OtakuBoards

The Extreme/Heavy Music That Isn't Metal Thread!

Jakehammaren

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE]TRJA is definitely the worst band I have heard in a while.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="77656"]They aren't unique at all. They're like Boys Like Girls, the band is generic crappy and mislead teenage girls thirve on them like leeches to a human. Lately the genre that TRJA and BLG are in has been starting to suck. A lot.

[QUOTE]I hate every single one of those bands. They have no musical value beyond the realm of ****-tastic pop rock, and you should tell the Librarian that TRJA isn't metal, either.[/QUOTE]

That furthers my point. this librarian person is probably just a mislead teneage girl.

[QUOTE]Some Kid (ahahahaa) says:
Once again another emo band whining about how terrible life is. We don't want to hear it!!! Keep it to yourselves, you wimps. Why do emo bands exist to begin with. They write about how messed up their life is when basically everybodies life is messed up. We've all got problems. But we don't have to put it in music so the rest of the world has to listen to it. SHUT UP!!![/QUOTE]

This guy should get lessons. Music is a way to express sorrow and emotion.[/color]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Post-hardcore is my most-hated genre. It's sickening, even more than me.

And Gallows, is one of my favorite bands as of right now. They're very innovative, with the hardcore-punk sound mixed in with a few (real) screamo-esque and post-mathcore (they sound like some of they're bits come from Fear Before, such as the song "Just Because You Sleep Next to me...") as well as...metalcore, but thank God, for the most part, they keep it Hardcore.

Good music to listen to when you want to feel bad to the bone, and be angry for no reason. Not really, but whatever. They have the real rock-and-roll sound. Another Warped tour band, this one though, is actually worth going to the tour to see, unlike the rest of the Warped tour which is filled with scenexcore. I'm glad Orchestra of Wolves came to USA, when it did, I got it, and I still love it. It's kind of sad that they've already made a statement about when they're going to break up...

At least try to keep this genre alive. Some of the members better start up some other projects while the singers goes off to be a tattoo-artist. Bleh.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Metalcore is not the bane of all existence. Me and Jake harp on it a lot because of the fact that the metalcore that is popular now is more than just metalcore. It's faux metal. It's metalcore with a true metal aesthetic; thrift store music with a designer tag.

The Gallows isn't that original, on a full timeline of aggressive music. They are, however, the best hardcore punk band since Minor Threat. That said, it's been a [i]long[/i] time since hardcore saw a band as good as the Gallows.

What you're hearing as screamo isn't screamo. That's what hardcore is supposed to sound like. What you're hearing as metalcore isn't metalcore. That's what hardcore is supposed to sound like.

That 'rock-and-roll' sound comes from their immediate relation to punk, and their two-steps-away relationship to rock-born metal bands like Motorhead and metal-born rock bands like AC/DC.

The Gallows do hardcore right.

-Justin

Man I really hate when bands have one SUPER AWESOME song and then the rest of their stuff is average or poor.
[B]
Examples[/B]

[B]
Green Jello-Three Litle Pigs[/B]

Great song in my opinion...but all the other stuff from them is boring to me...

[B]Motograter-Red[/B]

One of my favorite songs...but it's the only one that iv'e heard from them that sounds like that...the rest of it sounds like boring old 3 days gracish kinda stuff(they have a few good songs to but one-x was crap).

Oh yea and Prem Sorrow is an emotion...

Also music doesn't just have one purpose...you can use it for many different things.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Yes, we know, Justin. Metalcore is a bad genre, by now. Yes we are aware. =]

But there are a few other good "hardcore" bands beside Gallows, considering that Gallows is just a mainstream band. I think you should try Gospel, and Hot Cross. Those are the two that stick out on the top of my head right now, though Gospel has a mix-up of alot of post-rock as well.

And I'd like to correct myself, on that whole post-hardcore thing. Pop-post-hardcore bands are the reason why I hate it so much, after all, I was completely forgetting the good post-hardcore bands, which Gallows would probably fit in well with, like Fear Before, Iwouldetc (though that is only one of the genres they have to their name), The Blood Brothers, etc.

Gallows is good. Others are better, but Gallows has good song writing-skills, and different and very evident song-style changes, while keeping within the punk genre. Not scenecore, but mainstream, surprising for a british band.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE]Fair to the Midland is Metal? Doesn't sound like it to me...but to be fair I have only heard one song. [/QUOTE]

[COLOR="77656"]This is a quote by Avenged666fold from the metal thrad. But I'd htought I'd bring something to his attention here.

Fair to Midland is an art rock/alt metal band from Texas. They were unsigned for two albums they provided for themselves. THe Carbon Copy Silver Lining and Inter.Funda.Stiffle were their first two albums. Then they realeased the Drawn and Quartered EP, which featured Dance of the Manatee.

Their latest album, Fables from the Mayfly: What I tell you Three Times is True, is an album I'm getting tomorrow. Now the songs I've heard are Dance of the Manatee, Tall Tales Tate Like Sour Grapes, Walls of Jericho and April Fools and Eggmen. Now FTM isn't jsut some generic suit. They are a great bad with amazing music. All 4 songs are simply amazing.

If you have flash playe, java and a good, fast conection listen to the playlist in this link. Listen to Walls of Jericho Tall tlaes like Sour Grapes and April Fools and Eggmn a you will see what I mean. LINK: [URL="http://www.projectplaylist.com/standalone/19566143"]PLaylist[/URL]

The 3 songs are the playlist, look around for them. Two ofthem are on the very bottom of the list. Beofre Mighty Moshin Emo Rangers. (Don't ask)

Tell what you think if you listen to them. And if you want I have some other hsit if you want to listen.[/COLOR]

Lulz I heard of them by checking out Serj Tankians myspace. Apparently that is what he is listening to now. I have only liked Walls of Jericho so far. To be fair I have only heard 3 songs from them. They have really nice melodies and can make a nice atmosphere. Almost similar to Vivaldi(a classical musician).

Man someone SERIOUSLY needs to listen to Dog fashion Disco(I'm talking to you Prem). They are probably the most innovative rock band Ive heard since tool...

they do this one thing during one of their songs where they sorta sound like metalcore but with carnie music in the background and the lead signer starts signing like a crazy man(sorta sounds like Serj minus the accent).

[COLOR="77656"]Eh, I'm searching for more metal these days. And Tool inavative... **** yeah. My grandma got me 10,000 Days for Chirstmas. BTW, Cuntry Boner is a funny *** song. Ouscifer and A Perfect Circle are awesome. Imagine was a great song.

Dog Fashion Disco? I have the vague feeling iv'e heard them...[/COLOR]

Well they are Hard just not necessarily metal. They don't fit the currently existing genres. Wiki says they are Avant Garde metal buuuut well you know that wiki is wrong most of the time. If I were to classify them I would call them Industrial/Art Hard Rock. They use wacky *** instruments and use common instruments weird. You gotta check em out. Anyway Tool is sex. !0,000 days although not all the Tool fans like it I love it. Vicarious is probably one of my favorite songs. It's so intense. It took parts that I liked from disghutipated added some other awesome stuff and then put it in my ear. Jambi is probably my favorite song. Probably the closest Tool will ever have to a "love" song.

[COLOR="77656"]Actually sometimes wiki is right. I actually look up artists ont ehre to find good reviews. Sorta avant-garde.

Vicarious and Jambi are awesome. I remember the first album's Prison Sex. they grew up fast between the other albums. There is a big difference. On Lateralus the big stand-outs for me are Parabol & Parabola. Maynard's voice doesn't change much, but it has power in it. Ticks & Leeches is a prime example of his voice and it's just a good song. I also love Faaip De Oiad. The sounds and eeriness are just awesome.

I had a student teacher who said he got creeped out listening to Lateralus, and I don't blame him. I used to hate Tool, that was until I heard Schism, which got me interested, and I'm glad I bought the album. Wal*Mart was useful afterall.[/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1]Dude, Prem, it looks like you found a pop-rock band, good job. >_>

Art rock refers to a progressive rock movement that started in the 70's in England. It has nothing to do with lyrics or performance. Bands that are called art rock now are usually progressive or math rock bands.

I mean, what I heard of Fair to Midland is okay, the vocals don't fit well to me, for some reason, I think they're too loud in the mix. And also, there's band that is called Hum that did a similar thing in the 90's... BUT BETTER. The electronic melodies, not so much, but the jangly guitar in verses to distorted guitar in choruses? Covered. I don't know if I'd consider either Hum or FTM to be extreme/heavy, but you started it![/font][/size]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I don't like 10,000 Days. It's just not a great album. The music isn't bad, technically, it just isn't good to listen to. i only ever listen to it by forcing myself. Lateralus is fantastic, Aenima is great, and Undertow isn't bad, but 10000 Days is totally meh.

Fair to Midland - heard one song, it sucked hard. A Perfect Circle sucks too, haven't givven Puscifier a chance yet but I don't really care to. Mostly, I've been listening to all tha bands who are connected to A Sound of Animals fighting since they are all quite awesome. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="77656"]Face, I agree that the vocals don't exactly fit. I mean, the guys voice is good, but sometimes it just doesn't add up. That's the case with Dance of the Manatee. But my favorite song is tall tales Taste Like Sour Grapes, the vocals fit better with this song. As for FTM being heavy, that's up for debate I guess, but they are a little bit heavey. But that is moslty in the screamish part of Dance of the Manatee. BTW the new album Fables form a Mayfly, is technically Inter.Fundle.Stiffle, but redone.

[QUOTE]heard one song, it sucked hard[/QUOTE]

Most likely Dance of the Manatee, the song has receives some air play. The only other thing I know is that they are signed to Serjical Strike records, and that's it. Lyrically, I like them.

[QUOTE]A Sound of Animals fighting[/QUOTE]

I've yet to hear a song from them. But I've heard from you that they're awesome.

oh, I forgot abut Cattle Decapitation. they're a great gridcore band. But I wouldn't by an album. HTe latest one s recieved as one of the best CD's from Cattle Decapitation, but it only clockes about 46 minutes. I like long albums htat hita bout 5o minutes However, really close to metal, but they are grindcore.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]I don't like 10,000 Days. It's just not a great album. The music isn't bad, technically, it just isn't good to listen to. i only ever listen to it by forcing myself. Lateralus is fantastic, Aenima is great, and Undertow isn't bad, but 10000 Days is totally meh.[/QUOTE]
Why do you think it' meh? Beacause it sounds different?
[QUOTE]A Perfect Circle sucks too[/QUOTE]
Because? I their amazing and they have sold a lot of albums...
[QUOTE]
haven't givven Puscifier a chance yet but I don't really care to[/QUOTE]
They sounds like NIN mixed with Tool so yeaaah.

[QUOTE]
. Mostly, I've been listening to all tha bands who are connected to A Sound of Animals fighting since they are all quite awesome. [/QUOTE]Huh?

[COLOR="77656"]What does Tool and Fair to Midland have in common? David Botrill! He has produced an album from both band and tool. And yes, this was from reliable source. I bought the CD from FTM and it's better than the singles. Songs like Vie/Versa Upgrade^Brigade are pure bliss. I'm not going to review the whole thing yet, but it is an amazing album.

EDIT Oh ****, screw it I'm going to review it

Dance of the Manatee - The first single I heard. The version I'm familiar with is from the Drawn and Quartered EP. This is hardly the best song, it is know my 2nd least favorite. This song has beautiful lyrics, even though the vocals don't fit well. But the video is an amazing thing, it is artsy, and beautiful. As is all the art on the album booklet. It may be one of my least favorites, but it still has it's perks. 7.3

Kyla Cries Cologne - An amazing song with what sounds like a piano drilling into the background. Unlike the first track, the vocals blend in well. This song sort of proves that FTM is an amazing band.

[quote name='Artist Direct Bio of FTM']Creatively speaking, the salad days are indeed behind them: With mega-producer David Bottrill (Tool, King Crimson) behind the boards for their forthcoming Serjical Strike debut album, Fair to Midland are poised to turn rock music on its ear in 2007. And when you take a look across the major-label landscape -- from the postmodern prog rock of the Mars Volta and Tool to the chart-topping success of Serj Tankian's own boundary-smashing art-metal powerhouse -- it's not hard to imagine Fair to Midland carving out their own plot of land amid these giants. [/quote]

It is true, FTM could become great, this album proves it. And this song strengthens that point. 8.9

Vice/Versa - This is one of my favorite songs on the album. The lyrics and the vocals are mind bending in this track. The chorus is loud and the other verses are spectacular. Darroh Sudderth has an amazing voice, as well as an amazing growl that is in this song. this song starts to let the album progress more into the main genre that FTM is in. Progressive rock, **** I love the genre, and this enhances my music experience. 9.3

The Wife, the kids and the white Picket Fence - As stated in a review from AMG, this song is the real progressive-rock song on here. And I agree with whoever wrote it. The drumbeat is catchy and the pitch Darroh can reach is beautiful. Claudio Sanchez and this guy are my vocalists. "While between you and me from point A to point B is a fine line," has to be the best sung line in this song. But right before it you still get great lyrics. I cans see why Serj signed these guys to his label. But even when they were underground, they got good cred. This song feels like you're in an ocean when you hear it. The water in the ocean is beautiful but it can rage out and swoop you away. - 9.3

April Fools & Eggmen - This song has a lot of poppy values , and hard rock values. That is what I liked about Co&Ca's songs on GAIBS4, it had some poppy sounds but mind bending guitar playing. 8.7

A Seafarer's Knot - The intro of this songs is very heavy, and very awesome. The lyrics are yet again, beautiful. The rhythm is played well in this tune, and it has a great beat. - 8.3

A Wolf Descends Upon the Spanish Sahara - This song is another beautiful song, I say this a lot about this album.And I mean it BTW. This song is a pulsing song, with great lyrics and vocals again.What's bes about this song is the last minute or so. It goes to a very soft, slow and light verse into the chorus with great ferocity. This song was my least favorite at first, but I gave it a second chance, and it was much better. 9

Walls of Jericho - This song has a little techno-robotic sound. Form both the sympathizer and Darroh. This is a nother song that shows how high his voice can reach, and how far it's greatness gets. The lyrics remind me of the show Jericho as well. 8.4

Tall tales Taste like Sour Grapes - The second single as well as the second song I heard from FTM. This song is my 2nd favorite song on here. I'm not going to reveal number 1 though, because I can't decide which song it is! But this song is not at all like a sour grape. It's a sweet one, and a great one with a beautiful sound emanating from the recesses of the album. 9.7

Upgrade^Brigade - A great song and quite possibly the best one on this album. The guitar rages,a nd the vocals are amazing. The distortion makes this song great. If these songs are just redoes of older FTM songs, I'd love to hear the previous one. 9.8[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Hate to change up the subject about these bands I havn't heard of, and about the numerous genres like Art Rock..

Anyone like punk bands like SSD or Die Kreuzen? (I wrote a longer post explaining this crap, that was more educated...but wouldn't you know my friend hit the back button in a moment of rawr)

All I ever see is posts about Black Flag, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedies or the Misfits, no offense. So, anyone heard of any other good punk bands?

DYS
SSD
Die Kruezen
Gang Green
Jerry's Kids
etc. etc. etc.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[font=arial][size=1]Moss Icon, Rites of Spring, Embrace, and (early) Antioch Arrow are definitely worth checking out if you want to hear some good punk music. The first two pretty much started the emo genre, Embrace is more along the lines of Minor Threat and Black Flag, and Antioch Arrow was kind of how Daughters currently is in the sense that they play really spastic music but their vocalist only gets harsh in like two songs. AA were late 80's/early 90's though.[/font][/size]

[COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"]Rites of Spring is an awesome band. Can't remember when I first heard them... I think maybe on a documentary about hardcore, or something. I havn't really checked them out, though, and I havn't remembered to look them up until now. Thanks Face. :]

I've heard of Moss Icon, and Embrace on numerous genre-whore lists, never checked out either. Kind of lazy when it comes to checking out bands..

Anyway. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...