Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
[FONT=Arial]So, I was watching VH1's recap of this year (my sister didn't want to flip to Pitch Black, and I was in an amiable mood :p), and I saw a new perfume add with Gwen Stefani's signature on it. She's calling it "L", and her marketing symbol is oddly familiar....

[URL=http://www.la-story.com/upload/2007/09/getting_into_the_fall_fragrance_groove_with_recomm/lamb%20fragrance.jpg][COLOR="Blue"][U]Gwen's ad[/U][/COLOR].[/URL]

[URL=http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1419/974496067_d338ad6b36.jpg][COLOR="Blue"][U]Wait. Death Note?[/U][/COLOR][/URL]

So she has a little calligraphy line down the center, and the bottom of her L drips. I do not approve, Gwen.[/FONT]
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
Allamorph, she's just using a similar font, nothing else. XP Honestly that's just silly, the creator of Death Note doesn't have exclusive rights on the letter L or variations of that style of font. Seriously. lol
Posted
[quote name='Avenged666fold']Japanese culture stealing whore...I never did like her.[/quote] Yeah, when an average person obsesses over Japan it's an interest, but when a celebrity does it, it's cultural thievery. Doyyy, Gwen.
Posted
[COLOR="77656"]I love death Note, but I don't see the big deal. It's just an L, it's not like that L was specifically made for Death Ntoe. Come on, I've seen it before I even read the Death Note manga, frigg before I even heard of Death Note.[/COLOR]
Posted
[color=crimson]It is not merely a letter when it is a [b]marketed item[/b] with the name "L" and not merely the letter L. That is a product, with a dumb name, for sale and marketed as such.

The Death Note L, as far as I understand, isn't a product or anything like that. Both Death Note and Gwen might have ripped off the aesthetic look of a medieval L for all I know.

I will say that the moment she stopped doing Ska her talent, personality, and public image turned into maggot ****.[/color]
Posted
[quote name='John']Yeah, when an average person obsesses over Japan it's an interest, but when a celebrity does it, it's cultural thievery. Doyyy, Gwen.[/QUOTE]Meh any reason is a good reason to bash Gwen in my opinion. It doesn't really have to be a logical or reasonable one. DOWN WITH GWEN SHE HATES CHILDREN!
Posted
[quote name='silpheedpilot][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]I think thats just a standard olde english L, guys. Dont' flip a stitch over nothin', haha.[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]
[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Allamorph, she's just using a similar font, nothing else.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Ya, I know. I just like makin' a big deal out of little stuff.

I still don't approve. :p[/FONT]
Posted
[quote name='Avenged666fold']Japanese culture stealing whore...I never did like her.[/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] Oh, please. Because anything used in anime is automatically something of Japanese origin.

Also, this perfume came out, what, several months ago? And it doesn't even smell good.[/font]
Posted
[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]It is just a coincidence that it was used, like everyone else said. The L that is being used is indeed an older English one that could be used for anything. I can understand why you would think that and yes, the timing is interesting considering that Death Note has just recently made its way into the US, but regardless, it is still one of those things that happen.

-Cruiz[/SIZE][/FONT]
Posted
[quote name='Lunox'][font="trebuchet ms"] Oh, please. Because anything used in anime is automatically something of Japanese origin.

Also, this perfume came out, what, several months ago? And it doesn't even smell good.[/font][/QUOTE]
Yea I was joking. And hate mongering against Gwen Stefani...
Posted
[SIZE="1"]Gwen was cool when she was with No Doubt. Now that she has these kitty Asian clowns by her side, her music sucks, and I greatly dislike her.[/SIZE]
Posted
[quote name='Avenged666fold']Yea I was joking. And hate mongering against Gwen Stefani...[/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] Make your jokes seem less Japanophilic, lol. ;)[/font]
Posted
[quote name='Lunox'][font="trebuchet ms"] Make your jokes seem less Japanophilic, lol. ;)[/font][/QUOTE]

Yea I worded that really crappily...I have a tendency to do that. I am no weeabo I swears it!
Posted
[font=Arial]I doubt the L (L.A.M.B.) thing is a coincidence in the light of her Harajuku Lovers line. She definitely has a penchant for Japanese culture.

That said, I think it makes her look foolish, but that's just me.[/font]
Posted
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Ya, I know. I just like makin' a big deal out of little stuff.

I still don't approve. :p[/FONT][/QUOTE]At least you admit it. :p But other than that... I could care less really. And like Lunox said, it doesn't even smell good. Coincidence or not, I don't think it matters. The L won't make the product any better or more appealing. lol[/FONT][/COLOR]
Posted
[size=1]And I say unto you:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0relULkw4QI]Click[/url]

Yeah, I know, not "L" but still. Makes a good point, yea?[/size]
Posted
[quote name='Arispa'][size=1]And I say unto you:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0relULkw4QI]Click[/url]

Yeah, I know, not "L" but still. Makes a good point, yea?[/size][/QUOTE]

That same kinda thing has been done to death. But it's still a good find in relation with the topic.
Posted
[size=1]So, like, no one's ever used someone else's idea before? Like, this is so totally new?! Oh, but don't forget this isn't the first time she's done something outrageous like this before! What about Gwen's vision of Alice? That was pretty wicked, and never been repeated/"used" before. :p

Teasing aside, Gwen's gotten very strange over the past few years. She frightens me sometimes, and her perfume does indeed stink. The "L" she used for her line of BO-smelling perfume de toilet (literally) is just as funky as she is, so what. It's just marketing. I'm so sure that manga/anime doesn't do anything remotely similar.[/size]
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...