OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

[size=1]Still watching [B]Sailor Moon[/B]! But I just got into the third season.
I also just watched the first episode of [B]The Snow Queen[/B]. It's based off an old European fairy tale. The music is beautiful, and the show is cute overall so far. I'm actually very excited to continue it. Unfortunately, the site I'm watching it on only has 12 out of 36 episodes available. :(

Finished reading [B]Chobits[/B], too. Think I'll start the [B]Kashimashi[/B] manga next. [/size]

[COLOR="Navy"][b]Currently watching[/b]
[i]Blood+[/i] - Err... I've been having alot of ups and downs (more downs) with this series because I can't stand Saya, Riku or Kai. And there voices don't make it any better especially when yelling/crying. And then everything is relatively slow, and I get real sleepy while watching it. Some of the fights can be nice, but "shrugs". I won't say much about the story since I've been skipping alot of episodes. (Skip a week and come back the next lol)

[i]Trinity Blood[/i] - Probably a crime here, but I like this alot more than Blood+. I know the ending was bogus (confusing in my book), but the episodes before that are pretty good, to me atleast. Although, 2 characters really need to go. Esther and Ion. The girl is dumb, and the little vampire is annoying. And his VA does no justice when it comes to screaming. (murder on the ears) Animation is prettiful. I wish they did some samurai type animes. I'd love to see some of the action scenes they can pull off in a samurai anime.

[b]Currently reading[/b]: Nothing... Waiting for the next chapter of Bleach.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Watching

[B]KA MI CHU! 1-6[/B]
Its really laid back and the pacing is pretty different from what I expected. It works for it though as it makes all the weird critter's n stuff walking around more surreal. A love interest is starting to show and the lead character is getting into her godlike powers. So far so good.
[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamichu[/URL]

Reading

[B]Tekkon Kinkreet[/B]

It's pretty unique. Never actually read anything like it before. I only read the first 4 chapters so far but the story is developing well. White is turning into a interesting character while black...does comic relief and portrays....uh "innocence" well. So far so good.
[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekkonkinkreet[/URL][/COLOR]

Right now, I'm really just watching Gundam 00, Genshiken 2, and Kamen Rider Den-O. Don't really have another series that I can watch more than once a week since I finished Koutetsushin Jeeg and Eureka 7.

I'm currently reading Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel, which is feeling like Gunbuster set in UC, which is fine with me.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Right now I am watching Kyo Kara Maoh! So awesome. You all need to watch it.

[IMG]http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=image&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent.answers.com%2Fmain%2Fcontent%2Fwp%2Fen%2Fc%2Fc4%2FA3741-76thumbnail.jpg&moduleId=image_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image Details[/IMG]

After this Friday, I hope to read Vampire Knights. I really enjoyed it when I read some of it in Shonen Beat.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Deus ex Machina'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Copied from m3h blowg.

[B]WARNING: If you’re cynical to the effect of anime on persons, you migt as well not read :p
WARNING 2: SPOILERS FOR HITOHIRA AND MANABI STRAIGHT
[/B]

So… to start, a couple days ago my brother and I marathoned Manabi Straight. I was initially watching this show when t was first being subbed, but I lost track around episode 8 and simply never got back to it. Little did I know how much timing would effect my perception of the show.

Anyone who’s watched both Manabi and Hitohira will immediatel draw parallels between the two. First of all, both are stories of a small group who wants to fight against all odds to keep their club alive. In a lot of ways, though, the stories are sort of opposite. In Manabi Straight, Mikan starts as the only member of the student council, but gradually she is surrounded by friends who help her push forward. In Hitohira, Mugi is dragged into an already existing tight group of friends for whom she must be the strong one.

Still, both of them are a similar journey of a shy girl who needs the help of her strong friends to keep their time alive, even if they know it won’t last. In Hitohira, every odd is against the club, and you can pretty much tell right off that [spoiler]there’s no chance in hell that they’re going to make it.[/spoiler] Similarly, in Manabi, the girls are fighting almost [spoiler]for a lost cause because they know that their school fair will be he last one and that their school is dying anyway, but they still push on.[/spoiler]

Both of these shows take an extra responsibility, though, in the end. These are no fairy tales, where the big event comes, everything is glamorous, and then the show ends. Nono, both of these shows feature the constant climb to the top of this mountain that is their utmost goal, and both also watch the characters as they climb down the other side - and at some points, tumble on their way down.

Hitohira probably does the better job of exploring this part of the journey, if only because it took a couple more episodes after the big event. After this whole long journey - this battle to preserve that one moment, all the growth that comes along with it, the intense struggle… when you’ve reached the pinaccle of your journey, what happens next? That’s the million dollar question. In Hitohira, there is a lot of drama put into [spoiler]Mugi’s last attempts to hold onto her time of happiness, and he wanting to stay with her senpai and the others who have to move on.[/spoiler] In Manabi, it’s more collective as we know that everyone will be [spoiler]moving on together, and Mikan is relieved of her stress much easier.[/spoiler] I think Mikan is simply a bit stronger than Mugi, though both are admirable in their conquest in the end.

The most important difference between the two, and the one that made me so happy to watch Manabi Straight later than Hitohira, is the ending. I don’t really know whether to call Hitohira’s ending a ‘happy’ or ’sad’ ending. It’s simply a ‘real’ ending. At the end of Hitohira, [spoiler]Mugi is somewhat optimistic, only promising herself that one day she’l cross that bridge into the outside word as well. But we don’t really know what happens. In the end, all we know is that she will one day have to move on, but whether she does so successfully or not is left up in the air.[/spoler]

Meanwhile Manabi’s ending is much more [spoiler]fulfilling. We see everyone move on. We see them happily in their futures, and we see Mikan come back for a visit, and we know exactly how it goes for them. [/spoiler]I can’t tell you how thankful I was for this ending, though the night after watching this show, I had a complete breakdown and was bawling my head off ^^;; Hitohira had left me questioning my own future. Being a child about to go into 11th grade, I have a lot of questions about my future, and I’m terrified to have to walk out into the world. Hitohira was like a reflection of my own feelings in Mugi. I’m just like her - timid and not ready for what’s ahead. So seeing Manabi Straight [spoiler]bringing everyone into the future and showing that there really is a great time to be had, and that your life isn’t going to change to the point of destruction[/spoiler] was greatly appreciated.

I don’t really want to talk about myself to much here, but I have to say, Manabi Straight gives me a lot of confidence in my future, and really was a moving experience for someone in a position like my own. It’s really a shame that I don’t appreciate my school life more, and that the people around me aren’t like the characters in anime, lol.

If you haven’t seen either show, i think it’s best to watch Hitohira first. Hitohira is a more depressing series all around, whereas Manabi is constantly uplifting. If your like me, you’ll definitely appreciate the experience. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="darkorange"]A continuation, even though I doubt anyone's interested.

This time, though, it’s in regards to my just completing NieA_7. Back when I made that other post, I was in a state of wondering what was going to happen as a result of a coming large event, just like the characters in those shows. However, once again my timing was perfect and I managed to match up with Mayuko in NieA_7 as I wached it. This time, the series has a bit of a different take on this similarity.

Whereas Manabi Straight and Hitohira are effected by some large event, Mayuko sufers a similar dillemma in her everyday life. Instead of going from one normal to something completely new and not knowing what to do, she struggles with wether or not what she’s already doing is the right thing as well as the worries of change. I think Mayuko’s situation and reactions are the most realistic of the bunch as well. Both Manabi and Hitohira use drama to their advantage - in one case, harsh drama and in the other, comedic drama to portray their points. NieA_7 is instead a quiet contemplative take on the issue that focuses on Mayuko alone and her own dealing with these problems.

The things that make Mayuko’s situation exquisetely written in my view is the exact way she is effected by others. Which is to say, they don’t have drastic effect on her, but she does consider their views. Whereas the decisions of Mikan and Mugi are heavily influenced by their inspirational counterparts, Mayuko is pretty much left to think about these things by herself, and the words of others are only considerations.

Like Manabi and Hitohira, NieA_7 also has a different kind of ending entirely. As said in the other post, Manabi ends with [spoiler]everyone succeeding[/spoiler], and hithoira ends with the characters [spoiler]having a new focus on life[/spoiler]. However, NieA_7 takes great care to portray a lack of change. It shows how, in the end, things don’t ever really change as much as you might think, and even ends [spoiler]in the same way it began.[/spoiler] In some ways, i might call this the most mature of the endings, though Manabi is still my favorite because it actually [spoiler]takes that extra step to show you the future[/spoiler], however, in that regards it’s philosophy might be opposite to NieA_7’s.

In any case, all three are excellent series, and all interesting outlooks on life. So far, ef seems to contain a lot of these elements as well, but in a more adult light and with far more intricacies that i will definiely be posting about when the series comes to an end.[/COLOR]

[color=darkred][size=1]

[b][u]Current Manga Titles[/b][/u]

Naruto: Shippuden
Bleach
Eyeshield 21

[b][u]Current Anime Titles[/b][/u]

Death Note
Bleach (currently not on air)
The Boondocks

Death Note is pretty interesting in a Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. kinda way, but I wish there was a little more action. Eyeshield is fun to read because I like sports manga alot, though I wish I could find a place to read Dunk, because I was really into that and Harlem Beat. The Boondocks is always hilarious

Right now I'm searching around Veoh and YouTube for a new anime series to pick up. Having a hard time though.[/color][/size]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]The Boondocks

The Boondocks is always hilarious.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I agree. It's one of the best shows out there, and I own several compilation volumes of the original newspaper comics. However, it's not anime. At all. In fact, it's a show about American urban youth, if it were anime it would pretty much discredit the show entirely. It does have a lot of anime influence, though, as Aaron Mcgruder is apparently a fan of samurai shows.

Oh, and since I didn't list my manga at all before, i'm reading Nazo no Kanojo X which is just plain awesome. I'm trying to DL the complete translated Yume Tsukai manga but I can't get any goddamn seeds!!!

Oh, and go watch Baccano. If Pulp Fiction were an anime, it would be Baccano.[/COLOR]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]

Considering that everything except the writing and voices for the Boondocks is done by an Eastern production house, I'd give it that its an anime.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]You could say that about any American cartoons. That doesn't make them anime. That's just how it is. [/COLOR]

People use the term anime in different ways and people have different thoughts on it's actual definition. People argue about it's definition on forums all the time so I think we should be a little open minded when someone says the boondocks is anime...I mean it's not like you can actually prove him wrong...

Just watched a short (under eight minutes) yuri ONA called, quite inexplicably, [b]Candy Boy[/b]. I don't know if it's a pilot or a one-shot or what, but I'd say yuri fans might as well give it a look... not a big waste of time if you don't like it.

I'm not a fan of the twincest angle unless it's treated seriously. When it's done lightly, as in this ONA, you come away unsure as to whether the creators were going for the "pure sisterly love" feeling, or the "it's okay because we're twins or... er, something" feeling, or what. I did kind of like the character designs, though. I just don't understand why they had to be sisters--would've been more to my tastes if they were just roommates or something.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Just watched a short (under eight minutes) yuri ONA called, quite inexplicably, [b]Candy Boy[/b]. I don't know if it's a pilot or a one-shot or what, but I'd say yuri fans might as well give it a look... not a big waste of time if you don't like it.

I'm not a fan of the twincest angle unless it's treated seriously. When it's done lightly, as in this ONA, you come away unsure as to whether the creators were going for the "pure sisterly love" feeling, or the "it's okay because we're twins or... er, something" feeling, or what. I did kind of like the character designs, though. I just don't understand why they had to be sisters--would've been more to my tastes if they were just roommates or something.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Maybe I'll look for clips of it. Hentai right? I'll just DL the sex scenes XD

Avennged666fold lets just put it this way. An otaku woud never consider The Boondocks an anime. That's jsut the bottom line. The entire debate is a rhetoric in fruitlessness. The only people calling it anime are people who don't watch as much anime, so it might as well not be considered anime. [/COLOR]

Well I watch plenty of anime...and I still consider it anime...but I guess I'm not "otaku" so whatever.

[B]Boondocks Public Enemy #2 [/B]

Pretty solid. Not as funny as a right to be hostile. Some of Aarons Jokes aren't as subtle as hostile which takes away from it. It sorta changed my view on a few things politically...and BET officially sucks...

[QUOTE]a style of animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes[/QUOTE]

That's the Merriam Webster dictionary definition of anime. Is the Boondocks not colorful and action filled?

[color=darkred][size=1]

Considering that I've been watching anime since I was a small child, I would consider myself an otaku.

I consider Boondocks an anime because it has such a definitely Japanese art style. Just because an anime has been dubbed and re-written into English doesn't mean its not anime anymore. So if the Boondocks started off scripted in English and was originally done with English voices, I can still consider it anime. If it airs in Japan, I'm sure the Japanese consider it an anime series.

But really I don't find it that important to debate. Just a matter of our points of view on the subject.[/color][/size]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]

Considering that I've been watching anime since I was a small child, I would consider myself an otaku.

I consider Boondocks an anime because it has such a definitely Japanese art style. Just because an anime has been dubbed and re-written into English doesn't mean its not anime anymore. So if the Boondocks started off scripted in English and was originally done with English voices, I can still consider it anime. If it airs in Japan, I'm sure the Japanese consider it an anime series.

But really I don't find it that important to debate. Just a matter of our points of view on the subject.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Indeed. though I sincerely hope it doesn't air in Japan, as the jokes would go over everyone's heads XD Well, really, it goes over the heads of 90% of it's audience, or just about everyone who's favorie character is Riley >_> And Avenged, I agree, A Rigt to be Hostile is much better, and I think the jokes have progressively gotten weaker with time, as I've seen some of the more recent comics 9my newspaper unfortuanetally doesn't carry the boondocks) which weren't that great, mostly for the same reason that I haven't been enjoying season 2 of the show nearly as much as the first one - the jokes started getting reused a lot. You can only poke fun of black america for so long before you run out of things to make fun of and a lot of stuff has to get reused.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]And Avenged, I agree, A Right to be Hostile is much better, and I think the jokes have progressively gotten weaker with time, as I've seen some of the more recent comics (my newspaper unfortunetaly doesn't carry the boondocks) which weren't that great, mostly for the same reason that I haven't been enjoying season 2 of the show nearly as much as the first one - the jokes started getting reused a lot. You can only poke fun of black America for so long before you run out of things to make fun of and a lot of stuff has to get reused.[/QUOTE]But that's the way things go huh? Can't stay fresh forever. All in all I think Arons career has been a successful one and he has influenced pop culture quite a bit. Who knows he might make something amazing in the next few years. The driving force behind the show and comic in my opinion is Huey more than anything. Some of the seemingly outrageous things that happen in the series are put into perspective by him and sometimes reign true. Believe it or not I am recognizing ***** moments in my day to day life...

Man the boondocks kick *** (whether you think it's anime or not you gotta agree with me there).

[COLOR=#001824][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='Deus ex Machina'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Indeed. though I sincerely hope it doesn't air in Japan, as the jokes would go over everyone's heads XD [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Too late, like [URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=3CPMQ5R8qJA"][I]half a year late[/I][/URL]. At least the intro made me laugh though.

As of late I've been getting into Kaiji which is basically the exact same thing as Akagi only with Rock - Paper - Scissors. I tend to find it funny while watching an episode of it and realizing idiotic it must sound, yet I almost always find myself disappointed when an episode is over. It just draws me in that much. [spoiler]Plus, its funny to watch the majority of Kaiji's plans fail right when he thinks he has won[/spoiler]. Also, Funai.

I also just started watching Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, but I still am unsure what I think of it thus far. A first look tells me that it is basically Scooby-Doo mixed with Hellsing.

Protip: Boondocks is not anime.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Dagger']No, it's not hentai. Actually, it looks like a fansub group released it today (quick turnover... I guess because it's so short). Most people seem to have liked it a lot more than me... *shrugs*

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Well, having seen others talk about it, I decided to give it a shot.

It's probably an understatement to say I liked it - normally I don't have much feelings toward things this short, but I really enjoyed this and hope so much that this might become an actual series. First things first the art was b-e-a-UTIFUL, and I loved the character designs. As for the story itself, it did a hundred times more for me in 8 minutes then I could scrape from 2 episodes of Kannazuki no Miko. The writing was great and I loved how the comedy was subtle, the portrayal of emotions without totally relying on dialogue, all of it fit very well. I can't help but anticipate more! Damn you 8 minutes![/COLOR]

ARGH... I fail at life. (Read: I caved and caught up on the 4:3 version of Clannad. :animecry:)

I've avoided reading anything specific about the game story, but given what I've seen about it being extremely long--especially the latter half of it--I'm wondering how they plan to fit in all the separate girls plus the after story. Ah well. It's the after story that intrigues me a lot more than any of the girls in particular (except lovely Kyou~).

One of the problems that carries over from Kanon to Clannad (for me personally) is the fact that it's so heavily school-based. Somehow that emphasizes the fact that Fuuko's story (can't speak for any of the others yet) is very standard Key fare.

The fact that Tomoya and Nagisa are spending so much time together already continues to be a huge plus, though.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Ikillion'][COLOR=#001824][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]
As of late I've been getting into Kaiji which is basically the exact same thing as Akagi only with Rock - Paper - Scissors.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]Yeah, I've only seen the first couple ep's, but I think the funniest thing about this show has got to be Kaiji's nose. I mean, jeebus! That thing is [B]huge[/B]! Seriously, like every time he talk's I stare at his nose. It's like, the only thing I see on the screen, lol. And yeah, the way he [spoiler]alway's fail's is pretty funny too, lol, he's such a loser....^^[/spoiler] But yeah, this show is great, absolutely hilarious, lol. Good thing you got me into it Iki-senpai!. n_n[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Copied from blog, because it's full of emotion!

So, I went and watched he first ep of YamiBou. As I expected, the people who liked it did so for the wong reasons, as well as those who hate it. Some said the story was confusing. This is entirely untrue. What it is is boring, stupid, poorly written, ***-reeking trite that I wouldn?t suggest to a Narutard. I spent the entire episode oing ?please, dear god, let this end up getting good? but no, it didn?t. I hate the characters, the show is boring, the plot is crap, and the whole thing can go burn along with the shattered image of the yuri community. Between this and KnM I could light my skull on fire and have a lot more fun.

Oh, and that ****ing camera is the most annoying **** I?ve ever seen, and to those who loved the character designs so much, I hated them and I hated the fact that every ***** in the joint had excessively huge but poorly shaped breasts. I?ve got a mind to rewatch MariMite and cry in ashemedness.

Also, yesterday I got 2 cheap but AWESOME DVDS.

Simoun volume one as well as Jing in Seventh Heaven OVA. I couldn't be happier - can't wait to watch both!!![/COLOR]

[quote name='Dagger']ARGH... I fail at life. (Read: I caved and caught up on the 4:3 version of Clannad. :animecry:)[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082][center][img]http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/2498/pedroly0.jpg[/img]
[b]NOOOOOOOOO!!![/b][/center]
My sexy Dagger has betrayed me! How . . . how could you? :animecry:

In case no one got that, I've been watching Excel Saga. I had seen about half of the series (not in order, but episodes here and there throughout the series) back when the R1 DVDs were first being released and my oldest brother was buying them but I never got to watch the whole thing. Plus, since it's been years since then, I barely remember any of the details.

But even though I don't remember any specifics, it doesn't seem as funny as I remember. There have definitely been scenes that have made me bust out laughing but they're pretty inconsistent. A lot of the time it doesn't go beyond a smile or a small chuckle. I'm not sure if it's just the nostalgia effect coming into play or if my taste in humor has changed too much.

Also, I'd completely forgotten about this scene until I started rewatching the series. But I think seeing Excel get hit by that truck at the beginning of ep1 all those years back was another source of my habit of imagining that happening whenever there's a parting in an anime and a character is walking away across a street. FFVII's Palmer getting hit by the truck in Rocket Town and this seem like the oldest and most likely origins.[/color]