OtakuBoards

Signature increase for Anime Planet

Gecko

Hi,
A very cool website called Anime Planet has this cool feature were it makes and updates a special signature for you. On the signature you can have a background of your choice and it shows some information about you as an anime fan/otaku. Among the things it shows about you is how much of your life has been spent on anime. It's pretty darn cool. You can also choose to have it show either how much anime you've seen (in a list of "Watched" "Watching" "Want to Watch" "Stalled" "Dropped" and "Won't Watch"), or a list of your top 5 anime. Possibly some other info, not sure. Anyway, these signatures are stored on the sites server and have size of 500x130 px size. But the max siz for a signature on the Otaku Boards is 500x120. The 120 is the height and I don't think it would harm the site if the minimum would be increased by 10 px so that some of us proud A-P:ers can use out signatures.

Best Wishes,
Me

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]lol, I thought of making this exact same request because I work for anime-planet, and since there''s probably little chance I can get them to reduce the size of their sigs, it would be nicce if OB did the increasing however, I doubt they'll go about doing it just for this lol.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Gecko']But the max siz for a signature on the Otaku Boards is 500x120.[/QUOTE][size=1]As an Art Studio moderator and OtakuBoards Terrorist I must react to this line by mentioning that the actual maximum size of banners on OtakuBoards is 550×120.

You can continue on trying to persuade administrators now.[/size]

[color=#4B0082]The problem is that a lot of people have banners that they want to use but that exceed the size limits. If we accommodated all requests like this we'd end up with a limit of 575x500 or something crazy like that. "It's only ten more pixels," adds up, you know?

If this gets enough support we might consider upping the limit to 550x130 but if it's only a few people that would use these signatures then it's probably not going to happen.[/color]

Yeah but as far as I know there are few sites like A-P that offer unique signaturess. So I think this makes this request specific since A-P does have a lot of dedicated members. Not sure about how many are already members here, but either way, I'm not saying keep giving in to bigger and bigger sizes. It's just that A-P is sort of a speial site that offers a cool and original feature, which is it's point, and we as members at other forums can't even use it.

And I'm not asking to increase the width limit, 550 is ok. But it's not like 10 px in Height will make a difference, coz face it, members can simply put 20 linebreaks in their signature space and it takes up 5 times more space than a signature simply 10 px larger than the limit.

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Gecko']And I'm not asking to increase the width limit, 550 is ok. But it's not like 10 px in Height will make a difference, coz face it, members can simply put 20 linebreaks in their signature space and it takes up 5 times more space than a signature simply 10 px larger than the limit.[/QUOTE]That's true, however, it's an easy matter for us to edit those signatures reminding members to keep it within reason. ;) [spoiler]which I have done by the way[/spoiler]

I'm with Des, it's too easy to keep increasing it since as he put it the argument will always be [I]it's only this much more[/I]. Especially since we just went from 500 X 100 to 550 X 120 within the last year. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]I do not think it would be a good idea to have such things like that here. Look at me and more specifically Dagger. I'm sure she's seen or owns or wants to see so much anime to be able to write them down on a single piece of paper, let alone a signiture on a forum. I like how our signitures are not overly huge. They are just nice and simple.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Ehm there are so many banners like that. Especially in the gaming sector. Not only those silly pokémon banners that show your character and your first choice pokémon, but also complete gaming profiles. So actually, no offense to A-P, but it is not really unique to have updating banners that show user status about thing.

Besides, Desbreko (and Aaryanna) have it at the right end when it comes to the "just 10 pixels" thing. If we give 10 pixels more for A-P, another wants us to give 12 pixels more for the next site and so on. 550×120 is already pretty big if you look at OtakuBoards' history.

Ah, but please don't feel attacked by anyone, we all love you and just want to react to your question. :whoops:[/size]

I still think it's wrong to deny a simple request like this specifically for A-P. I agree on the whole continously increasing size matter, but this is an exception. Whether other sites have banners with updating stats hasn't got anything with Otaku Boards to do. A signature dedicated to the pure enjoyment of all anime, and the viewers pride in what they've seen does, since Otakus are Anime fans. Gamers and Book readers signatures have nothing to do with Otaku Board, Anime lovers do. And as far as I know the A-P is the only site out there that has a feature such as this. And if more are to come at some point in the future you can simply reffer them to A-P.

Either way, my case and point still remains that a Very small increase in HEIGHT makes no big difference as I could just as easily make a lot of line breaks. And it doesn't matter that you can edit it since I can do it again until you block/delete/ban me and then someone replaces me. Whereas the image size rule can't be broken.

Also, as kind as you may see yourselves as being for having allowed as much as 550x120, I think that's a waaaay small number, and would increase it more than 10 if it were me. But it's not, and I don't care. I just feel strongly that the A-P's signatures are a special circumstance that should be considered. As far as I know the A-P's signatures are the only updating statistics signature that truly relate to Otaku Boards.

P.S. Their signatures look like this [url]http://www.anime-planet.com/users/images/signatures/Roaziel.jpg[/url]
and you can choose what statistics are shown and what background you want. It's pretty much the full package :P

[quote name='Gecko']Also, as kind as you may see yourselves as being for having allowed as much as 550x120, I think that's a waaaay small number, and would increase it more than 10 if it were me. But it's not, and I don't care. I just feel strongly that the A-P's signatures are a special circumstance that should be considered. As far as I know the A-P's signatures are the only updating statistics signature that truly relate to Otaku Boards.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Easy there, man. :animesmil

Aye, and we just got through with a whole debate on this angle not, what, two months ago? Anyway, as I understand it now, the site will not support more than one image per signature, so line breaks aside I doubt you'll be able to do much about that; and calling the staff on the edit/delete/ban card is kinda foolhardy, neh?

Now, granted, there are no restrictions on total height, meaning one can fill space with as much (or little) text as they please. (I.e., [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/member.php?u=32786"][COLOR="Blue"]Tetra of Sound[/COLOR][/URL]. Or mine.) So I can understand then how a restriction on banner height might be considered unreasonably stringent. At the same time, though, I see no reason to balk at the current rules.

And then also, I see no purpose in keeping a tally of what I have or have not seen/read. It sure as heck ain't a status indicator.

'Cept maybe for [COLOR="DarkRed"]Dagger[/COLOR].....[/FONT]

Hello thar!

Well, I run Anime-Planet and this thread was pointed out to me by one of the random users (not Gecko ^_^ but hi!) - anyways, as I like joining anime forums I decided to sign up, so I might as well mention something here. :p It's unfortunate I missed your sig limits here - when creating the default size I went to most of the major anime sites and checked their rules, and went with the smallest height limit I could find. Ah well! Anyways, eventually we'll have other size options - though I stil think the default size looks the most awesome ;)

Anyways, off to the other anime sections for some fun posting!

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Easy there, man. :animesmil

Aye, and we just got through with a whole debate on this angle not, what, two months ago? Anyway, as I understand it now, the site will not support more than one image per signature, so line breaks aside I doubt you'll be able to do much about that; and calling the staff on the edit/delete/ban card is kinda foolhardy, neh?

Now, granted, there are no restrictions on total height, meaning one can fill space with as much (or little) text as they please. (I.e., [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/member.php?u=32786"][COLOR="Blue"]Tetra of Sound[/COLOR][/URL]. Or mine.) So I can understand then how a restriction on banner height might be considered unreasonably stringent. At the same time, though, I see no reason to balk at the current rules.

And then also, I see no purpose in keeping a tally of what I have or have not seen/read. It sure as heck ain't a status indicator.

'Cept maybe for [COLOR="DarkRed"]Dagger[/COLOR].....[/FONT][/QUOTE]

If I came off as an ***hole, I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention to insult anyone or make anyone mad. I was just trying to get my point across. What I said about the banning/blocking thing wasn't any kind of threat, I was simply pointing out that the rules had their limits in either case.

[quote name='sothis']Hello thar!

Well, I run Anime-Planet and this thread was pointed out to me by one of the random users (not Gecko ^_^ but hi!) - anyways, as I like joining anime forums I decided to sign up, so I might as well mention something here. :p It's unfortunate I missed your sig limits here - when creating the default size I went to most of the major anime sites and checked their rules, and went with the smallest height limit I could find. Ah well! Anyways, eventually we'll have other size options - though I stil think the default size looks the most awesome ;)

Anyways, off to the other anime sections for some fun posting![/QUOTE]

Hey Sothis! ^_^
I'm Roaziel! Yeah, the guy that made the thread "The still and future purpose of anime forums" on A-P forums. So you can see I'm pretty much a troublemaker everywhere, not just at A-P.
xD :P

[font=franklin gothic medium]My feeling is that we have things just about right. Other anime forums can do what works for them, but we prefer to have fairly organized/tidy signatures. This is also helpful for people who have slower connections (or who simply don't want to wade through millions of giant signature images when reading threads).

In terms of features, I'm sure there's plenty we can do. I haven't checked out A-P but I'll have a look so that I understand what you guys are referring to. If we can add an interesting sig feature then we'll look at it.

But yeah, at this point in time, I'm pretty happy with banner sizes on OB. I don't really think they need to grow any further right now. But I tend to review that over time anyway - if there is ever an increase, it's likely to be minimal (i.e. 10 pixels or so). We'll still always try to keep things tidy and organized.[/font]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]My feeling is that we have things just about right. Other anime forums can do what works for them, but we prefer to have fairly organized/tidy signatures. This is also helpful for people who have slower connections (or who simply don't want to wade through millions of giant signature images when reading threads).[/font][/QUOTE]
[color=black][size=1]This i definately agree with. I prefer how tidy and simplified everyones signatures look on this site, and increasing size will only ruin that =/

Plus, can't you just crop the image? If its 'only 10 pixels', then surely its only 5 from the top 5 from the bottom, most your guna lose is a layer of text if even that >>;[/color][/size]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]My feeling is that we have things just about right. Other anime forums can do what works for them, but we prefer to have fairly organized/tidy signatures. This is also helpful for people who have slower connections (or who simply don't want to wade through millions of giant signature images when reading threads).[/font][/QUOTE]

[quote name='femme fatale'][color=black][size=1]This i definately agree with. I prefer how tidy and simplified everyones signatures look on this site, and increasing size will only ruin that =/[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

10 px would ruin the simplicity? ó_Ò?

[quote name='femme fatale'][color=black][size=1]Plus, can't you just crop the image? If its 'only 10 pixels', then surely its only 5 from the top 5 from the bottom, most your guna lose is a layer of text if even that >>;[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

uhh, we can't edit the sigs ourselves. Its a part of the site, and hosted on the site. We can only choose the background image and the statistics... The only chance we have of changing the sigs size is of Sothis rescripts her functions in whichever programing language she uses.

[quote name='Gecko']10 px would ruin the simplicity? ó_Ò?

uhh, we can't edit the sigs ourselves. Its a part of the site, and hosted on the site. We can only choose the background image and the statistics... The only chance we have of changing the sigs size is of Sothis rescripts her functions in whichever programing language she uses.[/QUOTE]
[color=black][size=1]In simple, yes. Yes it would.

And why can't you? I can think of an easy way to crop it, copy/paste it and then crop it from there =/ I mean it's a hell of alot easier than trying to get a site to change its max sig size all for the one signature.[/color][/size]

[font=franklin gothic medium]If it's just an image you want to use, then yeah, I'd just recommend cropping it.

I still haven't seen the feature you're referring to so I can't comment on that. But yeah, images themselves can easily be edited to suit our requirements. If worst comes to worst you can use Art by Request to ask a Member to help you with that.[/font]

[quote name='Gecko']uhh, we can't edit the sigs ourselves. Its a part of the site, and hosted on the site. We can only choose the background image and the statistics... The only chance we have of changing the sigs size is of Sothis rescripts her functions in whichever programing language she uses.[/QUOTE]Sure you can, if you can't access the signature directly, it's call, print screen, open it up in something like photoshop and edit/trim the size. Turn around and rehost elsewhere and insert it into your signature here.

And yes, adding more would run the simplicity that this site offers. We like having posts where the text/conversation part is bigger than the signatures. ;)

... Wow... just wow... I'm sorry, no offence, but none of those replies made any sense. I don't quite think you've understood the concept of these signatures.

What's the point of having a dynamic signature if I hade to edit it myself evey time I watch anime (which I do daily)? I think that's exactly why Sothis came up with the idea. No one wants to edit a picture every time they do something. On A-P it's automatic and fast. It's not just an image. It's a dynamic image that changes every time you update your profile on the A-P website, which I do about 2 or 3 times depending on how much anime I watch in a day. And it's Much faster than having up edit it myself in an image editor.

And the 10px ruining thing... Well I really don't know what to say to that. To me, it sounds very very stupid. No offence. 10 pixels is like the equivelent of 1 linebreak ó_Ò

(only saying this for informational purposes, not because I have any desire for you to change your rules/dimensions here)

Cropping the sig kind of ruins the point of the feature. ;) They aren't static, they are dynamic... dynamically generated depending on what your anime list looks like on the site.

As an example, here's mine:
[img]http://www.anime-planet.com/users/images/signatures/sothis.jpg[/img]

If I update my list, the sig automatically regenerates itself - users are given the html/bbcode needed to paste it into their forum signatures, but if they crop and save the image elsewhere, it (of course) won't dynamically update, which is the whole point of the feature ^_^. The other sig options are top 5 anime and currently watching, which also dynamically update depending on profile updates.

*goes back to browsing the anime sections XD*

You know, I don't think adding 10 pixels is going to launch us down some slippery slope that ends in everyone using [kuja]Kuja's font[/kuja] and lolcatting their way through an endless parade of threads about people's favorite socks. :whoops:

I'm with those who framed this as a question of whether or not there's enough demand to make the change worthwhile. Size restrictions aren't directly connected to OB's core principles or whatever, except insofar as they reflect an attempt to utilize basic common sense. 10 px either way just doesn't set off any alarm bells for me.

ETA: Thanks for the clarification, sothis.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Sure you can, if you can't access the signature directly, it's call, print screen, open it up in something like photoshop and edit/trim the size. Turn around and rehost elsewhere and insert it into your signature here.

And yes, adding more would run the simplicity that this site offers. We like having posts where the text/conversation part is bigger than the signatures. ;)[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Actually, I've found a lot of the sigs lately to be hideously big, in fact, I always thought yours was one of the perpetrators, rach, no offense. Having a full size banner and text and a quote and a little other notation - at that point the thing tends to be huge. And let's not even talk about some other ones (Allamorph and Vicky come to mind) haha. I try to keep mine as small as possible, not exceeding 5-6 lines of text when I don't use a banner, and when I use a banner I restrict it to 2-3 lines of text. I think if eveyone can work in moderation like that, it won't be a problem to increase banner size a little.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Gecko']10 px would ruin the simplicity? ó_Ò?[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]You forget the compounding factor. Ten, and ten more, and ten more.......

It rounds easily up to large numbers. Plus, again, we just increased the dimensions a short while ago, so I doubt another one will come this quickly.

And yes, I get what you're talking about, but that just seems too much distracting, unnecessary information. Yes, granted, it's constantly updating, but still. I like looking at the artistic talents more than a noisy statbox. (Not to mention a statbox which I feel serves no purpose.)[/FONT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='2008DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Actually, I've found a lot of the sigs lately to be hideously big, in fact, I always thought yours was one of the perpetrators, rach, no offense. Having a full size banner and text and a quote and a little other notation - at that point the thing tends to be huge. And let's not even talk about some other ones (Allamorph and Vicky come to mind) haha. I try to keep mine as small as possible, not exceeding 5-6 lines of text when I don't use a banner, and when I use a banner I restrict it to 2-3 lines of text. I think if eveyone can work in moderation like that, it won't be a problem to increase banner size a little.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]That's because you're neurotic DB. lol Seriously though, when it comes to total signature size I tend to look for stuff that is so long it fills the entire page at about 1024 x 768 resolution that is. Then I'll consider it too big and edit it for the person in question. Otherwise, in my opinion a banner and 5-6 lines of text isn't unreasonable, especially when the person uses the smallest setting for the text, you know like a certain [I]someone[/I] you just mentioned as on offender. :p And yes I fall in the same category as well. Not everyone likes smaller signatures like you do. You tend to go for questionable content instead of too much space. I'd much rather see you insert a banner as well instead of what you had in there last time really. Anyway...

In the end I guess it's just a matter of demand since I don't see 10px as a huge deal, provided it's not constantly changed to accommodate 10 more and then 10 more since that would add up after all while and be rather tacky looking. XP [/FONT][/COLOR]