OtakuBoards

Signature increase for Anime Planet

Gecko

Eh, I don't think they are just "noisy statboxes" (especially since you can also have it display your top 5 anime or currently watcihng... besides, you can choose your BG and design that as artistic as you want ;) mine is boring because, well, I suck at graphics XD

Again saying this not because I made those sigs, but what I've seen in some forum is dimensions that take images by themselves differently than images with text. So for example, you can have a sig x pixels high period (say, 150), which can be a combination of just text, text + images, or just images, as long as they stay within the set total height. Some people choose to put 7 lines of text, others one tall image, etc.

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]You forget the compounding factor. Ten, and ten more, and ten more.......

It rounds easily up to large numbers. Plus, again, we just increased the dimensions a short while ago, so I doubt another one will come this quickly.

And yes, I get what you're talking about, but that just seems too much distracting, unnecessary information. Yes, granted, it's constantly updating, but still. I like looking at the artistic talents more than a noisy statbox. (Not to mention a statbox which I feel serves no purpose.)[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I couldn't disagree more, I think my A-P sig is the best sig I could have ever asked for. It's helpful for offering people recommendations and besides just plain fun to have in your sig. And artisticallity is still there because of your sig image - for instance mine has a pic from my favorite anime next to a list of my top 5. That's pretty much the summary of my whole existence.

And man, I can't believe I'm still hearring crap about that sig I used! It was a quote from a video that made me laugh nonstop for 5 minutes, I just thought others would find it funny![/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='2008DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]And man, I can't believe I'm still hearring crap about that sig I used! It was a quote from a video that made me laugh nonstop for 5 minutes, I just thought others would find it funny![/COLOR][/QUOTE]Well I can't believe you thought it was funny so I'd say we're about even. ^_~ But that's besides the point other than people's ideas of cluttered, or to big or whatever in regards to signatures is quite different. Which is what I was getting at.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]You forget the compounding factor. Ten, and ten more, and ten more.......

It rounds easily up to large numbers. Plus, again, we just increased the dimensions a short while ago, so I doubt another one will come this quickly.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

The maximum standard posts per page is 15. That's 150px spread across the entire height of the page. It's barely noticeable at all.
And if anyone has set to more posts per page then that person obviously doesn't care or mind that the page gets [u]slightly[/u] longer.

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]And yes, I get what you're talking about, but that just seems too much distracting, unnecessary information. Yes, granted, it's constantly updating, but still. I like looking at the artistic talents more than a noisy statbox. (Not to mention a statbox which I feel serves no purpose.)[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Well why should I care if you like it?... Signatures are great coz we can customize them and put whatever we like. I like my siggy and am proud of it's stats (even if they are meager compared to other members at A-P :P). Whether you like it or not shouldn't matter the slightest.

And you forget we choose our own backgrounds in the signatures. So there is "Artistic Talent", since I could just as easily paint a Picasso if I wanted it to, and place it as my background in the siggy.

I think the current signature limits are adequate. Creatively, I find that I have more than enough space to do what i want, and make it look good.

I don't really care much for statboxes that amount to little more than "look what I'm watching" displays. Sure, some members [I]might [/I]find them useful, but I don't really pay attention to them.

I don't think OB should re-size it's limits because of one dynamic singature size, considering most would fall under the current limits.

[quote name='Gecko']A signature dedicated to the pure enjoyment of all anime, and the viewers pride in what they've seen does, since Otakus are Anime fans. Gamers and Book readers signatures have nothing to do with Otaku Board, Anime lovers do.[/quote][size=1]Actually, the Otaku in OtakuBoards means that you are a big fan (read: geek, nerd or enthusiast) of something, not specifically anime or manga. OtakuBoards started out as a gaming community under a different name if I remember correctly. Later it became more anime focused with several different forums for it, but now it's back to one forum in a category with music, movies and gaming.

So actually, I have to disagree on that gamer profiles and the likes have a lot less to do with OtakuBoards than some banner where you can see how much anime someone's watched.

[quote name='Gecko']Whether you like it or not shouldn't matter the slightest.[/quote]
I think OtakuBoards is democratic enough to make it matter slightly what the community thinks.[/size]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I guess at the end of the day it's not a question of a slippery slope for me. No, I don't believe that an extra 10 pixels of height will lead to a dark future where all banners will be 1,000 pixels tall and 7 million pixels wide.

I personally don't really care either way, but if anything I'd be inclined to keep things as they are for now. I think our upper limits for banners are large enough, frankly. If anything I'm more likely to add width to banners rather than height (given the nature of a forum layout, where height is probably more detrimental to people's ability to view posts clearly).

I guess ultimately if I add ten pixels for one type of random image script...that's cool. But then someone will say "But [i]my[/i] random image script needs another 20! You did it for that guy, why not me?!"

I mean we're never going to please everyone. My suggestion is to either a) find a random image siggy that works with OB or b) use a different signature here than on your other forum. Easy solved, really.

We've had plenty of people who have used these types of scripts before (i.e. with music libraries and stuff) without any issue. So I'm sure there are plenty out there that will be of the appropriate size. :catgirl:[/font]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]I guess at the end of the day it's not a question of a slippery slope for me. No, I don't believe that an extra 10 pixels of height will lead to a dark future where all banners will be 1,000 pixels tall and 7 million pixels wide.

I personally don't really care either way, but if anything I'd be inclined to keep things as they are for now. I think our upper limits for banners are large enough, frankly. If anything I'm more likely to add width to banners rather than height (given the nature of a forum layout, where height is probably more detrimental to people's ability to view posts clearly).

I guess ultimately if I add ten pixels for one type of random image script...that's cool. But then someone will say "But [i]my[/i] random image script needs another 20! You did it for that guy, why not me?!"

I mean we're never going to please everyone. My suggestion is to either a) find a random image siggy that works with OB or b) use a different signature here than on your other forum. Easy solved, really.

We've had plenty of people who have used these types of scripts before (i.e. with music libraries and stuff) without any issue. So I'm sure there are plenty out there that will be of the appropriate size. :catgirl:[/font][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Ah, I see where you're coming from, and I'm not arguing back, though I will say that it would defeat the point, as I personally would only be using the A-P signature because I, uh, love the site and am trying to spread the word about it (it's becoming even more of a home for me than OB, haha) but yeah, Im only one guy, and one generally disliked guy at that, lol.

When it comes to increasing the banner size for this random occasion, I think it's more than obvious that anyone else who jumps out of the blue asking for it is going to be shot down anyway - OB is not a democracy, it is all pretty much in your hands, James, so what thou does't on a whim none may question, right? Just saying, don't feel bad about splurging a your leisure ~_^[/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]I think the best solution here is for the A-P signatures to be made available in multiple sizes. And I'm not just saying this because I don't think we should ever increase the max image size here at OB. A lot of the most popular image scripts like this that I've seen come in a variety of sizes, to suit both different signature restrictions and size preferences. People like options and the sigs are more likely to be used if people can pick from different designs and sizes to suit their tastes.

For example, even the small tweak as in my mock-up below, where I removed the top black bar and reworked the URL/user name line, makes the signature a lot more appealing to me. And, incidentally, it also now fits within our size limit.[/color]

[center][img]http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/9700/ap500x116conceptpn3.jpg[/img][/center]

[quote name='Gecko']And the 10px ruining thing... Well I really don't know what to say to that. To me, it sounds very very stupid. No offence. 10 pixels is like the equivelent of 1 linebreak ó_Ò[/QUOTE]
[color=black][size=1]Why go through all the hassle? You refuse to take anyones suggestions into consideration, and just continue to bang on about how you can't see what the big problem is. It's not exactly the greatest thing in the world, nor does anyone generally care how much anime you've watched.[/color][/size]

[quote name='femme fatale'][color=black][size=1]And so are for you asking a forum to change solely for the one signature. I mean why go through all the hassle? It's not exactly the greatest thing in the world, nor does anyone generally care how much anime you've watched.[/color][/size][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Let's keep clear of personal insults, okay? Saying that you think an idea is stupid and saying that another person is stupid are two different things. Any more posts falling under the second category will be deleted.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]
For example, even the small tweak as in my mock-up below, where I removed the top black bar and reworked the URL/user name line, makes the signature a lot more appealing to me. And, incidentally, it also now fits within our size limit.[/color]

[center][img]http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/9700/ap500x116conceptpn3.jpg[/img][/center][/QUOTE]

That's cool. Now anyone who wants to use that sig can adopt Desbreko's mod. It doesn't look too far different from the original either.

Don't say they ain't looking out for ya. ^_^;

[quote name='ZeitGeist']That's cool. Now anyone who wants to use that sig can adopt Desbreko's mod. It doesn't look too far different from the original either.

Don't say they ain't looking out for ya. ^_^;[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]That's just a mock-up to suggest a possible design change. It's a static image and won't dynamically update like the real ones. To make it actually work sothis would have to edit the image generation script on Anime-Planet.

My point was simply that there's a lot that can be done with different sizes and designs for the signatures, both to allow them to fit within different size limits and to give people more choices. And I think that's a much better solution than making only one size and expecting other sites' rules to conform to it.[/color]

Well, I did say in my first post that we plan on having different image sizes eventually. :) Also, kind of harsh about the "expecting other sites to conform to it" - I didn't pick an arbitrary giant size and then go lobby sites to deal with it :p I tried to pick a size that fit all of the major anime sites' guidelines, and I've also made it pretty clear here that I never expected special treatment (I only found out about this cause a user pointed it out to me - but I've never posted in an attempt to get you guys to change your rules).

Your rules stand here - they shouldn't change on my account, and I don't want them to unless you decide to. :) Never had any other stance.

[color=#4B0082]Indeed, I was referring to Gecko's posts rather than yours, sothis. I realize you haven't been arguing for us to change our limits and that you mentioned different sizes being in the works. Sorry if my post was a little confusing.[/color]