OtakuBoards

Street Fighter IV

Magus

Wow, no thread for perhaps the best fighting game.

Heh, while everyone seems to be clamouring over Fallout 3, Dead Space and Gears of War 2, and that's fine and dandy, but none of those games caught my interest. Perhaps it's, because I'm losing interesting in the FPS genre "shrugs". I've always been a fan of the Street Fighter (And VS series.... Tatsunoko vs Capcom looks sexy) and this is my most anticipated game bar none. (The new SF anime looks hot, too.)

Anyway, scheduled to come come out the first quarter of winter for the consoles. (I hear that it's out for the arcades already... I've not been to an arcade in years) I'm certain we've all seen the pictures that're floating around to boast it's graphics and whatnot. Speaking of which, I love it, but at the same time, I hate the look of Ryu and Ken. They are, um, weird looking, lol. (What happened, Capcom?)

I believe they have a full roster of characters, atleast according to [url]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/MidgetBottle/1226275908626.jpg?t=1226282214[/url]. I'm not certain if there will be unlockable characters or not. There's been talk about it at other forums.

I was hoping to see Guy in this game. Seeing how Fei Long is in the game, I was hoping to see a Guy vs Fei Long fight. The characters below Honda and Ken, who are they? I don't think I've ever seen them before. I know the newer characters are in the row below Bison. And then the bottom row, the old guy on the right, whose that?

Discuss.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I'm going to snag this game when it comes out on the PC, just so I can use my joystick for it. But to answer some of your questions, yes it's already out in arcades. Been there for about 3 months or so. Also, just to Get the characters straight for everyone

First Row: Fei Long, Cammy, Akuma, Gouken
Second Row: Dhalsim, Blanka, Chun Li, Ryu
Third Row: E. Honda, Zangief, Guile, Ken
Fourth Row: Seth (final boss), Random select
Fifth Row: Bison, Sagat, Vega, Balrog
Sixth Row: Abel, C. Viper, Rufus, El Blaze
Seventh Row: Sakura, Rose (from Street Fighter Alpha), Dan, Gen (from Street Fighter Alpha)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I?m definitely going to pick this up for my brother?s PS3 when it releases (or maybe he will, haha). The game looks incredibly smooth in motion.

I?ve pretty much played all of the other Capcom fighting games to death already, so I?m really looking forward to doing the same with this title. Plus, with school hogging all of my time, this would be the perfect game to play for short sessions here and there. [/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I played the SF4 arcade beta about 6 months ago, I liked it but it seems there are some character balancing issues since then that needs to be addressed.

Zangief is totally dominating in Japan right now, good range, huge damage, can go through fireballs, among other things, check out the online videos on youtube.

I'll be picking up the Japanese PS3 copy when it's released in February.[/COLOR]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Yeah, Gief is finally top Tier in a game for once! However Gief does lack one thing that all other characters have and that's the ability to break through Focus Attacks. While Gief can cause massive amounts of damage and use his focus attack to absorb fireballs (and dash right after them), he's still very susceptible to being zoned out by characters like Sagat, Ryu, Ken, or any character with a projectile (which is like half the cast). They have a machine up in Alberquerque that's acutally a non-beta machine and the gameplay balancing that needed to be fixed has been ironed out and we're finally playing and learning a brand new Street Fighter. Too bad it's been about 10 years since the last true SF game came out (3rd strike was out in 1999 I believe)[/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Fourth Row: Seth (final boss), Random select
[/FONT][/QUOTE]
Ouch... I'm up here looking for a face and didn't even bother thinking that was a question mark. :animeswea

So, how are the new characters? I'm mainly interested in Crimson Viper and Abel... (I want to call that guy Alex or Cody) I kind of have high hopes for Abel. The clips of him puttin a beat down on Guile looked, too good.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Here's my break down of the new faces

C.Viper: Interesting playstyle, chargeable moves, excellent Ultra, looks flashy. However, her pokes are mega slow and you will get beat out by most other moves. Probably a character best suited for experts.

Abel: Cool character with a lot of mindgames and mixup oppourtunities. Command grabs look cool and are easy to combo into. Crouching Fierce is your BNB for your Ultra, practically guaranteed big damage. Rekka is too good and sets up lots of 50/50 mixups. But Abel is easy to punish if he's guessed right. A good character, but not top tier by any means.

Rufus: Top tier, and for good reason. Rufus may be fat, but he has some great options. His dive kicks are practically unstoppable and completely safe. His EX messiah kick will drive your opponents insane, because of its uses. Can combo easily into Ultra and is just a great character overall.

ElFuerte: Weird but fun character. His Body Splash can create a lot of interesting oppourtunities, and he has an infinite combo (which is probably fixed by now, but who knows?) He's got a nifty looking Ultra, and is probably going to be Mid-tier or Mid-Low.[/FONT]

• 1 month later...
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"][quote name='Magus']I was hoping to see Guy in this game. Seeing how Fei Long is in the game, I was hoping to see a Guy vs Fei Long fight.[/QUOTE]

One game: Street Fighter Alpha 3 <3

I dunno, I haven't been truly interested in this game. But when I think about it, I wasn't truly interested in Street Fighter 3 until I played in, and I'm madly in love with it, now.

Guess I just need to get my hands on it before I can feel it. ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
[color=darkgreen]I don't think anyone talks about Dan because he's not really all that good. Atleast I don't think he was. I know everytime me or my brother chose him, we'd always bust out laughing and could never finish the fight.

So what system/console will people get this for? I'll be going with the 360, not like I have a choice in the matter lol. If I had a ps3 too, I'd probably get it for that over the 360 seeing how I'm so used to playing the Street Fighter series with the PS controller. (Especially with me coming off of SFA3.)[/color]

[quote name='Magus'][color=darkgreen]I don't think anyone talks about Dan because he's not really all that good. Atleast I don't think he was. I know everytime me or my brother chose him, we'd always bust out laughing and could never finish the fight.[/color][/quote]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]Well, it's easy to say Dan sucks, but you gotta remember, he's a joke character in every sense of the word. It's fun to play as him, but he does have strategies and moves just like everyone else. Winning with Dan really isn't a joke as much as it is a challenge. Alpha 2 Dan wasn't half bad though...[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name=' Magus][color=darkgreen']So what system/console will people get this for? I'll be going with the 360, not like I have a choice in the matter lol. If I had a ps3 too, I'd probably get it for that over the 360 seeing how I'm so used to playing the Street Fighter series with the PS controller. (Especially with me coming off of SFA3.)[/color][/quote]
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]
I'm going to get this for the 360 as well, because I already own a joystick for the 360 and it would be silly to get it for any other system. Plus I own the HDMI cables for the 360 too...so I'll get to enjoy my SF4 in HD quality.

I hear you on the PS/ Xbox controller though, Magus. Those things are horrible.....the 360 controllers anyways. But I wish I could get a Sega Saturn controller. Those things were made for fighters, imo.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]Well, it's easy to say Dan sucks, but you gotta remember, he's a joke character in every sense of the word. It's fun to play as him, but he does have strategies and moves just like everyone else. Winning with Dan really isn't a joke as much as it is a challenge. Alpha 2 Dan wasn't half bad though...[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[Color=darkgreen]Yeah, I'm well aware of Dan being a joke character, and I agree that it was fun to play as him from time to time. We just couldn't ever finish a fight because of the noises he would make (YAHOO!!!), and laughing pretty hard. I think it was Alpha 2 where we heard that for the first time.[/color]

[QUOTE=Korey][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]
I hear you on the PS/ Xbox controller though, Magus. Those things are horrible.....the 360 controllers anyways. But I wish I could get a Sega Saturn controller. Those things were made for fighters, imo.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[color=darkgreen]You're the 6th person to say the 360 controllers were bad... I should probably go in here and check out these controllers and see what everyone is talking about. I haven't really paid attention my controllers since I just use the analog part... (Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry and whatnot) I also liked the Saturn controllers (Not that big clunky controller though.)[/color]

[quote name='Magus'][Color=darkgreen]Yeah, I'm well aware of Dan being a joke character, and I agree that it was fun to play as him from time to time. We just couldn't ever finish a fight because of the noises he would make (YAHOO!!!), and laughing pretty hard. I think it was Alpha 2 where we heard that for the first time.[/color][/quote]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]Yeah I think Dan's various sounds were funny too, although the funniest sounds were the ones your opponents made when they got beat by Dan. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name=' Magus][color=darkgreen']You're the 6th person to say the 360 controllers were bad... I should probably go in here and check out these controllers and see what everyone is talking about. I haven't really paid attention my controllers since I just use the analog part... (Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry and whatnot) I also liked the Saturn controllers (Not that big clunky controller though.)[/color][/quote]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][color="indigo"]The thing that's bad about 360 controllers is the buttons. They stick out, which makes them a pain to press in rapid succession. It really kind of grates on the fingers. I've seen people with blishters after trying to play on a 360 pad. The Saturn had better buttons for fighters, since the buttons curved inwards into the controller and made rapid and successive button presses easy.[/color][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Dooane']BIG day tomorrow! as SF4 is coming out! woot woot!:animesmil
who is getting the game? i know i am :animesmil[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]I actually already own the game, it's just a matter of picking it up. But for me here, it isn't till Wednesday. I dunno what the deal is, but no big deal. I'm not going to miss much.[/COLOR][/FONT]

2 days till this comes out in Aus. The main SF game I use to play was SF2 at the arcades and so it's been a really long time since I've played one. At the moment I'm not really sure whether to buy this on x360 or Dawn of War 2 for PC as they both come out on the same day. Sadly even with trade ins I'll only have money to really buy one or the other.

So what's the verdict on the game. A friend of mine told me that it lives up to the hype. IGN gave it a 9.3 out of 10 and X-Play gave it a 5 out of 5. (That already tells me something.)

I won't be getting the game anytime soon, but I will get it eventually. (I'm a "wait for a price drop" type of person.)

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Magus']So what's the verdict on the game. A friend of mine told me that it lives up to the hype. IGN gave it a 9.3 out of 10 and X-Play gave it a 5 out of 5. (That already tells me something.)

I won't be getting the game anytime soon, but I will get it eventually. (I'm a "wait for a price drop" type of person.)[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. Even finding a copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 is a crap shoot, and even then...you're not going to get it at the 20 bucks or less price. I suspect the same with SFIV.

Here's my official review of the game.

[B]Graphics (4.8 out of 5)[/B]- This game looks great and the art style that is used here is definitely unique. The art brush effect on the focus attacks is just so darn pretty. However, the game does have some goofy looking character designs (Blanka, for instance) and some of the facial expressions during the Ultra animation look pretty goofy. The backgrounds are wonderfully done, and looks like an actual part of the fight, with audience members falling onto the stage and actually participating in the fight. Way better than a boring backdrop of things repeating themselves.

[B]Sound (4.5 out of 5)[/B]- I'm going to overlook the VA work in English, because it just doesn't work. This makes FFX's voice acting look good and that's a pretty bad parallel. But if you switch the VA to Japanese, then everything is good. The music is just spot on, with remixes of all the character's classic themes. It sounds great rearranged and remastered. Capcom really out did themselves on that. The sound effects are right on where they need to be, with no miscellaneous "Boings" or "Sproinks" that are out of place.

[B]Gameplay (5 out of 5)[/B]- Every thing in this game is spot on. The controls are responsive, the moves come out like they should and the combo system, while complex at high levels of gameplay, is relatively easy for even beginners to pull off. The game definitely has a learning curve, but it's also accessible enough for even the beginning Hadoken-er to pick up and play. The character balancing is on par for Street Fighter, with some characters filling in the high tier spots and others falling in place. However, no match is terribly unbalanced and with practice, even the lowest of characters can become a contender. The replay value on the game is suprisingly high given for a fighting game. Even after completing the Arcade mode, Capcom included a Challenge Mode, where you can do Time Attack (try to complete the stages before running out of time), Survival (complete the stages without running out of health), and Trial (where you learn specific moves and combos for your character). The amount of time that you can spend in Challenge mode is virtually endless. Eager to test your skills against the world? Capcom provides two ways for online battle to take place. By signing into your XBOX live or Playstation Network account, you can challenge other players, or have them challenge you while playing the Arcade Mode. This recreates the experience of arcade play, because any opponent can challenge you at any time. The online play is seemless, and you can adjust your options for stablility (to reduce laggy challengers), for opponents of equal skill (determined by your ranking) or if you're gutsy, opponents of higher skill levels. But online isn't only limited to fighting. There is also down loadable content from the XBOX Live Marketplace and PSN Store, including alternate costumes and colors. Capcom really missed no minute detail when creating the game.
[B]
Overall (4.7 out of 5)[/B]- With some tiny gripes, the game delivers on the Hype that Street Fighter fans have been salivating for for over a year. With the expansive replay value and great online play, the game is sure to dominate the fighting game scene for many years to come. Even if you're not a big fan of fighting games, passing up on this gem would be a huge mistake.[/COLOR][/FONT]

This has quickly become my second, possibly alltime favorite fighting game. I unfortunately lost in the first round of my local gamestop's tournament (I was also the first match!) though it was such a great fight I didn't mind. So far, I've spent most of my time playing Ken, since I couldn't use unlockable characters for the tourney and he was my best choice. However, I kick far more *** with Cammy, so now that the tourney's over I'm using her.

I have to say, I've never been so [i]good[/i] at a fighting game before. Maybe it's just that I'm finally learning how to play them correctly, but this is the first fighting game where I've managed to string together combos like a pro and kick some real ***. I'm definitely loving that sensation.

[quote name='2009DigitalBoy']This has quickly become my second, possibly alltime favorite fighting game. I unfortunately lost in the first round of my local gamestop's tournament (I was also the first match!) though it was such a great fight I didn't mind. So far, I've spent most of my time playing Ken, since I couldn't use unlockable characters for the tourney and he was my best choice. However, I kick far more *** with Cammy, so now that the tourney's over I'm using her.

I have to say, I've never been so [i]good[/i] at a fighting game before. Maybe it's just that I'm finally learning how to play them correctly, but this is the first fighting game where I've managed to string together combos like a pro and kick some real ***. I'm definitely loving that sensation.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]I don't think that SFIV is that shallow to where "pro combos" can be pulled off by anyone that picks it up after not playing fighting games seriously. A lot of the earlier games in the SF series condition people for what to do in SFIV. Not to say you are bad or anything, I just find it hard to pick up SFIV in high levels without knowing some stuff...like linking vs cancelling....Kara Cancelling, mixups....etc etc.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]I am, quite frankly, in love with Street Fighter 4. Its perfect on so many levels. Looks great, plays great, sounds great, is great.

I really enjoy the cast of characters, some being better than others.

Huge fan of C. Viper, but I hate Rufus immensely. Akuma's special has never looked so good. I'm quite a fan, and I've picked up on it so well.
It seems easier than the previous games. The input timing is a little bit more forgiving, and the characters just FEEL a bit more weighty. Might be because it's in 3D.

Either way, this game is love.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]I don't think that SFIV is that shallow to where "pro combos" can be pulled off by anyone that picks it up after not playing fighting games seriously. A lot of the earlier games in the SF series condition people for what to do in SFIV. Not to say you are bad or anything, I just find it hard to pick up SFIV in high levels without knowing some stuff...like linking vs cancelling....Kara Cancelling, mixups....etc etc.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

"Pro" is a figure of speech here, I'm not saying I could compete or anything - as I said, I lost in the very first match of my local Gamestop tourney. And even then, I'm not saying I learned this stuff instantly, I did some very intensive Ken training for about a week playing at least 20 or so hours before the tourney. However, I've never ever been able to pull off anything in other fighting games. Even in my alltime favorite, Guilty Gear X2, I've always sucked at trying to use any kind of strategy beyond clever usage of my characters' stats. This is the first fighting game I've ever been good at.

• 7 months later...
I'm pretty certain that Korey's already aware of the latest rumor but, for everyone else that don't know there's a rumor that Street Fighter IV is already getting a sequel with 10 extra characters. 8 returning characters and 2 new characters.

SF3: Ibuki, Makoto, and Dudley
SF2: Dee Jay and T-Hawk
SFA: Guy (YAY!!!), Cody and Adon

It's just rumored, but if it turns out to be true I'm glad that I haven't bought SFIV as of yet.

[url=http://streetfighterblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/rumor-street-fighter-iv-dash-characters.html][i]Link[/i][/url]