OtakuBoards

Reginal Foods

Akieen Cloud

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"]Okay, so I have a buddy over with my husband and I and we got to talking about where we were from and the difference in foods where we lived. He lived in Michigan, up north and the food he talks about from there is sooo different than where I was raised. I was raised in the south. Well I was making a tradition southern food, fried green tomatoes. And I got to thinking, what is most traditional where your from? And I mean it can be from anywhere. I'm just really curious. I was born and raised in NC so I mean, southern foods are pretty known to me. But I would love some input. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1]England = Sausage and Mash. And I don't care what anyone else says - that's totally ours so get away. And the chippy is greasily English too.

For the actual place I live in, as in area, I think the majority of the folk live off fish and chips or kebabs. There's like a chippy on every corner... you do get the odd oriental stuff, though. And Sunday dinners... you know, I think the majority of English food revolves around the humble potato.

*Shrugs*[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]In California there's no real regional food. So everything is often a mishmash of everything else.

I.e. at steak houses they often do Pan Asian foods and do lettuce wraps for appetizers or have a massive variety. Pan-Everything is becoming intensely popular all over California, although Mexican food is the most popular.

For obvious reasons. I like tamales and tacos myself. Especially the city I'm in now. You can throw a rock in any direction and hit a taco stand. And not the crappy Americanized kind with gallons of cheese all over the place. You can get them in the traditional corn tortillas with spicy meat and sauce. Oh so fantastic.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Verdana"]Since my parents are Filipino, then I odviously eat Filipino foods. We normaly eat rice almost evey single day, and im guessing that most of the other asian counties also eat rice everyday too. But thats just my assumption.[/FONT]

[font=times new roman][color=#CC0066][size=2]I live in California as well, so I don't think there would be any "regional" food around here other then a deli sandwhiche and mexican food.

However I'm half-hungarian so I grew up eating stuff that most people wouldn't even think of such as hungarian beef goulash, beef stroganoff, califlower soup and this hungarian soup that is really good. Also, in Hungarian food, they use lots and lots of paprika. Good stuff. Califlower isn't something I've seen anyone eat as well. Goulash is awesome but I haven't had it in years.

There is also this wierd thin pancake (not a crepe btw) that I use to eat but I forget what its called. Pincolash or something like that. So I guess that makes me somewhat european? [/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Udon'][FONT="Verdana"]Since my parents are Filipino, then I odviously eat Filipino foods. We normaly eat rice almost evey single day, and im guessing that most of the other asian counties also eat rice everyday too. But thats just my assumption.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Well, in certain areas of China they just spring for noodles. And the variety of noodles gets crazier and crazier the more you travel. In some places they're as long as your arm and in others as short as your pinky, but really broad and flat.

Although at my old church, everyone was Phillipino except my family and like one other family... ...so we likes the chicken adobo, and the pancit [chow mein sort of], and the lumpia [egg rolls, but superior]. Although one thing I have to say I miss the most is the banana fritters. Definitely that.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I live in Connecticut now and It's really different than when I lived in NC. In the south it's nothing for you to take a whole hog and roast it on a spit over a fire, up here it's really weird, cabbage and sausage's is another big one I see strange looks for. lol. But in the south it's real big. Its interesting how so many different areas have different foods and various ways of cooking them. My husband is Sicilian and he uses alot and I mean ALOT of seasonings and I usually just use salt, pepper, and garlic. It's funny, he always says I need to add more. lol.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Well, I was raised off of barbecue and buffalo fried chicken, kool-aid and moonpies. That's how we do it in AR. Well, not really... that's kind of just me..

AR is full of:
1) Mcdonalds
2) Subway
3) Olive Garden
4) Numerous BBQ and Fish stands
5) Taco Bell
6) Burger king
7) Sonic
8) Chinese food restaurants that noone eats at
9) Hispanic food restaurants that people go to
10) Wal-marts

So.. any food from those places, and that's pretty much all I eat, except fish. I don't like good old fashioned meals from my mother... I'd prefer fast food... Unless it was a pasta salad with nice Italian dressing, or a chicken fettucini dish...

Also, we alot of deermeat down here in the south. And everyone drinks beer. So. Yeah..[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=crimson]San Antonio, the Paris of Tex-Mex! Tex-Mex is the best food on Earth, I live, breath, and eat it with gusto. Gorditas, fajitas, taco soup, caldo, cabrito, carne asada and enchiladas. Man, enchiladas - enchiladas mole, enchiladas verde, jalapeno enchiladas.

Chile is another Texas favorite. Chile with beans, no beans, meat, not meat, jalapenos, no jalapenos, whatever you want. Man, chile cooked for more than one day is some of the most amazing food you will ever eat.

BBQ is also kind of a mandatory thing here for everyone. Rudy's BBQ up I-10 is awesome ****. Plenty of cowboy-types roaming around there too, haha.

Texas is full of immigrants, so there is a plethora of Vietnamese, Indian, German, Korean, and other places around. Tight stuff.[/color]

[FONT="Arial"]I never really though of Florida having a regional cuisine or whatever. The main street through my city has about a thousand restaurants, many commercially owned but several locally. These range from Mexican to Chinese to seafood to southern to breakfast, etc. etc.

I s'pose you could say there's a lot of southern food eaten down here, but I honestly wouldn't know. I don't think there's a statistic for it, and there certainly aren't a lot of "southern cooking" restaurants. It's probably just the part of FL I live in, which is very urban/suburban. I'd bet spanish/cuban food is pretty popular around here, though.[/FONT]

[quote name='Lunox'][font="trebuchet ms"] Georgia= Chick-fil-a and sweet tea. I'm sorry, but southern food beats the hell out of northern... ;)[/font][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Amen to that. If someone from Georgia tells you you made good sweet tea, you [i]know[/i] it has to have like, two cups of sugar for every cup of water. xD

I grew up on good ol' blue box mac'n'cheese, boiled eggs, and whatever my grandparents made. Every holiday meal includes mashed potatoes, rolls, and some form of sweet potato soufle or broccoli cassarole. Grr, now I'm hungry.

I'm used to chitlin bread and crawdads, when I went out with my ex you saw a lot of traditional south dishes. Collard greens, cornbread, gravy and country fried steak. All yum. So most of us are kinda chubby down here. :) We eat well.[/size]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"]rebel flag flies proud. LOL. I'm southern myself so all of that I know well. I have to say that collard greens are my favorite. I was raised in NC so i know what you all are talking about. I know living in CT now is drving my crazy! No one up here knows what Sweet tea unless it's brisk or nestea. It's horrible. I know my husband and I were talking and we both agree that if you would tell a northerner that we split whole hogs and throw them on the grills down home they would freak out. lol. good ol' pig picking. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Arispa'][size=1]Amen to that. If someone from Georgia tells you you made good sweet tea, you [i]know[/i] it has to have like, two cups of sugar for every cup of water. xD
[/size][/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] Lol, true that. Anyone who visits the south has to eat at McAlisters, they have the best sweet tea. If I go to college in the north, the one thing I'll miss the most will be the food.[/font]

[color=#9933ff]Here in North New Jersey (North, not central or south) we have something called Bagels. ;)

Bagels aren't good outside of our region: Bergen/Passaic/Essex counties, especially. (Where I'm at.)

We also have pizza, because I'm sorry California, but your pizza SUCKS. The concept of the California Pizza Kitchen having good pizza is practically an oxymoron.[/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie'][color=#9933ff]Here in North New Jersey (North, not central or south) we have something called Bagels. ;)

We also have pizza, because I'm sorry California, but your pizza SUCKS. The concept of the California Pizza Kitchen having good pizza is practically an oxymoron.[/color][/QUOTE]

*agrees* *agrees* Admittedly, the best bagels my mum and I have had were in New Jersey, and the best pizza my mum and I had was in New York. And the same goes for hot dogs as well.

Unfortunately, I live all the way in California, so this means I don't have access to those...

Wait a second, actually I do. Where I live, it's a lot like the whole world (or at least most of it) in one small area of the world. My mum is what I guess you can call a gourmet--she's good at searching for good food from good places in the neighbourhood. And escpecially within the last few years, we've found access to, well, all the foods everyone else has mentioned so far (escept the part about the pig, obviously), made the same way as in the place of their origin. This especially includes foods from Mexico, Asia, and the rest of the US.

Yes, I agree with what Raiha says about California having no regional food and thus a mishmash of everything else. Well, basically you trade focusing on your own area with focusing as many other areas as possible.

Utah doesn't really have regional food but we do have a few quirks, one being Fry Sauce. It's a mixture of ketchup and mayonnaise that is served with fries. The other is Jell-O, they even went to the fuss of declaring it the state's official snack food. For the most part though, it's just plain food around here.

Massachusetts clam chowder (chowdah!) is better than anything else in the world, especially when served in a sour dough bread bowl.

Also on the topic of California pizza, I had the best pizza I have ever had while living in CA. It was a white sauce (instead of red, it was garlicy), cheese, and grilled chicken pizza at Fatte's Pizza in San Luis Obispo, CA. They have a buy one/get one deal so my roommate and I always got two of them for the low low price of $15. And that's with tip for the delivery man.