OtakuBoards

Would you help someone out?

Rachmaninoff

I like giving money to the homeless. When I visited New York there were a bunch of fellas play all different sorts of music while I waited in line for the Statue of Liberty. I figured they were doing me a favor so I would give em some cash. Even if they aren't playing an instrument or anything I still like to give though. I like to think I am making some level of difference. Even if he does go buy booze that's none of my business. I would volunteer at a soup kitchen or something but...to be perfectly honest I am too lazy for that. Plus if I made some sort of commitment I would probably forget about it.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']I like giving money to the homeless.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I like giving money to registered faith based organizations that have a tendency to help lots of people [if their publicly available spending reports are to be believed] and not just pocket it and go buy crack. I mean cake. How do you expect the homeless to someday be the non-homeless when you're supporting their parasitic lifestyle? It's like training a dog to drool when you ring a bell. Or teaching a rat that the cheese can be obtained by squeaking repeatedly in pain. As you zap them through the floor.

So what am I saying? I suppose it's this:

"If I wanted to loose money, I'd just toss it off a bridge."

Giving money to homeless people is like standing on a balcony over the pit of hell and tossing in damp sponges.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Neuvoxraiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I like giving money to registered faith based organizations that have a tendency to help lots of people and not just pocket it and go buy crack. I mean cake. How do you expect homeless to someday be non homeless when you're supporting their parasitic lifestyle? I mean if I wanted to loose monstrously large amounts of money, I'd just toss it off a bridge.

Giving money to homeless people is like standing on a balcony over the pit of hell and tossing in damp sponges.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
You don't know why their homeless. They could have a drug habit or a drinking habit or life could have severely kicked them in the balls. I trust the homeless person more than I trust any organization. People come up with scam organizations every day. How do you know your money will actually get to these people? Really both of us are using a smidgen of faith here are we not? And to be frank if they wanna waste the money I gave them thats fully and entirely their business.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']You don't know why their homeless. They could have a drug habit or a drinking habit or life could have severely kicked them in the balls. I trust the homeless person more than I trust any organization. People come up with scam organizations every day. How do you know your money will actually get to these people? Really both of us are using a smidgen of faith here are we not? And to be frank if they wanna waste the money I gave them thats fully and entirely their business.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Let's see here. Since I help run the accounts for my father's church, I'm pretty sure that the money donated helps deserving people in need. And yeah, people come up with scam organizations, but I am, to reiterate, relatively sure that 'The Red Cross' and the 'American Diabetes Foundation' aren't out to take my money for giggles.

Want to make a difference and donate something that'll actually do real people real good? Donate a pint or two of blood. Proffer your arm and give up some of the red pretty stuff that's fun to play in.

Also if you really want to trust a crack addict too busy inhaling furious amounts of dick to get a real job, be my guest. But that makes me question your judgement and generally ability to make rational decisions.

And if you casually search for homeless statistics, you'll discover that while 60% [or so] of people are in fact on the street for substance abuse. But then again, with groups like A.A. and N.A., there's plenty of FREE help out there that they aren't accessing. This is perhaps because they're on the street by choice, which is again, another fascinating statistic that's both fun and wacky. There is plenty of help available for homeless people, but some people just like sleeping in gutters. Some people also find fat people sexy. I don't understand it, but I'm not going to do more than just question you for liking to waste money.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Huh well I guess I like to give homeless people drugs then.*shrugs* Giving money to the homeless people asking for it seems like the right thing to do at the time. It's a more of a casual jester of care than a omg let me help you thing. I never really looked up the statistics of homeless people with substance abuse problems. And I never really cared. But now that you told em to me....I think I still am going to give them money if I feel up to it. Call me crazy to think the homeless guy might buy food with the money.

[quote=Rach]Someone stuck with a flat tire.
A lost crying kid in a store.
Someone who is drunk and trying to get into their car and drive home.[/quote]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Depends on if I'm walking or driving. If I'm walking, more than likely I'd help out, but if I'm driving, I'm in my own little world trying to get from point A to point B.

[strike]Kick the child in the mouth to get em to shut up[/strike] I don't know really. The natural thing to do would be to help the child find his/her parents, but grown folks get all iffy about kids... Can't blame them either... All these kidnappings/missing people here in Detroit.. >_>

Let my sister tell it, she'd knock that person out. (if it's one of her friends) This is another I don't know situation for me. Because I tend to stay away from drunks, so I don't know. If it's one of my friends or family members I'd drive them home. (But if they end up getting sick in my car, I'm kicking them on the streets.)

I'm not really much of a nice guy, but I'm not really all that cold-hearted either. I'm not going to risk my neck to save someone from a burning building, but at the same time I'll try to help out in something like a car crash. It really depends on the situation at hand.

When it comes to giving money to the homeless... "shrugs" If I have money, I'll give em something.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Avenged666fold'] In the end this is really a pointless argument you and me are having. Your not gonna stop me from giving money to the homeless directly when I feel like it. The only thing you can do really is make me look ignorant or making me look like an uncaring bastard. So I will go ahead and admit to being both. Oh look you win the fight! Can I go home now?[/QUOTE]The only thing pointless to the argument or rather differing opinions between the two of you was this bit you tacked on here. It wasn't necessary since now you're just being argumentative for no reason at all other than to argue. You stated what you thought and Neuvoxraiha pointed out that she wasn't just tossing stuff out there without some form of knowledge on the subject. So lets leave the snipping out of this.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']The only thing pointless to the argument or rather differing opinions between the two of you was this bit you tacked on here. It wasn't necessary since now you're just being argumentative for no reason at all other than to argue. You stated what you thought and Neuvoxraiha pointed out that she wasn't just tossing stuff out there without some form of knowledge on the subject. So lets leave the snipping out of this.[/QUOTE]

I am trying to end an argument. What is argumentative about that?

[quote name='Avenged666fold']I am trying to end an argument. What is argumentative about that?[/QUOTE]You're missing the point, you didn't have to say anything at all, other than what you did with the first paragraph of that post. The rest was just snipping and a sarcastic response over your perceived view of the other person's intent, which since you are not a mind reader, is pointless. And with that, lets get back on topic please. Further concerns can be addressed via pm.

Guest Talhoino
It would depend on the situation.Like,if someone was being picked on at school,i would probably help,like when i broke this kid's ankle for picking on my friend.:catgirl:But if someone broke their ankle(heh) I don't hae the medical skills to help,so i wouldn't move.

[quote name='Neuvoxraiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]This still begs the question, which you conveniently ignored.

You drop [u]everything.[/u] To help a total [u]stranger.[/u]

Because going to volunteer at soup kitchens is fine, and there's nothing wrong with that, but nowhere in your original post did you mention such things. But if you expect me to believe that if some random stranger asked you to do something for them, besides just lend them change to make a phone call, you'd do it. Even if you were rushing off to see a movie with friends, or visit someone in the hospital, or so on and so forth.

Sorry, but I am having difficulty imagining that.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]If you don't believe me then that is fine. There is nothing I can do to have you believe me other than follow me from a day to day basis but I do not see that happening. I help because I love to. I am not anyone special. I am just me. It is probably hard for you to believe. You said so yourself, that areayou call home has no love for anyone. I see people do these things on a daily basis anyhow. People even helped me.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Japan_86'][SIZE="1"] I am just me. It is probably hard for you to believe. You said so yourself, that areayou call home has no love for anyone. I see people do these things on a daily basis anyhow. People even helped me.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Oh wow. Can you even make that claim with a straight face? Is that how it works? And I never said you weren't you, I said you were difficult to believe.

No. I did not say that the place I lived was called home. I also said at no point that the area I currently live in has no love for anyone. I did say actually that the homeless near where I live do what homeless do everywhere and claim to be veterans without actually served the country. Ever. Where I call home is none of your business, and you calling where I live home is honestly quite laughable.

People give money to homeless people, but it does nothing. It only encourages their behavior. I help people who will actually benefit. Such as a child lost in the supermarket. A woman struggling with her grocery cart. And people have given me a hand, or let me go ahead of them in lines with my basket of eggs and celery when they had a cart full of everything in the bloody store. You have no real call to be claiming that everyone is a mean bastard that doesn't help anywhere where I live.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[B]TO EVERYONE WRITING IN THIS THREAD:[/B]

I think this thread has gotten to be a fight over who's right and who's wrong when really, not everyone is going to agree on this subject. It's not that important on [I]who[/I] gives [I]how[/I]. It's more important to just give. Maybe where you live, the homeless lie, but there's no proof every one in the world lies. Maybe where you live, it's easier to work in a soup kitchen or at an ophanage, but not everywhere has those. Maybe where you live, it's easier to help people you see or know, but there will always be needy strangers. There are billions of ways to help and only a handfull willing to do it. I don't see a reason to argue about [I]ways[/I] people help. I'm just happy that there are people willing to do something with their lives other than take care of themselves. Sometimes that's all you [I]can[/I] do, but for those of us who have more than we could ever need (or use), we should at least take out the time to help someone...anyone.

I'm asking anyone who reads this post to think about what they've been saying throughout this thread and what they've been doing everywhere else. If you've been argueing about whether you're right or not, you should probably realize that people aren't going to listen when you try to force them to see your views. It's easier to say, "You have your views. I have mine," than it is to fight about it. Then again, some people like to start arguements and fights. I don't. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I'm beginning to think all people are trying to do is prove who's right. All Rachmaninoff did was ask if you would help or not. I highly doubt they meant to start all the arguements that have ensued. These 'talks' have gone way past 'constructive discussions'. They've gotten to be forceful people trying to push their ideas on others.

Also, [B]Neuvoxraiha[/B], I really don't think Japan_86 meant any harm by calling where you live your home. Most of the time where people live is their home -- simple misunderstanding. And the way you've been talking about the homeless and others on this thread, it makes it sound like all people are dumb -- the homeless because they have a reason they can't take care of themselves (not all reasons are crack and drinking), and the people who help them because [I]all homeless are bad.[/I] I don't mean to do anything but state my opinion, but what you've been saying makes it sound like no one but you, the [I]official[/I] organizations, and those you see using your help are right. And there are more ways to help people than these three. Giving to the homeless is a way to have faith in someone else whom you'll probably never see again. Some people like this. Others don't. Both ideas are fine, and they both work.

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='yugokitari']All Rachmaninoff did was ask if you would help or not.[/QUOTE]You're correct but at the same time... you're going off on the same tangent you're accusing others of doing as well. At this point, I'm going to remind everyone to get back on topic and quit nitpicking other people's posts apart. Or analyzing them and attempting to play mod. If anyone thinks a post is out of line use the report post button in the top right hand corner of the post please. Otherwise, it's not that hard to answer the original question without the unnecessary expressions of disbelief over what others have said.

As for the actual topic, I work with victims of domestic violence as part of my job so in all honesty once I'm done for the day I'm often too tired to give a damn if someone else is in need. It's tiring and draining at times and I tend to guard my time off for other things. Plus I'm tiny, changing a tire is something I would have a hard time with, believe me I've tried.

For the most part if it's something I can help with and isn't a huge inconvenience I will, otherwise, unless your family or a close friend, it just isn't going to happen. Like the drunken driver scenario, a friend I'd hide the keys, a stranger? I'd let the cops deal with the fool. Though depending on the friend, I just might let the cops deal with them as well.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="77656"]Actually, not to ruin your plans, but I'm already planning on heading to Afghanistan in a few weeks. Sorry if it complicates things.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] For what? Not trying to be mean, I'm actually curious.

In response to the tread: If I ever saw some drunk ******* trying to drive, I'd help him out by punching him in the face.[/font]

[COLOR="77656"][QUOTE]For what? Not trying to be mean, I'm actually curious.

In response to the tread: If I ever saw some drunk ******* trying to drive, I'd help him out by punching him in the face. [/QUOTE]

Umm, to answer the question, I was joking. Anyways I actually agree, if I saw someone attemtping to drive drunk I would do the same, it may seem violant. But one punch would be better than him getting into an accident.

[quote name='Indiff']As for the actual topic, I work with victims of domestic violence as part of my job so in all honesty once I'm done for the day I'm often too tired to give a damn if someone else is in need. It's tiring and draining at times and I tend to guard my time off for other things. Plus I'm tiny, changing a tire is something I would have a hard time with, believe me I've tried. [/quote]

My grandma is shorter than me, she's less than 4 foot 9. And I think she's changed a tire before. It must suck to hear about domestic violence cases that are sad, like teh death of a little gilr because of an abusive father, that kind of thing. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="77656"]My grandma is shorter than me, she's less than 4 foot 9. And I think she's changed a tire before. It must suck to hear about domestic violence cases that are sad, like teh death of a little gilr because of an abusive father, that kind of thing. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]Well I'm all of 4'11" and about 110 lbs. Now add that to a truck where parts were rusted? I swear that I could not get the damn things to budge. lol So my boyfriend ended up doing it, but hey, it was his truck anyway.

And yes, I've seen some pretty serious and sad stuff from people who come to the crisis center. Women and children so battered that it was a wonder they were even alive. I don't mind helping them since that's what I'm in school learning how to do, but beyond that? Most of the time I don't. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]So I was going to post something along the lines of "Wow, don't you ever try to tell me that I'm mean spirited and hate all homeless people" when it came to me. I am mean spirited. I tend to view almost all homeless people as a blight on society.

Since it's appearing to be a theme, what to do with people too drunk to drive? Punching in the face is good, but usually that hurts your hand. Especially if you've got smaller hands like me. So I tend to use good old steel toed boots. Just kidding. I hear they're calling that assault and battery now.

But I do I have friends who get drunk on a regular basis and end up drawing on the friends who passed out. Granted I tend to not hang out with them much, and when I do, I usually pass around a hat that people are required to toss their car keys into. It cuts down on upsetting phonecalls the next day.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]Wow. We like devolving into shouting matches around here, don't we?

First the original case-specific prompts:

Tire? Eeengh. I'd want to, but when I'm driving somewhere, which is the only time I'm actually in a position to see a person with a flat tire, I'm usually on a completely unforgiving deadline, and so I can't typically help. Also, if it's a Toyota on the side of the road, I keep driving. Toyotas never break down. Ever.

Lost kid? Probably. Unfortunately, the tendency for people to scream [strike]wolf[/strike] child molester is rather high, so the most I'd safely be able to do would be to notify one of the nearest staff members to the child's predicament and return with them. It irritates me that I can't just say "Hi" to a kid without people potentially wigging out, but what have you. Stupid reactionary culture.

Drunk person trying to drive? No. Ye gods, no. I'll be hindering them as much as possible, and shepherding them to a sober person's car. That is, provided I'm ever in that situation. I don't come into a lot of contact with drunk people, considering.

As for other situations not covered by that, it depends on the situation [I]and[/I] if I can sense honest motives.[/FONT]

[color=crimson]Where the hell were half of you when I was changing a tire in a rainstorm half a year ago?

I help when I can if my particular skills are useful. Actually helped find a kid once in a store. I encourage Rai's free will, but, using my own, I have given money to the homeless who seemed genuinely needy. Panhandlers are a funny diversion, but a show not worth paying for. Donated money a couple of times to Christians in parking lots even though I am an agnostic, lol. Helped a few people move due to my anti-Indifference levels of height (6'4").

Do what you can, when you can.

Rai is not mean spirited. She specifically tells anyone who wants to read it earlier in this thread examples of the help she gives to who she wants to. Combative, but not mean spirited. [/color]

According to most sociological theorists, people tend not to help in most passerby situations because they believe someone else will. What happens if everyone believes someone else is going to step in and help and then no one ends up doing so? I've always kept that in mind when I see someone in need of any kind of help. I guess it's also that do unto others as you would have etc. way of thinking.

For example, when I first moved up to New York City, I got horribly ill one evening when on my way back to my apartment. I ended up getting really disoriented and went into the subway - Where I then proceeded to profusely vomit over the tracks and lose pretty much all comprehension. Some woman actually lifted me up, found me a bag to throw up in, got me on my train and stayed with me until my stop. Keep in mind, the train she was meant to be on was going in the complete opposite direction, so she went about eight stops out of her way. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if she had not come along.

I would like to think if I ever saw someone in such a situation, that instead of walking away thinking "...Gross" or even assuming that they'd make it home safe - I'd actually do what I could to help that person home. Trust me, it sucks to be throwing up and blind in a subway at night. I definitely appreciated the help from that woman, and I'm sure someone would appreciate my help in such a situation.

I have to agree with Raiha, based on firsthand experience.

Once you have to go into the city on a regular basis and deal with a bevy of homeless people harrassing you and trying to hustle you for money, you learn that about 99 percent of them are not worth helping at all. Your fairy tale outlook on helping those in need becomes refined by street smarts and common sense. After a while, you start to see how the homeless operate. Instead of going to the local shelter and abiding by the shelter's rules, they will opt to work the streets and con people. They'll start low, asking you for a quarter. Should you make the foolish mistake of producing a quarter, they'll really only need fifty cents and then you know, it'd be [i]great[/i] if you had a dollar.

I also love when it's freezing out and I want to get a hot chocolate at the donut shop, but cannot because a wall of homeless people are standing in front of the door accosting customers for money.

Very rarely will I give a stranger money that I have worked for. My gut has to tell me that they are sincere.

Working in a soup kitchen, as Japan suggested, is a better alternative to helping homeless people. Giving scum money to waste on drugs and alcohol is not really helping anyone as much as it is contributing to a bigger problem.