OtakuBoards

Easter Vigil and Easter Sunday

Odin M Yggdrasi

I don't know if anyone here is religious or not, however tonight is easter vigil and tomorrow is easter Sunday for most Christian and catholic religions. I am fairly sure it is passover for the Jewish faith as well.

What are your plans for tonight and tomorrow?

I am going down to the church in a few minutes to set up the easter vigil bonfire.
Basically, at sundown I ignite this fire, and the mass starts around it. After some songs are sung and the fire is blessed, the easter candle and some flame pots are ignited and carried inside. It becomes the light of Christ by the time they are done, and is stored on a large candle in the back room to ignite baptism candles so that new baptisms receive the light of Christ- which is derived from the fire I ignite this eveni[B]n[/B]g and have for the past three years.

Normally I sit out by the fire for a while longer as it cannot be left unattended, but the then offer prayers and carry the fire pots around the darkened church for a fair bit as per tradition.

Usually right around the time my fire is burning out ( I know exactly how much wood to give it so it only burns long enough for the ritual) the lights are turned on and the mass proceeds normally, letting out at midnight.

As for tomorrow, I have no idea what we'll do- I don't think we've located our easter baskets from last year they were hidden so well. Probably just enjoy the day off I think.

[SIZE="1"]I'm going to do pretty much what I always do, get mass in the morning and then enjoy some Easter eggs when I get back. Easter Sunday is never really that different from a normal Sunday, well maybe except for some family coming around for dinner, and obviously the Easter eggs. ^_^;[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]I was going to go to church last night to the Good Friday service, but after I got out of work my brother and I had to run up to the store to get some Easter stuff, and I thought I'd have enough time...I got home at 7PM, and thats when the service started. I was totally bummed the rest of the night, I had been looking forward to this all week too.

I have church tomarrow aswell though, so I'm looking forward to it.

Other than this I do get my parents stuff for Easter, and vice versa. I love the Easter colored M & Ms, especially peanut. Easter colors remind me of Spring, and warm weather, which is something we need here. XD

Easter and Christmas are my favorite holidays.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Indigo"]What I always do on Sundays, pretty much nothing. Other than relaxing, listening to music, playing video games and sometimes homework if I really need to. I'm not religious so I don't go to church. And I don't get any easter goodies either. It's honestly just another Sunday for me. [/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]Because I swing with the Baptist denomination, we don't follow many of the Catholicism-inspired liturgical holidays. So today is blissfully normal.

Tomorrow I play with the church ensemble (which is growing in both size and skill; having three of us old high-school buddies from the same town—and church, no less—in the group did quite a lot to [I]that end[/I]), and because it's Easter, out music program will be a little more intense and the sermon will be resurrection-themed like every year.

After that, I'll be meeting up with my mother and possibly the oldest of my younger sisters and having lunch, since I didn't get to come home for the weekend.

Noting terribly extravagant. (^_^)

(Double-sig-ness ftw.)[/FONT]

I'm a [strike]defective Catholic[/strike] Lutheran. As far as I know, we don't do Easter Vigils, so I'm gonna be at my sister's house playing Guitar Hero and Metroid and the like tonight. Probably watch a movie, too.

Tomorrow's a different story. Mom's histing Easter dinner for a bunch of people (no idea what she was thinking, seeing as how she is in charge of setting up all 3 Easter services at church,) so I'll be entertaining. Maybe I can get one of my friends to come over and bring Brawl...

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I'm friends with a [strike]defective Catholic[/strike] Episcopalian... But essentially it boils down to the same thing.

The Four Square Denomination of the Christian Church is pretty chill though. We'll sing special songs, read particular verses from the Bible, and then break and pray and THEN eat like there's going to be a famine. It's a potluck at an Asian church, so you can bet your bionic implants that there will be food and then more food and then we'll drown in food. I was just making ham with my mom and shopping for dinner rolls the size of your face. If you're a baby.

So food. Religion. Food. Religion. And then food again.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Tomorrow I'll probably sleep in and go to the 11:00 Mass (I normally go at 8:30, to have more time to do stuff during the day) with my family. Afterwards, family and friends will stick around to attend my nephew's Baptism, which will take place after the Mass.

After that, we'll all head to my grandparents' house for a reception that will probably last most of the rest of the day. :p

My girlfriend isn't Catholic, so she won't be around for the Mass or the Baptism, but she'll be coming over for the reception afterwards to spend time with me. ^__^

I use to go to church for Easter... But I haven't done that in quite some time. So other than to perhaps visit my parents, something I often do on the weekends, I won't be doing anything different for the day. Other than my usual, get up, practice, have lunch, visit parents, spend time with friends, do stuff with Beth, etc. That about sums up my Sundays. XP

We have this cross-denominational Eastercamp down here, and I spent my easter volunteering to help keep things running. It's an awesome outreach camp that has over 100 church youth groups and about 2000 kids involved. After 8 years of going to them they are still amazing, it's such a privelige to see young people come to know Jesus through a message that is relevant and inspiring to them.

[FONT="Tahoma"]I didn't do anything special other than to go to church. The services were nice along with the music. I didn't do anything with my family since they are a six hour drive away. I thought about it, but my car needs some work so taking it for such a long drive isn't a good idea. I still called them to see how they were doing though. All in all, it was just a nice pleasant day. And having nice weather to go along with it was a definite plus. [/FONT]