OtakuBoards

Indiana Jones

I seriously can't believe there's no thread. Well, here it is. The official Otakuboards discussion thread for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls. And those other three. You can talk about them, too.

Personally, I'm pretty excited. I'm a pretty big Harrison Ford fan and a continuation of such an epic series is long overdue. I may not be able to make it opening day, but I'm definitely going to as soon as I can. Also, Shia Lebouf's in it. I'm not sure what I think of that, but I'm a lot more tolerant of him than a few other people are, so I figure it's not so bad. I'm just wondering if Harrison's doing all his own stunts this time.

[SIZE="1"]Obligatory Trailer.

[CENTER][YOUTUBE="Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skul"]lPTJ4v6KPrg[/YOUTUBE][/CENTER]

Despite the fact I'll definitely see this on it's opening weekend, the idea of reviving a series this old isn't something I'm convinced totally by, hopefully it'll be better than Stallone's latest revivals anyway.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Despite the fact I'll definitely see this on it's opening weekend, the idea of reviving a series this old isn't something I'm convinced totally by, hopefully it'll be better than Stallone's latest revivals anyway.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I trust it will be amazing simply because it's Spielburg. And the man is a magician with film. I love the fact that since Harrison Ford is now much older, Indiana Jones is as well. You just know that LeBouf's character will be cracking jokes about his age throughout the whole movie.

I just wish I didn't work at the theatre on opening day. :([/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Ah, it may be good simply because it's Spielberg, but let's hope it doesn't suffer from "Spielberg Syndrome," a dangerous coniditon for films in which they have several sensible places to end the film, only to end it for real an hour later. It can be deadly.

Snapping sharply back to reality for a second, I am quite looking forward to this film, much to the chagrin of some of my Indy-purist friends, who believe it's heresy or something to revive the series. I loved the look of the trailers, and I've been following the progress of this film for a long while now. Hope it lives up to expectations.

If nothing else, it should fill the gap before The Dark Knight comes out in July.
[/SIZE]

I'll be seeing this movie over the weekend. Unless they totally mess it up I'm thinking it's going to be good. And if by some chance they do totally mess it up, I'm hoping it's a case of once being worth it. I certainly hope so since I really liked the first three... Well first and third, second wasn't exactly my favorite. XP

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='Rachmaninoff']Well first and third, second wasn't exactly my favorite. XP[/QUOTE]
Everyone I talk to that has seen the originals says that as well. Was the second really that bad?

I saw Indy 4 last night with my Dad and I've got to say, I loved it. It was better then Prince Caspian and it was just as good as Iron Man (definitely not better, though). The whole movie was just a real adventure and I was pissed when I had to go to the bathroom for 5 minutes in the middle of it. lol

The dialogue was witty and well-written. Shai LaBeouf was excellent as Mutt. I was worried he would be playing that same role he always plays in every other movie/show, but he did a pretty good job of being unique.

As for the actual story, it was... alright. It was great in the sense that it brought the heroes to a bunch of different exotic locations but the ending was so... [i]George Lucas[/i]. About halfway through the movie it was pretty easy to predict certain things about the actual Crystal Skull and I just don't think the ending justified the series. And that's coming from someone who's never even seen the first 3.

[spoiler]Seriously, inter-dimensional beings? Come on, Lucas.[/spoiler]

[quote name='myself][font=tahoma][color=dimgray]You just know that LeBouf's character will be cracking jokes about his age throughout the whole movie.[/color'][/font][/quote]
And I was [i]so right[/i]. "What are you? 80?" Ahaha.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I saw Indy 4 last night with my Dad and I've got to say, I loved it. It was better then Prince Caspian and it was just as good as Iron Man (definitely not better, though). The whole movie was just a real adventure and I was pissed when I had to go to the bathroom for 5 minutes in the middle of it. lol[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

This has me pumped. I've heard Iron Man is awesome and I watched Prince Caspian yesterday, which I thought was even better than the first Narnia movie. Too bad they cut my favorite line from the book, but stuff happens.

Also, nice to hear Shia's actually doing something new here. Makes me feel much better about seeing this.

I [I]really[/I] wanna see the Indiana Jones movie!!!:animecry: I'm begging my dad to take me because my mom's gonna be on a business trip or somethin'. But the movie trailer itself is already interesting! So much so that I even signed up for Aceburner's RPG spoof of Indiana Jones! (I urge anyone to go to the audition sub forum and look it up!)

[SIZE="1"]You know, I'm not such a die-hard Indy fan, but I can't help but be nervous about any series resurrection these days. I mean, Star Wars I-III, for instance: a total rape of my childhood -___-

But seriously. The surprising thing is that this movie actually looks good. I don't know if any of you have played Assassin's Creed, but a lot of the plot elements from the new Indy movie remind me of all the cryptic writing at the end of the game. Like the Nazca lines seen in the previews and the crystal skulls themselves (they were in there, I think...?). Anyway, I'm pretty pumped ^^ Esp if it's better than Prince Caspian... that movie rocked.

[quote name='Aceburner']This has me pumped. I've heard Iron Man is awesome and I watched Prince Caspian yesterday, which I thought was even better than the first Narnia movie. Too bad they cut my favorite line from the book, but stuff happens.[/QUOTE]

So what[I] is[/I] your favorite line from the book?[/SIZE]

[quote name='are i'][SIZE="1"]So what[I] is[/I] your favorite line from the book?[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

It's during the part of the book, I think right before everyone else gets to see Aslan. They try to go through the ford, then they go back to the cliff area and Aslan shows Lucy the secret path. On the way down, she says something that almost sounds smug, but not quite. Then either Peter or Edmund (I forget which) replies with something along the lines of "You're a hero, Lucy! That's the closest you've come all day to saying 'I told you so!'"

It's pretty much the best line in the series.

My friend and I had an argument about the new booby-traps in the Indiana Jones movies. He says that absolutely nothing can ever beat the boulder from the first movie as a booby-trap. But I think that the new Indiana Jones had a good one with the inter-dimensional space portal. He hated the movie with a passion but he went in there thinking it was going to be like the old movies. I watched it knowing it was going to appeal to the movie goers of this current generation where they need aliens and vaporization for the movie to be good and giant boulders or melting just wont cut it anymore.

So what I'm saying is: Yes the boulder is a fantastic booby-trap and it's a classic, and yes it completely annihilates the whole new movie just in that scene. But Spielberg tried in this movie to make it interesting [COLOR="black"](there were freakin aliens c'mon)[/COLOR] and it was a good effort because a lot of people did actually like the movie.

What's better? Old generation traps, or new?

(My first thread btw)

Finally saw it today. I liked it well enough; not as much as the first or third in the series, but it certainly wasn't an insult to the franchise or anything. Anyway, Cate Blanchett was [i]smoking hot[/i]... she and Karen Allen would've made the film for me even if the rest of it wasn't enjoyable. I just hope they don't try to pass the lead role to Shia LaBeouf in the future. He's good sidekick material, but no one could fill Harrison Ford's shoes. Anyway, I thought this made for a great end, and hopefully they intended it that way.

~Dagger~

This was a great movie. The previous movies were all about the 40's pulp adventure movies that Lucas and Speilberg grew up as a kid. This was all campy, B style Sci-Fi movie. And it was great!

I mean, come on. A temple [spoiler]that is built around a space ship[/spoiler]. That just screams kick ***.

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I saw Crystal Skulls on opening night and I was actually pretty disappointed. I won't say it was a bad movie and I don't regret seeing it but it kind of let me down as far as Indiana Jones goes. It has the classic movie lack of realism like [spoiler]a large number of soldiers all shooting at a single man without hitting him (on multiple occasions)[/spoiler] but that kind of thing doesn't bother me - I expect it by now and it generally tends to be amusing.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]There were a number of things that did bother me though. First of all, [spoiler]I thought the crystal skull they were carrying around was pretty corny looking. I don't know how they could have made it look better but I wasn't crazy about it. I also didn't like the fact that after making it to that epic looking temple, they went through all of three rooms before revealing what bothered me most about this movie - the alien.[/spoiler] This really just didn't fit into the whole Indiana Jones setting if you ask me. I honestly thought that it completely ruined the ending of the movie and a good number of the people I was with agreed.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]That being said though, Harrison Ford was still excellent, there were quite a few good moments, and the movie itself was entertaining. Like I said, I'm glad I saw it but it didn't live up to its expectations for me.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Oh pishposh, Petie and other naysayers, [spoiler]the interdimensional aliens fit in just as well as the destructive Ark of Covenant, the glowing stones of Shiva and the healing powers of the Holy Grail from the earlier movies. If you're looking for realism, you've obviously watched the wrong movie. The whole alien-theme was supposed to be a nod to the B-class sci-fi movies of the old days, anyway.[/spoiler]

Me and my boyfriend watched the three previous movies before we went to see the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull yesterday. I have to say that the light-hearted, adventurous spirit was pretty much the same, only the visual side was upgraded. In comparison to the dungeons and temples and other locations of the first three movies, the ones in the new movie were both convincing and breathtaking ([spoiler]especially the cemetery gave me the creeps[/spoiler]).

As for the cast, Ford as Indy hasn't aged that well, but he still packed a punch. Shia LaBoeuf was hot and spicety. It was fun to see some tie-in characters to the previous movies ([spoiler]Marion and the pictures of Brody and Henry Jones Sr.[/spoiler]). Cate Blanchett as a villain was both interesting and gorgeous.

So yeah, I liked the movie a lot, and I think it did great justice to the previous movies. (Which reminds me: [B]8bit[/B], if you haven't seen the other movies, you can't really make comparisons like that. ;P )

[quote]Oh pishposh, Petie and other naysayers, [spoiler]the interdimensional aliens fit in just as well as the destructive Ark of Covenant, the glowing stones of Shiva and the healing powers of the Holy Grail from the earlier movies. If you're looking for realism, you've obviously watched the wrong movie. The whole alien-theme was supposed to be a nod to the B-class sci-fi movies of the old days, anyway.[/spoiler][/quote]

That's what I've been saying all along! Thanks Sandy for bringing a little bit of common sense to this discussion. Indiana Jones is a big love letter from Lucas and Spielberg to the campy adventure novels they would read as a kid. KotCS was a nod to the B Science Fiction movies.

You know, those movies with pretty bad acting and weird plots like the Killer Teenagers from Mars.

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I added spoiler tags to your quote. Please make sure you use them in the future as there are still plenty of people who haven't seen the movie yet.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]- Petie[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Okay, I'll admit I haven't seen the originals in a long time so my opinion of the ending not fitting in may be slightly off. I guess in the end, I really just didn't like the turn it took which wasn't so much about fitting in as it was a matter of personal taste. [spoiler]Though I still think the alien was pretty out there regardless of the original movies' themes...[/spoiler][/COLOR][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]I didn't care for it. [spoiler]The whole alien thing ruined it for me.[/spoiler] I did enjoy all the Indy action, though I did miss Sean Connery. :([/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]And I agree with Dagger on this statement. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][quote]I just hope they don't try to pass the lead role to Shia LaBeouf in the future. He's good sidekick material, but no one could fill Harrison Ford's shoes.[/quote][/SIZE]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]Added spoilers.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]-Petie[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Dagger']I just hope they don't try to pass the lead role to Shia LaBeouf in the future. He's good sidekick material, but no one could fill Harrison Ford's shoes.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I've heard that's what the plan may be if they ever make more. That can go either way for me, I think. If Shia can pull off another break from his normal nerdy loser character and give us a decent replacement (will require plenty of swordfights even better than the one in the jungle chase,) I say go for it. If not, stop the franchise I want to get off. That said, yes. Ford is a hard act to follow.

I liked the movie. It was a nice addition to the franchise. Maybe not as epic as Last Crusade, but that one had Sean Connery in it. Not just a picture of him.

Speaking of which, [spoiler]It's kind of funny how they killed off his dad like that. I mean, he drank from the Holy Grail in the last one. You'd think he'd last a little longer.[/spoiler][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]If this were the Roman Coliseum and I was Caesar, I would give the thumbs down.

And then have everyone involved with the plot fed to lions.

For 'lo, I was in great distress. [spoiler]ALIENS! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?![/spoiler] And before you get upset about that, at least the mystical beings in all previous movies were based around Earth not [spoiler]Inter-Dimensional traveling beings.[/spoiler] Shiva, Indian God. Ark of Covenant, the Hebrew God. Holy Grail, see: Medieval God.
I rate Temple of Doom infinitely higher than this. At least in the Temple of Doom the female characters had sex appeal.[/FONT][/COLOR]