OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

After over a year, I've finally gone back to watching Sailor Moon SuperS. It's been so long that I just decided to start over from the beginning. On a whim, I pulled out the first volume this evening and ended up knocking back six episodes as if they were nothing. There's no looking back now. I'll post in the main Sailor Moon thread when I'm further along in the season.

~Dagger~

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Copypaste....

Oi. Just got done with the (long as ----) first episode of [B]Figure 17[/B] (does the title mean anything?) and I'm pretty intereted. I am reminded a little of [B]Lain[/B] with the personality of the main character, the way the show is very quiet and has an almost absolute focus on the main character, shows a lot of her walking around, and of course now she has her own alter-self not unlike Lain. Of course, I'm doubting this show goes in the same direction.

I was pleasantly surprised by the 3/3 of the episode. While I was enjoying it just fine throughout, the whole huge fight scene took me by surprise, but was highly welcome.

I really feel for the main character girl (forgive me for my horrible name-remembering skills). I've moved a great many times in my life, but usually managed to make friends. When I switched schools in third grade (and stayed there through the 1st half of 4th) I had the same situation where I made no friends and everyone picked on me. I can only imagine it's worse for her having only her crappy dad for family, whereas I had my brother and my mom as well.

Seeing as how I attempted suicide in third grade, I figure it's a miracle this girl is even alive (though I suppose 3 months hasn't been long enough to really sink in).

[B]EDIT[/B]: I'm glad to see that episode 2 picked up the pace a lot, and even though it still feels like watching 2 epiodes at once, this one didn't feel as long. Hikaru-chan is adorably awesome, though I might've had to smack her were she to rape my air like that, lol. I'm guessing that the system of 30min slice of life, 15 min action will continue, though with only 4 beasts and 11 episodes to go, I'm guessing a plot twist will be thrown into the midst somewhere alon the line. Overall, though, I'm enjoying the series, and for some reason I find myself doing the overbite thing that the girls do, lol.[/COLOR]

A little Darker Than Black here, a little Baccano! there...

I'm giving Shana one more shot; I'll dive into the first disc tomorrow, assuming Tales of the Abyss doesn't suck all my time away. I saw the first episode some time ago and--although I actually enjoyed it--was left feeling somewhat meh about the show's future.

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"] I'm guessing a plot twist will be thrown into the midst somewhere along the line.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
*says nothing*

~Dagger~

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I heard that [B]Shana[/B] sucked, so I never looked it up, but I also heard it was just like[B] Zero no Tsukaima[/B], which is pretty good, so I'm not sure.

Anywho, yesterday I blew the rest of my birhday money and walked away with...

[B]Air[/B] TV vol. 1 - though ADV obviously had no intent to do more than simply release the show, it's worth buying simply because... well... it's ----in [i]Air[/i]. Anywho, I wrote a DVD review of this or the news, so look for it next month.

[B]Ganktsuou[/B] vol. 1 + artbox - Absolutely amazing series which I'm completely hooked on. This is possibly my favorite artstyle ever, it blows me away. Between the Count and Peppo are some of the best characters I've seen in a while, and I simply can't wait to afford volume 2. Also, as usual, Geneon does an impressive job of providing intriguing extras.

[B]Gunslinger Girl[/B] vol. 2 - I still don't enjoy it quite as much as the manga, but it's interesting seeing some of the stories in a new light. I absoluely loved episode 9, which was all new material, even if I already figured out what plot-twist awaits. I gotta say, though, the suspenseful end of the episode is maddening.

[B]Texhnolyze[/B] vol. 1 - haven't watched yet, but I'm convinced that anything ABe must be good!

Manga:
[B]Petite Cossette[/B] vol. 1 - I'm 2 chapters in and it's so trippy that it's often confusing, but still undeniably cool and twisted. Oddly enough, I saw a preview of the anime on the Gankutsuou extras which may have convinced me that I'll need both versions of the story.

[B]Hayate the Combat Butler[/B] vol. 4 - YAY!!!!![/COLOR]

Right now I am watching the Black Cat TV series. My friend recently bought me the whole set at Anime Evolution and I just can't stop popping them in the DVD player :animeswea I have become just a little bit addicted and quite the Train fan.

As for what I am reading... Well it SHOULD be Black Cat, but sadly no store I went to today had volume 1. :animecry: So... I sunk to a horrible low and did something I vowed I would NEVER do... I bought Gravitation EX >< The saddest part... there are some things I really hate about it, but for the most part, I'm enjoying it ><. I have no idea why, the art's like... I dunno everyone looks younger and Shuichi looks like a little girl... but, I just can't stop looking. It's like a car crash.

[quote name='ShinigamiNoMiko']So... I sunk to a horrible low and did something I vowed I would NEVER do... I bought Gravitation EX >< The saddest part... there are some things I really hate about it, but for the most part, I'm enjoying it ><. I have no idea why, the art's like... I dunno everyone looks younger and Shuichi looks like a little girl... but, I just can't stop looking. It's like a car crash.[/QUOTE]
Ahaha, indeed. Rest assured that you have company. I caved a few months ago. By then I had decided that I'd stop caring about Gravi's quality--if I enjoy it, then I enjoy it, and there's nothing I can really do about that. At least it still makes me laugh. :animeswea

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Ahaha, indeed. Rest assured that you have company. I caved a few months ago. By then I had decided that I'd stop caring about Gravi's quality--if I enjoy it, then I enjoy it, and there's nothing I can really do about that. At least it still makes me laugh. :animeswea

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think I am going to have to be the same way as well. I don't like how whiny Yuki is, but over all it still makes me laugh and I am still a large Shuichi fan. I have come to enjoy it and there's nothing wrong with that in the long haul.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Just recently saw [B]Millenium Actress[/B] which is absolutely brilliant, as you may know. I've also decided to check out [B]Martian Successor Nadesico[/B], since it seems to be highly popular.

The show i'm most paying attention to is [B]Revolutionary Girl Utena[/B]. I love it so far - it's really got pretty much everything I look for in a show. It'll probably take me 3 eternities to finish the damn thing, though >_>

Anyway, you can se all that stuff more in-depth over at meh blog...

A show I picked up today on recommendation of a trusted opinion is [B]Neo-Ranga[/B], which is awesome. I only reached episode 7 because that's as many as I could illegally find, but it's a pretty damn cool show so far that really gets you hooked quickly.

It's a combination of so many genres - family drama, comedy, political, mecha, kaiju, and all blended into every 15-minute episode. It's more than a little spastic, but well-paced and always fun. The show never screws around - it's always right to-the-point and it uses an interesting method of not usually starting an episode in the same place as the last one ended.

If you wanna check it out, I'm told the thinpack is only 20 bucks at rightstuff...[/COLOR]

hehe Ive just finished my largest Harem binge in a looooooong time ahhhhhh.:p

Ai yori Aoishi, Onegai Teacher, Onegai Twins, and Summer OVA.

In about 4 days :animeknow

Right now im up to ep 113 of Naruto and ep 4 of Shuffle

Naruto is probably the most addictive thing i have discovered in my entire life hehe thats out of everything mot just anime. The characters are great, the serious and funny stuff is well balanced and so far has been an enjoyable watch.

The Onegai pair were great i havent laughed so much at an anime in along time (feels good to laugh).

[B]Perfect Blue[/B]
Well to start I didn't like this anime very much. I mean it was OK but wasn't worth all the hype it got. Now for someone who really like this sorta thing it would be amazing for them. I speak of course of the hardcore drama/suspense fan. This would make them pee themselves in glee. I could see how boogipop was influenced by this film which was neat.

[B]Vampire Hunter D[/B]
The story was rather weak but the plot twists were OK. Also the characters were pretty unique. The action was OK not quite as good as I hoped it would be though. Overall it was a good action anime but not as good as...

[B]Vampire hunter D:Bloodlust[/B]
WOW! This anime was amazing. The quality of the animation and the art style was above that of even a miyazaki flick.(Although those are generally overrated...).The story was lightyears ahead of the original. The only thing that wasn't improved was the Dub. But it was still a good dub.

[quote name='Avenged666fold'][B]Perfect Blue[/B]
Well to start I didn't like this anime very much. I mean it was OK but wasn't worth all the hype it got. Now for someone who really like this sorta thing it would be amazing for them. I speak of course of the hardcore drama/suspense fan. This would make them pee themselves in glee. I could see how boogipop was influenced by this film which was neat.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I fail even remotely to see how [B]boogiepop[/B] was influenced by that movie. You say it like all suspenseful horror is influenced by [B]Perfect Blue[/B] or some crap... Boogiepop was the sequel to the novel [B]Boogiepop and Others[/B], and a prequel to the second/third book. If it was influenced b anything, it would be the novels.

Guess I should expect misconceptions, though from someone who thinks Miyazaki is overrated :p [B]Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust[/B] was a pretty sweet movie though. The world of D is so massive and full of so many creatures, which is cool. I might still be reading it if the second novel weren't so inccreadibly godawful that I couldn't stomach it.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]I fail even remotely to see how [B]boogiepop[/B] was influenced by that movie. You say it like all suspenseful horror is influenced by [B]Perfect Blue[/B] or some crap... Boogiepop was the sequel to the novel [B]Boogiepop and Others[/B], and a prequel to the second/third book. If it was influenced b anything, it would be the novels.[/QUOTE]I could see it in the way it was paced. I should probably elaborate...The way the show reveals things to you. It is very similar to boogipop...at least to me it was. I dunno maybe I just think everything that is difficult to understand is the same. Whatever.

[QUOTE]Guess I should expect misconceptions, though from someone who thinks Miyazaki is overrated :p[/QUOTE] Not a misconception just a difference in opinion. I still think Miyazaki movies are good but not as good as some people claim they are.

[QUOTE][B]Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust[/B] was a pretty sweet movie though. The world of D is so massive and full of so many creatures, which is cool. I might still be reading it if the second novel weren't so incredibly godawful that I couldn't stomach it.[/QUOTE]I never read any of the novels. All I know is that the movies were both good.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']I could see it in the way it was paced. I should probably elaborate...The way the show reveals things to you. It is very similar to boogipop...at least to me it was. I dunno maybe I just think everything that is difficult to understand is the same. Whatever.

Not a misconception just a difference in opinion. I still think Miyazaki movies are good but not as good as some people claim they are.

I never read any of the novels. All I know is that the movies were both good.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]lulz, don't worry, I'm acually on your side about the [B]Miyazaki[/B] films. I lke them, but none are a favorite.

[B]Perfect Blue[/B] was confusing in an illogical way - it was trippy just for the sake of being trippy, and that's what I hate about it. [B]Boogiepop[/B] does everything in a way relating to the plot, and really isn't confusing at all - I can never undersand why people say it is. Probably just the vignette style...

The first [B]D [/B]movie is based on the first book, [B]Bloodlust[/B] is based on the third. The first one was fine enough (I have a review of it on theO i you'd like to check it out) but te second was unbarable. I'd easily rank it the stupidest trash I've ever read.[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]
[B]Perfect Blue[/B] was confusing in an illogical way - it was trippy just for the sake of being trippy, and that's what I hate about it. [B]Boogiepop[/B] does everything in a way relating to the plot, and really isn't confusing at all - I can never undersand why people say it is. Probably just the vignette style...

The first [B]D [/B]movie is based on the first book, [B]Bloodlust[/B] is based on the third. The first one was fine enough (I have a review of it on theO i you'd like to check it out) but te second was unbarable. I'd easily rank it the stupidest trash I've ever read.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

According to some fans of Perfect Blue the whole movie is a metaphor for how stars are treated. Which was not a topic I care much about. So it was meh for me.

I usually don't read anime related books. I have made an exception for .hack and that's it...those books are awesome by the way.

I personally think the best Miyazaki film was Castle Of castigliostro and that movie isn't better than some other epic anime movies.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Vampire Hunter D[/B] was a novel before it was an anime - in fact, the first novel was written in, like, the late eithies. Currently there are 17 or 18 novels I believe... all are pretty long too >_>

As for the [B].hack[/B] novels... well, I've got the 2 [B]A.I. Buster[/B] volumes. It's basically the same frikkin story seen over and over in everything else .hack, which was annoying, though not terrible. The second book was pretty pointless.

I only have the first of the [B]Another Birth[/B] volumes, not only because I've only played the first game (and am not far) but because I hate the writing style. If you don't know the game itself, it's hard to know what's going on...[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Vampire Hunter D[/B] was a novel before it was an anime - in fact, the first novel was written in, like, the late eithies. Currently there are 17 or 18 novels I believe... all are pretty long too >_>

As for the [B].hack[/B] novels... well, I've got the 2 [B]A.I. Buster[/B] volumes. It's basically the same frikkin story seen over and over in everything else .hack, which was annoying, though not terrible. The second book was pretty pointless.

I only have the first of the [B]Another Birth[/B] volumes, not only because I've only played the first game (and am not far) but because I hate the writing style. If you don't know the game itself, it's hard to know what's going on...[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I figured as much. It's still related to anime though.

The book explained a lot to me that I didn't understand in the actual anime.

I am about to watch petite Cosette tonight! I am psyched!

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]Well no new anime as of yet, but I am into a new manga, it's called Vampire Knight. Some of you may have heard of it, and if you have, you should know that it's pretty good. I know...it's a shojo manga, but I like it, so...shut up.:p[/SIZE][/FONT]

hmm, im reading MegaMan NT Warrior (if anyone else reads some of my posts u know i am obsessed!!!) horray for MMNTW....when in doubt, watch megaman!!! i don;t think tthat helps though....i also am reading Galaxy angel teo (fcouldn't live without that ^^. too intense and good to miss). and rozen maiden and maburaho (these are great desu). but's that only for the manga lol.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']I am about to watch petite Cosette tonight! I am psyched![/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I decided to mimic you.

Now... I was pretty sure I hadn't done any acid since last night, but now I'm starting to wonder. Either I am trippin balls or I just watched the first episode of petite cossette. Either way, I want some more! Ah, Shinbo, you never let me down, and neer cease to amaze me. And seeing as how this show is so short, it shouldn't be hard to collect either. I know Geneon's releasing it, but I don't know how much is out...[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I decided to mimic you.

Now... I was pretty sure I hadn't done any acid since last night, but now I'm starting to wonder. Either I am trippin balls or I just watched the first episode of petite cossette. Either way, I want some more! Ah, Shinbo, you never let me down, and neer cease to amaze me. And seeing as how this show is so short, it shouldn't be hard to collect either. I know Geneon's releasing it, but I don't know how much is out...[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Wait so the 111 minute OVA wasn't alll there is?(by the way I ended up skipping it in favor of a guild wars all nighter)

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Copied from m3h blowg.

[B]WARNING: If you?re cynical to the effect of anime on persons, you migt as well not read :p
WARNING 2: SPOILERS FOR HITOHIRA AND MANABI STRAIGHT
[/B]

So? to start, a couple days ago my brother and I marathoned Manabi Straight. I was initially watching this show when t was first being subbed, but I lost track around episode 8 and simply never got back to it. Little did I know how much timing would effect my perception of the show.

Anyone who?s watched both Manabi and Hitohira will immediatel draw parallels between the two. First of all, both are stories of a small group who wants to fight against all odds to keep their club alive. In a lot of ways, though, the stories are sort of opposite. In Manabi Straight, Mikan starts as the only member of the student council, but gradually she is surrounded by friends who help her push forward. In Hitohira, Mugi is dragged into an already existing tight group of friends for whom she must be the strong one.

Still, both of them are a similar journey of a shy girl who needs the help of her strong friends to keep their time alive, even if they know it won?t last. In Hitohira, every odd is against the club, and you can pretty much tell right off that [spoiler]there?s no chance in hell that they?re going to make it.[/spoiler] Similarly, in Manabi, the girls are fighting almost [spoiler]for a lost cause because they know that their school fair will be he last one and that their school is dying anyway, but they still push on.[/spoiler]

Both of these shows take an extra responsibility, though, in the end. These are no fairy tales, where the big event comes, everything is glamorous, and then the show ends. Nono, both of these shows feature the constant climb to the top of this mountain that is their utmost goal, and both also watch the characters as they climb down the other side - and at some points, tumble on their way down.

Hitohira probably does the better job of exploring this part of the journey, if only because it took a couple more episodes after the big event. After this whole long journey - this battle to preserve that one moment, all the growth that comes along with it, the intense struggle? when you?ve reached the pinaccle of your journey, what happens next? That?s the million dollar question. In Hitohira, there is a lot of drama put into [spoiler]Mugi?s last attempts to hold onto her time of happiness, and he wanting to stay with her senpai and the others who have to move on.[/spoiler] In Manabi, it?s more collective as we know that everyone will be [spoiler]moving on together, and Mikan is relieved of her stress much easier.[/spoiler] I think Mikan is simply a bit stronger than Mugi, though both are admirable in their conquest in the end.

The most important difference between the two, and the one that made me so happy to watch Manabi Straight later than Hitohira, is the ending. I don?t really know whether to call Hitohira?s ending a ?happy? or ?sad? ending. It?s simply a ?real? ending. At the end of Hitohira, [spoiler]Mugi is somewhat optimistic, only promising herself that one day she?l cross that bridge into the outside word as well. But we don?t really know what happens. In the end, all we know is that she will one day have to move on, but whether she does so successfully or not is left up in the air.[/spoler]

Meanwhile Manabi?s ending is much more [spoiler]fulfilling. We see everyone move on. We see them happily in their futures, and we see Mikan come back for a visit, and we know exactly how it goes for them. [/spoiler]I can?t tell you how thankful I was for this ending, though the night after watching this show, I had a complete breakdown and was bawling my head off ^^;; Hitohira had left me questioning my own future. Being a child about to go into 11th grade, I have a lot of questions about my future, and I?m terrified to have to walk out into the world. Hitohira was like a reflection of my own feelings in Mugi. I?m just like her - timid and not ready for what?s ahead. So seeing Manabi Straight [spoiler]bringing everyone into the future and showing that there really is a great time to be had, and that your life isn?t going to change to the point of destruction[/spoiler] was greatly appreciated.

I don?t really want to talk about myself to much here, but I have to say, Manabi Straight gives me a lot of confidence in my future, and really was a moving experience for someone in a position like my own. It?s really a shame that I don?t appreciate my school life more, and that the people around me aren?t like the characters in anime, lol.

If you haven?t seen either show, i think it?s best to watch Hitohira first. Hitohira is a more depressing series all around, whereas Manabi is constantly uplifting. If your like me, you?ll definitely appreciate the experience. [/COLOR]

Currently watching: Nothing. :animeswea

Currently reading: [b]Nanairo Sekai[/b] by Mizu Sahara (aka Sumomo Yumeka). Her English-released works are [url=http://www.amazon.com/Voices-Distant-Star-Hoshi-Koe/dp/1598165291/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/102-4768142-6212910?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188241667&sr=8-3][u]Voices of a Distant Star[/u][/url] (based on the OVA), [url=http://www.amazon.com/Day-I-Became-Butterfly-Yaoi/dp/156970869X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4768142-6212910?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188241708&sr=1-1][u]The Day I Became a Butterfly[/u][/url] (a mix of het, BL & possibly yuri stories), and [url=http://www.amazon.com/Same-Cell-Organism-Sumomo-Yumeka/dp/1569709262/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4768142-6212910?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188241761&sr=1-1][u]Same Cell Organism[/u][/url] (a BL anthology). Translations for Nanairo & some of her other unlicensed works are available online.

Nanairo Sekai is a series of unrelated stories centered around the themes of colors & the days of the week. The first is het & about high schoolers; the second is BL & about university students; the third is het & about middle schoolers.

Yumeka's strengths are her ethereal art and her stunning ability to create reader sympathy & evoke close-to-home emotions with a minimal number of pages. It's practically impossible not to identify with her characters' insecurities & longings.

Each story left me with a huge smile on my face, but the most skillfully done was probably the third. She absolutely nails the awkwardness & denial involved in young crushes.

~Dagger~

[B]Najica Blitz tactics 2-12[/B]

Someone buy these women some pants please... Seriously this has more fan service than anything I've seen. But besides the horrendous over usage of fan service it does have a good story with good characters and a good plot. I especially like Najica. Shes like the female anime James bond!

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Only 9 more eps of [B]Revolutionary Girl Utena[/B]! I swear to god, this show is [i]bat **** insane,[/i] but I'm loving every minute of it.

On the side, I've also picked up [B]Scrapped Princess[/B] since everyone and their grandma seems to love it, and I should probably hurry up and just watch [B]Nadesico[/B] already. [/COLOR]