OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

[quote name='Avenged666fold']I spend a majority of my time at T.H.E.M. I occasionally post at ANN and Gaia(gaia sucks btw). Anyway as long as the people at these forums aren't elitist snobs go ahead.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I've never heard of a site with elitist snobs unless the were all actually dumbasses XD Gaia = phail BTW. never heard of T.H.E.M. I mostly camp the Megatokyo anime forum and AnimeSuki forums.

Anyway, i'm way too lazy and busy to go on a link hunt, so I'll just give you [url=http://newunbalance.wordpress.com/2007/09/09/discourse-on-moe-with-brief-pictorial-interludes-of-the-cute-variety/]this[/url] one for now which links to another, I'll edit this post if I grab more. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Avenged666fold'][B]Kamichu 15-16 [/B]

Oh man that was such a damn smexy ending. This is my new second favorite anime evar. It makes me really sad that Geneon got canned...Bah now it's time to finish onizuka and watch Haruhi...wonder which one I should do first.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Haruhi is short, so it should be easy. I, too, am looking forward to watching GTO. Anyway, yeah, Kamichu is great, though I really wich you's stop overusing the word 'sex' and 'smexy'. In any event, I'll be getting the Shrine Box for Xmas ^_^

Anywho, earlier today I realized that I have never eve seen an anime who's name starts with the letter 'U'. I started Uchuu no Stellvia but because (website) had poor quality, I'm waiting for the (action) to finish. In the meantime, I'm watching uta Kata which (website) has much better quality.[/COLOR]

I am reading the second novel in the six part series [B]The War of the Spider Queen[/B] entitled [B]Insurrection[/B]. I have always been fascinated by the psychology of evil (which may explain why I am in love with Caligula's I am a god speech), and what better way to study evil than to read a series dedicated to cunning evil?

God I love Drow.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]MY impressions of Uta Kata while watching...

Five episodes into Uta Kata all I can think of 'is this really supposed to get good?' I'm thinking this, because the reviews I read insinuated that the show begins seeming cutesy, but gets darker quickly. I also read that the first 3 episodes were really slow, but that thinks speed up soon.

However, I'm bored out of my goddamn mind. The first 3 episodes were boring, the fourth episode was boring, and halfway through the fifth episode, it's still ****ing boring. All I've gotten out of this show is an erection, and even that was only mildly exciting while it lasted. However, i did learn one very, very important lesson from these first 4 and a half episodes.

I learned that, while watching anime, I can, in fact, listen to music, type, and watch at the same time. because the shows soundtrack is lame and slow, I'm actually watching the show with sound and everything whilst playing a CD over it. And typing this, too. Am I catching everything? probably not. I can tell what's going on, and I'm reading every line, but it's so painfully uninteresting that I can't place my full attention on it. In fact, right no, the reason I'm typing this right now is because Megatokyo forums keep screwing up on my comp, and the others I frequent are pretty much dead at this hour. I'm writing this for the sole reason that this show is so insanely boring, it'd be impossible to watch without something to do on the side.

If it weren't for the fact that I'm trying to watch a 'U' show, and that I'm looking for an excuse to stay up late, I would have dropped this show 10 minutes ago. Right about the moment I realized that not only were the first 4 episodes uninteresting on the highest level, but that episode 5 was ANOTHER beach episode only 2 EPS LATER.

Yeah. Even for a lame fanservice show, it's pretty phail. I sincerely hope Uchuu no Stellvia is done DLing by the time I get home from school.

ep 6: Switched over to an epic metal album to provide enough excitement not to have to type as well. I've developed the theory that the white side of the yin yang will have all good djinns and the dark side will have bad ones. Hoping to god that spices things up if it's true. I'm actually glad I'm watching this, though, because I can get the opportunity to write a bad review, hehehe....

ep 8: OMG she's thinking about killin that sick girl XDD SHE KILLED THE SICK GIRL!!!! XD And what's more, we got Dying Girl Fanservice XD oh dammit, she's alive... lame...

I really, really can't stand the i-can't-control-my-actions shtick almost as much as I hate the mystery-mentioned-but-not-revealed till later stereotype. It's like this show wanted to do as much wrong as humanly possible...

ep 10: the parent dream is officially THE tackiest thing EVEEEEEEEER.

ep 11: 7 djinn 7 sins theory is such ****... there was no representation at all. BTW i can't believe they're in their swimsuits AGAIN.

ep 12: What a boring, dumb, illogical anitclimax.

Conclusion: It would be a lie to say I hated everything about Uta Kata. I love the character designs. I also enjoyed the yuri and yaoi for what it was - that being yuri and yaoi. Basically, I liked fapping my way through half the show.

Other than that, this was the most boring, stupid tripe I've seen in a long time. I doubt I'll even remember this **** a week from now. At least I got a 'u'. can i go home now?[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]Haruhi is short, so it should be easy. I, too, am looking forward to watching GTO. Anyway, yeah, Kamichu is great, though I really wich you's stop overusing the word 'sex' and 'smexy'. In any event, I'll be getting the Shrine Box for Xmas ^_^[/QUOTE]
Meh I chose GTO and It was worth it...keeps getting smexier and smexier(btw I do that offline tooo...). Haruhi looks OK doubt I doubt it will be as good as Kamichu. Oh and the Shrine set is well worth it.

[B]GTO 36-29[/B]

Wow Onizuka is the most resilient character ever.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Meh I chose GTO and It was worth it...keeps getting smexier and smexier(btw I do that offline tooo...). Haruhi looks OK doubt I doubt it will be as good as Kamichu. Oh and the Shrine set is well worth it.

[B]GTO 36-29[/B]

Wow Onizuka is the most resilient character ever.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Kamichu is a rare gem of a show, but Haruhi is an equally rare gem of a show. Both are worthy of mega-praise though Haruhi gets extra points for energy.

Also, i'm currently watching Uchuu no Stellvia, which get win points for a main character who's a hacker girl.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]Kamichu is a rare gem of a show, but Haruhi is an equally rare gem of a show. Both are worthy of mega-praise though Haruhi gets extra points for energy. [/QUOTE] Well seeing as how a whole crap load of people worship haruhi like God it's gotta be good right? Oh and the lead character of Haruhi is a god as well right?

Not manga, but anime-related: currently reading [b]Seirei no Moribito[/b] (it's the first book in the series, and the only one covered by the anime of the same name; the second book is called Yami no Moribito). Because it's a children's novel, it's relatively clear & easy to follow despite the fantasy setting. So far it's exactly the same as the anime, but I hear that they get pretty different later on.

For whatever it's worth, Arthur A. Levine Books (the Scholastic imprint that originally brought Harry Potter over from the UK) has the rights to release the Moribito series in English. There's no release date yet, but one of the editors who helped with HP mentioned it on her blog, which was exciting.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Not manga, but anime-related: currently reading [b]Seirei no Moribito[/b] (it's the first book in the series, and the only one covered by the anime of the same name; the second book is called Yami no Moribito). Because it's a children's novel, it's relatively clear & easy to follow despite the fantasy setting. So far it's exactly the same as the anime, but I hear that they get pretty different later on.

For whatever it's worth, Arthur A. Levine Books (the Scholastic imprint that originally brought Harry Potter over from the UK) has the rights to release the Moribito series in English. There's no release date yet, but one of the editors who helped with HP mentioned it on her blog, which was exciting.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Oooohhh.... interesting! I was never interested in the series because I heard it was really boring, but your endorsement has always interested me, and it's one of the highest rated shows on AniDB (their rating system is ***, though). Either way, now I'm more tempted. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Well seeing as how a whole crap load of people worship haruhi like God it's gotta be good right? Oh and the lead character of Haruhi is a god as well right?[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Firstly, no, not really. But it means the chances of it being good (or at least that you'll like it) are decently high. I personally didn't think Haruhi quite lived up to the mega hype surrounding it but I did enjoy it. ... And I happen to be listening to Hare Hare Yukai right now so, you know, it's stuck with me one way or another.

Secondly, maybe sorta kinda yes. We think. :p

Also, I've been on the fence about whether or not to watch Uta Kata for quite a while. (Partly due to laziness and always seeming to find some other series I want to watch more.) And now I'm even more uncertain. lol[/color]

[QUOTE]Firstly, no, not really. But it means the chances of it being good (or at least that you'll like it) are decently high. I personally didn't think Haruhi quite lived up to the mega hype surrounding it but I did enjoy it. ... And I happen to be listening to Hare Hare Yukai right now so, you know, it's stuck with me one way or another.[/QUOTE]What could live up to the hype? and I guess even though things have a lot of fans and hype they can still suck(to me at least). I mean look at Elfen Lied...I hate that and it has thousands of fanboys and girls.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']What could live up to the hype? and I guess even though things have a lot of fans and hype they can still suck(to me at least). I mean look at Elfen Lied...I hate that and it has thousands of fanboys and girls.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Elfen Lied has THE most divergent opinion I've ever seen. It's like two camps of 'hate it utterly' and 'love it too damn much.'

Anyway, I watched Haruhi before I really became an otaku, and so it sat very high on my list for a loooong time just cuz I remembered it like that. however, now that I've seen much much more, it's become less of a 'ZOMg favorite' and more 'well, that's a really good show.' Definitely been booted from my top 5. [/COLOR]

Well we will see once I finish GTO now won't we?

[QUOTE]Elfen Lied has THE most divergent opinion I've ever seen. It's like two camps of 'hate it utterly' and 'love it too damn much.'[/QUOTE]
I can't help that I hate it...and to be fair the love it too damn much section is larger.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Well we will see once I finish GTO now won't we?

I can't help that I hate it...and to be fair the love it too damn much section is larger.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Only because the camp of people who've seen nothing but popular **** is larger, XD. Although some like me are just on the 'it's okay' side (I belive Dagger stands there?) however I've usually seen people either hating it for no reason (YOU) or people who treat it like the holy grail. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE]I've usually seen people either hating it for no reason (YOU)[/QUOTE] I have reasons...I don't just hate things for no apparent reason...

Here is a quote from another forum(it's a year or two old).

[QUOTE]The blood and gore and nudity is suppose to add to the dark scene. I disagree. I think it killed any darkness in the scene. Darkness in my opinion should be very subtle. That's how it will disturb me. I believe they did all the blood and gore and stuff so they could gain that audience. The audience was a gore hound audience. When they did horrible things to people it seemed obvious(at least to me) that they were trying to shock you. Not make any sort of statement. Not anything like that. To shock you and get you scared. In the whole horror movie aspect this anime was good. If you came into this looking to be scared and you are scared by this sort of thing this is a good anime. All these people who say "Oh it's making a statement about society." OK so I thought about it and this is what they are trying to say.

People are evil. No matter what they do they are evil. All bullies deserve to die. We will be extinct if we don't stop something unstoppable. People really suck.

That's all I can find. So basically to me if I look past the violence and try to find a meaning the only thing there is basically "People suck,no matter what just because they are people. Women are dangerous angry and evil and men are weak,power hungry, and evil "

So basically If I view this as a serious anime and think about it it pisses me off.

If I watch it for what I really think it is (a horror flick) it is boring. [/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I never saw any horror element to Elfen Lied. I saw a decent romantic drama spliced with lots of blood. It was just doing what it did - no need to go looking for deep meanings. It had morals, but like... every show does. Even Uta Kata XDDD (BTW Dagger I want a detailed synopsys of how you enjoyed that crap, and then I want you to read my review of it when I'm done O_O_o_O *FULL OF HATE*)

EDIT: Oh, and there is an Elfen Lied thread, too.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]I never saw any horror element to Elfen Lied. [/QUOTE]Well I wouldn't call something like the Devils Rejects horror but the blood scares people so people call it horror...

[QUOTE]EDIT: Oh, and there is an Elfen Lied thread, too.[/QUOTE]
I think I posted in it before. And that tidbit was to show you that I don't blindly hate it....I have reasons...
[QUOTE]
It was just doing what it did - no need to go looking for deep meanings.[/QUOTE]You might think so but I browsed through that Elfen Lied thread and a lot of people seemed to dig into the subject matter and meanings a lot...

[quote name='Deus ex Machina'][COLOR="DarkOrange"](BTW Dagger I want a detailed synopsys of how you enjoyed that crap, and then I want you to read my review of it when I'm done O_O_o_O *FULL OF HATE*)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Not sure how much of a point there is to this, but whatever. It's a uniquely creepy magical girl series with splendid costume designs and the best execution of Megumi Kadonosono's character designs to date (Keiji Gotoh being the director must have helped).

What I found most memorable was the atmosphere. The title Utakata (うた∽かた) means "a fragment of a song/poem," but it's also a reference to the word utakata (泡沫), which means something as transient as bubbles in water. The whole show is saturated with this bizarre, bittersweet premonition of loss that casts an unexpected gloom over the archetypal main duo (cheerful girl + stifled girl) and the pubescent fanservice. The mahou shoujo for male fans genre was not the place where I expected to find [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_no_aware][u]mono no aware[/u][/url] out in full force, to say the least.

The isolated elements--plot, characters, whatever--are no more or less standard, unique, nonsensical, or a waste of time than in your average half-length series. It's the full package that becomes intriguing, because it hints at being more than the sum of its parts, but how that gets received very much depends (obviously) on the individual viewer.

I'm not interested in defending Utakata to the death or anything. I just enjoyed it. Haven't thought about it in a while, but come to think of it, I might like to rewatch it.

~Dagger~

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I'm currently watching [b]Samurai 7[/b], or rather, what's left of it on IFC. I'm gonna have to put my tape on because I kind of forgot what happened, and how the gang got up to the point to where [spoiler]Katsu is fight bravely[/spoiler] for once.

My favorite character out of the bunch is Kyuzo. The silent killing types are always a favorite for me. While I can't stand Kikuchiyo. He's not as annoying as other characters in other animes, (Shinji, Shippo, Naruto) but he's annoying enough to piss me off. I really don't know what Kambei saw in him. (Gotta watch it again, so don't tell me yet lol.)

The action and animation (at times the animation can be inconsistent, but it shouldn't be too big a problem since the action in this still made it look good lol... To me anyway.) is what really stands out for me because it's all at a fast pace. I love my fast paced action lol. If only Bleach's action was as good as this, I'd like it a little more. (At the very least Bleach's fighting could've been as good as Naruto's fighting.) But that's another story.

Just read chapter 382 of [b]Naruto[/b]. Stalling too much.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[B]The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 0-3[/B]

Excellent. I don't like it as much as I like Kamichu so far but it's really awesome. I got a question for Dues Ex though. Since you were relatively new to anime when you saw episode zero how did you feel about it? Did it confuse you a little bit? It seemed as if it was aimed at the more seasoned anime fan.

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Well, I'm currently watching Fate/Stay Night that's currently showing in Animax. So far I've enjoyed watching it. I like the storyline of this anime and some of its funny parts...^^

So far, this anime is really intersting...hehe...[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Tombstone'][COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
My favorite character out of the bunch is Kyuzo. The silent killing types are always a favorite for me. While I can't stand Kikuchiyo. He's not as annoying as other characters in other animes, (Shinji, Shippo, Naruto) but he's annoying enough to piss me off. I really don't know what Kambei saw in him. (Gotta watch it again, so don't tell me yet lol.)
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Kikuchiyo is the best character by far in the live-action film. It's not like his personality is that different... the actor in Seven Samurai is really expressive & funny, though (he appears in practically every Kurosawa movie, in a wide range of roles). It might be partly because they made him a big hulking cyborg, but I agree that Kikuchiyo is just plain abrasive in the anime.

~Dagger~