OtakuBoards

Heavy Metal: A Head Banger's Discussion Thread

Justin

[QUOTE]I think Avenged should probably leave this discussion alone. Being that it is for metalheads( and you are self-admittedly not one), and here you are getting ill with people who understand the thing better than you...I think you should probably take a hike before you work yourself into a fit.[/QUOTE] I suppose so. I can't just like metal but I have to have a PH.D in it. Noooo thanks.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]This thread can't go one day wtiout saying everything sucks. This is the metal thread not the best metal ever only thread.

Than again, we have to have the best or it don't cut.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I don't have a problem with that. but being molested by sub genres is ****ing annoying. "It's not this it's that zomg n00b!" Getting harassed over adjectives. Not even my Spanish teacher gives me this much ****.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Prem, for ****s sake, pick a goddamn side. You either do or don't want to take this seriously, don't ****ing follow the whim of any word of displeasement you hear. ****ing choose, right now, if you are A. going to try to learn or B. going to be a dildo all day long. This is a FORUM. You post in TOPICS you don't post off-topic and posting non-metal in a ****ing metal thread is OFF-TOPIC.

As for you avenged, welcome to the ****ing internet. If you think metal is the only thing with a league of pretentious ****s then you haven't looked around enough.

*fed up*[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Olive"]
I've just heard the worst metal band I've ever heard. Brick Bath? Ugh, like shoving death into your ears. These guys sound like their choking on frogs. They sound worse than badns like Bullet for My Valentine. BFMV is possibly the most annoying and dumbest of the metalcore groups. I bought their album, sadly, and it sucks. I should burn the CD in holy water than throw it into the ocean.God. Awful screaming, horrible skills. And what's worse is tons of kids think they rock. Awful **** if you ask me.

Trivium is better for christ sakes!

Whew, thank god soemthing better is on. Droid's Fueled by hate is a sigh of rilief for me.
[/COLOR]

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]Tehy keep telling me I shouldn't post, and quite frankly, I'm sick of it. In these threads, we either have knowledge or we don't know ****. I've kept this down long enough, but when somone posts a band you shouldn't go on tangents about how wrong someone is. This is the metal thread, so metal counts. Stop throwing genres at us like rocks. And how about just explaining the genre's to us instead of telling us whcih it really is. We're still confused. Put a link to something that discribes the genres, or don't go off on how we are wrong.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]So, did you somehow loose your eyesight when Jake posted the link to the metal sight and I even reposted it by the next page? Were you blind that day? And if you think a band sucks, you have every right to say they suck. That's the whole point of forums!!![/COLOR]

[quote name='Revolver']

[COLOR="Olive"]What, do you own the place or something? I'll post if I ****ing feel lke it. If you don't like it, tough ****.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Nope, but you sure as hell could clean up your act and actually post something worthwhile/relevant that doesn't contradict everything else you said before or make you look like a fool (see statement about sweep picking above).[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#606060]I think the point here is that everybody needs to remember some mutual respect. Some of you definitely know a lot more about the subject than others - this happens all the time (it happens frequently in Hardwired for instance).

If you want to educate the casual fans, I'm sure there's a way to do it without getting too flustered (Jake is usually pretty clear and concise with what he says: kudos to him for that).

If it's a real worry, then maybe we need one thread for hardcore fans and one for casual fans who don't want to get engaged in a genre debate.

I personally know nothing about the subject but I've enjoyed reading some of the posts here - they have been pretty enlightening. :catgirl:[/color]

[font=arial][size=1]James, I honestly tried to be respectful to this kid, and it does not work. I'm sorry, but I honestly feel the need to do this to salvage what's left of the music community of OB, so we can have a decent conversation that is actually on topic. If you would like to PM me about my plea or whatever, I'm all ears/eyes, whatever.

Revolver, I thought for a moment that I could actually respect you, but that went completely out of the window. I think I'm on the same page as everyone else when I say this, get the **** out of this thread.

I really don't care if people come in with what their idea of metal is and it's completely wrong. That's okay with me. People are supposed to actually learn from their mistakes and apply it so that they don't make that mistake. You refuse to admit you've made one, over and over. You know nothing about the difference between what metal is and isn't, nor do you have any respect for music to begin with. I mentioned in my first PM to you that I felt that you genuinely liked music and liked to talk about it with us. I guess I was wrong. You only seem interested in annoying us and sabotaging an otherwise enlightening conversation.

We're all clearly frustrated. I tried doing my part last night and I'm just fed up with this.

[img]http://rebelrockrunners.org/gallery/d/15309-2/ban_him.jpg[/img][/font][/size]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]

[img]http://rebelrockrunners.org/gallery/d/15309-2/ban_him.jpg[/img][/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[B]QED[/B]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]I've also tried, but it isn't working. I've tried to be nice, funny, a dick, sit in silent astoundment, but nothing happens. Naps the Cat had two spammy posts while Revolver has ten million times the number of spammy posts with half of the sense that Naps's had. He just trails 2007DB and spits half-coherent batshit everywhere, and people are pretty much tired of it.

Anyway, metal.

I only kinda want Jake's opinion on this, but do you think the "devil horns" (e-translation= \m/) is still relevant in today's scene? [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#606060]Look, the bottom line here is pretty simple. If you don't want to have a discussion with Revolver, don't. Address/quote whom you want and don't respond to Revolver is he's annoying you.

At this stage most people are keeping out of the personal attacks and stuff, which is good. Let's try not to get to that point.

There's always someone in a thread like this who isn't as knowledgable as the other members - so you can either ignore that person and talk with whoever you want [i]or[/i] you can just engage in both discussions.

At the moment I don't really see much of a problem, other than some pretty significant differences of opinion.

Let's just try to remain calm over something that isn't all that important anyway. As I said, if worst comes to worst, you simply don't have to talk to Revolver if you don't want to. But it isn't really fair to exclude him just because he might be a bit ignorant about the subject.

Also, his posts aren't spam - the most you could say is that they are uninformed. Having an uninformed view about something doesn't mean you are spamming. And it shouldn't attract any personal criticism.

Anyway, yeah, I guess the overall message here is [i]play nice[/i]. There's really no excuse not to. :catgirl:[/color]

[quote name='Whoa, Mann'][COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"]Yeah, man. Those vocals have some special name...gutter..something. Comes from your gut. :D The drums are like...Yeah. YEAH. YES! And then...the techno bits are bit...off, but it's all good. Glad you like it.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

You do realize those are [I]computerized drums[/I], right?

And this thread is about metal, so let's keep it to metal bands, okay?

[B]Revolver[/B], we're not saying the bands you bring up suck because we hate everything. It's because you're in the [I]metal[/I] thread and trying to discuss [I]non-metal[/I] bands. That's all.

[B]Avenged666fold[/B], it confuses me as to why you're so opposed to learning anything about the music you supposedly enjoy. I know this may be difficult to accept, but knowing a little bit about metal isn't necessarily a bad thing.

[B]DigitalBoy[/B], did you watch that DragonFarce greatist hits video? You cannot watch it and say their songs have variety. And you have no idea how much credibility you've lost. Rhapsody, while cheesy, is theoretically top-notch (but that's only if you're actually paying attention to the way the music is written, which according to most people on this apparently doesn't matter at all because genres are stoopid an git in teh way of teh musik!!1!).

This thread is making me sad.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Jake, I don't need to see a video, because I've heard all of their albums several hundred times. And anyway, it's not like I said i didn't like Rhapsody at all, they just aren't really my forte. There were some elements of their music I really liked - great choruses, great vocals, and some really epic moments. Some of the theatrics, though, were lost on me. As well, the last of te songs I listened to was really boring, so I didn't feel like listening to any more.

The reason I love Dragonforce is that I find it impossible to listen to them and not feel completely empowered and full of fighting spirit. I don't know if you play video games at all, but it's like playing an RPG with a really generic storyline but a great combat system that keeps you playing. [/COLOR]

Listen to Rhapsody without watching their music videos. They're famous for their stupid, boring videos. But the music itself is brilliant - complex song structures, advanced chord progressions, magnificent vocal harmonies, etc. etc.

Listen to Blind Guardian, too. It's better than Rhapsody, in my opinion, and of course (as is the case with pretty much every real power metal band) they're WORLDS better than DragonFarce. Blind Guardian's latest album is lame, but anything off of A Night at the Opera or Nightfall in Middle Earth is incredible. Plus they have the best choruses and coolest vocal harmonies out of any power metal band in the book.

And that video you refuse to watch plays a bunch of DragonFarce choruses back to back - they're all in the same key, same tempo, have the same drum beat, and even have basically the same lyrics. You barely even notice the song is changing. It's absolutely pathetic.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Blind Guardian is - infinitely - better than Rhapsody. And yeah, Dragonforce. So far I've only heard 4 songs from Imaginations From the Other Side and I've been blown away by all of them. This is theatrics done right, and some amazing power set to it all. A Past and Future Secret and The Script for my Requiem are both amazing and the latter beautifully intense. I think the only reason I hadn't liked them before is because I'd only heard songs from their last album, which you said sucked anyway, lol.

Yes, definitely 'the Good Stuff'. Still not as great as Ensiferum IMO but maybe after I hear some of the stuff from the albums you mentioned I'll change my mind. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Olive"][QUOTE]Listen to Rhapsody without watching their music videos. [B]They're famous for their stupid, boring videos.[/B] But the music itself is brilliant - complex song structures, advanced chord progressions, magnificent vocal harmonies, etc. etc.[/QUOTE]

When I listened to Dawn of Victory I couldn't stand the video. So I went onto the school's word and wrote crap to pass the time. But yeah, Rhapsody is amazing nonetheless. I saw that video featuring the guy from Lord of the Rings (lee somehing) and I absolutely hated the video, and I didn't want to wait for the music to kick in. I stopped when he was talking about something I completely forgot.

As for Blind guardian being better, I don't have anything to say because I haven't heard much of Blind Guardian.

[QUOTE][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The reason I love Dragonforce is that I find it impossible to listen to them and not feel completely empowered and full of fighting spirit.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I felt the same way when I heard them the first time. But I felt more along the lines of that power that you know is weaker than it appears to be. But DragonForce should be for those who want to hear that genre the for the first time.

Cattle Decapitation's Karma.Bloody./Karma is an awesome song IMO. Songs like this are what make me enjoy metal most. I feel a rush of strength with thwm. I also like Throwdown. The vocals were, meh, but I liked the playing.

EDIT: Killswitch Engage's cover of Holy Driver is just great. For a metalcore band, they pulled it off. I loved the video to it. I've never heard the original at all, but I'd love to now. At first I thought it was just a different metal band I've never heard before. I was surprised that Killswitch did that.

P.S: is there a melodic metalcore genre by chance? Cause I'd put them under that catagory. Unless they're still metalcore, sorry if I'm wrong.

EDIT 2: There, an on-topic post, instead of my constant disrepectful smut. God damn, I'm the biggest dick ever.[/color]

Well, [B]DigitalBoy[/B], it warms my heart to know you loved Blind Guardian! You're not even listening to their best albums, either! You may also like Demons & Wizards. It's a band formed by the guitarist of Iced Earth and the vocalist of Blind Guardian. They're not quite as good as either, but still a fun listen.

I'm not sure what Blind Guardian has to do with Ensiferum, though...

And I still say that Wintersun is the best power metal band (yes, power metal can have harsh vocals, so don't even start).

[B]Revolver[/B], I need to stress, again, that Grindcore and Hardcore are NOT genres of metal. They are genres of Punk, and therefore do not belong in this thread. I do appreciate your effort of an on-topic post, however, and I'm sure your mistake was simply a misunderstanding.

Also, almost all metalcore is very melodic, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there...

Dragonforce has awesome instrumentals but the vocals are just ugh for me. That's why I find it hard to listen to them. It's sorta like that with old Avenged Sevenfold albums too for me. The vocals are just ugh but the other instruments are great. that's why I like their new albums but that doesn't count as metal so bleh.

What are you guys opinions on Meshuggah? I just recently started listening to them and I think they sound pretty awesome. The vocals aren't trash which is a major plus and I love how they mesh the guitar and bass to sound uh awesome.

Oh yea can someone name a good Folk Metal band? I haven't heard anything that I didn't think was terrible yet. Although all I have listened to is Finntrol(sp?)l.

Hmm why was I dissing Death metal before. Oh yea that's right whenever I think of death metal I think of Cannibal Corpse. I guess I had a mind fart and thought one terrible band was a whole genre. Woopsies. I apologize profusely. And I insulted Doom metal too. I ****ing like doom metal. I must have been having a really ****** day.

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]EDIT: Killswitch Engage's cover of Holy Driver is just great. For a metalcore band, they pulled it off. I loved the video to it. I've never heard the original at all, but I'd love to now. At first I thought it was just a different metal band I've never heard before. I was surprised that Killswitch did that.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]No. Just no. Holy Diver is one of my favorite songs ever. Killswitch makes me weep big metallic tears.

Also, Avenged WARNING: Jake hates Messhuga with a burning passion. Expect rant. [/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]No. Just no. Holy Diver is one of my favorite songs ever. Killswitch makes me weep big metallic tears.

Also, Avenged WARNING: Jake hates Messhuga with a burning passion. Expect rant. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Meh I figured as much. You know they were an influence of tool? Anyone on topic.

I just looked up an Amon Amarth song. It's pretty good. Don't like the vocals all that much but it fits with the overall badassery.

@ Jake: I think You recommend Amon Amarth to me a long time in another metal thread.

Oh yea and Holy Diver by killswitch=phail. Actually I don't recall liking any of their songs. I just think it's awesome they have a black lead singer.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Amon Amarth are definitely amazing, and I can tell just from watching them that their live performances are absolutely brilliant. My personal favorite song of those I've head is Cry of the Black Birds, which my friend and I break into at random times. The vocals are amazing - possibly the best death metal growls of all time.

Listening to Blind Guardian now since most of A Night at the Opera is on youtube. This is probably the most epic **** I've ever heard. This is more epic than watching the third Lord of the Rings movie while reading Call of Cthulu. It's simply amazing. It is more powerful than anything - it's like listening to a symphony. The current song, And Then There Was Silence, blows me away. It's more epic than Beating God of War 2 and listening to 2112. It's truly, unequivocally epic. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE]It's more epic than Beating God of War 2 and listening to 2112.[/QUOTE]Tis blasphemy! NOTHING is more epic than listening to 2112. I am listening to some song from them and they are OK I guess. Sorta like rush but harder and with slightly better vocals.

[COLOR="Olive"]Yeah, Amon Amarth is very good. Wait scratch that, excellent. Actually if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be interested in their genre as much.

I think we should ave a sticky explaining the different sub-genres fo all music that way we can understand what we're getting into. What Jake said about Hardcore and Grindcore could be avoided a lot beter. In fact my dumbassyness ould well eba voided.

[COLOR="olive"][QUOTE]I've heard a bit of Meshugga. I'm not impressed, however. But they are good at what they do, just not my kind of band.[/QUOTE]

I'm just getting even dumber. Mushugga sucks ***, I'm lucky I only cought thw last 10 seconds of one of their songs.[/COLOR][/COLOR]