here hase an interest in Broadway, or even High School Plays. Maybe a stage shows forum to discuss concert tours and stuff, as well.

Just my thoughts, anyone else have any input?

[color=#606060]I think it would be fun to cover live performance but I just don't know how many people are interested in theater here on OB. It's honestly never really come up at all.

Having said that, I think Movies, Music & TV would probably be a good place for this type of content. Plays and live music performances would go well together afterall.

At this stage I don't know if it warrants its own forum, but we could probably expand the Music, Movies & TV forum to cover this form of entertainment.

This may need to involve a name change for the forum. We did have a new name in mind, but I don't know if it encompasses live performance very well. So I definitely welcome suggestions on that.[/color]

[QUOTE=Shy][size=1]I think we can just rename Music/Movies/TV to 'Otaku Entertainment' and call it a day, really.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]Ehh, we already have an Entertainment category, right?

I think [COLOR="DarkRed"]Aceburner[/COLOR]'s suggestion was more along the specific lines of the fine arts. I see his point, since the general connotation of the Music area is more current/popular bands and what. Stuff like drama, theatre, musicals, and the London Phil aren't hit on much, true, but that could be 'cause there's no real place for it. Them. Whatever. True, Music can be thought of as a coverall for this matter, but I don't see that being widely picked up on.

Then again, I doubt the popularity of a discussion of music theory. Musicals and plays might garner some decent attention, but there's only so much you can do....

[quote name='James][color=#606060']This may need to involve a name change for the forum. We did have a new name in mind,....[/color][/quote]
Do tell.

This is about the decline in popularity of the Anime Lounge, no? Nnnn.....
It's true that that sector isn't really a hotspot, I suppose. For myself, I find it difficult to get into discussions of shows I haven't seen yet, which is why I'm usually not over there. (I need to update the [as] line-up ? as if anybody cares. :p ) It's not that I'm not into anime; I am, really. Very much so. It's just that my resources are limited, and I can't go about buying/renting series at each random whim. My funds all get prioritized...mostly into college stuff, but I have three sibling birthdays to think about as well if I have anything left over. It says something that, in the four years I've been watching anime, the only series I've managed to see completely has been Trinity Blood, and [I]that[/I] I just barely managed. Without YouTube, thankyouverymuch.

It's not that I'm not interested, it's because I have nothing to input at present. The same might be true of other members, or it might not, but it's a possible explanation.

If the name right now bothers enough people, go ahead and change it. All I'm saying is that [I]I[/I] don't have a bone with it. And I'm still fairly new here.[/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]I think we should try to avoid redundancy in forum names. "Otaku Entertainment" would be doubly redundant due to it being on OtakuBoards and in the Entertainment category. It kind of defeats the purpose of the forum name.

That said, I'm not sure there is a decent single name that could encompass everything. I'd be more inclined to simply note in the forum description that it can also be used to discuss performing arts and such.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I think we should try to avoid redundancy in forum names. "Otaku Entertainment" would be doubly redundant due to it being on OtakuBoards and in the Entertainment category. It kind of defeats the purpose of the forum name.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]What about [B]Media Centre[/B] then ? Seems to cover the description of the forum without being redundant, though I dare say there's a difference between redundancy and obviousness.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I think we should try to avoid redundancy in forum names. "Otaku Entertainment" would be doubly redundant due to it being on OtakuBoards and in the Entertainment category. It kind of defeats the purpose of the forum name.

That said, I'm not sure there is a decent single name that could encompass everything. I'd be more inclined to simply note in the forum description that it can also be used to discuss performing arts and such.[/color][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Then rename the forum to 'Otaku Media' or 'Otaku Culture' or something.

-Shy[/size] :rolleyes:

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]Having said that, I think Movies, Music & TV would probably be a good place for this type of content. Plays and live music performances would go well together afterall.[/color][/QUOTE]

This is also kinda what I was thinking. It would make perfect sense To put it in Movies, Music & TV if it werent for the fact that it's called Movies, Music & TV. Doesn't really encompass stage acting well.

[quote name='Gavin']What about Media Centre then ? Seems to cover the description of the forum without being redundant, though I dare say there's a difference between redundancy and obviousness.[/quote]

The thing is, the word Media kind of brings to mind Mass Media, i.e. television or radio. A more general term would work, but I can't really think of anything better. Shy's "culture" thing might work, but The lounge covers a lot of "culture-y" stuff, too.

Wait, what about "Performances?" It's kinda weak, but it encompasses most of the idea. Then again, it sounds like a scheduling forum.

[quote name='Aceburner']The thing is, the word Media kind of brings to mind Mass Media, i.e. television or radio. A more general term would work, [B]but I can't really think of anything better[/B]. Shy's "culture" thing might work, but The lounge covers a lot of "culture-y" stuff, too.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Neither could I, because the word Media sums up all kinds of entertainments, but visual and aural. I'll admit the word itself doesn't sound completely right, but it's as close as we're going to get unless we want to call it Entertainment Centre.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Jeremiah']I like the name Entertainment Center or even something like Entertainment Hub. Media Center I'm not too keen on, sounds like something Microsoft would conjure up for Windows. :p[/quote]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Heh, it [i]is[/i] something Microsoft conjured up for Windows (though I'm sure you knew that already, I couldn't resist) which is why I wasn't crazy about Media Center being used either since the first thing that comes to mind is an impossible to setup correctly media player extender.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Petie'][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Heh, it [i]is[/i] something Microsoft conjured up for Windows (though I'm sure you knew that already, I couldn't resist) which is why I wasn't crazy about Media Center being used either since the first thing that comes to mind is an impossible to setup correctly media player extender.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I'd actually forgotten about that. :animesmil

Oh well, then I still think Entertainment Centre would be the most suitable name, even if the category itself is called Entertainment. I suppose the name could be changed to Arts Centre is push came to shove, but that sounds a little too formal to me.[/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial]I dislike the one-phrase 'lumping' solution. True, it solve the problem of connotation by throwing everything in the same boat, but it could still be argued that the category [B]Music[/B] already does the exact same thing ? except that we're still leaving theatre out of the total picture.

Right now I'm trying to think of a way to stick with a tripartite heading, since it feels good to have that kind of separation. Unfortunately, the only way that'd work is if [B]Movies[/B] and [B]TV[/B] were lumped into one category, which is difficult to do because the two genres are still quite different forms of entertainment. At present, all I can come up with is [B]Music, [I]Visual Entertainment[/I], and the Arts[/B]. There's still the "Entertainment" hassle, but I think that the "Visual" clarifier alleviates the redundancy ... and at least there's no "Media" involved. :p

I'm not sure I completely like "Visual Entertainment" as the end-all solution, but I figure if I throw the thought out here someone else might have a brain spasm and hit on something I'm missing.[/FONT]

[color=#606060]I wouldn't worry too much about the name, guys. I might just use the name we had planned for OB Evolution (or something similar).

What will change is the forum description - it will include audio, screen-based media and live performance. I think the forum description will make the difference, moreso than the forum name itself (although we'll definitely have a more general forum name).[/color]