OtakuBoards

Best of 2007!

Goodbye, Face

[font=arial][size=1]We have a month of 2007 left, but I wanted to actually make a thread on OB for once in my life.

Here, we do the typical top-whatever lists of albums or movies or both (and if you can find a way to make it work for TV shows, go right ahead). You know how to do this. Just be sure to describe this stuff as you feel is necessary. Your post should have something to discuss about it, basically. Follow my example, I'm just going to do music for now. I'll shoot for 15 and #1 is the best, I'm well aware that you don't care about my musical tastes enough for me to be all climactic and have my favorite album at the bottom.

And also, use incorrect genres at your own discretion, i.e.: avoid them entirely.
So at the risk of Nomura copying and reposting my entire list, here's my favorite albums of '07:

[b]1. Hella - There's No 666 in Outer Space:[/b] This album has been my little secret of the year. I have been obsessed with this band since I got this CD in mid-June and I've been trying not to mention it on here because I don't want Deus Ex to ruin this experience for me by liking it. Here's the skinny about the album, Zach Hill is the best drummer ever. EVER. I know I am standing on slippery ground saying that. Spencer Seim is an equally great guitarist, but I just can't comprehend some of his stuff. Those two guys were the original Hella. For this album, they expanded to a five-man set-up, including a singer who sounds like a weird mix of the singers from The Mars Volta and Cave In. His subject matter is straight up evil and I love it. The album is simply the most intense experience noise has ever been able to give me. Best album of the year, definitely a contender for the best album I've ever heard.

[b]2. Circa Survive - On Letting Go:[/b] It's like the band sat down and asked themselves "What music does Kevin want us to make?" and then they went and recorded it. I consider Anthony Green to be my favorite singer, but some how he takes the passenger seat to the guitars on this record, which is quite a feat. Every song contains epic emotion due to the swooping guitar melodies interacting with Anthony's voice. When they want you to feel happy, you feel the **** happy, when they want you sad, you ****ing cry. Where this album fit my tastes exactly, Hella took said musical tastes in both hands and tore them to pieces. Sorry, On Letting Go, you are number two.

[b]3. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works:[/b] I can't believe I'm saying this without having the words "since 1999" in the statement somewhere, but Ire Works is my favorite DEP album. It's strength is in its variety, there's "sell-out" material here, sure, but it works in this album better than it did in Miss Machine. I wish I could make everyone who reads this listen to "When Acting As a Wave."

[b]4. Pygmylush - Bitter River:[/b] I know what you're asking. "Who are these guys?!" It's three members of Pageninetynine, plus some other members. I was sold already, but for those of you that aren't, Bitter River is another album that works because of its variety. The band goes from their pg.99 roots of scathing hardcore with several vocalists going on at once to acoustic, folksy rock. The album in general goes between ferocity and despair, listening to it affects my mood in a negative way. But that's okay, it WORKS.

[b]5. Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone:[/b] The band does not employ words in their music, so I cannot describe them in words. The word "beautiful" comes to mind but it's not enough. Next album.

[b]6. Hot Cross - Risk Revival:[/b] Hot Cross lost a guitarist before writing this album, and I originally thought that they were screwed without Josh. I was wrong, they produced one hell of an album. I can't say that I think this is their best work, but I am really amazed with what they were able to accomplish. Before, I was kind of hoping they'd just call it quits, but now that they're gone, I want them back. ;_; PUNK ROCK.

[b]7. Shellac - Excellent Italian Greyhound:[/b] They apparently made this record to piss their audience off. There's a ten minute song with nothing but the same bass note over and over. There's a song that stops entirely for six minutes while frontman Steve Albini just talks into the microphone. It's amazing. Just don't ask me why. [spoiler]I would eat the **** out of Steve Albini's ***.[/spoiler]

[b]8. 65daysofstatic - The Destruction of Small Ideas:[/b] This band, in general, is incredible. This album definitely has its good moments, but mostly pales in comparison to their earlier works. This is half because of the way the recorded it. The insert reads "We recorded this album quietly so it can be enjoyed LOUDLY." It basically means that everything is played really soft and they want you to turn it up so the electronic noises get distorted. I like the concept but it just doesn't work. Also, there's a track where Circle Takes the Square do guest vocals. WIN.

[b]9. Baroness - The Red Album:[/b] Epic, EPIC Post-Rock that transforms into various kinds of metal (I'd really like to get Jake to help me out with that). The vocals sound completely different compared to their EP's but I like it, they sound different than Isis now, haha. This offering is better than anything from Isis in my opinion, that's real tough to say. Also, I saw them live last year and they played for three hours, then this guy in the audience got so excited he walked around punching people in the face, the cops came and the show was over.

[b]10. Ghastly City Sleep - (selftitled):[/b] I'm listening to this right now. It's post-rock with excellent guy/girl vocals intertwined with textured guitar noise. I don't know how to describe this in any way that would make this sound good. It is, though!

I'm done with this describing thing, here's some more:
Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends
Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
The Bled - Silent Treatment
Melt Banana - Bambi's Dilemma
Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autere Monde
Battles - Mirrored

Here's some things that are making me excited about next year!
Circle Takes the Square - II
This Will Destroy You - This Will Destroy You
Ayreon - 01011001

Your turn![/font][/size]

I'mbord[COLOR="77656"]I was thinking about making a thread for the best of 07, but I guess you did. Better you than me though.

[B]1. Coheed and Cambria - No World for Tomorrow: [/B]Of all the CD's I've boughten, this one has been the best for me. well, it better be, the wait for it's release was torture, and I was happy as a pig in **** when I got it. Anyways, it's CO&Ca at it's best. It's sound starts soft and transfers into heavy, then soft again and back. Even though some songs aren't HUZZAH! the album all around is. I has some really epic tracks, and I don't hate any song on the album. The End Complete III = epic btw.

[B]2. Fiar to Mildand - Fables from a Mayfly: What I tell you Three Times is True:[/B] No matter what you say, FTM is amazing. They have one of the best sounds, and perhaps a strength strong enough to knock Coheed & Cambria off their pedastal. But hey, the reviews on the net have said they could have asound that sounds like a fusion of CO&Ca and TMV. Plus they've already hit my top ten bands list only by listening to one song. Darroh Sudderth has an amazing voice, and the oher members have a mzing talent. Don't believe me buy the album.

[B]3. Dethklok - The Dethalbum:[/B] I expected a metal TV show to release a crappy albub. Much like a vide gmae has a crapp movie. But I was wrong, and this albm turned out pretty good. But I've heard people complain that it is't true metal, but tey can suck their cocks.

EDIT:

Whatmakes me horny for 08?
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath : well, Billy just made me remeber about htis album. I've only heard liek 2TMV songs nad htey are really good. Anyways, this album is going to be goodway to smash into 08 and into more greatmusic

Lewis Black - (I forgot the name of the special so sue me): it's comming to Comedy Central in march of 08, adn Lewis Black being one of my favoirte comedians, is getting me stocked for the comedy in 08. And is it just me, but are all Jewish comedians funny>? Sarah Silverman is a riot too.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]I don't have as much to contribute as you Kevin, but I'll try.

[IMG]http://media.npr.org/blogs/bryantpark/stoneage.jpg[/IMG]

[B]Queens of the Stone Age[/B]: [I]Era Vulgaris[/I]

Every [B]Queens[/B] album sounds completely different from the last, but yet have a similar air of familiarity, and [I]Era Vulgaris[/I] fits this description, but in a way, doesn't. That may not make sense, but I challenge you to listen to [I]Lullbies to Paralyze[/I] then [I]Era Vulgaris[/I]. [I]Vulgaris[/I] sounds so much more cocky, in-your-face, and not as sad, but it still is [B]QOTSA[/B]. Great record, awesome, catchy choruses, some truly warped riffs, and "Make It Wit Chu". Best song of 2007.

[IMG]http://superhumanoids.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/niggytardust.jpg[/IMG]

[B]Saull Williams[/B]: [I]The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust![/I]

With the aid of Trent Reznor, [B]Saul Williams[/B] crafted one of the most angry, innovative, and strangest hip-hop records ever. The method of distribution was like Radiohead's In Rainbows, but done better, with tons of artwork and sound quality options if you donate money for downloading it.

Listen to the first song, "Black History Month", its quasi-acapella structure and the infectious chorus. Its super out-there, and definitly not what you hear on the radio now. The song "Tr(n)igger" samples pieces from Public Enemy's "Welcome to the Terrordome", and is a challenge to those who want to start change, with lines like "you wanna start a revolution/and blame it on the institution" and then evolving to the chorus "the trigger is you/the nigga is you". Saul puts on a pretty faithful cover of U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday", full of grating synth, making it like a underground call to arms. [I]NiggyTardust![/I] also reminds me of the hip-hop version of [B]Tom Wait's[/B] [I]Rain Dogs[/I], especially on the song "Skin of a Drum". So much texture lies in the songs.

My favorite song "DNA", is probably the most chill song on the record, but maybe the most powerful. Saul's voice is dropped several octaves, so its very deep, and the beat in the background makes this sound like the devil rapping. The song is an attack on the materialism of the mainstream hip-hop community and how some of those artists have "Led us to despair/ some into prayer/ and they won’t let up until they got us worshipping them false gods instead of The Realness".

From the lyrics, the fantastic production, the artwork, and the whole album having creepy vibes pulsing thru every song, [I]The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust![/I] might be my favorite album of this year.

[IMG]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Mu+YOfERL._AA240_.jpg[/IMG]

[B]Bad Brains[/B]: [I]Build a Nation[/I]

[B]Bad Brains[/B], where have you been?! Why have you kept this wonderful record away from us for so long? This is the orginal line up (H.R. and Dr. Know are working together again) and they have crafted something that is twice as heavy, twice as fast, and just as entertaining as their early material. I like that H.R. can still pull of his distinctive vocal style in songs like "Jah People Make The World Go Round", yet swiches to his authentic, Rastafarian voice for reggae workouts like "Natty Dreadlocks Pon The Mountain Top". The album's songs flip-flop between speedy hardcore punk workouts with the heaviest bass you will hear to lighter, ethereal reggae songs. Also, Dr. Know isthe best punk guitarist ever. Everything is perfectly balanced in this mature record. Excellent.

What excites me for 2008?

[B]The Mars Volta[/B]: [I]The Bedlam in Goliath[/I]

From the four songs that have leaked, [B]TMV[/B] fans are about to be blown away.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Billy Shears'][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"][IMG]http://media.npr.org/blogs/bryantpark/stoneage.jpg[/IMG]

[B]Queens of the Stone Age[/B]: [I]Era Vulgaris[/I]

Every [B]Queens[/B] album sounds completely different from the last, but yet have a similar air of familiarity, and [I]Era Vulgaris[/I] fits this description, but in a way, doesn't. That may not make sense, but I challenge you to listen to [I]Lullbies to Paralyze[/I] then [I]Era Vulgaris[/I]. [I]Vulgaris[/I] sounds so much more cocky, in-your-face, and not as sad, but it still is [B]QOTSA[/B]. Great record, awesome, catchy choruses, some truly warped riffs, and "Make It Wit Chu". Best song of 2007.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]That was my first choice as well. Spectacular record that grows and grows on you the mosre you listen and most of the songs are plain awesome (for some rerason, the last 2 songs never clicked with me) [B]Make it wit Chu[/B] is indeed awesome, though m favorite has got to be [B]I'm Designer[/B].

As for m3h... (I'm going to cover every album I listened to that was released this year)

2007 was a pretty sucky *** year for a lot of otherwise great bands (and continuously sucky bands). Type O Negative's new album is **** caked in cum. The new Dream Theater album was pure lamenes. The new Linkin Park album gags on balls. Static X contnued their string of bland releases since Machine. The new nine Inch Nails album was just as boring as the one before it. I lol that looking down the list, almost the entire Pantheon of ****** Bands has released albums this year.

Oh my god. The new Avenged Sevenfold album RAPED MY EARS. I liked City of Evil, and the new album burned my ears. it was like something crawled into my ears and died. HORRID.

the new Gorillaz B-sides (or, D-sides as it were) is majorely disappointing as well. I hope the next real release doesn't suck like that.

Otherwise, I'm sure there were plenty of great albums that were released this year, I just didn't get to hear them. What I've heard of the new Swallow the Sun album was amazing, but I only heard 3 songs. I also saw some other stuff that probably kicks *** ([B]Explosions[/B], [B]65dos[/B], etc...) and the new [B]God is an Astronaught[/B] album was pretty cool.

The only albums I've really gotten to hear extensively this year (other than QotSA) were [B]Elect the Dead[/B], which is okay, the new [B]Coheed[/B] album, which is pretty good, and [B]The Dethalbum[/B], which isn't bad.

There was also [B]Shiraishi Minoru no Otoko no Lullaby[/B]. the most manly album of all time.[B] Koi no Minoru Densetsu[/B] is the most brilliant power-metal opus ever conceived >_> however, none of ya'll would likely be interested.

And I guess that's really it. QuotSA was the only spectacular album I managed to hear that was released this year. There's prolly a lot of stuff I need to get around to.

Also, for '08

[B]BEDLAM in GOLIATH[/B] I've got such a hard-on for this album :wub:
The [B]Opeth[/B] album I spent all year looking forward to >_<[/COLOR]

Well

[IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/Aboywearingvans/puscifer2.jpg[/IMG]

It's all bout Puscifers new album for me. EVERY song on that album was sex. Momma Sed was probably the sexiest song though. This is a good first album if I ever heard one. Cant' wait to see what happens in the future with them.

[IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/Aboywearingvans/pca.jpg[/IMG]

Their album is pretty good too. 2nd place for me.

Next year? I am really looking forward to Slipknots new album and Mudvaynes new album. Dull boy from Mudvayne is good and if all their new songs are like that then the album will be great. Pretty much everything that comes from Slipknot I like so I know they won't disappoint.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I haven't really posted in best of such and such threads before. XP I'm assuming this is the best according to your own tastes... Anyway, for 2007 there were two music albums that really stood out for me.

[B]Nightwish: Dark Passion Play.[/B] This is unusual in that though I don't mind metal [[SIZE="1"]I've no clue what type of metal mind you so other than a general statement I'm not placing it in a genre[/SIZE]] it's not a type of music that I typically go looking for something to listen to in. I blame this solely on Rachmaninoff who learned about it from Jakehammaren. The thing is... it's the type of music I really like. For starters it was recorded with the London Philharmonic Orchestra, something that I have always enjoyed. The real thing instead of using technology to simulate an orchestra.

It has a deep and powerful dramatic sound to it that makes it more like a dramatic, expressive play instead of just a song. And though I had to import a copy to get the set with the dual disk so I could have the copy of all the songs that were just instrumental versions [[SIZE="1"]which is what I like the best actually[/SIZE]] it was worth every penny I paid to get it.

It has turned out to be my favorite new album to my music collection that I really love. I get stuff that I enjoy obviously, but it's not often that I get something that I absolutely love to listen to. Especially the song [B]The Poet and the Pendulum[/B], which has a Cello solo about four and a half minutes into the song that I enjoy listening to.

[B]Mannheim Steamroller: Christmas Song.[/B] Mannheim is my absolute favorite type of Christmas music and they don't release albums often enough. So I was beyond thrilled to realize that they finally had a new album out after going nearly six years without one. Honestly, I was almost feeling like I was going into withdrawal here. lol Mannheim does a combination of modernizing Christmas songs so they sound more like rock songs and recreating authentic ones more true to the original era they come from.

And though this album had more of the rock style than the older style, it still has lots of new arrangements by them that I've really enjoyed listening to since I got the album. I also got to hear them perform live shortly after getting the album. Something that was fantastic to hear and I'm only sorry that there was only one performance in my area. I would have so forked out the money to hear them perform live again.

Anyway, I'm sure there are others, but really, for music, these two are the ones that really stick out the most in my mind. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"]I haven't really been able to get into too many bands this year, and none of my old favorites released anything (to my knowledge, at least). So I have only three.
[B]
The Academy Is - Santi[/B]
At the time this came out, I had only heard a few of their other songs that I really liked. But I did/do have a tremendous crush on their singer, William Beckett, so when I found out they were coming to play in my favorite venue here I didn't hesitate to buy a ticket. Then my friend gave me this CD and a couple of weeks before the concert I couldn't stop listening to it. Almost every single song stands out, so much that I have a hard time picking a favorite. It was enough to make me consider the Academy Is my second favorite band.
[B]
Blaqk Audio - CexCells[/B]
This is a two-person electronica group made up of Davey Havok and Jade Puget from AFI. They've been talking about doing this for years but never really had the time or means, but they finally buckled down and put out this album. I absolutely love it (I don't know if there are any techno songs I can't like, xD). At first it was a little weird to hear Davey sing about having sex or stripping, but now I can just laugh it off. My favorite songs are probably Stiff Kittens, Cities of Night, Snuff on Digital, Bitter for Sweet, and their cover of Boys and Girls by Blur.
[B]
Circa Survive - On Letting Go[/B]
Kevin (Goodbye, Face) urged me to listen to them, so I did, and I fell in love pretty fast. I don't have this whole album yet, but even the few songs I've heard make it amazing. It's better than a lot of other new songs I've heard this year, anyway. I'm definitely buying it after Christmas. I haven't had a true 3rd favorite band in a long time, but now I do. :D[/FONT]

[font="trebuchet ms"] Call me a mainstream whore, but these were the two albums I liked the best:

[img]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000NA26ZE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V43845028_SS500_.jpg[/img]

A lot of the songs he produced were my favorites of the year (i.e. Bombay, Time, Give it to Me, The Way I Are, Apologize), and while some of his songs weren't on [b]Shock Value[/b], the album itself was fine. All of the songs are well-made and catchy, and for once there was a good album with various artists. There was also a good range of styles, evident by the song [i]Bombay[/i], which I think is amazing.

[img]http://991.com/newGallery/Justin-Timberlake-Future-Sex--Love-365558.jpg[/img]

[b]Future Sex/Love Sounds[/b]. I liked seven out of the twelve tracks, which is for me a huge success. I didn't really think much of Justin Timberlake, but I thought this album was pretty good. It's just so rare that I like an album from one artists in general, because my iTunes is a collection of one or two songs from a single artist, so I had to give recognition to this album. [/font]

• 1 month later...
[COLOR="Navy"]All the music in this thread, I guess nobody watches TV anymore lol. Anyway, I'm gonna go with movies and shows that I've seen in 07.

I called myself waiting to see Bourne Ultimatum before posting this thread, but Blockbusters is playing games with these long waits.

Anyways

[b]Transformers[/b] - I've only seen a couple of minutes of the original Transformers, so I don't know if they nailed it or not. But everything in it was really good. Bumblebee boosted my interest in Camaro's. #1 movie of 2007? Perhaps, but I'll wait till I see BU before placing judgment.

[b]Spider-Man 3[/b] - It's good, but it's not nearly as good as the second. I didn't really care for them [spoiler]teamming up Sandman and Venom[/spoiler], but in the end it turned out decent. Some things should've just been left out of the movie altogether. Mainly speaking about [spoiler]Tobi trying to dance.[/spoiler]

[b]Law & Order: Special Victims Unit[/b] - Between this and [i]24[/i], I don't know which one I'd rank as best show... Elliot and Fin are some funny characters lol.

[b]24[/b] - I missed the last episode of the last season, but if I recall, the whole season itself was full of surprises. The biggest one being [spoiler]Jack killing Curtis[/spoiler].

There are some newer shows I've been checking out lately (Numb3rs, NCIS), but I need to catch those from the beginning because those look like some interesting shows.[/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1]Haha, woooah. I forgot about this thread and I'm the one who made it!

I'm personally not much of a television or even that much of a movies person to where I actually stay current with them. There were two movies that I really want to call attention to because they were amazing.

August Rush gave me my first good cry in two years. I will "man up" to that fact. It is possibly the most beautiful story I've ever been told. Unfortunately, with the way the story goes, I can't tell you much at all about it without giving the whole thing away. The story itself is predictable, but it really spoke to me. Also, any movie that makes me dislike Robin Williams for a moment is powerful.

Into the Wild was a B movie that I got pressured into seeing. It was really long, and contained a lot of hunting-related gore that I could have done without. However, the mostly true story it told was incredible. It follows this rich kid on a journey starting with him cutting up his credit cards, ID, and burning all of his money. He goes "into the wild" and tries to survive on his own through his epic journey to... Canada. It's kind of like Cast Away with actual speaking parts. The ending made the movie feel very not worth it, giving off that true story vibe, y'know? But it's the journey and not the destination. It was amazing. Bring a snack.[/font][/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Aha, that reminds me...

Tim and Eric Awesome Show! Good Job!- Well, it may be one of the weirdest comedy you'll see... But the skits are original. I mean, if it takes a Robin Williams look-a-like skit to make the whole show awesome for me... It did it. I also enjoy that Dunngin talk show skit they do every few episodes.

Red Vs. Blue Season Five- Well, It's one of my favorite seasons of RvB. Truly funny, and it can be funny even for people who don't play Halo. Well. Sometimes.. But it's just great. And, It's pretty cool how they can make it, having to use such simple tactics and ideas. Adobe, baby.

The Number 12 Looks Like You- "Mongrel"- Great album. Not as great as Nuclear (But better than Rosy Red Glasses) It's pretty short and it takes a few listens to get into it. Great progressive elements, drummer, elements of deathcore and everything else. Unfortunately, most of the "emo" influences were killed in the new album. Still a good one.

Heroes- AGHHHH. Favorite show. What can I say... It's about superheroes, and the creators did well to make it original using un-original powers, by making the characters so realistic. The season one DVD is one of my favorite box sets, and I can't wait for the next one.

Attack of the Show- Olivia... is the QUEEN OF OSCAR-MAYER[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=crimson]1. [img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/None_shall_pass_aes_rock.jpg[/img]

Aesop Rock returns to form with this CD. [i]Bazooka Tooth[/i] and [i]Fast Cars[/i] were both mediocre albums. Listening to None Shall Pass, you can hear some very stellar beats mixed with Aesop Rock's eccentric lyrical schemes. Several of the usual suspects show up to assist Aesop including Cage and El-P. Out of left field comes the song Coffee which ends with a verse sung by John Darnielle from the completely unrelated to rap, folky band [i]The Mountain Goats[/i]. **** if I had heard of him before this CD.

It is a very stellar album that should appeal to a broader audience outside of quasi-underground hip hop. Equally fun is the music video for Coffee, which I will link to below.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1-nVUedOYM]Coffee[/url] ft. John Darnielle. Video is not safe for work, children, people with weak hearts, and people who are not at least 56 inches tall. A fun take on gore-fest horror movies that shows a zombie invasion. Very, very bloody.. in a fun way!

2. Jesu, all of their releases in 2007.

Jesu had material on two albums, two eps, and one split this year. For all this material, I am hard pressed to find anyone who has heard of them, let alone listens to them even with slight frequency. My favorite of these releases was their second album, Pale Sketches.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/Jesu_-_Pale_Sketches.jpg[/img]

Pale Sketches is an atmospheric, determined effort by Jesu to depress the **** out of you, but not to the degree of their earlier albums. The mix of shoegaze, metal, electronica, orchestra, and choir elements gives each track an eccentric independence from the rest of the albums material.

I enjoy them. Their material is less open to broader enjoyment than Aesop. If you have a taste for any of the elements I mentioned above, check out their album if you can find it anywhere but on various bittorrent networks.

3. Paprika's soundtrack produced by Susumu Hirasawa.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/Paprika_OST.jpg[/img]

Susumu Hirasawa first popped on to my radar for the opening track of Paranoia Agent, which was an awesome song. Though released in Japan in 2k6, this movie (also a stellar) wandered into the United States in 2k7 and caught me unaware. Doing research on it, reviews and the like, I discovered that Hirasawa had done the OST for the movie as well. I found some snippets of it online and immediately purchased portions of it on iTunes. Good call.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDNwXZDcDDo]The Girl in Byakkoya[/url]. Fantastic track off of that album.

More to come.[/color]

[font=arial][size=1]Dude, I love Jesu, I have to be in the mood for them, though. Drone and Shoegaze are two of the most sad music types ever to me, and to combine the two...

But yeah, I bought Conqueror, but I really only treasure a few songs off of it, so it didn't make it onto my list, but I really should add it in somewhere. I probably forgot it. One of Jake's and my own favorite artists of the year, Alcest, sounds a lot like Jesu, so check that out!

But yeah, I didn't even know about Pale Sketches, so I'll check that album out, I had no idea they released more than Conqueror and the split.[/font][/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="darkred"]Out of the few TV shows I watch:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[IMG]http://www.conchords.co.nz/images/small-holding.gif[/IMG]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkRed"]If anyone knows about them, it is a folk/hiphop/funk/rock duo from New Zealand trying to make it big in New York City. The first season was hilarious, and I am only hoping for better in the second season coming up in 2008.

Best sitcom of 2007. The humor ranges from dry to outright retarded. If you don't have HBO, buy the 1st season on DVD. You won't regret it.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=crimson]4. [img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51x4bOSv1kL._SS500_.jpg[/img]

"And frankly, there's nothing so unusual about being a jewish cowboy."

Socalled's newest album is named 'Ghettoblaster'. He is a rapper, but his musical styling is much more varied than that. Listening to the lead single off of Ghettoblaster, "[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tS4OWiozmw]You Are Never Alone[/url]",the production put into it creates a song that is comparative to the Gorillaz. Yeah, there is some hip-hop in there, but the sound is broader than just that single genre. I'd recommend a listen to You Are Never Alone, you might like it.

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61lRuQnU-AL._SS400_.jpg[/img]

Every Time I Die, an interesting some sort of metal band (heavy metal or metalcore), released THE BIG DIRTY this year, and it is pretty badass. I like every song on the CD, but my favorite by far is We'rewolf. [url=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61lRuQnU-AL._SS400_.jpg]We'rewolf[/url] is the perfect combination of cowbell-introduction, driving guitar riff, good drumming, and passionate vocals to keep you alive, awake, and aware for your day.

6. [img]http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/4a/ca/cc3d53a09da00c0cee1b4110.L.jpg[/img]

Minus the Bear has some kind of a sound going on. It sounds very low key with a kind of indie vibe, but has aspects of experimentation within. They released Planet of Ice this year and I picked it up expecting a rather good album, and I got a rather great album. It is so mellow at times. They are just there, singing to you about stuff, and it is hard not to stop and enjoy the song while working or doing other things. For those interested, the single off of Planet of Ice is "[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHijNidhoII]Knights[/url]" and it is a very nice song.

7. [img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fB8JsJynL._SS500_.jpg[/img]

KINGS OF LEON, *****. I love the Kings of Leon. I have loved them since Youth and Young Manhood. Aha Shake Heartbreak was equally awesome. This album matches that greatness, and I am hopeful that more and more people listen to them and give them the broader fame they deserve. The sound is southern rock, rock, indie rock, and so much more. They know how to play their instruments. The lead singer has a very soulful, driving voice. They had several singles stumble off of the CD, but my favorite is the third - "[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHzDSmav0NM]Charmer[/url]". Listen to that man's voice, the bass, the guitar. Superb.

In a close second, with much less screaming and added emotion, is "[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEh8OL0Jj-0]On Call[/url]".

Possibly more to come. Modest Mouse might need to be mentioned.[/color]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]YES! Aha. King of Leon's album this year is my favorite of theirs so far, and well... The Big Dirty is the raunchiest album I've heard in a while, I love it. :] Shallow Water Breakout is probably my favorite song on the album because it's so chaotic, and then We'rewolf next with Leatherneck following it. Great album... Probably right beside Maylene and the Sons of Disaster's album of 2007, II. I suggest you pick it up if you havn't already. It's like Everytime I Die with a bit more southern-ness.

No World for Tommorrow- Coheed.. Eh... It's one of my favorites of this year... but... it's.. just not as good as I was hoping. 3 will remain as my favorite of theirs, I suppose.

Manipulator- The Fall of Troy- YES. YESSS. A mixture of Coheed and The Number 12. I was so glad when I heard this band. They rule all other new post-hardcore whatever bands, because of all that weird-almost-progness. :]

Plagues- The Devil Wears Prada.. Not as good as Beautiful Discord, but still a pretty good album. The synth is better, and the screams are better, and the guitar is heavier. But..it's just not better. But none-the-less, amazing album.

Bone Palace Ballet-Chiodos... Thank you Chiodos for taking everything from the Number 12 and turning into a pop-core band. Good album. But not original. Cliche' good. Only you guys could turn something so cliche' good. Props, Chiodos.[/COLOR][/SIZE]