OtakuBoards

What Classic Books wouldn't you mind seeing an Anime version of?

onenuttytanuki

[quote name='Lunox'][font="trebuchet ms"]The pictures in [u]The Phantom Tollbooth[/u] made me envision everything in that style. I feel like I'm ragging on everything here, lol, but I've never seen an anime pull off the kind of quirk that stuff like [u]The Phantom Tollbooth[/u] or Raold Dahl books have. It feels like everything would be too serious or too absurd if made into an anime.[/font][/QUOTE]
Give it to the French! :animesmil

Not that I know a lot about French animation (I should watch more) but The Triplets of Belleville has the right sort of mood to it, I think. I could imagine The Phantom Tollbooth coming out well if it were handled by a similar team.

~Dagger~

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Lunox][font="trebuchet ms"']It feels like everything would be too serious or too absurd if made into an anime.[/font][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I feel that the absurdity would only heighten the effect of the metaphors. :animesmil

I mean, just take the scene with the boy who's point of view never changed, or Illusion and Reality, or even the cast jumping to Conclusions.

Studio Ghibli might be a great pick for that, come to think of it....[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT="Arial"]
Look, if the Bible can be put into manga form, then surely [I]this[/I]....[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] When did this happen? I must read it immediately. I can imagine it now...

[img]http://xs124.xs.to/xs124/08062/jesusmaryanime2303.png[/img]

[/font]

I agree wholeheartedly for Ender's Game making a good anime and Redwall seems like it would be a perfect fit. I would like to see an anime of any LOTR-ish book just to see a different take on modern western fantasy but it could easliy be disapointing the fans of the books if it wasnt done just right .

[quote name='Ender Wiggin']I would like to see an anime of any LOTR-ish book just to see a different take on modern western fantasy but it could easliy be disapointing the fans of the books if it wasnt done just right .[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Like that disgusting cartoon of The Hobbit.

Gah.[/FONT]

[quote name='Lunox'][font="trebuchet ms"] [spoiler]Complete horror?[/spoiler][/font][/QUOTE]

Yes. :animesmil

On a more serious note, uh... [b]Neuromancer[/b] would probably be pretty kickass, since most everything cyberpunk has its lineage from that lol.

[quote name='Lunox][font="trebuchet ms"] [spoiler]Complete horror?[/spoiler'][/font][/quote]
[FONT="Arial"][spoiler]Á la Mistah Kurtz? =P[/spoiler]

Not a classic yet, but maybe [I][U]The Dresden Files[/U][/I]. I know Sci-Fi gave it a go as a series, but it could potentially rock as an anime.[/FONT]

Things don't usually translate very well from East to West, think 4Kids . . .:animedepr

I haven't seen it yet, but Japan rated Goro Miyazaki's adaptation of the Earthsea novels as the worst movie of the year. This bodes ill for good anime based on good books. I'm not trying to say that it can't be done, but I am saying that the anime producers have to love the material as much as we do in order to make a good adaptation.

I remember Fairenheit 451 from English. Wouldn't making it an anime defeat the purpose of 'protect books, moving pictures make you zombies'?

[QUOTE]Things don't usually translate very well from East to West, think 4Kids . . .[/QUOTE]

I disagree with that. 4kids translates kids shows from other countries just fine into kids shows fit for the U.S.

Oh and think of all the things that have come from the east.

Asian Food as a whole translates great into western culture.

Asian Horror movies(mostly of Japanese decent) translate pretty well.

Then of course there is dubbed anime...which is the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't watch it if it wasn't dubbed into my language.

Then of course there are various clothing lines from Japan that became hugely popular here(Bape and Evisu for example).

My final example is Asian martial art flicks...they have become a part of western culture and new American made genres even emerged from it.

[COLOR="Indigo"]I'm thinking [B]A Little Princess[/B] would make for an interesting anime as well as [B]The Secret Garden[/B]. Yes they made [B]Sōkō no Strain[/B] which was loosely based upon Frances Hodgson Burnett's novels, most notably[I] A Little Princess[/I], but also [I]Little Lord Fauntleroy[/I] and [I]The Secret Garden[/I]. But I'd rather see them separated out and done true to the original story lines, something [B]Sōkō no Strain[/B] most definitely does not do. I mean seriously, mecha does NOT fit either one of the books I mentioned in any respect at all.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Panache']I disagree with that. 4kids translates kids shows from other countries just fine into kids shows fit for the U.S. [/QUOTE]

I'm afraid I'm going to have to stab you to death with a spatula over the above utterance.

That's not to say that other dubbing companies can't pull stuff off just fine, It's just that they strip away what makes the shows popular, put horrible pun-filled dialogue in and hire voice can't-actors like Jason Griffith and still expect to make money.

[quote name='Aceburner']I'm afraid I'm going to have to stab you to death with a spatula over the above utterance.

That's not to say that other dubbing companies can't pull stuff off just fine, It's just that they strip away what makes the shows popular, put horrible pun-filled dialogue in and hire voice can't-actors like Jason Griffith and still expect to make money.[/QUOTE]
That's subjective. I think if I were a seven year old most of the stuff they do work on would suit me just fine. I mean if your a pretentious 7 year old...goddammit you should be listening to classical music and reading novels by now not being overly critical of cartoons.

[quote name='Panache']That's subjective. I think if I were a seven year old most of the stuff they do work on would suit me just fine. I mean if your a pretentious 7 year old...goddammit you should be listening to classical music and reading novels by now not being overly critical of cartoons.[/QUOTE]

All I know is when I have kids, they are NOT growing up on stuff I can't stomach watching with them.

[quote name='Aceburner']All I know is when I have kids, they are NOT growing up on stuff I can't stomach watching with them.[/QUOTE] Err then I guess your kids are gonna have to play outside...a lot.

Most of the kid's shows now are ****ing mind numbing for adults...and hell it was the same 10 years ago.(spongebob anyone?)

I know this because my mom watched a whole episode of DBZ with me once and told me I a have terrible tastes in shows...but y'know I was like 8 so I didn't give a ****. All I knew is energy blasts=awesome.

[quote name='Panache']Most of the kid's shows now are ****ing mind numbing for adults...and hell it was the same 10 years ago.(spongebob anyone?)[/QUOTE]

Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain
Freakazoid
Hysteria (Educational, too!)
Tiny Toons
Batman TAS
Looney Toons reruns
Etc.

BACK ON TOPIC:

The Time Machine. I'd love to see how Miyazaki or a similar mind reimagines the fun little critters of the future.

I just started reading H.P. Lovecraft's Dreams of Terror and Death. Man...that would be an anime full of win. I think it would be great in the guys who created the animatrix dealt with the storyline itself and transitioning it to anime form. Then of course Madhouse would have to animate it...because madhouse is ****ing awesome.

@Ace you know adults that watch those shows on a regular basis(you watch those shows on a regular basis?)? I guess those must be really deep profound mature shows with hidden meanings throughout and great revelations weaved throughout the fart jokes.

[quote name='indifference][COLOR="Indigo"][B]The Secret Garden[/B'][/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial][I][U][B]Yes.[/B][/U][/I]

I'd forgotten about that one. Wow. Thank you.

[quote name='Panache']@Ace you know adults that watch those shows on a regular basis(you watch those shows on a regular basis?)? I guess those must be really deep profound mature shows with hidden meanings throughout and great revelations weaved throughout the fart jokes.[/quote]
Speaking of maturity....

But no, dude. Playing outside is [I]awesome[/I]. I don't know what your deal is. :p I mean, at that age I remember being given the choice between television and outside, and I usually went and played around the fig tree, or dug somewhere. (It was [I]supposed[/I] to be to China, but I was using a dinner spoon. :p)

And the only shows I watched regularly then were Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, Sesame Street (to an extent, since they covered a lot of the same stuff mostly), Where In The World is Carmen Sandiego?, and some of the stuff on Nick, like Legends of the Hidden Temple.

Oh, and American Gladiator. Which is back. :animesmil[/FONT]

[quote name='Panache']

Asian Food as a whole translates great into western culture.

Asian Horror movies(mostly of Japanese decent) translate pretty well. [/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"]
How has Asian food as a whole translated well into western culture? Because 1) you can't count "Panda Express", and 2) the only other "authentic" food many Americans eat is sushi, which most of the time sucks if it's made by American-owned companies.

And after [i]The Ring[/i], the Japanese copy-cat movies all sort of sucked.

I'm going to agree with the statement that things don't translate well from East to West, but not in the sense that I think dubs are bad. There are cultural differences and distinct characteristics in Japanese literature and media that cannot be translated by western artists (and vice versa). There are exceptions, and there are good "fusions" (i.e. [i]Kill Bill[/i]), but for the most part I think it'd be a bad project for an anime company to translate [i]The Great Gatsby[/i], a very American novel, into an anime. I know I sound elitist, but I would absolutely hate to see [i]Slaughterhouse-Five[/i] or [i]Adventures of Huckleberry Finn[/i] be turned into anime.

The one novel I thought would be a good translation into anime ([i]Kafka by the Shore[/i]) was written by Murakami Haruki, and his novels sort of scream "anime" at some points, because that novel has the subtle magical realism and metaphysical visualizations that would translate very well into anime. Not western animation, but Japanese animation.

Of course my argument uses generalizations, and there are always exceptions, but on the whole, I'd say most creative artists would have a hard time translating east/west media. Even Miyazaki's [i]Howl's Moving Castle[/i] was sub-par to me, whereas his original creations soared. Using the basis of different texts as significant influences is great, but to make adaptations...eh.

And actually, this only really applies to the works that are most greatly described as "American" or "Japanese". And it's hard to talk about the gray area concerning that, so I'm going to stop now. lol
[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font="trebuchet ms"] I'm going to agree with the statement that things don't translate well from East to West, but not in the sense that I think dubs are bad. There are cultural differences and distinct characteristics in Japanese literature and media that cannot be translated by western artists (and vice versa). There are exceptions, and there are good "fusions" (i.e. [i]Kill Bill[/i]), but for the most part I think it'd be a bad project for an anime company to translate [i]The Great Gatsby[/i], a very American novel, into an anime. I know I sound elitist, but I would absolutely hate to see [i]Slaughterhouse-Five[/i] or [i]Adventures of Huckleberry Finn[/i] be turned into anime.[/font][/QUOTE]

I've recently become fine with Anime dubs. If the show has content that would make sense translated, I'm all for it. I wasn't like this a while ago when the only dub I was constantly exposed to was 4Kids One Piece, but I personally think that FUNimetal Alchemist is actually better than the original.

They made Tom Sawyer into an Anime, by the way. I pretty much die a little inside every time I come across a clip.

I kind of preferred the Howl's Moving Castle anime movie to the book, though...

[QUOTE]They made Tom Sawyer into an Anime, by the way. I pretty much die a little inside every time I come across a clip.[/QUOTE]Please tell me they played the rush song to go with it.

[QUOTE]I kind of preferred the Howl's Moving Castle anime movie to the book, though...[/QUOTE] I never read the book and I thought it was pretty much equal to any other Miyazaki flick except the animation was bumped up a tad.

[QUOTE]Speaking of maturity....[/QUOTE]
It's Overrated :)

[QUOTE]But no, dude. Playing outside is awesome. I don't know what your deal is. I mean, at that age I remember being given the choice between television and outside, and I usually went and played around the fig tree, or dug somewhere. (It was supposed to be to China, but I was using a dinner spoon. )[/QUOTE] Fake sword fights with sticks=awesome.