OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Yeah, I'm not really planning to go back for Excel Saga. I've heard too much debate about it to care.

w00t! To match that awesome but cheap DVD call the other day, I got an awesome manga/ln haul today! Went out to buy a mangea and wouldn't you know it Gunslinger Girl 6 was there!!! I didn't even know it was out!!! Hayate five was out too, but I only had 20 bucks and I REALLY wanted to get NHK novel. I read the little beginning part and the translation already seemed astounding, so I just can't wait to read it! Awesome haul![/COLOR]

[quote name='EmoHinata-chan']What I am up to is reading Tsubasa and watching the latest episode of Blood+. The thing is not a lot of people know what those are. It is so sad.:nervous:[/QUOTE]
Actually both of those are pretty popular. Tsubasa is by clamp so it's gonna be popular...and Blood+ is on adult swim not to mention the fact that it is a continuation of a movie that was hugely popular(in the anime community at least).

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]EDIT: I'm aware no one here watched Simoun, but...

So, watched the first Simoun DVD.

OH. MY. ****ING. GOD. I had forgotten just how absolutely AMAZING Simoun is *nosebleed* can you believe I watched this **** the first time on Crunchyroll?! I'm watching it on DVD going 'ZOMG Backgrounds!!! ZOMG music!!! ZOMG sound effects!!!" It's like a whole new experience, and what's more, when you know what you're getting into the first episode has a LOT more impact. I also had totally forgotten the scene that made me a fan in the first place when [spoiler]Aer madly hacks that dead guy's fingers off[/spoiler]. Even on the second go, even afer only 6 episodes this show is so very powerful. Amazing cast, amazing visuals - the first time I watched this I could never tell WTF was going on and now I'm freaking out about how downright gorgeous everything is!

Rimone and dominura are still awesome, Parietta is still great, Aer is still one of my favorite characters ever... and I'm loving this even more the second time around. My yuri loving is finally getting satiated! I could never commend this show enough - I can't wait for the other DVDs.

And by the way I LOVED the extras. The seiyuu were all so awesome! Mamiina's seiyuu is adorable!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Copied from a post about pacing, which is why I talk about it so much, but I think it was important. BTW, Yurie may be my new favorite character evar.

I just finished Kamichu which, in my opinion, had about perfect pacing. The show is a very quiet, slow-paced affair, and yet it manages to hold my attention thorouhgly throughout. Unlike many shows in it?s vein, it manages to be slow but still interesting, and when it picks up, it is thoroughly dramatic and piques your involvement. Whether the episode is about an national emergency involving martians, a romantic confession of love, or just about Yurie being sick and staying in, it never gets boring. Even more interesting is that the episodes always felt a lot longer than they really were (the same effect that most slice-of-life shows seem to have) but were crammed with memorable moments (this is one of the very very few shows where I could probably recall what happened in each episode by number after one go-through.) It was also the perfect length, not too short to be memorable nor too long to remain interesting. At 16 episodes, it?s just perfect.[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]Currently I'm switching between both the Bleach and Naruto animes and manga, I got into Bleach only a while back, but I think it's a great series, certainly rivalling DBZ for my favourite anime/manga.

I suppose one of my favourite aspects to the show is that despite the completely supernatural premise to the show, because let's face it, it doesn't come much more supernatural than the main character being a reaper, it still retains a lot of it's sense of reality. I think the most obvious thing here is that characters actually change their clothes on a regular basis, and they're a healthy mix of different peoples, which is nice.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="77656"]Well Gavin, if you've seen the anime, you'd know that the whole [spoiler]rescuing Rukia from execution is boring.[/spoiler] The only part that I enjoed recently was when what's-his-name [spoiler]did thegreat Quince thing that could make him lose his powers. And the whole Ichigo trying to make his Zanpakto stronger.[/spoiler]

So if the manga is like it, don't be surprised if it gets boring.[/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]I thought the Soul Society arc was the best of the anime so far, actually. At least for actual plot progression; the intro arc before that where everybody is basically just screwing around while characters are introduced was fun but not much happened.

Now, the Bounto (read: filler) arc after the Soul Society arc? [i]That's[/i] boring. The whole arc can basically be summed up in this one phrase: Vampires fight using dolls. And it's as bad as it sounds.

As for myself, I'm currently watching Aria the Animation. And I have to say, I picked the perfect show to watch after Excel Saga. It's calm and relaxing where Excel Saga is crazy and hyper, which provides a nice break. Aria seems almost like a cross between Kaleido Star and Sketchbook ~full color'S~ (disregarding the fact that Sketchbook is newer). Though Kaleido Star and Aria being directed by the same person and sharing a few seiyuus contributes to the similarity. At any rate, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

And [url=http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/7563/ariashachou01vb8.jpg][u]Aria-shachou[/u][/url] is just plain awesome. He may be my favorite anime pet ever.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Aria seems almost like a cross between Kaleido Star and Sketchbook ~full color'S~ [/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I dunno about Kaleido Star, except maybe in the main character's personality, however I'd say Sketchbook is a good comparison. I also suggest Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou if you're looking for anime of this kind, since it's generally considered the king of slow shows (and it is SLOOOOW)

Currently sort-of-watching Noir, just finished Someday's Dreamers which I am 100% sure Dagger and Des would love, and watching Tsukihime now. [/COLOR]

If you like the Tsukihime anime, you should try the game (there's a translation patch). The anime is quite enjoyable in its own right--and notable for being the first anime to be based on a doujin visual novel--but the game is much vaster in scope.

Can't remember... were you watching El Cazador? and/or have you seen Madlax? Noir is still my favorite out of the "trilogy" by a long shot, though I'd be hard-pressed to explain why in concrete terms.

@Des: Yay, another Aria fan!! Do you have a favorite undine? :catgirl:

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']If you like the Tsukihime anime, you should try the game (there's a translation patch). The anime is quite enjoyable in its own right--and notable for being the first anime to be based on a doujin visual novel--but the game is much vaster in scope.

Can't remember... were you watching El Cazador? and/or have you seen Madlax? Noir is still my favorite out of the "trilogy" by a long shot, though I'd be hard-pressed to explain why in concrete terms.

@Des: Yay, another Aria fan!! Do you have a favorite undine? :catgirl:

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I only ever got 2 eps into el C, bur from what I've seen of Noir, I don't like it much...

As for playing the Tsukihime game, well, last time I DLed A Drug that Makes You Dream, I found it isn't playable on a mac -_- I'll try to find a way to get it though.[/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Aria is similar to Kaleido Star in its basic scenario. Both Sora and Akari are relatively new to their trade and are trying to establish themselves. The supporting cast also shares similarities, right down to both of them having two close friends, the obligatory cute little girl, and a pet. Plus Aria's art style reminded me of Kaleido Star, and I recognized a couple of the voices even before comparing cast lists on ANN. So it's like Aria takes those things and combines them with the pacing and mood—and cats!—of Sketchbook.

I haven't really thought about which undine I like best, actually. Picking one on the spot, though, I think I have to go with Alice. (By the way, what's up with all the main characters having A names? I noticed Manabi Straight did the same thing with all M names, too....) I like the way she's calm and quiet but then never hesitates to tell the others they're being noisy.

Both me and one of my brothers got some good laughs out of how absurdly similar Madlax is to Noir when I was watching it and he'd hang around in my room to catch an episode here and there. It was still enjoyable but I, too, liked Noir more. Madlax (the character) was cool but Kirika and Chloe were moreso.[/color]

I like to think that Akari has the same kind of glorious pink-haired optimistic charisma as Sora.

Re: the A names, this is basically hearsay, but I've read in a couple of places that the manga-ka came across some kind of study that concluded that the "a" sound is the most soothing and chose the names for that reason.

@DB: Oh... yeah, if you have a Mac, you're probably outta luck. :animeswea

~Dagger~

[color=#4B0082]That actually sounds kind of plausible. I, at least, do tend to like the sound of A names, or at least ones that start with a short A sound. I ended up using A names for my first two Guild Wars characters and have had to stop myself from using more for other characters so I'd have some variety. :p

lolz @ DB for having a Mac.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]That actually sounds kind of plausible. I, at least, do tend to like the sound of A names, or at least ones that start with a short A sound. I ended up using A names for my first two Guild Wars characters and have had to stop myself from using more for other characters so I'd have some variety. :p

lolz @ DB for having a Mac.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I also have 2 PCs. But torrent on the mac.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I thought the Soul Society arc was the best of the anime so far, actually. At least for actual plot progression; the intro arc before that where everybody is basically just screwing around while characters are introduced was fun but not much happened.

Now, the Bounto (read: filler) arc after the Soul Society arc? [i]That's[/i] boring. The whole arc can basically be summed up in this one phrase: Vampires fight using dolls. And it's as bad as it sounds.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah, I quite enjoyed the Soul Society arc for the way it build up the characters and the plot, something which the Hueco Mundo arc is doing too. I skipped all the filler this time around, seeing as I didn't do it with Naruto and regretted it immensely, the whole idea of vampiric dolls... yeah, as bad as it sounds. [/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]Good choice. When I was going through the back episodes of Bleach the Bounto arc was only just nearing completion by the time I finished the Soul Society arc, so it was either that or drop the series until the filler ended. Unfortunately I decided to plow on through and ended up hating it pretty bad.

The Hueco Mundo arc is indeed much better, though. I've been enjoying it.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]The Hueco Mundo arc is indeed much better, though. I've been enjoying it.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Well, seeing as I've got up to date with the manga since Monday, I can safely say that there or rather there are a few good fights coming up in the Hueco Mundo arc which hopefully will be something to watch. [/SIZE]

Well I finished Lovely Complex and though I loved the ending, the very last episodes were almost tossed in there just to hit twenty four. Still over all I really enjoyed it so I'd certainly recommend it if you like romantic comedy's.

Now, when I have time I'm watching Hayate no Gotoku. Which is kind of a humorous show about a boy who ends up being the house butler for a spoiled rich girl. The only drawback... I'm to episode six and I'm already getting tired of the mean front she puts up when she actually cares. It's already losing it's charm in that respect. So I don't know if I'll finish it or not even though it does have it's really funny moments.

As for reading... I'm still not reading anything anime related right now. I just don't have time, especially with finals being next week. XP

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Abrief summary of the last few days

Got 12 eps into Honey and Clover, planning to finish it in a single day, only to discover that there were 12 more episodes than I had originally thought. However, this show is absolutely amazing. The dramatic and romantic elements are incredible, and the selective narative is perfect. The characters are all loveable and Morita-sempai IS GOD. *would go ga for him* not to mention the absolute hilarity. The twister game makes my top 3 Most Lol Scenes Ever list.

Watched 3 eps of Berserk and it was really cheesy. however, my recently aquired friend readvised me that i really should watch it, so I will later. This weekend I'm going to watch ALL of Eureka Seven. (That is, assuming I don't go '**** that, this is more important!' and finally watch Yamamoto Yohko live I've been saying I would for almost 2 god damn months)[/COLOR]