Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
Hey guys...Me and my homies got plans to attend this year's Anime Weekend Atlanta. From what I have seen so far, its gonna be awesome as usual. Right now we are reserved for a room in the Renaissance Waverly Hotel and we are saving big....its 4 guys piling up in one room so yeah you can picture all the good times.

Here is the site for any information you might want:
http://www.awa-con.com/


Im planning to go as Kaname Tousen from Bleach of course. Right now I only have his zanpakuto. I want to go as the captain version but Im tempted to go as the Aizen army version. Which one do you guys think is better?

Plus, add whether if you're also planning to attend or if you are going to any other conventions coming up. Edited by Humaru
Posted
I think the closest thing I've been to that I'd consider a convention is the Auto Show. (And I don't go there any more... Our scene is too fight/shooting happy) I'd like to maybe attend E3 one day, but I have to live in Cali for that. Conventions in general though, I wouldn't know what to bring... All I'd really bring would be identification and money and maybe a phone just incase of an emergency.
Posted
Sounds fun, how many times have you cosplayed? (sorry, I don't know a lot about Bleach, I'd help if i could :( )
In 2 years, my friends and I are either going as a Death Note group (Misa) or Haruhi Suzumiya (Yuki)...
Posted
Ive only done it once before due to monetary issues(broke as a joke) but Im excited for this year.

Cool Death Note is an awesome anime and manga...I bet you guys really get into character.
Posted
I went too. It was my first con and i didn't get hugged. I am going next year but i want to cosplay and bring more money. I went only for saturday so i only got to go to the rave but next year im going to do everything:raves , black and white ball, cosplay chess, karaoke, ect.
Posted
[quote name='mryekcim' date='09 July 2010 - 11:57 AM' timestamp='1278701877' post='696992']
I went too. It was my first con and i didn't get hugged. I am going next year but i want to cosplay and bring more money. I went only for saturday so i only got to go to the rave but next year im going to do everything:raves , black and white ball, cosplay chess, karaoke, ect.
[/quote]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]
Word of advice. Avoid any and all Music Fest related things. Mostly the bands suck and the lines are ridiculous, plus no cameras anyway so for the same experience, you could go to youtube. And also not lose your hearing. Cosplay chess is fun, and if you're over 18 and into that sort of thing, the more 'adult' haha yeah right, events are hilarious more than they are obscene.[/color][/size][/font]
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]I'm usually acting as security for the conventions I attend. As such my gear is slightly different.

[/color][/size][/font][list][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Money [small denomination]
[/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]ID[/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Convention pass[/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Staff armband[/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Radio and Earbud[/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Two suits[/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Formal dress[/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Cosplay[s][/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Boots[/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Heels[/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Flip Flops[/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Knife [legal][/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Bikini [on the off chance I get a moment to find the hot tub][/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Flogger [line control][/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Makeup[/color][/size][/font][*][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Room key [don't trust anyone else with it]
[/color][/size][/font][/list][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]
Keeping track of everything is only simple when you don't bring much. I compartmentalized my garment bag to make sense, getting dressed at 3 in the morning in the dark is much easier that way.

[/color][/size][/font]
Posted
So... I've only ever been to one anime convention.... it sucked. However... I haven't been to any of the big ones, so I know they can't all suck.

Anyway, onto my point.

Am I the only one who ever dressed as their own characters from the comics/manga of personal work?
Posted
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]To be honest, no.

Unfortunately at most conventions, unless your work is published, almost nobody will know or care who you've cosplayed as if you're character is original. And worse still, some people who cosplay as their own characters will feel the need to enlighten everyone around them and then they become thundering bores. My job sadly is to tell these people that unless your character was published before the convention somewhere other than your brain, you can't carry your weapons with you on con property.

Persona non grata, is the usual state of being for people cosplaying as their own creations. We call them OCs. Original Characters.
[/color][/size][/font]
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
The dance raves, the pocky-sharing, and I love making my own costumes for cheap! I went to PortCon dressed as Vizard Ichigo this year and the costume cost me about 20-25$ to make, while the ones in the store cost 200$ [img]http://www.otakuboards.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif[/img] and I was the star of the con!
Posted
[size="2"][font="Impact"]On August 13-15, the 5th annual Otakuthon will be held at the Palais des congrès de Montréal (201 Viger Avenue West Montreal, Quebec). If you're an Anime fan living in Montreal (or near it), this may be of your interest. I know I'm going there like every other year.

[u]When it's open?[/u]
Friday at 5:00 pm - 5:00 am
Saturday at 9:00 am - 5:00 am
Sunday at 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

[u]What are the Ticket Prices?[/u]
Full weekend pass is $45.00
Friday pass is $20.00
Saturday pass is $35.00
Sunday pass is $25.00[/font][/size]
Posted (edited)
[quote name='stararnold' date='09 August 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1281385000' post='699158']
[size="2"][font="Impact"]On August 13-15, the 5th annual Otakuthon will be held at the Palais des congrès de Montréal (201 Viger Avenue West Montreal, Quebec). If you're an Anime fan living in Montreal (or near it), this may be of your interest. I know I'm going there like every other year.

[u]When it's open?[/u]
Friday at 5:00 pm - 5:00 am
Saturday at 9:00 am - 5:00 am
Sunday at 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

[u]What are the Ticket Prices?[/u]
Full weekend pass is $45.00
Friday pass is $20.00
Saturday pass is $35.00
Sunday pass is $25.00[/font][/size]
[/quote]

I was seriously contemplating since I saw it in the newspapers. But unfortunately I lack the funds to go (Literally all I need to do is pay the entrence fee and I can't even do that...) Next year though I will be there.

And to all you other fellow Canucks. I say: Bonjour mes amies!

And yes although I am a Quebecois my French is horrendous...

I really wish I could go since Vic McDerpaderp is going to be there... One of my favorite characters (3 guess who that is) was voice acted by him and he did a decent job. Even though he hated that character so much :) Edited by Burori
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted
[size="1"][font="Verdana"]Hi, I'm Amity, and I'd like to shamefully admit that I've never been to a convention before. I know, pitiful. Well, in my city they hold a con every year called OMGcon and next year I'll be going to my first convention. What I'd like to know is if anyone cosplays, if you've ever thought about doing it, who you would/did go as. Also, if I decide to cosplay (which I doubt I will), what steps would one take in order to achieve perfection and jealousy from others at a convention?

-Amity[/font][/size]
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
Yeah I actually went to this one....it was pretty awesome except for the Rock Band thing. Got some new swag for my collection. It was pretty fun. Haven't posted any pics yet but they will come soon enough.
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted
I am going next year but i want to cosplay and bring more money. I went only for saturday so i only got to go to the rave but next year im going to do everything:raves , black and white ball, cosplay chess, karaoke, ect.
______________________________________________________________________
[url=http://www.sangamgrouphotels.com]Cheap Hotels Kanyakumari [/url] | [url=http://www.sangamgrouphotels.com/tour-package]Kanyakumari Tourist Home[/url] | [url=http://www.sangamgrouphotels.com/budget-hotel-offers]Kanyakumari Sunrise and Sunset[/url]
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
[size="3"][font="Arial Black"]For all you Anime/Manga fans living Montreal (or near it), you may want to keep note that on December 5, 2010, there will be a Montreal Comic-Con event to take place. Like previous Montreal Comic-Con events, this one will happen at Place Bonaventure (800 rue de la Gauchetière Ouest, Room 200-N) and will have Manga and Anime as parts of the convention's focus. Admission will cost only $5.00 per person. Should you attend, you'll have a chance to meet guest DROO, who takes pictures of cosplayers (his website is droophotographer.deviantart.com). Also, Anime retail groups Clumsyplush and Mangacature will take part in the December Montreal Comic-Con event.[/font][/size]
Posted
Fannatiku Fest is a Southern Utah Anime convention that will be held March 11-12 2011 at the St. George Holiday Inn! Its our 5th year anniversary, and we'd love to have you join us! Some previous guests we've had are: Jerry Jewel, Aaron Dismuke, Patrick Seitz, and Carrie Savage!

Registration is open with some awesome pre-reg discounts! Tell your friends about us, and help us make this year the best that it could possibly be!

[url="http://animefannatiku.com"]Fannatiku Fest[/url]


Check often for Convention updates, and make sure to join our forums!

Registration Prices run as:

$20 (full weekend) before Nov. 30th
$10 (Fri. Mar. 11th)
$15 (Sat. Mar. 12th)

$25 (full weekend) before Feb.1st
$10 (Fri. Mar. 11th)
$15 (Sat. Mar. 12th)

$30 (Full weekend) At the Door
$15 (Fri. Mar. 11th)
$20 (Sat. Mar. 12th)

Children 5 and under are free with a paid adult.
Children 6-10 are $10 for the whole weekend, or $5 per day.

We also offer $5 dealer room passes for those of you who really just want to shop.
Posted
Agh, damn. Last year this time I was in Ottawa, so I could've made it. But now I'm in Toronto, and I'd have to take too much time off work. :(

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...