OtakuBoards

The Extreme/Heavy Music That Isn't Metal Thread!

Jakehammaren

Alright, people keep bringing up NON-METAL bands in the metal thread, and it's getting a bit tiresome.

So, here is the thread for you to talk about hardcore, metalcore, nu-metal, screamo, alternative rock, hard rock, industrial, etc. etc.

The point of this is to keep the non-metal discussions out of the metal thread, so DON'T POST THE SAME BANDS YOU POST HERE IN THE METAL THREAD TOO!

Cheers.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR="Olive"]Yes, a new place to post at. I was running out of metal bands I knew. ^^;;

So first and foremost, I will go on about Alternative-metal. It's one of my favorite genres. It has a ghost of metal, but it sides more with hard rock. Fair to Midland is one of my favorite alt-metal bands. Even though they are partly art-rock, which is an added bonus. My favorite songs from them are dance of the Manatee and Tall Tales Taste Like Sour Grapes.

Breaking Benjamin is another band that I appreciate more. They put on a great show, and they have good music. sadly, i've been lstening to them less. don't have Saturate, butI do;'t plan on getting it eanymroe. They're just not my favorite.

My favorite is however, Coheed and Cambria. They are just amazing. I own all three albums, and I'm syked to get No World for Tommorow. the Second Stage Turbine Blade is my least favorite, but Delirium Trigger is my favorite Co&Ca song. My av album would be Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Volume I. Welcome Home, the Suffering, The Willing Well's II, III, IV and Apollo I: The Writing Writer.
[/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"]Woohoo! I've yet to listen to an extreme/heavy band that I haven't enjoyed. <3

This general genre of music, a long with the punk family, is pretty much my favorite. As I said, I've never listened to a band of this sort and didn't like them. Ever.

I don't have much of it, though, which is quite unfortunate. I only have Norma Jean's [B]Bless the Martyr, Kiss the Child[/B] and most of As I Lay Dying's [B]Frail Words Collapse.[/B]

There are a TON of e/h (which obviously isn't a real genre but I don't know what else encompasses all of these bands in a nutshell) bands around here. The one I've listened to the most is [U][URL="http://www.myspace.com/mourningwaitsfl"]Mourning Waits[/URL][/U], who claim to be a Christian screamo band, influenced by Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, Haste the Day, The Devil Wears Prada, etc.. My favorite song of theirs is probably "This Too Shall Pass," but they've added a couple of songs since I last really listened to them.

Oh yeah, Sick of it All is a great band that's this kind of music fused with punk, which is basically the greatest thing ever. I only have one song of theirs, unfortunately, but I saw them open for AFI in February and they were amazing. They had tons of energy, and the singer organized a wall of death during one of their songs (which I wasn't a part of, because I probably would have gotten knocked out or something, which would have been the worst thing that could possibly happen before AFI came on). Sirius Hard Attack, the XM "metal" channel played "Take the Night Off" once, but that station also plays the likes of Korn and Slipknot. (Neither of whom I like very much).[/FONT]

An opportunity to ramble on about slipknot? Oh goody. Thanks Jake.(prepared to agitated!).

Slipknot is my favorite Nu-Metal band. They have really tough riffs and can get you super pumped for whatever your doing. A lot of people make fun of the vocals because you can't understand them...well these people should try to decipher what As I Lay Dying is trying to say and then talk to me. Loud does not equal hard to understand it just equals loud. Anyway I like the lyrics they write as well. I can relate since I am an angsty teen and it seems to be aimed at angsty teens.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']An opportunity to ramble on about slipknot? Oh goody. Thanks Jake.(prepared to agitated!).

Slipknot is my favorite Nu-Metal band. They have really tough riffs and can get you super pumped for whatever your doing. A lot of people make fun of the vocals because you can't understand them...well these people should try to decipher what As I Lay Dying is trying to say and then talk to me. Loud does not equal hard to understand it just equals loud. Anyway I like the lyrics they write as well. I can relate since I am an angsty teen and it seems to be aimed at angsty teens.[/QUOTE]

Hey, as long as you realize it's not metal, I don't care.

And lol/props to you for being able to admit it's angsty teen music :animesmil

And loud has nothing to do with harshness and everything to do with how far you turn up the volume. :p

[FONT="Arial"]I don't know why, but I like not being able to understand what's being screamed in a song. It's why I picked Norma Jean over Underoath when I was in ninth grade...though now I can't remember anything about Underoath.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Olive"]Disturbed is my favoriteNu-metal band. WAYYYYY better than Slipknot anyday. Slipknot's lead singer is jsut plain old too annoying. Despite that I bought Stonesour. But Disturbed's Stupify is their best song, followed by Down with the Sickness and Shout 200. They're second album sucks, but they're 3rd album is great.

Avneged Sevenfold is still confusing because its partly metal. City of Evil is an amazing album, and I love every song on the album. Almost Easy is an awesome song, and they ahve gotten better since the last album. They can play good, and I love the music to death. But M. Shadows pisses me off just looking at him.

I aslo enjoy Evenescence. Fallen was plain old dumb, but after whats his name left they got better. The Open Door is an amzing album filled with reat lyrics and emotion.

I also like Linkin Park, even thought their new album sucks total cock. In the End, Papercut adn Numb are some of their best songs. I miss the old days when they had angsty lyrics.

Jake, are there any bands that you like that aren't metal? Iv'e never heard you talk about hard rock are just plain rock in general.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Jakehammaren']Hey, as long as you realize it's not metal, I don't care.

And lol/props to you for being able to admit it's angsty teen music :animesmil

And loud has nothing to do with harshness and everything to do with how far you turn up the volume. :p[/QUOTE]

They said they were angsty teen music in some interview. Well at least something to that effect. Angsty teens buy lots of **** no? I don't know why their not considered metal exactly but if a metal fan hears you call them that...they get mad...really really mad. They ripped this poor kids to shreds once. So I figure I will learn from others mistakes. Anyway thanks for giving me an outlet to be a sliptard.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Isn't Slipknot something like...Rapcore? The only problem with them is...It takes eight members to make something...a three or four member band could do better.

[I]Shame.[/I] Just picking...We've all had our... No.. Well.. Some of us have had our Sliptard days...Just like many metal-fans of today have had their young days of listening to Unearth.

Well. You can take everything post about music I've ever written, and it would all add up to..one big post that should be in here.

I hate poppy music like Post-hardcore. All the girls. And some of the guys, that dress funny like post-hardcore. All of them. Absolutely all of them. Blessthefall suck, okay? Sure... Chiodos is an amazing band, but you have to understand the quality of it... Not just because Craig can sing good. Flyleaf is a horrible band! And most of all. Hawthorne Heights.

lol. Okay, I'm over my anger streak. And Clurr, Norma Jean is way better than the new Underoath stuff, anyday. At least NJ had something going before "Redeemer" came out. You should get "O' God, The Aftermath"... Best album yet.

Now. On the subjects... math-core/ninetndocore/hardcore/awesomecore genres.

[B]Fear Before the March of Flames
The Number 12 Looks Like You
The Human Abstract
HORSE the band
Gallows[/B]

Discuss these bands.[I] Now[/I].[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Whoa, Mann'][SIZE=1][COLOR=HotPink]I hate poppy music like Post-hardcore. All the girls. And some of the guys, that dress funny like post-hardcore. All of them. Absolutely all of them. Blessthefall suck, okay? Sure... Chiodos is an amazing band, but you have to understand the quality of it... Not just because Craig can sing good. Flyleaf is a horrible band! And most of all. Hawthorne Heights. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote] Try some [URL="http://www.last.fm/music/Fugazi/Red+Medicine"][COLOR=Gray]real[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.last.fm/music/Fugazi/The+Argument"][COLOR=Gray]post[/COLOR][/URL]-[URL="http://www.last.fm/music/Fugazi/Steady+Diet+of+Nothing"][COLOR=Gray]hardcore[/COLOR][/URL] on for size.

Ok enough of slipknot. Time to talk about Tool and a Perfect circle. A.K.A my 2 favorite bands period.

Tool=sex via sound

For me everything is perfect drums bass guitar and vocals mesh to make overall epicness.

A Perfect Circle is almost perfect. The only thing is Maynard feels like being a lazy **** and his voice sounds like crap. But when he does it right it sound just as good if not better than Tool.

I love Lacuna Coil and Nightwish if you like them you should listen to Amon Amarth, Artosis, and Epica.

I myself also like Evanescence though I liked Fallen more than the Open Door didn't like the it.

I also love Breaking Benjamin I can't get enough of the songs Breakdown, Follow, Evil Angel, and Unknown Soldier.

I also like Blue October though a couple of their songs are mellow they have some good hard rock stuff.

Another fav. of mine is Coheed and Cambria they have their entire new album for listen on Myspace on their band page. I love it they are more harder like when they were Shabutie and on the In Keeping Secrets of a Silent Earth cd. They were to poppy for my taste on 2nd Stage turbine and Good Apollo 1.

Another band that I like that I recently discovered for myself is Ra named after the Egyptian Sun God the y kick ***.
I also cannot stand Nu-Metal, Metalcore, Hardcore, Post-Hardcore I find it like ***** rock whiny and full of angst I don't need that in my music give me some kind of message that doesn't sound like its coming from a adolescent prepubescent kid.

Norma Jean's last two records are the only thing decent they've ever done. I used to dig pretty hard on these guys, back in the harcore days. You'd think I'd have left them behind, but something about the O, God the Aftermath and Redeemer records rings of a certain originality that hardcore hasn't seen since Botch or the early work of Converge. I know they're trendy or whatnot, but good is good regardless.

Slipknot is meh...I could never dig them. I'll take Rage Against the Machine any day. Hell, I'll take System of a Down over Slipknot.

I have one thing to say that trumps every band mentioned here: Minor--effin'--Threat.

-Justin

[quote name='Inuyasha7271']I also cannot stand Nu-Metal, Metalcore, Hardcore, Post-Hardcore I find it like ***** rock whiny and full of angst I don't need that in my music give me some kind of message that doesn't sound like its coming from a adolescent prepubescent kid.[/quote] [quote=Evanescence lyrics][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=5][SIZE=2] Immobilized by my fear
And soon to be
Blinded by tears
I can stop the pain
If I will it all away[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote] [quote=Evanescence lyrics][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=5][SIZE=2] These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote] [quote=Evanescence lyrics][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=5][SIZE=2] Swallowed up in the sound of my screaming
Cannot cease for the fear of silent nights
Oh how I long for the deep sleep dreaming
The goddess of imaginary light[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote] These are literally the first three songs I clicked on. Watch your mouth before calling other bands whiny and angsty.

Not every evanescence song is angsty duh they have some angsty songs every band has 1 or 2 whiny bitchy songs on their cds. Not every song is angsty like most Post-Hardcore bands my friends have listened to some small name that I haven't even heard of or maybe just cause I'm not into the Core scene as some have told me.

Another band I've recently started listening to is Within Temptation and Dream Evil and I forgot last time I've been listening to Dragonforce a good year or 2 after I heard Valley of the Damned had to listen to em.

[quote name='Inuyasha7271']Not every evanescence song is angsty duh they have some angsty songs every band has 1 or 2 whiny bitchy songs on their cds.[/quote] One or two? lol. I wasn't being picky-choosy about the songs I quoted. I really did pick the first three I saw. But to drive the point home, I was going to start this post by snipping lyrics from every whiny track on all of their albums and compare that to the number of ones that aren't, but I don't want to waste the page space. You can read them yourself. I don't care if you like the band or not, because that's subjective. But don't call out other bands for being whiny and angsty when these guys' lyrics are beyond defense in that respect. :)

Yea I mean you can't say "Oh man I hate whiny angsty music but evanessence is awesome!" without being at least a tad contradictory. I mean what if I said "Man I sure do hate bands that have harsh gutteral vocals but Cannibal Corpse is sweet!" Or if that doesn't help "I don't like to hurt people but I love to box!"

[B]@ Revolver[/B] - Yes, I like a lot of music that isn't metal. Unfortunately, none of it is appropriate to discuss in this thread either. I don't like any extreme music that isn't metal, actually. All the other stuff I like is of a far tamer variety.

I love post-rock, Northern European folk music, classical music, and some indie, some electronica and ambient. Actually, if you look at my last.fm page, my top listened artist is October Falls (which is really, really mellow melancholic acoustic neo-folk music). Yes, it's my top listened artist, even above Agalloch. :P

Jeez guys, by the sound of it, someone should just start a "Music That Jake Likes" thread. :p

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Yea I mean you can't say "Oh man I hate whiny angsty music but evanessence is awesome!" without being at least a tad contradictory. I mean what if I said "Man I sure do hate bands that have harsh gutteral vocals but Cannibal Corpse is sweet!" Or if that doesn't help "I don't like to hurt people but I love to box!"[/QUOTE]

This is a refer to the both of you I said I like not I love I do hate angsty music with whiny bitchy guys but Evanescence has a female lead singer. I don't mind emotional whiny bitchy lyrics from a chick, but a dude is another thing I don't need another guy whining to me.
And it is a bit contradictory to say I hate angsty music but I like Evanescence some songs are melodic to me alot of Posthardcore and hardcore songs are not Melodic to me. I like Evanescence not cause of the lyrical content but because of Amy Lee's vocals thats another reason I like Artosis, Seraphim, and Epica because of the female lead singers vocals.

[quote name='Inuyasha7271']This is a refer to the both of you I said I like not I love I do hate angsty music with whiny bitchy guys but Evanescence has a female lead singer. I don't mind emotional whiny bitchy lyrics from a chick, but a dude is another thing I don't need another guy whining to me.
And it is a bit contradictory to say I hate angsty music but I like Evanescence some songs are melodic to me alot of Posthardcore and hardcore songs are not Melodic to me. I like Evanescence not cause of the lyrical content but because of Amy Lee's vocals thats another reason I like Artosis, Seraphim, and Epica because of the female lead singers vocals.[/QUOTE]

So you don't mind because she is a woman...OK um that seems odd but whatever. I find bitchy woman more annyoing than anything on earth but heey you do you.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']So you don't mind because she is a woman...OK um that seems odd but whatever. I find bitchy woman more annyoing than anything on earth but heey you do you.[/QUOTE]

musicially I like it when it comes to in person hell no I don't like Bitchy women.

Ever since I've gotten to college though I can't stop listening to black metal and death metal before this all I listened to was Hip hop, prog rock, and alt rock.
Then I meet a friend of mine who is a huge metal head and has played Bass a couple of metal bands. I listened to his IPOD for a few days and now I'm hooked

[quote name='Inuyasha7271']This is a refer to the both of you I said I like not I love I do hate angsty music with whiny bitchy guys but Evanescence has a female lead singer. I don't mind emotional whiny bitchy lyrics from a chick, but a dude is another thing I don't need another guy whining to me.[/quote] It's ok for women because they're weaker, hooray!

[quote name='Whoa, Mann'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]
[b]HORSE the band[/b]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"]
Oh yes. Immense Defecation Of The Buntaluffigus for the win.

I must disagree with you on one point, though. Flyleaf is an amazing band. Lacey Mosley is gorgeous, not to mention an amazing singer. Plus they have a fairly unique sound.

[/SIZE][/FONT]