OtakuBoards

Sad Anime Deaths

koon

I know it's old school, but why hasn't anyone metioned [spoiler] Setsuko's death [/spoiler] in Grave of the Fireflies. So far that's the only anime death that's made me cry and not just a few tears either. :animecry:

[spoiler] Maes Hughes death in FMA was really sad too. Why did he have to die!?[/spoiler]

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE]I know it's old school, but why hasn't anyone metioned [spoiler]Setsuko's death[/spoiler] in Grave of the Fireflies. So far that's the only anime death that's made me cry and not just a few tears either. [/QUOTE]
That one made me lol so hard I almost crapped my pants.

[QUOTE][spoiler]A sad death in anime for me is Haku as well, and also Chi(or however you say it) of Chobits, at the end of the series, well, she doesn't exactly die, but it was really sad for me.[/spoiler][/QUOTE] [spoiler]What? Chii isn't a living being...she can't die. She almost had her memory erased but that didn't even happen...wtf?[/spoiler]

[quote name='Panache']

[spoiler]What? Chii isn't a living being...she can't die. She almost had her memory erased but that didn't even happen...wtf?[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

What quantifies a life ?

That was a very sad scene for myself as well, and I'm glad it ended well.

Though I'm sticking with Kino no tabi

[spoiler] When the town is whipped off the map and all inhabitance were killed by the volcano, and the little girl who's name is that of a flower. Stayed to die with her family. [/spoiler]

Even though He was a villain, Ii thought [spoiler]Kimimaru's death [/spoiler]was really sad. the way they introduved his life and his unswavering loyaslty to orochimaru, and then the last attack that would have won him his great victory , his dream of beeing [I]of use [/I]was shattered by his own bodies frailty, very touching.Reminded me of [spoiler]Haku's death a little although i think Haku's was a little more touching.[/spoiler]

[/code]So it is true that [spoiler]naruto is the son of the fouth hokage[/spoiler]. I thought he was just because it never says what happpens to his parents other than they died in the attack and all of the flashback pictures showing members of the hokage family looked like reletives of his, especially, icant remember his name, but the boy that tsunade got that necklace from looked almost just like naruto and wasnot he suppose to be someone in the fourth hokages family, im not usre I will have to rewatch some episodes. [spoiler]but is it canonized that naruto was the fourth hokages son or not.[/spoiler]
from Fma there were three deaths that made me cry, literally cry. first was [spoiler]nina's transformation and death , and the Maes Hues's death. and I know He didnt stay dead but the way envy killed Edward really gut punched me.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Wolfwoods death [/spoiler]from trigun was very well done i think although I didnt like him dying , it was the right way to go dramatically. very emotional, although i didnt cry

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Andy'][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]Yeah...umm.....how about the[spoiler] Fourth Hokage?[/spoiler][/SIZE][/FONT]:animestun[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you. We [I]do[/I] know enough about him to be saddened. What we've seen in Kakashi Gaiden and then some flashbacks in the most current manga provide plenty of evidence. From what I saw, he reminds me of a more open Kakashi - a good guy, extremely skilled, but someone who cares more about those around him than himself. Add to that the smile he gave Jiraiya in that flashback and I'm sold. It's terrible when the coolest character in an anime dies in the first 30 seconds.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]So, yeah, I'd suggest reading the manga if you want the whole story past the Kyoto arc (which is better than the anime by far, with the exception of the Trust and Betrayal segment), and a happier ending where [spoiler]Kenshin doesn't die.[/spoiler][/color][/QUOTE]

WOOHOO! I haven't gotten far on the manga and was so miffed at myself when I read a spoiler somewhere that [spoiler]he dies.[/spoiler]

The deaths of the[spoiler] Oniwabanshu [/spoiler]in Ruroken were really sad. [spoiler]They all died at once and at the time I thought that meant Aoshi was the last member. :animesigh[/spoiler] [spoiler]Haku and Zabuza [/spoiler]were really touching, too.

I can remember balling my eyes out back in the day when [spoiler]Goku[/spoiler] died in DBZ. [spoiler]Spike Spiegel[/spoiler]'s death in Cowboy Bebop caught me by surprise so I was a bit shaken. As for more recently, I shed a few tears when in Naruto [spoiler]Jiraiya[/spoiler] met his end.

• 3 weeks later...
okay all FMA fans know these deaths:

[spoiler] [B]Nina & Alexander Tucker: [/B]Nina is only a 3 year old girl, and alexander is a big loveable dog.
[B]Hughes:[/B] poor hughes, all FMA fans cried after that
[B]Hoenheim:[/B] he pretty much commited sucide, to sacrifice himself to help Ed. Ed was in total shock after that.
[B]Alphonse Hedrick:[/B] another sad death, but it was pretty much predicted [/spoiler]

Chrno Crusades:

[spoiler] Okay then ending was pretty much a heart breaker, Chrno and Rossette do dying together, and holding hands, that was so great but all too sad [/spoiler]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I can think of a few actually...

First would be [b]Dragon Ball Z[/b]. When I was a kid and watched Frieza completely [spoiler]obliterate Krillen when they were on Namek[/spoiler] I was crushed. It was so sad. :(

Second would be in [b]Pokemon[/b]. The part where [spoiler]Butterfree leaves Ash to be with the other Butterfrees was heart-wrenching as a Pokemon-obsessed 7 year old. The episode was even called "Bye, Bye, Butterfree!"[/spoiler] Okay, so he didn't actually [i]die[/i] but it was still sad!

Lastly would be in an Anime I've only recently started watching a couple weeks ago. It's called [b]Death Note[/b]. I don't think I even have to mention which death I'm talking about because I'm sure any Death Note fan knows exactly which one was the saddest but just in case... [spoiler]I'm talking about "Ryuga Hideki's" death, of course. And while it was very depressing (the whole episode was) I think in the end he deserved it.[/spoiler][/COLOR][/FONT]

I haven't actually seen too many anime with deaths of anyone I'd care about dieing. For the most part, it's Cowboy Bebop. [spoiler]Julia's death[/spoiler] was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. I can't say the same for [spoiler]Spike's death, if only because it would've been sadder for him to go on without Julia[/spoiler].

Also, when [spoiler]'Hot Ice' Hilda[/spoiler] dies in Outlaw Star. I know, the series wouldn't've gone on the same way without it, but it just seemed so unfair for it to end like that.

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I can think of a few actually...

First would be [b]Dragon Ball Z[/b]. When I was a kid and watched Frieza completely [spoiler]obliterate Krillen when they were on Namek[/spoiler] I was crushed. It was so sad. :(

Second would be in [b]Pokemon[/b]. The part where [spoiler]Butterfree leaves Ash to be with the other Butterfrees was heart-wrenching as a Pokemon-obsessed 7 year old. The episode was even called "Bye, Bye, Butterfree!"[/spoiler] Okay, so he didn't actually [i]die[/i] but it was still sad!

Lastly would be in an Anime I've only recently started watching a couple weeks ago. It's called [b]Death Note[/b]. I don't think I even have to mention which death I'm talking about because I'm sure any Death Note fan knows exactly which one was the saddest but just in case... [spoiler]I'm talking about "Ryuga Hideki's" death, of course. And while it was very depressing (the whole episode was) I think in the end he deserved it.[/spoiler][/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

OMG I remember that episode of Pokemon and it was very sad lol.

------------

In Samurai X when [spoiler]Kenshin dies in Karou's arms. [/spoiler]It was the saddest thing ever. I cried. Lots T.T :animecry:

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]~ Please don't double post <3 Iki[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah... in the series Dragonballz whenever [spoiler]Vegeta[/spoiler] dies I bawl like a baby. :(

I'm pretty much cursed when it comes to this subject, if I have a favorite character in an anime, he dies. >.<

My poor, poor [spoiler]L.[/spoiler] :(

And of course [Spoiler]Maes Hughes[/spoiler] from Full Metal. He was adorable and awesome... ::sighs::

[FONT=Arial]Three pages and no one's brought up Bebop?

[spoiler]Only two deaths to speak two here. First is Grin's, but to me his life was more poignant than his death. That Spike gave him an honorable send-off was fitting, I think.

The other is quite obviously Julia's. The timing, combined with the John Woo homage, was impeccable, and it was a death I felt coming but didn't really see. They had me strung along, too; for a while, I thought they were going to make the fairy-tale ending plausible, and even well done, and to have that jerked away in one shot was absolutely masterful.[/spoiler][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Allamorph, Bebop has been mentioned at least twice in the last ten posts. Just thought I'd point that out.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]I should also make a note that when I watched DBZ (a habit I stopped long, long ago), I was vaguely saddened when [spoiler]Frieza butchered Krillin on Namek[/spoiler]. I like the little guy.[/SIZE][/FONT]

That was sorta sad... but [spoiler]Vegeta will always be my main man so his deaths always make me the saddest. [/spoiler] I was never sad when [spoiler]Goku[/spoiler] died, though. It was always just like... wtfever. He'll be back in like two days.

[quote name='Kenso][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Allamorph, Bebop has been mentioned at least twice in the last ten posts. Just thought I'd point that out.[/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Well then, color me unobservant. :p

[SIZE="1"]Could've [I]sworn[/I] I read everything.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Gah! I was crying when I read the Kakashi gaiden and...

SPOILERS********* (i can't do the black block thing so this must do for now!)****

[spoiler]Obito Uchiha died. But it is speculated that Obito is auctually Tobi (has anyone noticed the fact obito and Tobi have almost the same letters? Amongst other things), but that is as debatable as the whole Naruto is the fourths son thing.[/spoiler]

My mom was freaked out wondering why I was crying about some "comic book"

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Fix'd for you (゚ 3゚) - Iki[/COLOR][/SIZE]

In my opinion, the saddest death scene was in Grave of the Fireflies when [spoiler]]Setsuko[/spoiler] died. ;_;
Geez. I never cry while watching a movie but I did then.

This is my first post so hopefully I was able to mark out the name so you can only see it if you highlight it. If I wasn't able to, sorry..[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][INDENT]I added the spoiler tags for you [B]blackenedtwi[/B], instructions as to how to do so can be found here: [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=55649"][U]Anime Central Guidelines[/U][/URL] So take a moment to look them over, thanks. ~indifference[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='katal1st']KANON TV2:

[spoiler]I would have to rank Makoto's death in Kanon TV2 as the most emotional I have ever become over an anime. It was well written and well drawn. Had me in tears, and that ain't easy @_@[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Totally agreed there. That whole series had me breaking down in tears at nearly every sad part it was written so well.

Wait, I just realized I haven't mentioned [spoiler]Leomon[/spoiler] of Digimon Tamers yet. That was totally harsh. [spoiler]I consider it to be one of the main catalysts of the season, since if Leomon hadn't died, Jeri wouldn't have gone over the edge in despair. In turn, she wouldn't have been susceptible to the D-reaper, which wouldn't have made it to Earth without its Jeri scout. Grani wouldn't have made a reappearance, meaning no Gallantmon Crimson Mode. In conclusion, even if they did destroy the D-reaper in the finale, it wouldn't have been as epic and emotion-filled as it was. It was very well done, but it was a terrible loss at the time.[/spoiler]

The saddest 3 deaths are of [spoiler]L, Light, and Nina[/spoiler] from FMA

[spoiler]L had to die of an heart attack,[/spoiler] and reall sad way of dieing seeing as how he was fighting against kira. And not only that but if you saw the directors cut of Death Note [spoiler]Light practically dances on L's grave. [/spoiler]Sad.

[spoiler]Light, [/spoiler]the saddest part about his death is the fact that it was caused by[spoiler] Matsuda,[/spoiler] seriously..one of the smartest characters of anime/manga done in by one of the stupidest. Sad/lol.

Here is the scene im talking about, ryuk is just standing there thinking, [I]Lights really lost it[/I]

A word of Caution this link is a spoiler

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvIxTVafkM&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvIxTVafkM&feature=related[/URL]

[spoiler]Nina, [/spoiler]i'm surprised that the FMA people didnt mention [spoiler]Nina when they were talking about Hughes. She was betrayed by her father, transmuted into a chimaira by her father (the bastard), and finally she was destroyed by Scar by being deconstructed. [/spoiler]Dont tell me you didnt feel sad when Ed cried in the rain at the end. super sad.

These three are the saddest deaths in my opinion.[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][INDENT]I added spoiler tags for you Godot. When discussing something that can spoil it for someone who has yet to see it, always use spoiler tags. Instructions as to how one can use them can be found here: [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=55649"][U]Anime Central Guidelines[/U][/URL]. ~Indi[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Godot]The saddest 3 deaths are of [spoiler]L, Light, and Nina[/spoiler'] from FMA[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I think you meant to say [I]"The saddest 3 deaths are of [spoiler]L and Light[/spoiler] from Death Note and [spoiler]Nina[/spoiler] from FMA"[/I]. Otherwise people who have seen FMA will be rather confused.

=P[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Three pages and no one's brought up Bebop?

[spoiler]Only two deaths to speak two here. First is Grin's, but to me his life was more poignant than his death. That Spike gave him an honorable send-off was fitting, I think.

The other is quite obviously Julia's. The timing, combined with the John Woo homage, was impeccable, and it was a death I felt coming but didn't really see. They had me strung along, too; for a while, I thought they were going to make the fairy-tale ending plausible, and even well done, and to have that jerked away in one shot was absolutely masterful.[/spoiler][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[spoiler]I hate Gren's death. He was one of my favorite characters, and what had happened to him and his friendship with Vicious was so sad, because he really believed in the good part of that guy, if there ever was one. (I always secretly hoped he would live and hook up with Faye;)) [/spoiler]

Other sad deaths:

[spoiler]Setsuko [/spoiler] from Grave of the Fireflies, I'd have to agree was probably the saddest. I watched that with my parents, and I had to beat the tears back.

[spoiler]Tima[/spoiler] from Metropolis. I kept hoping Kenichi would catch her or something. I think the Ray Charles classic "I Can't Stop Loving You" during that one really made the difference though.

[spoiler]The baby ohm from Nausicaa. [/spoiler] OK maybe that wasn't SUCH a big deal, but I felt sorry for the little princess.

[spoiler]Vegeta's death in the Buu saga of DBZ, when he sacrifices himself to save everybody. [/spoiler] Also in DBZ, [spoiler]Gohan's death[/spoiler] in Trunks' future.