OtakuBoards

St. Patrick's Day!

chibi-master

Wow, I can finally post this thread seeing as it's now officially March! Okay, I know some of you OB members are proud Irish people! *stares down Gavin and CHW* So you guys should just post this thread to death.

So, what are you guys doing for St. Patty's Day? Got your green ensemble picked out already? Post some pictures after the fact or even some from previous St. Patty's Days! All interesting experiences go here! Heck, even some funny, festive, maybe not so politically correct pictures or the sort!:catgirl:

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][SIZE="1"]This year will be my first celebrating St. Patrick's Day. Usually I work (at a bar, no less), but this year I'm celebrating the Saturday before at my friend's apartment.

Probably my favorite SPD memory was when my good friend dressed up as a leprechaun to school but got in trouble because he was "posing as a distraction". That was pretty fun.

[img]http://photos-a.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v198/101/99/1161990688/n1161990688_30409800_3283.jpg[/img]

G'tiiiimes.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=deeppink]As far as I'm concerned, there are [i]way[/i] too many holidays centered around getting *********.

I mean, it's not like people need an excuse for that. It's kind of a weekly (sometimes daily!) thing for just about everyone I know anyway.[/color]

Well that maybe true but....well that's all I got. I'll probably do what I always do....forget to wear green. Become inconsolably angry over getting pinched, then top it off with pub hopping in Columbus.

Then if I'm lucky, I'll make it back to my hotel room. If I'm unlucky I'll wake up in a stranger's car.....again. (Not in the good way like waking up in the backseat....not alone. In the way that you wake up in a 70,000 corvette by yourself.)

[SIZE="1"]The whole pinching thing always makes me quirk an eyebrow when I hear about it, seriously strange addition to the day there.

Do I do anything special for Saint Patrick's Day ? No, not really. I'm not much of a drinker so the general association of the day for most people is gone. Generally speaking my family gets together to go to something as a day out, either visiting relatives we've not seen in ages or go visit some scenic place we've never been to that's within reasonable driving distance. It's a nice day overall, especially if the weather is good.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']I don't do anything. About the only concession to this holiday I have is to have a touch of green on somewhere since some people think you need to pinch others who don't. Seriously though, other than that, I do nothing special for this day at all.[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Well I lucked out there because my work shirt has two little green leaves on it. I also plan on wearing some st Patrick's day socks.

Yeah either on or around St Patrick's day my family gets together to have corned beef and cabbage. The whole house smells like someone farted :animesigh

Most of the time it's an uneventful day except for the time my brother took a swig of the white vinigar thinking it was water. It was almost as good as the time he stabbed himself in the back of the head with a fork! Yeah

And I don't really go out and get drunk. But I may tell people yes I'm Irish, kiss me and I'll break your face. Then make cupcakes. [/color][/font][/size]

[SIZE="1"]Nothing at all. I don't drink, and I usually never wear green. If you do pinch me, I [I]will[/I] punch you in the face. Or kick you in the face, either or.

I never liked St. Patricks Day much, as a kid I always thought it was pointless, lol. Although I do remember having a St. Patricks Day party at school with cupcakes and other goodies, all green of course. Plus my teacher placed little clues around that a leprechaun had come.[/SIZE]

[quote name='SaiyanPrincessX'][SIZE="1"]Nothing at all. I don't drink, and I usually never wear green. If you do pinch me, I [I]will[/I] punch you in the face. Or kick you in the face, either or.

I never liked St. Patricks Day much, as a kid I always thought it was pointless, lol. Although I do remember having a St. Patricks Day party at school with cupcakes and other goodies, all green of course. Plus my teacher placed little clues around that a leprechaun had come.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

CHIBI! I think your official OB title should be Queen of Holidays or something. Seriously, you've created like all of the holiday threads for forever now. It's crazy.

And I don't own green, but if anyone pinches me, I'll punch them in the face.

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE="1"']The whole pinching thing always makes me quirk an eyebrow when I hear about it, seriously strange addition to the day there.[/SIZE][/quote]And here it's always been around since I can remember. I thought I'd escape that once I got older, apparently not. o_O So I blame the weird people who continue it. At least it's a whole lot less likely now that I'm an adult. If you forgot when you were younger and went to school...

[quote name='Raiha][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]My plan is to wear my green underwear and work. I have no actual green shirts.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]And here I have a dark green polo shirt that was given to me. I think the only time I wear it is on St. Patrick's Day. The rest of the year it just collects dust in my closet.

Wow, some serious scariness flying at the pinchers here.

I actually get a kick out of that tradition, even though I'm great at forgetting to wear green. I would like to know where that came from, seems odd that dear St. Patrick would start pinching those who didn't wear green on his birthday.

Seriously, that doesn't sound like him at all.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='chibi-master']Maybe he was drunk when he started the tradition... Wow, I'm going to hell...:animeswea[/quote]All I know is it's been around as long as I can remember. The needing green to avoid getting pinched. I don't recall what resulted in the addition.

Anyway, I don't do anything for this. But I do have some cheesy semi cute little four leaf clover earings that I'll wear. Sometimes I don't, it just depends on whether or not I feel like bothering to do so. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]RANDOM FACT; There are only three places on Earth where St. Patrick's Day is a public holiday: Ireland, Newfoundland and Montserrat (my mom's from there :p)

Anyways, I'm definately not getting drunk. Too expensive and I like being in control. Maybe I'll wear green, if I remember.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Do I do anything special for Saint Patrick's Day ? No, not really. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Bad Irishman, BAD!!! *slaps Gavin* :animeangr (Yes, yes, I realize I'm being stereotypical, but so what?:p)

I think my school may let us out of wearing our uniforms, but I won't get my hopes up.

[quote name='chibi-master']Bad Irishman, BAD!!! *slaps Gavin* :animeangr (Yes, yes, I realize I'm being stereotypical, but so what?:p)[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]*Shrug*

I don't really need one day to make me appreciate a culture I live in every day.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"][QUOTE=Gavin][SIZE="1"]*Shrug*

I don't really need one day to make me appreciate a culture I live in every day.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]Translation: Gavin is [I]LAZY.[/I] =P

I don't do anything for this day. I wear something green if I remember, but that's it.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]*Shrug*

I don't really need one day to make me appreciate a culture I live in every day.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]I think I have to agree with Gavin here. I don't need a dead guy's feast day to remind me to have pride in my heritage.

While I don't live in Ireland I do live in my culture every day. Well most of the time. For one thing I wear a name tag for my jobs and my first and last name are both of Irish origin. I'm pretty obsessed with being Irish- I can tell you the name meaning of my surname. On the 17th of March I just wear green and wonder how many people wish they were Irish.[/color][/font][/size]

There's a statistic Chibi(horsewoman) that I can't quote off the top of my head, but I'm sure that at least one person on here as heard of it or knows it.

It's an outrageous amount of people claim to have Irish blood, though actually don't have any. Mostly for the "joy of being Irish" I suppose. I know I'm some sort've super low number like an eighth Irish or something to that effect. Nothing worth saying "Hey I'm Irish" because there's too much other stuff watering me down.

I'm a mutt and proud of it.