OtakuBoards

What Classic Books wouldn't you mind seeing an Anime version of?

onenuttytanuki

With such classics as Count of Monte Cristo and Rome and Juliet having been made into Anime. What in your opinon would make an interesting Anime or at least a nice spring board for an Anime?

The main one that sticks out in my mind is William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelfth_Night[/url]

Reasons:
- mistaken idenities leading to grave/ yet comical misunderstanings.
- comedic plans of playback
- Crossplaying
- Loves which can't be express till the very end.
- A cast of characters that wouldn't be out of place in a romanic comedy anime.

Although Charles Dicken's Great Expections would be interesting to see too.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An anime version of Orign of Species? I don't know why but I'd probably watch it. It would really depend on the Animation studio.

Call of Cthulhu or something else by H.P. Lovecraft. I mean there is enough Animes out there with Lovecraftian themes why not some based on his writings. Come on couldn't be any worse than the AIP Films from the 60's/70's.

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="1234"]Charles Darwin's Origin of Species. Why? I mean, come on![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Watching a a paramecium turn into a human being over the course of a couple billion years doesn't seem all that interesting to me. But whatever boats your float.

[QUOTE]Call of Cthulhu or something else by H.P. Lovecraft. I mean there is enough Animes out there with Lovecraftian themes why not some based on his writings. Come on couldn't be any worse than the AIP Films from the 60's/70's.[/QUOTE]I was gonna say that then I realized that I didn't even read that book I just heard the metallica song. So I decided not to mention it.

[B]Orson Scott Card's [I]Ender's Game[/I][/B]

If they never get around to doing a live action american film, I think an anime would be suitable. Supposedly a film is being done, but I just can't buy that yet. With the main character going from 5 years old to mid-teens, it might be most believable in an animated or fully CG format. Plus, all the Battle Room sequences could be handled really well that way. But, God, I really want a live action film that Card has a direct hand in. That would be amazing.

[quote name='Aceburner']Okay, this just occurred to me, but Three Musketeers has Shonen written all over it. Swords, French guys in frilly costumes, cute girls, awesome villain, it has everything. I demand an animated series. Someone make it happen.[/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] [url="http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,2088,gwohtn,three_musketeer.html"][u]:D[/u][/url]

Not really a "classic", but [i]Kafka on the Shore[/i] might make a good anime if done right. Big if, though. [strike]And basically any metaphysical novel with magical realism, lol.[/strike] [/font]

[SIZE="2"]Two books that I love:

The Portrait of Dorian Gray- In anime form would probably be like Death Note. It has pretty much nothing but dialogue, but it BLEEDS suspense and mystery.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court- If for no other reason than to see how Japanese show makers would do it. Unexplained time travel and duping a whole country ito following you are great story elements. Not to mention one of the weirdest ending battles of all time.[/SIZE]

Or maybe one of Brian Jacque's Redwall books. Who doesn't love sword-wielding mice?

[quote name='Aceburner']I love you.

No, seriously. That's a really good idea. I love Redwall.[/QUOTE]

Okaaaaaay. Anyways the only reason I mentioned it was because the original english series had some serious flaws to it, namely Cornflower being John Churchmouse's daughter. That would mean that Mattimeo married his aunt Tess. Sickening.

We can only pray that anime creators heed our wishes.

[quote name='Inculta_Bellum'][SIZE="2"]

Or maybe one of Brian Jacque's Redwall books. Who doesn't love sword-wielding mice?[/QUOTE]

My votes would be for Taggerung, High Rhulain, Euilia, or the original Redwall and Mattimeo combined. It couldn't be any worse than Animated series that ran on PBS.

Ok, I know it's not a classic , Regina's Song would be interesting.

If I didn't think there was to much Vampire Anime, I'd say Anita Blake, but the earlier works before it was basically who was with who.

The Giver, now that would be a book that would interesting to see as an anime.

[quote name='onenuttytanuki']My votes would be for Taggerung, High Rhulain, Euilia, or the original Redwall and Mattimeo combined. It couldn't be any worse than Animated series that ran on PBS.[/QUOTE]

High Rhulain was kind of lackluster for me after getting Racketty Tam the year before. Gulo was amazing. Haven't read this year's installment yet. If it happened, they'd probably start with either Redwall, Mossflower or Martin the Warrior, though Taggerung would indeed be awesome.

[quote name='onenuttytanuki']
The Giver, now that would be a book that would interesting to see as an anime.[/QUOTE]
Grr, you beat me to it. :p Although I prefer to see him do original concepts (rather than adaptations), The Giver would make an amazing Satoshi Kon movie. And I'd kill to see Makoto Shinkai tackle something by Haruki Murakami.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger'] And I'd kill to see Makoto Shinkai tackle something by Haruki Murakami.

[/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] Really? I really didn't enjoy any of his films, and I have a feeling he'd mess up (to be blunt) Murakami, too. I feel sort of lame saying this, but I think Miyazaki would be awesome at translating Murakami, especially visually.

I actually think Satoshi Kun would do better at Murakami, and [i]The Giver[/i] is another novel I think is better to leave alone. I'm very defensive about books sometimes, lol, because I was about to mention any works by Gabriel Garcia Marquez but the things that could go wrong horrify me. But if done well... it'd be pretty kickass.

[/font]

Yeah, I could see Satoshi Kon fitting with the more surreal Murakami stuff like Hard-Boiled Wonderland or After Dark, but I can't think of anyone better than Shinkai for Norwegian Wood (which I guess is what I unconsciously was thinking of, haha). If you didn't like Shinkai's work, it was probably because of the writing... which is exactly why he should try his hand at adaptations for a change. Let someone else's words be carried by his genius for light and scenery.

Speaking of which, Moonlight Shadow (the novella that's included with most English editions of Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen) is something else that would go beautifully with Shinkai's style.

~Dagger~

Terry Brooks: The Sword of Shannara would look pretty sweet as an anime. or any of her other series too. unless a cooler version of Lord of the Rings is not original enough to be an anime worthy project.

Christopher Moore's: A Dirty Job or Bloodsucking Fiends would make great movies. anime or not I would love to see a movie adaptation of those books. They are hysterical, have a solid plot, the screenplay and script would have to be beefed up or rather dulled down to suit Hollywood's need.

[FONT=Arial]I call a hearty Second to O.S. Card and Terry Brooks.

[U]The Phantom Tolbooth[/U]. Very metaphorical, very nonsensical. That or [U]The Forgotten Door[/U], which would make a very good short series.

I had some others in mind, but I can't remember them now.....[/FONT]

The writings of Ray Bradbury done in the style of the 1980s/90s tv. show. Where each episode is an adapation of one short story or a larger story over a few episodes.
With some many short stories like Fog Horn , Besides a Dinosaur, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Sound of Thunder, and I Sing The Body Electric to choose from it would make for an interesting series. Fahrenheit 451, Martian Chronicles, Something wicked this way comes, and Dandelion Wine / Farewell Summer would work well as their own sepreate series or told over a few episodes each.

My personal picks/ and reasons outside of having read them.

Fog Horn: I've seen comic adapations and the 1950's movie that was inspired by it ( not to mention a certain Japanese monster.).

Sound of Thunder: Comic Adapations were good to fair depending, the live action movie was awful, and don't recall having the chance of seeing the T..V. versions (outside of the Simpson's Treehouse of Horror V segment parody).

I Sing The Body Electric: The action versions were good. But this story could almost be an Anime OVA.

Also I'm just going to go ahead say the works of H.G. Wells, Harlan Elison, August Derleth, and Robert Howard,

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]I call a hearty Second to O.S. Card and Terry Brooks.

[U]The Phantom Tolbooth[/U]. Very metaphorical, very nonsensical. That or [U]The Forgotten Door[/U], which would make a very good short series.

I had some others in mind, but I can't remember them now.....[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"]The pictures in [u]The Phantom Tollbooth[/u] made me envision everything in that style. I feel like I'm ragging on everything here, lol, but I've never seen an anime pull off the kind of quirk that stuff like [u]The Phantom Tollbooth[/u] or Raold Dahl books have. It feels like everything would be too serious or too absurd if made into an anime.[/font]