OtakuBoards

Dog breeds, your favorite and why...i

Akieen Cloud

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I was having a debate with a friend of mine over the internet a few hours ago about which breed of dog is the best and why, I have had sooo many dogs in my life its not funny and I have to say that the best breed I have had would be rotwillers. I have had like 3 and they have all been the sweetest and most loving dogs I have ever had, not only that they are beautiful dogs. My other favorite are Welsh Corgis, they are so darn smart and cute to boot. lol. At the moment my husband and I are homing a black lab and she is ending up as one of the better dogs that both of us have had and he has had goldens and huskies so we have a wide arrange of breeds. My question to the boards is this, what is your fav breeds and why?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=3]I have to say that for versitility you can't be a Heinz fifty-seven. They're probably the best breed out there and they come in a wide variety of sizes and colours. Also since they're mixed from a lot of different dog breeds you don't have to worry about genetic weaknesses like you do from purebreds.

But if you want me to be serious I'd have to say that right now I really like Yorshire Terriers. I've been a around a few of them and I have to say that as far as small dogs go they've defiantely won my heart. I'm actually surprised that I like them because usually I can't stand little ankle biters (Especially Chiuauas) But Yorkies are very endearing.

And now I have to go to bed so I'll add some more later.[/color][/font][/size]

I'd have to say golden retrievers given that they're well trained. I grew up with a golden named Bill who was impossible to train, but he was still an awesome dog.
I'm slightly relieved that the days of chasing this dog around town are over. Right now I just have to focus on my two boxers. They're a handful, but at least they don't run away.
Don't get me wrong, I love my dogs, but boxers fart, and they always want to sit in your lap even though they're huge.

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Everyone always mentions these big dogs. Pfft. Little dogs are great.
Chihuahua/dachshund mix. This makes for a mean little ankle-biter, but they're highly intelligent and adorable. And I happen to have two of them, one who is gigantic compared to a chihuahua, and another that is just the cutest dog ever, but a bit bull-headed, i.e. she never learns a damn thing, but she's smart in other ways. She knows how to open doors. >.>

I adore 'em.
But I also like min-pins, and Doberman Pinschers.
Eh, I'm more of a cat person on the whole, but I love dogs too. Hell, any animal.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]Definitely Labrador, I've been around them since I was a kid and they're just such a loyal, friendly breed of dog. Of all the breeds I've been around, and living in the country that's quite a few, I'd never be worried at all to leave any of my young cousins around them.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Non-shedding breeds like Poodles and Bichons. Though Bichons are better than Poodles since they aren't hyper. Anyway, not that other breeds aren't nice and all, but my asthma can't tolerate breeds that shed. The only ones I can be around that don't make me sick are the types I mentioned. I prefer cats, but I've yet to find a breed that allergy wise, isn't a disaster.. [/COLOR]

[font="trebuchet ms"] Border collies and Jindo mixes. I like medium-sized, energetic dogs you can run with, and I also find them the cutest. And their intelligence is impressive, so you can train well.

But the reason I say Jindo mixes is because pure Jindos are a hassle if you're not committed 1000% to training it well. They're incredibly smart, which sort of backfires if you don't train them, which is a huge undertaking.[/font]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I'm happy with my Siberian Husky - she's the only dog I've ever owned so I can't really comment on other breeds as such. Although I've had plenty of family who have own other types of dogs.

I personally don't mind smaller dogs, but I really can't stand tiny/yappy dogs (those dogs that let off high-pitched yelps every five seconds annoy the hell out of me).[/font]

We had a Schipperke when I was growing up. Small dog that thinks it's a 90-pound watch dog in a tiny little 9-pound body. But what made the little bugger fun was how damn smart he was. Problem solving smart. We had child locks on our kitchen cabinets to keep him out. XP It was unbelievable as to what that little rat could figure out.

We had other various dogs, but that's the one I remember the most. If I ever get my own place, I'd consider having one again.

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Aceburner']Something is very wrong with this: this thread has existed for 2 days and still no Aaryanna?[/QUOTE]I think it's a given as to what I love. That and I'm getting slammed with homework lately. >_> I mean I didn't even notice this thread until now. XP

But yeah, Bichon's are among my favorites, they don't shed, they're smart and they aren't hyper so you don't have to worry about them running around in circles barking. It's easy to get her calmed down when something gets her riled up. Plus they are lap dogs and very, very affectionate. So they just love being with you, even if it's only to curl up in the chair next to you while you do homework. :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Navy"]Beagles all the way. The female ones are just good to have by, they're cute too. My dog is amazing, and she's really smart. Beagles are good rabbit dogs, but better companions. They aslo have great noses, they can sniff out termites y'know.

Plus, if you ask my dog for a hug, she'll give you one. Eat that one up![/COLOR]

So, I'm a daughter of a breeder, so I've been around dogs *literally* my entire life. We first had two fox terriers, and we ended up giving the other one away (they didn't get along anymore or something) but what I remember of the one we had, Nette, is when she was really old (like blind,deaf, can barely walk anymore old). She was quite the "whipper snapper" and I loved her to death. I was 14 when she died, she was 18 and a half ha ha!

However, my mom started breeding Giant Schnauzers when I was very young, getting our first one when I was about 3 or 4. He was a loveable guy, and then we got Paavo (my all time favorite of our dogs, EVER) though his life was cut short by cancer. We've had many Giants since then, but now my mom is also breeding Miniature Schnauzers. The first one we ever got was also my first dog of my own, Lissu. She's still alive and kicking at 9 years old!

I have to say that for my favorite breed, it would have to be [B]Giant Schnauzers[/B]. Yes, they are big, black, with beards, and often cropped ears. Many people can be afraid of them, but they are really "gentle giants." (forgive the pun) The thing is with this breed is that they were designed to be working dogs, bred to protect their owner's farms in Germany (also some herding..a farm dog!), so they may not be the best dog for a first time owner, but they just hold a special place in my heart. And so does my mini, lissu!! They are REALLY smart, and have SUCH a sense of humor!

I hate to be frank, but I really don't like most of the dogs you guys have mentioned. You see, I worked at a "doggy day care" for two summers, and you see a wide variety of breeds working at such a place. You also see the downsides of having such breeds. (I honestly do NOT like labradors. there ARE cool ones, but there aren't very many in the normal, everyday population. They just aren't that smart.) That job really sucked, it was the worst one I've ever had. Sorry guys!