OtakuBoards

55 Fiction

Allamorph

This was a game begun several years ago by longtime member Sara, along the same participation lines as the new Cinquain Poem thread and boasting many pages of activity. The premise is simple, so I'll let her do the explaining, and simply follow her words with a submission.

The Challenge: Write a story in 55 words or less. Well, "or fewer," to be grammatically correct, but you knew what I meant. And ideally, it would be 55 words exactly, and we wouldn't have to worry about any of this indefinite plural stuff.

The Rules: The name of the game is "55 Fiction." That means

1.) You're writing a story. It should include:

1. Setting
  2. Characters
  3. Conflict
  4. Resolution

2.) You are not writing poetry, idle thoughts, or anything else that does not fit the above requirements.

Your story should be 55 words long. Hyphenated words do not count as one word ("red-orange" would be two words, not one.) Contractions do count as one. ("it is" would be two words; "it's" would be one.)

The title of your story does not count towards your word limit; however, it should be no more than seven words.

You can write horror, drama, mystery, spoof, romance, adventure, science fiction, fantasy, kids' stuff, whatever you'd like.

If you've got questions, ask.

And all I will add is this:

Keep it tasteful, guys.
===========================================

Run

She couldn't remember ever feeling so wholly terrified; not when besieged by hopeless odds, not when held captive and tormented by otherworldly creatures, not even when a close friend had turned enemy. Always he'd been there, been beside her, comforted her and bore her up.

His anguished scream echoed down the corridor.

She ran faster.

Edited by Allamorph

[COLOR="Indigo"][CENTER][B] Hide[/B][/CENTER]
Why were the doors locked? Who would do such a horrible thing? The empty streets and the cool crisp air, the silence was so heavy. It was just a wrong turn! She went left instead of right. The war couldn?t follow, could it?

An unlocked door, a quick step inside; she turned.

Nowhere to hide. [/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][CENTER][B]Goodbye[/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]I don?t care if you had a hole in your pocket, you still lost the key.

[INDENT]How could you be so foolish? [/INDENT]

The night approaches, the temperature starts to drop - in time your heart begins to stop.

So among this beauty, you[I] will [/I]die, never again to wake and see.

[INDENT]Goodbye: [/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Go with God.[/INDENT][/INDENT][/SIZE]

[INDENT][B]Pounce[/B]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I crouched down in the shadows, keeping my eye on the prey. The poor thing had no idea I was so close and ready to pounce. With the flick of my tail and a lick of the lips I was anxious for dinner.

I jumped with claws extended landing right on him.

Rubber toy [I]again[/I].[/COLOR][/FONT][/INDENT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][CENTER][B]Morning [/B][/CENTER]
The sound of bells is heard in the morning to greet, the hurried pace of those who seek a curious heat. A crunch of snow beneath my feet impedes my way, but a kind hand reaches out to say.

?[B]Let me help you for I?m going your way.[/B]?

A warm kind smile and I obey. [/FONT]

[CENTER][SIZE="1"][B][U]Fallen[/U][/B]

My breath stills as she smiles, her beauty even now, is radiant.
Blood lazily drips from her soaked fingertips, I wonder sadly, who it belongs to.

"[b]Why ?[/b]

She doesn't answer, merely appraising me with cold, loveless eyes.
Her wings unfurl, delicate feathers turned pitch, and with a single movement we charge...

"[b]Forgive me...[/b]"[/SIZE][/CENTER]

• 2 weeks later...

VampIris

They always bloom outside my window in late Spring, always different than before. White, yellow, purple, blue; pink favors the driveway instead. Pity.

I miss the amazing one, though. Such a gorgeous, unexpected combination for an iris: tan atop and scarlet below—and the only flower I've ever brought to life.

So pretty.

So deadly.

Edited by Allamorph

[SIZE="1"][B][CENTER]March [/CENTER][/B]
It carried on the wind through fields of soft gentle grass. A calming melody urging my feet to take that path; the warm sun poured down.

There was a tiny hint of uncertainty a coldness felt yet not seen, until on top of the hill the view stretched out.

War was coming.

[INDENT]Time to run.[/INDENT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Humans abandoned a weapon in space and now it's returned to take it's revenge if one could fathom such horrible beasts contained complex thought and strong emotion. I am tasked with assaulting it's own lair and exterminating the threat once and for all.

Though I must ask myself; very self hesitantly; 'Is it even possible?'[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[size=1][indent]Darkness. Aaron marched through the forest, noticing a beautiful stranger unconcious at his feet. For only a moment, he broke his concentration.

‘[I][b]A damsel in distress,[/b][/I]’ he thought, ‘[I][b]But I’m no hero[/b][/I]…’

A lone howl echoes from the night. Footsteps are approaching.

She would never learn the name of who saved her life that night.[/size][/indent]

[FONT="Tahoma"][B][CENTER]Obscurity[/CENTER][/B]
I was shoved into darkness, a bottomless pit where my fall was unending.

My screams were loud and clear yet no echo or sound of anything else could be heard.

How had this happened? What force brought me here?

Unexpectedly I was bombarded by a brilliant shining light.

I found myself lying in my bed. [/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][CENTER][B][U]Brotherhood[/U][/B][/CENTER]

[INDENT]I stare into lifeless eyes that will never respond, blood pooling in the grass between us. My heartbeat, which had been some savage war-drum of adrenaline and wrath fades, replaced by growing nausea and comprehension. Slowly my lips forms the word...

"[b]Brother ?[/b]"

Too far. Too Late. I weep, for the monster I've become.[/SIZE][/INDENT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][B][CENTER]Too Late[/CENTER][/B]
Flames were blocking my path.

[SIZE="1"]I jumped through them.[/SIZE]

Water was everywhere.

[SIZE="1"]I swam. [/SIZE]

Assassins were trying to stop me.

[SIZE="1"]I killed them all. [/SIZE]

A door was closed in front of me.

[SIZE="1"]I opened it. [/SIZE]

Am I too late?

[SIZE="1"]I stepped into the room. [/SIZE]

Crimson red blood was on the floor.

[SIZE="1"]I was too late.[/SIZE] [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][center]Linnet: Before The War[/center]

[i]Under the gravid moon, she trails her fingers in blood. Breathless gurgle of immortal death. Stars vault overhead while madness gnaws her soul.[/i]

"I wish you had loved me Father."

[i]That liquid note of regret, strummed on the strings of her hair. Endless rings in pools of rainwater from lives forever vanished. Empty night.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE="1"][CENTER][B]What color will you choose?[/B][/CENTER]
It?s just a simple choice she told him; black or white.

It ignored the stark reality that hit far too close to home.

A tiny laugh.

A toothless smile.

A tiny wonder.

No choice could bring that back, nor could laying it to rest ease the pain.

With a heavy heart - he chose white.[/SIZE]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

Dizzy. Swirls of light and shapeless streaks. The sound of nothing pounds my ears. Flashes... then silent roars... Where am I? Oh, that's right. I blink hard, and clench my fists. I regain my footing and look through a blackened eye.

Damn he hits hard.[/color][/size]

[CENTER][B]It?s not fair[/B][/CENTER]
He wanted to cry to protest, for surely others had done far worse.

True justice knows better.

What your neighbor has done doesn?t matter. He finally broke as they took him away. His protests that he had done nothing wrong were empty and hollow. It was only a little thing.

He paid the bitter price.

[U]Freeze[/U]

The night was cold.

She hugged the frozen razor tightly to herself, a silent shiver coercing throughout her. Her fingers were already numb; now was the time. Slowly, so slowly, she drew a red line up her arm, staring down at it widened and broke. She was completely alone at last.

The night was cold.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][CENTER][B]Leaving Home[/B][/CENTER]
?[B]I?m sorry to hear that your father died.[/B]?

The voice was kind, but the words could not ease the pain in her heart.

?[B]I won?t be coming back.[/B]? She said softly to herself.

?[B]What was that?[/B]?

The friend did not understand. Her father was gone; it was time for her to move on as well.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE="1"][b]Not A Morning Person.[/b][/CENTER]
[INDENT]Lazily my eyes flutter open... shut... open again... shut again... and finally remain open after a liberal rubbing.

My fingernails peruse the back of my head as I squint through pitch towards the alarm-clock, praying I am due mercy.

6:15

I sigh silently to no-one. Dress silently. Eat silently. Leave silently.

Sunrise, my sole companion.[/SIZE][/INDENT]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE="1"][CENTER][B]Surprise [/B][/CENTER]
[pindent=1]Two dollars: it was all she had. Not enough for the pretty bow that was selling for three. She was tempted to take it, but could not and left. Papa would not approve.[/pindent]
[pindent=1]So she skipped home after putting her two dollars back in her pocket, only to find the ribbon waiting on her bed.[/pindent][/SIZE]