OtakuBoards

FMA 2009 anticipation thread

Dagger

Here's the latest preview.

[youtube]idozY4yijIw[/youtube]

It's not often that one gets to enjoy nostalgia and the thrill of something new at the same time. I feel totally vindicated in dumping the manga now, by the way. Now I get to chew my nails over a whole new set of plot twists. :animesmil

I do prefer the anime character designs used in the previous series, but then, I was never a big fan of how Arakawa draws faces.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=#503f86]Aah, fantastic ^____^ I guess the most obvious question first:

[strike]Is it actually a sequel, given [spoiler]that Ed is using Alchemy, Roy has no eyepatch, Al has no body and Hughes was featured[/spoiler]?[/strike] Ah, never mind. I gather it's a full adaptation of the manga rather than a sequel? That's interesting. I can't say I'm not a tiny bit disappointed, but having not read the manga I'm really interested to see how different the story is, hehe ^_^

I'm going to see if I can find a translated version of that trailer now, although I'm betting it probably just says 'New [I]Fullmetal Alchemist[/I] series coming in April!', with a tagline.

I have to agree that the chasracters look slightly skewed in comparison to the first series. Maybe it's just those clips. I remember some bits of the first series being a bit scrappier than others. Although I hope it's not taken too much of a turn for the fluid, ever-moving style of animation. Music's sounding good, though. Me wonders if Michiru Oshima is still conducting it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#35160f][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]What I'm really wondering about this new Fullmetal Alchemist is if they really are planning on following more true to the manga, just how are they going to do it. I'm expecting something along the lines of "Hey guys! Those things that happened after this one episode? ACTUALLY DIDN'T HAPPEN, our bad."

Although I really just can't wait to see some of the things from the manga be animated, maybe I'll finally get a good explanation on how Xing alchemy works finally. That and [spoiler]Armstrong's awesome sister[/spoiler], hell yes.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503f60]Yeah, I was wondering what they were goign to do about the first section that already [I]does[/I] follow the manga, more or less. Hmm...

But I'm looking forward to seeing [spoiler]Armstrong's sister too, hehe.[/spoiler] You know, because she's a good example of a strong female character, and you don't see many of those nowadays. Ahem.[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]It just won't be the same, I feel. The original FMA (the dubbed version actually) is just my favorite anime of all time, and for a good reason. I mean, maybe they can pull off just the same amount of emotion that was featured in the first series, I don't know. But I can't get over just how... less serious the characters look. I never really did much care for the artwork in the manga... The anime was just... better in my opinion.

Still, I'll probably find and watch this new series as soon as it hits torrent sites. :] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Considering I never seen the first FMA, I am so not ready for this. I am very excited though. I am working on FMA right now as we speak. Quick question. There's already two seasons and this will be the third season coming out?

When this was on Cartoon Network, all I was able to catch was the episode of the [spoiler]girl and dog becoming one[/spoiler]

[quote name='Japan_86']Considering I never seen the first FMA, I am so not ready for this. I am very excited though. I am working on FMA right now as we speak. Quick question. There's already two seasons and this will be the third season coming out?[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]No need to worry about that. This series is an adaptation of the manga, which is basically an entirely different continuity. You can watch it all without having seen any of the original whatsoever. [strike]The story is infinitely better, anyways.[/strike]

I only need 2 reasons to look forward to this. Their names are Olivia and Ran Fan.[/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"]A new Fullmetal would be amazing. The original was already a masterpiece of great proportions. But the movie disappointed me, so a new plot should be a nice refresh. I never cared for the manga myself. Maybe it was because I saw the entire series first. However, I'm not entirely sure if this will turn out as great as the original. We'll just have to wait and see.

I just hope they save the series the pain of having any more video games. The FMA video games were just plain awful. But of course, that's just my opinion.[/FONT]

[COLOR=#35160f][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
I only need 2 reasons to look forward to this. Their names are Olivia and Ran Fan.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

This a thousand times, although throw in Ling and we'll be golden.

I'm also a bit excited to see the new homunculi especially [spoiler]Sloth since he eats TANKS FOR BREAKFAST. I'm also really curious just how they are going to throw Father into the mix, that and the other homunculi retacons.[/spoiler]

Fun Fact: Homunculus in Latin is little man (Or at least how Virgil uses it). [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Japan_86']There's already two seasons and this will be the third season coming out?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Technically, THIS would be the second "season". The first series was divided into half, and both halves were called "seasons" for AS's sake, I believe. But what Ace said: this is an entirely new continuity, so you don't need to have seen the first series at all.

Anyway, even though I'm one of the two people in the universe that preferred the original anime over the manga, I'm still looking forward to this. Maybe it'll hold my attention better than the manga itself did.[/SIZE]

Like Japan, I never watched the anime, nor have I read the manga, so I am quite excited about this. I get to be the n00b reacting to every plot twist, while the veterans sit off to the side, shake their heads and wish they could experience this for the first time again. This is awesome.

[quote name='Shinmaru']Like Japan, I never watched the anime, nor have I read the manga, so I am quite excited about this. I get to be the n00b reacting to every plot twist, while the veterans sit off to the side, shake their heads and wish they could experience this for the first time again. This is awesome.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]If it makes you feel any better, everything from a certain point onward [namely, [spoiler]Pride's reveal[/spoiler]] will be totally new for me as well, since that's around where I [strike]got bored out of my skull[/strike] stopped reading. So, you won't be alone after awhile. You just gotta wait for me! lolz[/SIZE]

[quote name='Sangome'][SIZE=1]Anyway, even though I'm one of the two people in the universe that preferred the original anime over the manga, I'm still looking forward to this. Maybe it'll hold my attention better than the manga itself did.[/SIZE][/quote][COLOR=#503F86]I've not read the manga; I only looked up the plot differences. I love the anime to pieces though ^____^ I rewatch it regularly, hehe.[/COLOR]

I've seen what everyone else've seen minus the movie. I just can't get myself to touch the manga. Even though people have told me that he don't, I just can't shake the thought of Ed's bratty moments popping up.

Looking at some of those other clips/trailers... Whose the girl with the purple hair in the school girl outfit? I've never seen her before?

Back to the subject of character design, it looks a little bit like Hellsing Ultimate's character designs. (Going by facial features and eyes.)

[quote name='Magus']Looking at some of those other clips/trailers... Whose the girl with the purple hair in the school girl outfit? I've never seen her before?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]...spuh? I just looked through the trailers and I've seen no one in a school girl outfit. Or purple hair.

The only females that have shown up so far are Riza and Lust. Perhaps you're thinking of the latter? The lighting in the clip does give her black hair a purple tint.[/SIZE]

This is gonna have to be done the hard way... (I don't know anything about video tagging)

-Play the first trailer
-List of side scrolling clips
-Choose 2nd clip from the left
-Choose 2nd clip from the left again

Girly-girl with purpl-ish/white hair with school girl outfit. [spoiler]Ed gets stabbed by some guy in a hoody.. I didn't watch the rest..[/spoiler]

[SIZE="1"]Well having just got through the FMA anime and movie in the last few days (and loved it though the movie ending was a let-down) I'm definitely interested to see an adaptation that more closely follows the manga, given so much more of the manga plot has been developed since (I admit to spoiling it on myself just to see the differences) I'm sure this will be a great series to get into. [/SIZE]

Now FMA is going to be my next series I go though on my quest to become a full-fledged anime nerd. I watched a few episodes on adult swim when they played and really liked it, though I never fully understood it.

Now a friend has gotten me into it again, so my question is should I bother with the manga? Or just stick to the episodes?

Both! What are you thinking Drizzt! FMA easily matches, nay exceeds it's hype. I, as a total super anime/manga nerd, would advise you to read the manga, and watch the anime, both were a joygasmic experience for me.

[quote name='botar15'] both were a joygasmic experience for me.[/quote]

Gavin, do you think Shy could make it the nifty-fifty 1 this year? I do belive "Joygasmic" belongs as the funnies word I've heard this year....

Well damn that makes it 2009's....that will be nominated, ohyes, it will.

Seriously though, with a review like that I'm going to start on the Manga immediateally

I'm glad I could be of assistance to you Drizzt, oh, and you really think joygasmic is the funniest word you've herd so far? Thanks! And to let you know, i've updated the whole lay out for the OB games, vote for what you want, its a lot more clearer than the stuff i posted this morning. I'm glad you're going to finsh the anime series and read the manga, I know you'll like it.

[url="http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4630063"][u]Trailer #4[/u][/url] (Yahoo Video link)

Yeah, it looks like they're definitely remaking all of the old material in full. I have a feeling that this will make at least the first few episodes an odd experience rife with deja vu, but no matter; if you're going to do something, might as well do it thoroughly.

~Dagger~