OtakuBoards

The Dark Knight

Allamorph

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] If that's the case, I for one thought it was a huge disappointment. :D[/font][/QUOTE]

I pray you don't mean the movie. If you do, I can't be held responsible if my fellow comic geeks raid your house. ;)

[font=trebuchet ms] Oh yes, I mean the movie. I sincerely have no idea why people think this movie is so explosively good. I just am not seeing the magic or something, lol.

And I know this a petty rant, and IMDb's ratings system is flawed and the fact that I care is sad, but seeing [b]The Dark Knight[/b] beat [b]The Godfather[/b] on IMDb's Top 250 fills me with inner rage and fury. Especially when people smell a fanboy mob at work, seeing as how [b]The Shawshank Redemption[/b] inexplicably overtook [b]The Godfather[/b]. I love that movie, but it's suspicious.

Part of me wonders what the hell I missed in that theatre. It just annoys me that America is screaming about how mind-blowingly awesome the movie was and I walked out of AMC screaming about how I spent $12 bucks on the movie.
[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms] I see where people are coming from (sort of). By no means is [b]The Dark Knight[/b] a bad movie, it was good. But not amazing.

What confuses me is how people somehow look past the bad parts of the movie and just rave about how "dark" it was and how awesome the Joker was. I can list about 10 things that are bad about the movie, but only about 2 things that are good. The Joker does not make up for an otherwise dull movie. The action scenes never once got me boiling, Harvey Dent's magical transformation was almost ridiculous, and it was like the director decided to cram 3 plot lines and 2 villains into one giant, overly long movie and have people call the movie epic.

I know [spoiler]Dent's transformation is supposed to be like part of Joker's master plan, but seriously. Seriously, the guy transforms into an evil villain and dies in the next 30 minutes in what seemed to be a cheap plot device. Not to mention that the transformation itself took about 2 minutes.

And then the end scene, with the voice over that directors like to put in because they're afraid the audience is too stupid. Which in retrospect was why they had that equally annoying blonde kid who had to ask the questions. I just found it cheesy.

Batman is the "dark knight" because he has to play the anti-hero, but is really a hero for taking the blame! The themes of free will and evil are so poignant!

By now my bitterness is showing through. [/spoiler]

Part of it comes out of the movie being hyped up to the max. I literally had someone I know shake my shoulders and yell in my face "IT'S SO AMAZING OH MY GOD" minutes before the movie, so I was expecting the movie to blow me the hell away.

Long movies are fine, but come on...they have to focus [spoiler](like [b]The Godfather[/b] movies, dammit)[/spoiler]. The more I think about it, the more and more confused I become. I do not want to see this movie get hailed as one of the greatest films of our time and the best of the year, when [b]Wall-E[/b] was a better movie. Hopefully it receives no major Oscar nods, excepting a Best Actor for Ledger.

[/bitterness][/font]

[quote name='Sara'][font=trebuchet ms]So the collective orgasm of the reaction in this thread wasn't enough to convince you, but one more spurt tipped the scale? I'm baffled.[/font][/QUOTE]

I'm sorry for confusing you, I was too lazy to read the entire thread...I just read the first post and posted.:animeswea

[quote name='chibi-master']I'm sorry for confusing you, I was too lazy to read the entire thread...I just read the first post and posted.:animeswea[/QUOTE]

And that is exactly why you don't read just the first post and post right off the bat. Because then you get into tricky situations like that.

I think whats amazing about it the modern adaptation of the movie. I dont think the action was super amazing but I thought it was apporpriate. It sounds like lunox wanted some crazy fighting scenes and more behind the scenes planning but I thought they did it well. I do agree there were some areas they could have improved the story but overall I thought the movie was fantastic.

[quote name='Matt']And that is exactly why you don't read just the first post and post right off the bat. Because then you get into tricky situations like that.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Wait, wait. You're kidding.

Oh snap. :animeswea[/FONT]

[quote name='randomuser83']I think whats amazing about it the modern adaptation of the movie. I dont think the action was super amazing but I thought it was apporpriate. It sounds like lunox wanted some crazy fighting scenes and more behind the scenes planning but I thought they did it well. I do agree there were some areas they could have improved the story but overall I thought the movie was fantastic.[/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] Not crazy, just good.[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'] What confuses me is how people somehow look past the bad parts of the movie and just rave about how "dark" it was and how awesome the Joker was. [/quote]

[color=deeppink]Well, I didn't see anything bad about the movie, other than a slight problem with predictability. [spoiler]Oh no, he's saving the wrong person![/spoiler] I was hoping the final scene would have had more of a fight, but it was more than enjoyable enough.[/color]

[quote] Harvey Dent's magical transformation was almost ridiculous, [/quote]

[spoiler]Yeah, sure, if you call having your girlfriend/betrothed die while you're saved and then get half your face burnt off "magic." I don't know how you expect people to react to this, but I think "going crazy and killing those responsible" isn't all that far-fetched.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Batman is the "dark knight" because he has to play the anti-hero, but is really a hero for taking the blame! The themes of free will and evil are so poignant![/spoiler]

[color=deeppink]Anything sounds stupid if you sum it up in couple sentances and use a mocking tone like that. ; )[/color]

[quote]Long movies are fine, but come on...they have to focus [spoiler](like [b]The Godfather[/b] movies, dammit)[/spoiler][/quote]

[color=deeppink]I'm not sure where all this is coming from. I found the movie to be plenty focused. *shrug*[/color]

[font=trebuchet ms]I've heard the Harvey Dent transformation defense from most of my friends, but I stand by what I said. Even if it's believable, it still had that "tacked on" feeling. He [spoiler]dies within what, a day? One of my friends argued against my "it felt like two movies mashed together" argument by saying the director didn't know if there would be another movie, but that's really not a great excuse even if it is true. I just didn't find it focused. I thought the plot was convulated, and there were better ways to get the point across. Like adding more Batman time, maybe. [/spoiler]

And the theme thing? [spoiler]It would have been great if we had been able to look into Batman's character more. But we didn't, really, so in the end to me the message fell on its face. And also, I hate Captain Obvious monologues.[/spoiler]

The movie wasn't bad, it just grates me to see everyone believe it's zomg amazing. I'm also bitter because I missed out on what most people thought was a fantastic movie experience, something I haven't had in a while. [/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms]I've heard the Harvey Dent transformation defense from most of my friends, but I stand by what I said. Even if it's believable, it still had that "tacked on" feeling. He [spoiler]dies within what, a day? [/spoiler][/font][/QUOTE]

Who says [spoiler]he died? The drop certainly wasn't lethal. The memorial service in the end could've very well been just a facade, as well.[/spoiler]

As for the tacked-on feeling, in my opinion if the transformation [I]hadn't[/I] happened, the whole character of Harvey Dent would've been useless and tacked-on in the movie.

Honestly, if you remember all the scenes from the beginning of the movie until the end, and follow the "red line" of the plot, you'll notice that there's very few scenes that are just tacked-on. The complexity of the story and how well it played out was certainly one of the main reasons I loved this movie.

I think you, Lunox, need to see the movie again, with a little less "I'm so going to be disappointed"-attitude, and enjoy the movie as what it is, without comparisons or rankings. Don't let the hype get you. ;D

[font=trebuchet ms] [i]Or[/i], maybe I could just continue thinking that [b]The Dark Knight[/b] wasn't fantastic. I can see why people think I'm being cynical or "against it for the sake of it" about it- but I've said it many times and I'll say it again. I didn't think the movie was bad, I think there were problems with it (like any other movie) that stops it from really being everything people make it out to be.

My first post in this thread should show everyone, I did not walk into this movie thinking it was going to disappoint. Sometimes people just don't like certain movies. ;D [/font]

I forget where I read this, but apparently [spoiler]the official Dark Knight script confirms Harvey Dent's death -- I haven't read the official script myself, so it could be bogus, but I find myself leaning more toward Harvey being dead every day.[/spoiler]

I think Lunox is going [i]slightly[/i] overboard, but at the same time, she has legitimate points, [spoiler]especially if Harvey is dead. I have no issue with him transforming in The Dark Knight -- IF he is going to be used as the villain in a third movie. But the death [i]does[/i] feel crammed in. Yes, it serves the larger point about Batman's heroism, and it adds more tragedy to Harvey's character, but at the same time, I think he would have been more useful as a larger-scale villain.[/spoiler]

I just saw The Dark Knight today and its one of the better movies I've seen this year. Being a Batman fan of both movies, comic, and cartoons this was an alright movie. [spoiler]There was some things that bothered me most regarding the actors themselves Batman's voice being one of the problems to me. It was to rough and I kept thinking he had something stuck in his throat. I know he was trying to disguise his voice but it just annoyed me[/spoiler]

I however loved the acting for both Two-face and Joker. They fit in with what I had always pictured them to be. Finally seeing them the way I thought they should be was a real treat.

The plot was in some places seemed rushed and it felt like two movies in one. I didn't really have a problem with that but it did make the movie a little long.

[spoiler]From what I hear on the up coming Batman movies there going to be another one. The villains being the Riddler and Penguin. They already have some one in mind for the Riddler and that is Johnny Depp and some sites have said that he has agreed. [URL="http://movies.hollyscoop.com/johnny-depp/johnny-depp-to-play-the-riddler_846.aspx"]Click to Read[/URL] Catwomen is to also make an apperince in the next movie[/spoiler]

[quote name='Cat14'][spoiler]From what I hear on the up coming Batman movies there going to be another one. The villains being the Riddler and Penguin. They already have some one in mind for the Riddler and that is Johnny Depp and some sites have said that he has agreed. [URL="http://movies.hollyscoop.com/johnny-depp/johnny-depp-to-play-the-riddler_846.aspx"]Click to Read[/URL] Catwomen is to also make an apperince in the next movie[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Depp as the Riddler, huh? Yeah, that seems good. If anyone can pull it off right, it's Johnny Depp. Looking at some of his other roles, he's really good at the whole enigmatic aura thing. Plus I can just picture his "Riddle me this." Purely awesome.

As for the voice disguise thing, I actually thought it worked really well in both this and Begins. He's basically acting outside of the law, and as a public figure a lot of people would recognize his voice. It only makes sense to disguise it, though I suppose he could have done it another way.

Heh. I just pictured Christian Bale talking in falsetto.[/FONT]

[quote name='Aceburner'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Depp as the Riddler, huh? Yeah, that seems good. If anyone can pull it off right, it's Johnny Depp. Looking at some of his other roles, he's really good at the whole enigmatic aura thing. Plus I can just picture his "Riddle me this." Purely awesome.

As for the voice disguise thing, I actually thought it worked really well in both this and Begins. He's basically acting outside of the law, and as a public figure a lot of people would recognize his voice. It only makes sense to disguise it, though I suppose he could have done it another way.

Heh. I just pictured Christian Bale talking in falsetto.[/FONT][/quote]

The voice did work but it just got annoying after awhile. Christian Bale talking in falsetto would be funny really. I can't picture it though. [spoiler]And while on voices did anyone else notice that the lead mafia leader accent kept disappearing as the movie went on? or was it just me.[/spoiler]

I too thought the Depp was a good choice as well. I think he would pull it off nicely. Some people though wanted Jim Carry to stay as the Riddler. I however don't think Jim would do that role again. As for the penguin being played by Philip Seymour Hoffman I don't know. I can only remember him playing in Twister. He kind of looks the part though.

As for who would play as catwomen they wanted Angelina Jolie but I don't think that has been confirmed yet.

I like Johnny Depp, but I don't think he would make a good Riddler. It would turn into "Johnny Depp as The Riddler" just like Batman is "Jack Nicholson as The Joker." I'm taking the rumors with a grain of salt for now, though, because they're all coming off as random ramblings from Internet fans who are fantasy casting their version of the third Batman movie.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Dude!!!!!!!!!!! The Dark Knight was the best freakin' movie ever. One of the best action movies I've seen, and I'm really not a fan of action movies. The Joker was crazy, in a cool way, and he was the coolest character. I didn't really get Two-Face, he became evil because that girl died, but when he asked her to marry him, she said no, so why become so evil? They did a brilliant job on Two-Face's burnt side, I'm interested in that kind of stuff, hehehe:animeswea. Anyway,
Batman wasn't my fav character, the raspy voice got kinda annoying when there was more dialouge. I actually drew a picture of Batman and the Joker. It gave me a good picture idea. I have a theory about why Heath Ledger(?) killed himself, he really put himself into his character (the Joker).
Anyway long story short, good movie. You think they would make Robin..............:catgirl:[/COLOR]

[quote name='Lunar'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"] You think they would make Robin..............:catgirl:[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] America wouldn't be able to handle the [url="http://superdickery.com/index.php?view=article&catid=32%3Aseduction-index&id=35%3Abatmans-not-gay-hes-not-dammit&option=com_content&Itemid=36"][u]gay overtones[/u][/url]. God I love that site! [/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][FONT=trebuchet ms] America wouldn't be able to handle the [URL="http://superdickery.com/index.php?view=article&catid=32%3Aseduction-index&id=35%3Abatmans-not-gay-hes-not-dammit&option=com_content&Itemid=36"][U]gay overtones[/U][/URL]. God I love that site! [/FONT][/quote] Two words: Joker, boner. Considering that they got through TDK without that influence looming in the background, I think it'd be fair to give Robin a shot.