OtakuBoards

"short" anime series

visualkei

Alright, so my time off is dwindling down before I have to haul myself back to work. Before that, I'd like to start and finish some anime series. Are there any suggestions for an anime series that is, simply put, short and sweet? My taste in anime is usually within the "shounen" range, so if you can have that in mind, that would be great.

Some I consider short and sweet are: FLCL, Trigun, Death Note.

Are there any recommendations, and can you let me know why you'd suggest the series?

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Try "I's Pure", can be found on youtube. Its only 9 episodes but its a very touching and emotional romance story... if youre into that kind of thing. Its the story that got me into romance and romantic comedy stories.

BUT! Since your looking for more shounen type shows, i would recommend either Evangelion, Fullmetal panic, Gungrave or most peoples weakness....Rozen Maiden ( DESU YAY ). *Ahem* *Ahem* [/COLOR]

[font=trebuchet ms] [b]Full Metal Alchemist[/b], one of the best anime I've seen. I really recommend that you watch it. However, it is 51 episodes. Short compared to shows like Bleach and Naruto, but not as short as shows that you mentioned.

You could might give [b]Gunbuster[/b] and/or [b]Gunbuster 2[/b] (also known as [b]Diebuster[/b]) a try (Gunbuster 2 is the sequel, but it stands alone as well). They're very short, made by Gainax.

[/font]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Each season of [B]Digimon[/B] is about 48-52 episodes, which is relatively short. Also, each one other than 2 is a stand-alone series. I recommend the first or third season if you go along this route (providing you haven't already seen them.)

Also, [B]Lupin III[/B]. It's not short by any means, but each episode is more or less a completely unrelated incident, which means you can watch a few, get your fix and come back later without missing much at all. You can basically stop wherever you want.

Finally, Catch a few Miyazaki movies. Maybe a little shorter than you had in mind, but they're mind-blowingly awesome and worth watching multiple times.[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]La Portrait de Petite Cosette, is a 3 episode OVA, and I suggest watching it. They have it in English, for it has been on the Fuse network. With only 3 episodes, it's pretty good, and by that I mean it's excellent.

I agree with Lunox on Fullmetal, it's a brilliant piece of work, all of it. No episode is a waste imo. The episode Mother really effects me. But I think Conquerer of Shambala was a bit of a disappointment, it begged another movie.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

A couple short ones that come to mind.. that are still very solid.. :

Basilisk - Touching ninja story, incredible ending, and solid action. Worth much more than the time invested watching it.

Trinity Blood - Ultimate in catho-fanatic holy-war nut fantasy-fiction. Vampires and the church, with futuristic weapons. Huzzah.

Samurai Deeper Kyo - I find very few reasons to recommend this, but still do. Decent story line - if not a little jumpy/space-y - but still worth watching I guess.

Elfen Lied - Very good action/story, touching and gruesome at the same time.

BECK - Words can't express it's awesomeness. Oh wait, they just did. Anyways, it's a very 'cool' rock-band story, and very inspiring.

Outlaw Star - For reasons stated by others.

Slightly Longer but not insane-o naruto/bleach/inuyasha long.. :

Fullmetal Alchemist - See other posts above.

Air Gear - This series is just flat out fun, and the characters are awesome. It 'can' be dramatic, but not really.

Saiyuki - One thing to note about this series it its poor dubbing. It's a fairly fun series that reminded me *alot* of the feel of shows like Inuyasha and Bleach, but without spending 6 episodes to tell one episodes worth of plot; both a positive and negative.

No one's mentioned much super-shoujo. :(

[B]Petite Princess Yucie[/B] Short and adorable, but the ending is 'wtj'.

[B]Princess Tutu[/B] I adored this. But again.. the ending made me groan in frustration.

I more enjoy the magical girl or school drama shows than anything like Bleach or FMA. FMA depressed me. XD

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Elfen Lied= 13 (or 14) episodes
Hellsing= 13 episodes
Hellsing Ultimate (the OVA)= 4 episodes (I recommend this one over the "original" anime)
Wolf's Rain= 30 (or 26) episodes
Escaflowne= 26 episodes
Claymore= 26 episodes
Heat Guy J= 30 episodes (or 26, I'm not sure...)
Cowboy Bebop= 26 episodes

If you're looking for immediate satisfaction I recommend Elfen Lied, Hellsing Ultimate, Claymore, and Cowboy Bebop. However, Wolf's Rain and Heat Guy J have amazing conclusions! ^.^ Escaflowne is shounen, but it leans a little towards the shoujo side I think...[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]It hasn't been mentioned yet, but I'd certainly recommend [B]Samurai Champloo[/B] if you're into the shounen stuff. Like a lot of the others mentioned, it's only 26 episodes long, and it's definitely enjoyable for what it does.

Another unmentioned one as well would be [B]Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo[/B], visually it's a treat one you get used to the style, the story itself is a classic and you will find yourself enthralled overall by it.[/SIZE]

Hmm a couple that haven't been mentioned would be:

Blue Seed
Blue Gender
Please Teacher!
dotHACK//SIGN
dotHACK//LIMINALITY

Blue Seed and Blue Gender are a bit older, but still good. Please teacher, I think is pretty funny, a strange story, but funny still. The dotHACK's are a personal favorite of mine, I like the world very much.