OtakuBoards

Sad Anime Deaths

koon

[quote name='Phenom][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Episode previews kind of summed that up for me...[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]And I tend to look for the triple entendres in episode titles, so it's basically the same thing. :p

Plus, [spoiler]L remarking that he was sad, just before he was killed, reminded me far too much of Gethsemane, so the resurrection parallel/metaphor was a little blatantly obvious to me.[/spoiler][/FONT]

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loads of deaths in anime that I found was sad or well done. But trigun and gungrave did them the best.

Trigun

[spoiler]Wolfwood was and still is one of my most beloved character in the series so when he was dieying and had his speech about not wanting to die, it was pretty sad. The setting was brilliant, in a church, leaning on his huge cross, crying to god to not die.[/spoiler]

Gungrave

[spoiler]Oh man this series is brilliant from start to finish so when Harry kills brandon it was pretty sad. Still I didnt think it was that sad cos I could see it coming from a mile off. The real sad death was the ending when both die but with brandon still trying to protect Harry. Then it showed Harry seeing flashbacks and ghosts of his old friends which I felt was pretty touching.[/spoiler]

[quote name='The Mask']Then, there was in Fullmetal Alchemist. I was quite shocked and saddened at the death of [spoiler]Maes Hughes[/spoiler]. It caught me by surprise because I was expecting him to be one of the characters that will remain alive at the end of the series. Prior to his death, he was starting to become my favorite character in the show. That's why I was so distraught when he suddenly died. Even heartbreaking for me was seeing the funeral.[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]Yeah, definitely. Even though I knew what was happening before (Oh, the joys of being an anime forum Moderator and having to place spoiler tags in people's posts >.>; ), it still shocked and gripped me. He was such a great character, and one I really identified with a lot. [spoiler]When his daughter was crying at the funeral, and Roy's tears as well... it was almost too much.[/spoiler] That's the one that always, always strikes home when I watch it.

In One Piece, one of the few times I did actually, properly cry was when [spoiler]Dr Hiruluk died during Chopper's flashback sequence. I don't know why, but seeing Chopper wave his pirate flag next to his charred hat, screaming at the top of his voice was heartbreaking.[/spoiler] And similarly, when [spoiler]The Going Merry was destroyed and spoke to the rest of the Straw Hats about how much it enjoyed being with them and how it wanted to always stay with them, that was so, so sad.[/spoiler]

With Death Note I was more shocked by the entire series :p It gripped me by the throat and never really let go (even though it got a bit boring just after [spoiler]L dies.[/spoiler] I was more angered than saddened by that, I think. I liked [spoiler]L - he was a stronger character than Light, I think[/spoiler], so to see him go it felt like something had gone very wrong in the way it was written. Which is the effect it's meant to have, I suppose. So it definitely works, heh.

In Trigun, [spoiler]Wolfwood's death[/spoiler] was one of the hardest to take. He barely said anything about his appreciation for the others, but that monologue he has at the end is one of my favourite ever scenes. i should watch it again sometime...

Oh, RahXephon! When [spoiler]Hiroko ran away with Ayato, and he started attacking that Dolem that had possessed her... that was terrible to watch. Especially as she was telling him she loved him in lights across the city as he unknowingly shredded her to pieces.[/spoiler][/COLOR]

• 5 weeks later...
Sailor Moon

How could no one have mentioned [spoiler]Nephrite's[/spoiler] death?! Yeah, I know [spoiler]a lot of people died[/spoiler] but it was the saddest one! I mean ... [spoiler]chocolate parfait?! How can you not get torn up about chocolate parfait!?[/spoiler]

Ronin Warriors

[spoiler]The Ancient[/spoiler]. Then [spoiler]Anubis replaces him, but the Ancient was so much cooler.[/spoiler]

Petite Princess Yucie

[spoiler]ALL HER FRIENDS DIE[/spoiler] While fighting to become the next Princess, [spoiler]they all die so she can have her wish of having her boyfriend get better. I know they all come back to life, but I bawled my eyes out SO HARD when that happened![/spoiler]

Lodoss Wars

[spoiler]Gimli! Gimli from Lodoss Wars. He dies so nobly saving the Grey Witch.[/spoiler]

Fruits Basket

When [spoiler]Tohru's mother died. SAD. Poor Kyo. :( Sad sad. [/spoiler]

I read the spoilers on Death Note and I have to say [spoiler]I'm glad L kicked the bucket, but sad that Light died.[/spoiler] Sure, I only got to volume 4 but I couldn't get into the story. Altogether, though, [spoiler]I didn't like L but I enjoyed Light, didn't like the cutesy loligoth girl, either.[/spoiler]

Most of the sad deaths I know are manga, since I read more of that than I do watching anime. ^^'

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE="1"]Might as well dredge this up again.

[b]Code Geass[/b]
Despite the fact death is pretty common in this series, I found [spoiler]Euphy's death near the end of the first season[/spoiler] to be very saddening. While she wasn't my favourite character her innocence and selfless kindness, [spoiler]as well desire to build a better world and reunite her fractured family[/spoiler] at the same time made her certainly admirable character in my mind.

Of course the fact that [spoiler]her death was accident, or rather her death was made necessary because of an accident while her relationship with Suzaku was blooming[/spoiler] made it all the more tragic, as was [spoiler]Lelouch's referring to her as "his first love" afterwards.[/spoiler][/SIZE]

There were of course dozens of others, but these ones in particular totally choked me up. Very few times in my life have I cried from deaths in any other media (tv, books, etc), heck.. the last time I remember coming to tears was when Michael Moorcock's "Corum" [spoiler] bit the dust to the woman he loved...or when Elric killed his best friend, and then was immediately killed by his own sword.. [/spoiler]

Deaths that totally had me choked up:

Mahoromatic - [spoiler] Mahoro dying, even though she eventually came back, not only had me in tears, but almost made it so I couldn't watch the end. One of the most loving characters. [/spoiler]

Air TV - [spoiler] Misuzu dying... made me have to turn off my PC/TV, walk away, and take a long nap. I was so choked up, not because I liked the character, but just the pure raw sadness of her situation and end. [/spoiler]

Basilisk - How come nobody has mentioned this? Seriously?! [spoiler] When Gennosuke and Oboro died... I couldn't stop myself from crying. I mean, seriously, that was the most beautiful but sad ending to any anime I've encountered yet. [/spoiler]

Utawarerumono - [spoiler] Let alone the main character's death, Yuzuha finally passing away made me QQ for quite a few days. [/spoiler]

Evangelion - [spoiler] Even though she's realistically alive again, anytime ANYTHING negative happens to Asuka I feel sad, angry, and violent. She's easily one of my favorite anime characters/personalities... so it was almost too much. [/spoiler] Nobody cares about Rei.

D.Gray-man - [spoiler] Suman... Died.... after Allen tried so hard. Please kill Tyki now. [/spoiler]

Wolf's Rain - [spoiler] I mean, come on everyone died. [/spoiler]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I love sad animes! Happy ones make me sick. -_-

Wolf's Rain: [spoiler]Come on! Everybody should cry when Toboe died; that is one of the BEST death scenes I've ever seen! The way they kept drawing out the sadness with the characters all discovering his death and Quent "Pops" Yaiden being all regretful and such. The music during that scene was amazing too, I love "Friends" the song they played with Toboe and Tsume, but they didn't have that other great song with Toboe and all the wolves on the OST. >.< Everyone else's deaths were sad as well, but I didn't care much for Kiba's half-death.[/spoiler]

Elfen Lied: [spoiler]In the anime it has to be Mariko's death, because she was crying and telling her father about her crushed hopes and dreams, and eventually some of her hopes come true when her father finally embraces her and they die together. In the manga it was definately Bando's death, he's my favourite character now so... I've heard rumours about him surviving though. O.O Okay, so the first time he fights Lucy he loses his arm and his eyes. Then he fights her again and he loses his other arm and gets ripped in half, horizontally across his torso... How the Hell do you survive all that?! I've heard that Lucy dies in the end (which seemed inevitable, poor girl), which looks pretty sad as well.[/spoiler]

Escaflowne: [spoiler]Nariya and Eriya's deaths, I like their loyalty in that one.[/spoiler]

Claymore: [spoiler]I like all the claymore girls so far, so I don't have a favourite. All of the claymore girls who die have sad deaths.[/spoiler]

Hellsing: [spoiler]Maxwell's death, since he's another favourite of mine. Alucard seems to be close to death, so that's pretty sad as well.[/spoiler]

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children: [spoiler]Kadaj's death used to get me, but I think I've watched that movie too many times, because now I just don't care...[/spoiler]

Death Note: [spoiler]L and Light's deaths are both pretty sad, they didn't make me cry, but I still pitied them.[/spoiler]

Naruto: [spoiler]The only character I like in that series now is Haku. That's a good death scene too. His loyalty, selflessness, and innocence are perfectly portrayed in this scene. The episodes with Haku in them are my favourite episodes ^.^[/spoiler][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Man. I just watched episode 8 of [B]Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann[/B] yesterday.

[spoiler]RIP, Kamina. It was way too soon. Unfortunately, I can see how it was nessecary to kill him off, but it didn't make it any less depressing. Plus the way it currenty has Simon totally messed up is also kind of sad. Luckily, the scene was handled really well with the Last Hurrah of the Gurren Lagann. Plus his amazing last words made him even cooler in death than he was alive.

"Simon, don't believe in you believing in me. Don't even believe in me believing in you. Believe in your belief in yourself!"

Too bad about Yoko, though. That was really bad timing on both their parts.[/spoiler][/FONT]

[quote name='Aceburner][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Man. I just watched episode 8 of [B]Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann[/B'] yesterday.[/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I find it a little amusing that Conrad actually called this one, back on page one.

If you don't know who I'm talking about, look for the glaring orange typeface.[/FONT]

• 1 month later...
the sadest deaths were from basilisk,[spoiler] hotarubi's [/spoiler]made me cry. i'm not kidding. though i loved [spoiler]tenzens[/spoiler] death. he was the one that made every one fight.[spoiler]yashamaru and Saemon[/spoiler] we sad deaths too. [spoiler]Okoi[/spoiler] was one the first one's that were sad. [COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][INDENT]Like I just explained in the other thread dearz, we have [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=55649"][U]guidelines[/U][/URL] on how to use spoiler tags, I expect you to start using them. ~Indi[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][B]Code Geass R2[/B]
Just finished the raw of the finale and I have to say [spoiler]Lelouch's death near the end[/spoiler] really did cause me to choke up a little. The combination of the music, slow motion, [spoiler]C.C. praying, his falling down almost into Nunally's arms after the final conversation with Suzaku, and the former's realisation of just how much her brother had sacrificed for her and everyone else was just tragic. It sucks really that Lelouch will probably be forever regarded as a monster by the world.[/spoiler]

I will say this though [spoiler]even if you could see his death coming, it's still a better one that Light's in Death Note. Lelouch chose his method and time of death and kept his cool right to the end because he knew he was doing the right thing, he gave the world heroes and a tomorrow.[/spoiler]

...Man I really want to see the subbed version.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Indigo"]
The saddest anime deaths.[spoiler]Well there's the last episode of Chrono Crusade when Chrono and Roseanne(i think that was her name) died. Roseanne was crying and when they died, they were holding hands. the other girl came out and started crying. that was so sad.[/spoiler]

i followed the series 'till the end. well-just the manga. that ending's slightly different.:catgirl:[/COLOR]

• 6 months later...
The first ever anime death I experienced as a young teen and that genuinely made me cry was in Fushigi Yuugi with [spoiler]Nuriko[/spoiler]. My sister and I were literally saying, "It's not fair!" over and over after that.

A more recent incident of "WTF NO FAIR ;_;" was in Code Geass when [spoiler]Shirley gets killed by Rolo. DAMMIT, I loved Shirley. She was probably one of the most likable characters in the entire show, and they frickin' kill her! NOT FAIR. *bawls*[/spoiler]

Oh hay, and let's not forget [spoiler]Lockon[/spoiler] from Gundam 00. [spoiler]He's the first anime guy I've fangirled in a long time, so I had a very special attachment to him. When Ali shot him, I was like, "D:". Literally, mouth agape, just... UGH.[/spoiler] And don't no one bring up any possible spoilers for season 2, I haven't seen it yet. >>

[SIZE="1"]I shall echo Missy's statement with [spoiler]Shirley[/spoiler] from Code Geass. I mean, [spoiler]she's arguably the most realistic character in the series, and just got caught up in a bad loop when she fell in love with Lelouch, who she stayed in love with even when she figured out who he really was. And then, to top it all off, she has her death ruled officially as a suicide, and despite us knowing otherwise, throws the characters [especially her mother, whom I also feel sorry for, losing both her husband AND her only child within a year] that had no idea for a loop. It also cemented Rolo in my book of hatred for the rest of eternity.[/spoiler][/SIZE]

To comment on the previous posts, [spoiler]I actually liked Shirley (even though she looked weak in comparison to most people around her), but I didn't think her death was particularly sad. Let me explain why: it brought one of the best moments of the show. When Lelouch turns to Rolo with a smile and says "...Well done." That was... powerful (same with how he acts with Euphy), and it eclipsed the fact that she was dead. Since all characters in the series serve one purpose - to highlight various facets of the main character - she served hers both in life and in death admirably.[/spoiler]

[i]Clannad: After Story[/i] contains two death scenes which, to this day, still bring tears to my eyes.

[spoiler]The first is with Nagisa's death during childbirth due to her unknown illness.

But the worst is Ushio's death. Bring tissue, because you're going to need it.

While not a "death" per se, I was also moved by Fuko's appearance in [i]Clannad[/i], disturbed by her removal in the credits in [i]After Story[/i], but happy because she wakes up and befriends Ushio.

Note about the ending: Um, yeah. YOU figure it out.[/spoiler]
;)

[spoiler]Nickel's death[/spoiler] in Gundam Seed and [spoiler]Hue's[/spoiler] in Fullmetal Alchemist. Also sad about [spoiler]Moo Laflaga(sp?)[/spoiler] from Gundam Seed, I still cry.[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"][INDENT] I appreciate that you used lighter text, but in the end spoiler tags work best. ^_~ If you're unsure how to use them just edit your post to see the code I replaced the color one with. Thanks! ~Aaryanna[/INDENT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Botar15'][COLOR="DarkGreen"]When they stoped showing Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig. That pissed me off so bad.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Uh, what? You mean on Adult Swim? I saw that in its entirety, all on AS.

Unless you mean a re-run. Which, I can't help you there.[/SIZE]