OtakuBoards

Where are you?

ChibiHorsewoman

[B][FONT=fiolex girls][SIZE="7"][COLOR="Magenta"]H[/color][/size][/font][/b][FONT= monotype corsiva ][SIZE="4"][COLOR=#9933ff]ey ya'll. Well I'm bored and I think we need some more life in this board, so I think I'll bring up an oldie but goodie and ask where everyone is.

But this time it's a twist because I think you should also put in what your area is known for or what's worth seeing. Also, if you've lived in other cities, states or even countries you can fill everyone in on those as well. Okay so maybe it's not the best thought out post, but it's something right?

Okay then, I'm in Western New York State living in the snow belt.I live about fifteen to thirty minutes away from Lake Ontario depending on which beach I want to go to. And we have one of the oldest Amusement parks in North America.

The closest city is Rochester which is now calling themself the Center City for some reason I haven't caught yet. In my humble opinion the best time to come visit is from May to September when we have all our festivals starting with the [B]Lilac Festival[/B] which proves why Rochester is known as the FLOWER City (We used to be the Flour City because of our location on the Genessee River and all the flour mills) OF course the Taste of Rochester Fest is good too. They have all sorts of food there. Yum.

Yeah that's it for now. I'll fill you in some more later.[/color][/size][/font]

I live in Maryland, about 15 minutes from Annapolis, which is a fairly large tourist attraction in itself. Lots of old buildings, Naval Academy, State House, all that fun stuff. So a good enough place to come to look at historical stuff.
And Baltimore's not too far either, and has a few cool art museums and of course the burial site of Edgar Allen Poe.

I'm not sure if DC even qualifies, since it's about 1.5 horus away, but the cherry blossom festival there in the spring is just gorgeous, and quite a bit of fun. All the usual festivity events and food. And there's also several museums of art, history, and science which are fantastic.

I live in Christchurch, New Zealand. We are perhaps best known for our Anglican Cathedral, it is what our city is named after. There is an equally impressive Catholic Cathedral down the road, but it always plays second fiddle to it's older "brother."

Apart from the Cathedral, our city is known for it's gardens and green spaces (we used to be known as the Garden City, a tagline that we've let lapse recently, sadly.) Our city also plays host to a number of festivals each year, the most prolific being the World Buskers' Festival.

It's quite nice here, I wouldn't live anywhere else, except maybe Brisbane!

[FONT="Arial"]I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. What we are best known for is being the location for the headquarters of the LDS Church, or as they are more commonly known, the Mormons. I find this rather amusing since I am not a member of this religion but yet I still get asked if I am and people usually outright assume it.

Other than that we have good ski resorts and five national parks if you're the outdoorsy type. Though other than to ski occasionally, I've yet to take advantage of what's available here. I only moved here six years ago so I haven't gotten around to visiting all the parks yet.[/FONT]

[SIZE=1]I live in a small(ish) town called Reading, about 30 minutes on the train outside London. We used to be famous for beer (apparently India Pale Ale was invented in Reading), bulbs (the flower type, like daffodils, not the electric light type) and biscuits (a famous biscuit factory called Huntley and Palmers is still a fairly prominent building in the town).

However, all those industries seem to have gone kaput, and the main thing we're famous for is Reading Festival. This is considered the second largest UK music festival, second only to Glastonbury, and has been running since 1971. Last year the headline acts included Tenacious D and Metallica, so it's pretty huge for out small backwater town. Until 2007, we had WOMAD (World Of Music, Arts and Dance) festival, which was a bit more arty than Reading, and I used it as a jumping-off point - I started at WOMAD, then went to Reading Festival.

As for famous people from Reading, Ricky Gervais is from round here, and David Byron from Uriah Heep died in Reading. Somewhat more impressively, Oscar Wilde was imprisoned in Reading Prison for three years, and Jane Austen attended the Ladies Boarding School. According to Wikipedia, Charles Dickens was asked to stand for Member of Parliament for Reading. Kenneth Branagh, Dawn French, Lenny Henry, Sam Mendes and Kate Winslet all either live here currently or have in the past. We're also quite close to Henley, where Orlando Bloom has a house.
[/SIZE]

[FONT="Times New Roman"]I'm in Detroit, Michigan. ("sigh" again..) About 5 minutes from Highland Park. 10 minutes from Downtown Detroit, and 10 minutes from Southfield. (We're literally in the center, between a lot of cities..) What is Detroit noted for, besides no jobs and some of the most dummest criminals? (I swear they can piss you off if you see the type of crap they're pulling these days.) Cars and music...

Well, I don't know if I'd say we deserve that title "Motor City" anymore with the way the big 3 is at the moment. (Or is it officially the big 2 now? I hate keeping up with the news.) We're also called Motown for having most of the famous singers like Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross and quite a few more people that slips my mind at the moment, being born in Detroit.

I guess the last thing we're noted for is the worlds worst football team. 0-16, meh, they should just go ahead and sell the Lions. Other than that, that's about all I know about Detroit. (You would think there's stuff to do in Detroit, being a famous city and all.)

I've also been in Arizona (Avondale) for a good month and some change. I was suppose to go to school there, but they didn't have the program I wanted so I ended up going for nothing. (I was suppose to have went to Sacremento, CA) But I ended up using that month of spare time as vacation time, sorta.... Only thing is I didn't have much to do. No car, and roommates were already going to class then. If I had done things a little differently though, I'd still be in Arizona at this moment.[/FONT]

[color=darkgreen][font=garamond]That mormon temple looks amazing, I still have a picture of it somewhere that used to be on my wall. I've been to Reading, too, for just a few days but I love medieval history (we don't get much of it where I am) so good times. And Detroit is of course the home and birthplace of one of my favourite styles of music!

But I live in Brisbane. In coorparoo actually, which is only fifteen or twenty minutes from the centre of town. There are many nice houses in this suburb but I don't live in one of them. Brisbane is known for... um... I don't know! I know it as the capital of my state, I guess you need an outsider's perspective. But I guess if you were going to come here I'd take you to Southbank, which is on the river in the city, a big complex of nice walkways, rainforests, lawns, public swimming areas and restaurants. Closeby is the Cultural Centre, with the Queensland Performing Arts Centre, Museum, ScienCenter, State Library and the newly opened Gallery of Modern Art.

Things I like about Brisbane are: excellent public transport system, heaps of awesome universities - three massive ones, UQ, QUT and Griffith, and heaps of singular campus ones like Bond, Shafston, etc. And it's pretty small for a big city. Which is what I want. And huge nightlife. [/color][/font]

I live smack dab in the middle of Atlanta, Georgia. Which is known as the Hip Hop capital of the world. (Young Jeezy closed down 4 square blocks en route to my school one time to film a rap video.) Its also the home of the World of Coke, Turner Broadcasting, and the headquarters of Delta Airlines (for which my dad is a pilot).

Other than Atlanta, I've lived in Tomah, Wisconsin, which pretty much has nothing in it except for a military fort called Fort McCoy, named after my great grandfather who was a general in WWII, and a butt load of dairy farms.

I've also lived in alot of other places, including New Jersey and Texas, but unfortunately not long enough to be able to tell you anything about them.

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Nezzyjean, Atlanta sounds interesting. My mom's company is based there so she travels down there from time to time, but I've only had lay overs there on my way to Dallas or Augusta. I've heard the driving is horrendous.

And for what ever reason when I see Reading I think Pennsylvania not England. Ruddy Hell.

Okay so I forgot to mention that Rochester has one of the oldest public cemetary in the US, Mount Hope Cemetary was founded in 1838 during a Cholera epidemic and is final resting place to people such as Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass. Susan B Anthony's house is also open for tours.

Rochester is also home to the Strong National Museum of Play which is the only Museum dedicated to play. I go there a few times a month. I'd also mention Kodak, but they've laid off about as many people as we have in the cemetary, so really why bother?

I also lived in Killeen Texas for a year. It wasn't that exciting and the only reason it's even considered a city is because Ft. Hood- the largest military base in the free world. I lived down there in 2003 when Bush got the bright idea to invade Iraq. I don't know who else knows this, but Ft. Hood is home to First Cav. and Fourth ID and first First Cav was supposed to be the first over to Iraq, but then they changed and sent Fourth ID instead (ID is short for Infantry Division) It wasn't too bad living off base and having to do everything on base. Except when Bush would come to visit the base. Then they'd shut everything down. I was late to a doctor appointment once because of Bush, come to think of it that's why I ended up pregnant.[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='DeLarge'][SIZE=1]I live in a small(ish) town called Reading
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][I]READING[/I].

My dad lives there. 8D I actually quite like it when I go to visit. There are a lot of nice areas in easy driving distance to go walking in.

I, myself, live in a suburb of [B]Liverpool[/B], European Capital of Culture 2008. On the downside, Liverpool is known for a high rate of violence and thievery, which I...won't deny, as I'm not a native. I don't like it here. But some redeeming features are the gorgeous architecture, the highly rated universit(ies), and the two Cathedrals on either end of Hope Street. Oh, the football club, too. I suppose they deserve a mention.

And the Beatles.

I was born in Cape Town, [B]South Africa[/B], though, and still consider it my home even if I probably won't ever be able to go back. I've also lived in Essex, Thailand and Johannesburg. My dad's a contract engineer, so we used to move with his job, which was lovely.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I'm in Utah. =P South of Salt Lake City in a town called Provo. We're the third largest city in the state. Though that's not saying much since the population is only around 120,000 people. Well for Provo, that doesn't include the other surrounding cities. lol

What are we known for? For being 50 years behind the times! Want to know why? For the entire valley area it's about 88% Mormons, for the main cities: Provo & Orem, try 98% Mormon. So yeah. We get nominated the most conservative city in the entire freaking US for our population size on a regular basis. =_= Oh joy. Which means come voting time... my vote does nothing. There are too few Dems in the area, or anything else for that matter.

So what makes here fun? All the national parks and those few of us who do not belong to the Mormon collective. ([SIZE="1"]Yes that's an inside joke, sort of... basement kitteh will get it >_>[/SIZE]) I'm not totally serious but I've lived in Dallas Texas, Ventura California and all over the West Coast when I was driving... and so far I've yet to find a town that's more reserved. XP

Oh and we hosted the Hockey Venue for the 2002 Winter Olympics... =P[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote=Ezekiel][SIZE=1][I]READING[/I].

My dad lives there. 8D I actually quite like it when I go to visit. There are a lot of nice areas in easy driving distance to go walking in.[/SIZE] [/quote]

[SIZE=1]*jaw drops* OB meet-up, much?[/SIZE]

[size=1]MANCHESTER! =D

It's the real capital of England. And the [i]real[/i] culture (anyone who remotely thinks Liverpool is can swivel! Haha no I'm kidding ;) ) =p. What's it famous for? Moosik. Atmosphere. Emos. Old punks (namely the infamous Manchester Punks who aren't so Manchester anymore because they buggered off to Bolton and Brighton). Creepy homeless anarchists...

You have so many bands from Manchester. [b]Oasis[/b],[b]Joy Division[/b] (of course New Order too), [b]the Fall[/b] (my friend's mother was Una Baines! =D ), [B]Take That[/b]... so many others. Above all on June the 4th, 1976, the [B]Sex Pistols[/b] played the infamous gig at the Lesser Free Hall in Castlefield which gave rise to the [b]Madchester[/b] music scene: [B]Tony Wilson[/B], [B]the Hacienda[/B], [B]Factory Records[/b], [B]the Smiths[/b] and everything that revolved around that. In fact, there's so much info on that you might as well Wiki 'Madchester' and 'Music of Manchester'.

We also had the world's first [B]Public Library[/b] and [B]Passenger Railway Station[/b]. It was also one of the biggest growing cities during the industrial revolution, which is still evident (on the land we call the outskirts which is just between the City of Salford there's the remaining foundations of the old factories that were torn down). We also have [b]Trafford Park[/b] which was the world's first industrial park.

But these days we've also got Manchester's [B]Gay Village (Canal Street)[/b] which is, apparently, the gay capital of the UK. And it really is. You've also got [B]Urbis[/b] which is a huge glass building/museum and [B]Cathedral Gardens[/b] just below it, which hosts pretty much half of the alternative scene in the city. Not forgetting [B]Afflecks Palace[/b] which is your home for whatever weird crap you want to buy and has been through the fog for the past god-knows years.

You have everything here. The City Centre which is filled with all the history and culture, then the outskirts which is filled with lost history, then the industrial estates that were crippled by the collaspe of industry and further out to the slightly righer council estates and then, finally, the very very rich peoplez in near the all 'em forests and hills. You can take a camera out to Manchester and fill it up with hundreds of crazy shots of weird people, normal people, weird graffiti, normal graffiti, strange happenings and strange buildings.

To summerise, my home rocks. Muchly. And I bet none of you knew any of this =p.[/size]

[quote name='Vicky'][size=1]MANCHESTER! =D

To summerise, my home rocks. Muchly. And I bet none of you knew any of this =p.[/size][/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"]
ALSO, [B]JEREMY KYLE[/B].

I really need to go to Manchester more. The only times I've been there have been for concerts, which have always been a blast. I am probably one of the few UK females to have never gone shopping in Manchester, and people seem astounded when I say this.

Is the Bird Cage there or am I just imagining things? I hear it's awesome and I want to go.

[B]@DeLarge[/B]: That would be the most underpopulated but AWESOME meet up ever. 8D

This has actually been quite interesting. I'm sure a lot of us by now can remember vaguely where some others are from, but it's nice to know about those places, too, and appreciate the pride people have in their home cities/states. It's quite heart-warming.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Ezekiel'][SIZE="1"]
ALSO, [B]JEREMY KYLE[/B].

I really need to go to Manchester more. The only times I've been there have been for concerts, which have always been a blast. I am probably one of the few UK females to have never gone shopping in Manchester, and people seem astounded when I say this.

Is the Bird Cage there or am I just imagining things? I hear it's awesome and I want to go.

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[size=1]The Birdcage is indeed there right next to Zaavi and I've been =D (hurray for fake ID). It's quite awesome to say the least, very fun, but I'm mostly a Village person (all the barstaff there seem to be so happy and friendly). The only problem with the Birdcage is the drinks are quite expensive from what I'm used to, but a good night though, very much worth it.

I personally think everyone in England on OB should come for a day out in Manchester =p. It would be legendary but I can't be responsible for anyone who gets arrested on my account, haha.[/size]

[SIZE="1"]An England meet up would be awesome, if I lived there. XD I feel so left out.

Anyway, I live in Ohio in a suburb of Cleveland(or near Cleveland, whatever). We have Cedar Point here in Ohio, which is the only real exciting thing we have. Other than that we have an art museum, a history museum, and a Science Center. Cleveland night life sucks, not that I get out at all anyway, I don't have time.

In my initial town we have a mall, which is pretty popular I've noticed with the surrounding cities. I guess a lot of people from around where my mom lives come here to shop at our mall, and she lives an hour away. They're building a Best Buy, Cosco, and Bed Bath and Beyond too...yeah, thats real excitment.

I can't wait to get out of Ohio.

I was born in Arizona, which a lot of people already know. I lived in Phoenix for ten and a half years. I can't say exactly what the city has, since I was young when we moved to Ohio, but I loved it there and hope to go back. I also lived in Showlow, AZ too for a short time. That was pretty much in the middle of no where, about 20 minutes to town. We had some ducks, chickens, and loads of cats, lol. Coyotes got a couple of our ducks and chickens though.[/SIZE]

I'm in an archipelago in South East Asia... the Philippines. So anyone from around here as well?

Let me see... the place I'm living in is now known for it's world-class wakeboard cable park. We also got this beautiful Volcano.

The city where I am in now is starting to see progress, and is starting to get urbanized. It may not be like our country's capital, but at least it's moving in a positive direction.

Wow, a European meet-up. Cool.

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"][QUOTE=Nathan][FONT="Arial"]I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. What we are best known for is being the location for the headquarters of the LDS Church, or as they are more commonly known, the Mormons. I find this rather amusing since I am not a member of this religion but yet I still get asked if I am and people usually outright assume it.

Other than that we have good ski resorts and five national parks if you're the outdoorsy type. Though other than to ski occasionally, I've yet to take advantage of what's available here. I only moved here six years ago so I haven't gotten around to visiting all the parks yet.[/FONT][/QUOTE]I am, of course, in the same location. =P Though I'm attending college instead of working like Nathan. And I get the same thing that he does, people assume I'm Mormon when I'm not. Only difference is my parents moved here when I was fifteen, so I've been here a lot longer. That makes it... fourteen years I think. o_O

Anyway, he covered what we're known for already so I'll leave it up to Darren or Sabrina to add more if they want. lolz[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=SeaGreen][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I'm in Phoenix, AZ now. I've only been here for about 3 weeks though, so I'm still getting used to things.

I used to live in Wilkes-Barre, PA, which is about 2 hours north of Philadelphia, and has absolutely nothing to do. Gorgeous scenery if you want to drive a little bit, but nothing whatsoever to do.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Kenso'][COLOR=SeaGreen][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I'm in Phoenix, AZ now. I've only been here for about 3 weeks though, so I'm still getting used to things.

I used to live in Wilkes-Barre, PA, which is about 2 hours north of Philadelphia, and has absolutely nothing to do. Gorgeous scenery if you want to drive a little bit, but nothing whatsoever to do.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]I've been to Phoenix once and I would love to go again. I've a friend who lives in Chandler- she claims it's closer to Tempe, but I really don't believe it.

Phoenix though is not for me because it gets insanely hot and by early May they get their first days in the 100's. But it is really pretty there (once you drive past the inner city places on what I think is rt10. The Camel Back mountains in Scottsdale are nice- infact all of Scottsdale (Go to PF Chang's at the Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall- it's the first one ever) is very nice, but you can pretty much smell the money.

Another good site is the Cactus Gardens (maybe they're Botanical? Look both of them up if you want( that I have forgotten the name of, but they're next to the zoo. By the way if you go to the zoo I recommend only using the pedal carts when it's cool out. Other than that the way to go is either on foot or on the tram.

Other than that... no ruddy idea. But I guess you can go to the Grand Canyon.

And I feel left out. Anyone else from Upstate New York on here?[/color][/font][/size]

[color=deeppink]I'm currently living in Evansville, Indiana. It's like my old town, only bigger. And by that, I mean they both suck.

The only thing this town really has going for it is it has this really sweet comic book store that's only mildly out of the way. Oh, and an Aldi's just opened up.[/color]

Well I live in the bay area. and for those who dont know where that is its in california. i live in a city called fremont. i live like in the middle of everything. i live like about an hour away from san francisco and 45 minutes away from san jose. i really dont know wat fremont is known for but there are a few famous people that grew up or lived in fremont. famous people like kristi yamaguchi and mmc hammer. yea i knw its cool...lol!! and that fremont is the fourth most populated city in the bay area. the sucky part about living in the bay area is that we dont have snow=( the rain is our snow...lol!! but i live like 4 hours away from lake tahoe so im fine with it. i like living in the bay area, has really nice weather=)

theres not really much things to do in fremont. well theres an anime faire held in the teen center twice a year, one in december and one in april. its small but that doesnt matter^^ there are also art and wine festivals but i dont know when those are held but ive been to one here in fremont=) other than that theres nothing else to do here in fremont. so if you have ur drivers license and can drive then you can pretty much go where ever you want and have fun^^ but if you cant drive then you can take the bart and go to san francisco and hang out with friends for the day^^

so yea this is where i live its kinda boring and all but ive lived here since i was a kid and i wouldnt want to live anywhere but that will change like in a few yearsXD lol!!

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="1"]I've lived all over the place in the past 28 years..

I was born and raised in [B]Paradise Valley, AZ[/B]. It's a pretty nice place and I guess these days it's considered the richest city in the state. No big surprise there. My parents still live in the house I grew up in and I'm a frequent traveler to PV every once in a blue moon to visit mom and pop. There's not much to do there really. I never liked Arizona either, so maybe I'm biased.

After college I worked for a small company in Salt Lake City, UT. I wasn't there for long. I still think it's one of the most beautiful places in the United States. My favorite place in the state, hands down, was Zion National Park. If you're ever for some reason in Utah you MUST visit it.

I then moved across the Pacific to Singapore to work for that country's branch of a chat-based online game. I had tons of fun there and experienced so many different things and cultures that I would have never done otherwise. Singapore is definitely another place to visit once in your life. The people are nice and the island is just beautiful, clean, and sunny. Sentosa was my favorite place to go; beautiful beaches! On top of that it's where I met my husband. :]

After getting married, my husband's father passed away in South Africa. His father for some reason didn't leave any sort of will and the family was fighting over who got what. We were there for about 2 months until the issue was resolved. South Africa is another beautiful place. However, it was also extremely dangerous. I never really felt safe which is a shame because of the beauty the place has. Africa as a whole is just simply amazing.

Now, I live in a suburb of Los Angeles called Stevenson Ranch. It's a community of the larger Santa Clarita Valley. For the most part it's just an average suburb you'd find anywhere else with the exception of the beautiful rolling hills that surround the city. Also, a lot of movies are filmed in the surrounding city; most recently Twilight was filmed in a few local places. Magic Mountain is here too. At first I was reluctant to settle down here but over the past year I've come to love my new home.

I'm here in California to stay and I'll be starting a family very soon.

Phew! Did you catch all that?[/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm in my home, in the capital of the largest democracy in the world. It's a peninsular nation, and it's so vast it's called a subcontinent.

I lived for about three years in a variety of countries: Russia, Saudi, Spain and of course the US. But home is home:animesmil.