OtakuBoards

FMA 2009 anticipation thread

Dagger

And here I was wondering if they're going to be starting from the beginning. [spoiler]With Hughes being back in the Voice actor thingy[/spoiler] thread and all. Guess that trailer answers that question. So would it even be safe to call this FMA2 anymore? Look like a redo to me now.

Btw, does that mean we can expect new english dub voice actors when it comes to the states? I liked Mustang and Lusts voice.

I think we should call it FMA1 1/2 or FMA2.5 or uhhh. to many trailors, to confuzing...ahhhhhh:animestun
Or we could uhhh do to it the uhhh:animestun Ah F**k it, i'll just watch it when it comes out. *grumble*

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Magus'][spoiler]With Hughes being back in the Voice actor thingy[/spoiler] thread and all.[/QUOTE]

[spoiler];_; I keep forgetting we'll have to watch him die again.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Magus']Btw, does that mean we can expect new english dub voice actors when it comes to the states? I liked Mustang and Lusts voice.[/QUOTE]

Most of the original cast will probably be back. FUNi would be absolutely retarded not to bag this one as soon as they can, and Vic Mignonga and Travis Willingham not returning as Ed and Mustang would cause nothing short of widespread fan-demonium.

The only problem I can see is Alphonse. Quite frankly, Aaron Dismuke ain't twelve anymore. They'll more than likely either have to find a new actor or have a ready supply of helium in the studio.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][spoiler];_; I keep forgetting we'll have to watch him die again.[/spoiler][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]As far as I'm concerned it's better than [spoiler]having had to see him as a Nazi in our world.[/spoiler]
[/SIZE]

Good question Morgan-Chan, will Al be......different? If he is, I swear upon the Nerd Bible to take down FUNi with my bare fist and DEMAND an exact replacement. Al can't be different, it's impossible. I won't stand for it. The space time continume would be foe ever altered if al were to be different. Don't even get me started if Ed were to change. I would acctually, no lie, shoot my self. I've almost did it before, it was when Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex wasn't on AS any more. So in conclusion; If they don't have the same, loveible Al we all know and love, there will be a mass outbreak.:wigout: :twitch: :babble:

Don't I know that.

If Vic isn't Ed (Which, IMO, he makes the role PERFECT), I will be one sad little geek. Somehow I have a feeling if 4Kids had anything to do with it, and I know it's licensed to FUNi, they would slay the script and make it "suitable" for kids. :animesigh

• 2 weeks later...
Fairly long [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A-9RQorG9E"][u]camcorder trailer[/u][/url] from the Tokyo Anime Fair; watch it while you can. Yeah, this is going to have some pretty sweet animation.

~Dagger~

watching that trailer I'm thinking I need to go back and read some of the earlier chapters of the manga. for one I don't remember and alchemist who could use ice based abilities but then again it's been about 2 years since read the early stuff.

Well, I dunno if I'd shoot myself if Vic didn't return as Ed, but I would rage.

Rage a LOT.

& then probably cry after I was done raging. >_>

I don't think there's much hope for Aaron voicing Al again, though. Apparently a lot of people on the actual FUNi boards think it's pretty impossible.

However, I'm sticking to my theory until it's proven wrong.

Which is that Aaron is a voice actor for a reason.

There's been plenty of conventions where he's had to quote FMA lines, same as Vic, and he can still pull off Al's voice perfectly fine. D: I really hope Funimation at least considers keeping him as Alphonse, instead of just going 'Nope! Too old,'. I guess that depends on whose casting the VO's this time around.

2 days 1 hour until the first episode airs in Japan. Not that I'm counting down or anything.

Actually one thing I'm interested in is whether they will keep Greed's (the first one) death the same as in the manga. [spoiler]I mean in the manga Greed is dropped into some sort of boiling substance and reduced to his basic form. In the manga (at least the original release) he was pinned to a crucifix when he is killed while in the translated release this became a big square stone block[/spoiler] If they keep this the same in the anime I'll be very pleased but I expect if it is that once a dub comes out it will be changed again.

Nice first episode; I think it's original, but it basically serves as an introduction before they go into the flashback arc with episode 2. That's how things seem to be shaping up, anyway. Love, love, love the OP. I'll let you guys decide whether you want to do individual ep. threads or what.

~Dagger~

took a quick look at the first few minutes of the raw. first (quick) impressions: 1. Love the Op, 2. not so much a fan of Roy's new voice, 3. I'm interested in seeing what gets kept from the first part of the manga that was in the first series. It's interesting the for an anime based on the manga the first ep is something that doesn't appear in the manga at all. Well for some reason I'm hoping we get the Rose stuff again even though that was the original introduction to Ed and Al so it's highly unlikely to happen.

Looks like a sub has already been released and only 6 - 7 hours or so after airing. Sadly it's from the one group I have little faith in after starting with them on Macross Frontier and Tales of the Abyss only to see them stall indefinitely.

I'm not familiar with sub voice actors so that stuff don't really matter to me.

I did manage to check out about a good 2-5 minutes of it (opening and the little fight between Ed and Al and that guy who looks like that guy on the train....), and while I stand by my opinion of not caring for the character models, that animation is really impressive. The water, buildings and explosions look really good.

Not really digging the OP theme, but that never really bothered me unless it's real catchy or real annoying.

With that said though. I'm still very skeptical about trying to watch this again.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I'll wait until FUNimation offers it on their site, which should be within the next couple of days. I'm going to keep a close eye on this one, as it seems they're already deviating from the manga a bit. It seems kind of unnecessary, since the comic's run is over in less than a year, but I figure I can stand a bit of filler if it's either ordained by Arakawa herself or really, really good. Speculation has been that it will touch on some stuff that the manga skimmed over, so that's okay.[/FONT]

As someone who has barely touched [b]FMA[/b] in the past, I think this is a very good first episode. I get a decent sense of the conflicts, the relationships between the characters and there's a hell of a lot of great action and good comedy (not unexpected of BONES, of course). Like Ed and Alphonse quite a bit, love Hughes (how could I not, with my boy Keiji Fujiwara voicing him?), like Mustang (it's kind of funny listening to him when I just got finished hearing Shinichiro Miki use a similar voice for a villain in [b]Rideback[/b]) and Armstrong got a huge laugh out of me at the end.

Also, I would officially like to thank [b]FMA[/b] for giving me a quick preview of Evil Kikuko Inoue (aka Lust) at the end. Yes, yes and more yes. Let her be as cruel and evil as possible, and I will be a happy man.

• 1 month later...
Waait what, theyre remaking everything just with somewhat diffrent looks etc..
Or am i understanding it wrong, cause if they are it would be somewhat like remaking of a classic movie or something.
Was it a need to remake fma...

[quote name='Rapidash']Waait what, theyre remaking everything just with somewhat diffrent looks etc..
Or am i understanding it wrong, cause if they are it would be somewhat like remaking of a classic movie or something.
Was it a need to remake fma...[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Okay, let's see if I can make this a bit clearer than I have before.

Fullmetal Alchemist began as a manga by a woman named Hiromu Arakawa. Shortly into its run, it was picked up by Studio Bones and turned into an anime series. There were two problems with this:

1: The series was not very developed yet at all.

2: The manga releases chapters monthly, so there was no time for it to flesh out before the weekly anime episodes overtook it.

Arakawa realized this and specifically requested that the anime team make up their own story after catching up with the manga, since she still wanted to keep the manga's ending a secret. The anime team did that and the result is the Fullmetal Alchemist anime you know today.

Present day, the manga is on chapter 95, wrapping up all its loose ends with a projected ending at chapter 100 or so. Bones decides to take another crack at an anime version and starts making a new rewrite series that follows the actual manga storyline. Arakawa agreed because her series is bound to end before they catch up again, so she gets her surprise ending while still getting to see it animated. That's what FMA: Brotherhood is.

Think of it as the Hellsing Ultimate version of Fullmetal Alchemist, if you're familiar with Hellsing Ultimate. The storyline should become noticeably different sometime after the 5th lab incident.[/FONT]