OtakuBoards

Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Magus

[size=1]Hideo Kojima is working on another game and, well....

There's a countdown that keeps on resetting. I'm kind of guessing that it's going to keep doing that until E3.

And then there's:

I don't know who ore what that is suppose to be, but people are speculating something about Lord of Shadow (whatever that is)

[url=http://kotaku.com/5267167/is-kojima-working-on-lords-of-shadow][u]Sneak Peek[/u][/url]

Yeah.... I still need to play MGS4 (If that's MGS5)[/size]
Edit: So the name of this new MGS game is called Metal Gear Solid: Rising. It's Raiden's game and it's exclusively on the Xbox 360. No news about what the story is going to be about, nor is there any gameplay footage. "shrugs" We can only get so much at a time. I'm still happy for this though.

Would someone change the name of the topic to Metal Gear Solid: Rising please?

Edit: Removed image since it was the image of the new Castlevania game.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Magus']
Edit: So the name of this new MGS game is called Metal Gear Solid: Rising. [B]It's Raiden's game[/B] and [B]it's exclusively on the Xbox 360[/B].[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][IMG]http://zeitgeistglee.250free.com/NerdRage_Motivational.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[size=1]Not sure which annoys me more though. One kind of cancels out the other's rage.[/size]

[quote name='Rurouni922']When did they say it was exclusive to the 360?[/QUOTE]
It's not. I intended on updating that once again but never got around to doing so. It's also for the ps3 and pc as well.

[quote name='Magus']It's not. I intended on updating that once again but never got around to doing so. It's also for the ps3 and pc as well.[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][IMG]http://zeitgeistglee.250free.com/NerdRage_Motivational.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]Now without the cancellation-effect of Raiden being confined to a single-console. Dear God why must we be continually exposed to this wangst-driven creation.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Can I get someone to change the name of the thread to Metal Gear Solid: Rising?

In any case, I pretty much missed out on Microsofts conference just like I'll be missing out on Nintendo and Sony as well. (I have class) But from what I'm hearing, Microsoft wasn't good... "shrugs"

Anyway, we have a trailer and some gameplay footage of Raiden doing his thang.

[media]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-metal-gear/101272[/media]

I like it. Definately need more info on this though. I didn't play MGS4, but I have seen a full walkthrough of it, and I loved the gadgets and weaponry in that, and I'm hoping that some of that is in this game as well. It'll be a little disappointing to go through the game with that one and only sword. Thoughts?

I know, but then again I get my fill of cutting in my hack n slashers, but the way cutting seems here, it looks like it'll be utilizing that six-axis stuff a lot. I must admit though, my interest in beginning to waver a bit because of some of the interviews I've seen. From the way it sounds, it don't sound like Raiden's going to be getting a lot of gadgets to tinker around with. I mean a lot of the weaponry/customizing I saw in MGS4 looks to be a lot of fun, and I was hoping to see some of that here... I will be looking forward to more info though.

[quote name='Magus' date='21 June 2010 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1277120285' post='695736']
I know, but then again I get my fill of cutting in my hack n slashers, but the way cutting seems here, it looks like it'll be utilizing that six-axis stuff a lot. I must admit though, my interest in beginning to waver a bit because of some of the interviews I've seen. From the way it sounds, it don't sound like Raiden's going to be getting a lot of gadgets to tinker around with. I mean a lot of the weaponry/customizing I saw in MGS4 looks to be a lot of fun, and I was hoping to see some of that here... I will be looking forward to more info though.
[/quote]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Oh, well, I am hoping that the mechanic shown in the video is [i]not [/i]controlled by the Six Axis. Is that confirmed? If so that would make me worry a little, just because it's so fiddly and imprecise. But if you actually use the second analogue stick, that could be pretty awesome.

My initial impression is that this is not a genuine Metal Gear Solid 5 as such. I'm not sure whether or not it will bear out, but you might remember Kojima saying that MGS4 would be the "final" game in the main story of Solid Snake. In other words, anything else would be a side-story or a completely new story with new characters (but in the same universe).

I quite like the idea of exploring Raiden more - either post-MGS4 or concurrently with that story. He became a far more interesting character in MGS4 and I think he's a valid central character in his own right (although perhaps not as much as Snake - a lot of work has to be done to build greater mythology around Raiden).

Having said all of the above though, my biggest issue will be the potential for frequent and long cutscenes. I really, really hope Kojima resists his urge to be a movie director this time. If he focuses on great controls and an engaging story without forcing us to idly watch as much as we actually play, then I'll be very happy.
[/font]

Nah, Six Axis has not been confirmed. I kind of forgot about the Right toggle since in MGS 3/Subsistence/Collection had the right toggle moving the camera angle while in 3rd person (I'm assuming MGS4 did this as well?). I only assumed it was going to be Six Axis because of that as well.

If I'm not mistaken, I do believe Kojima said he was not partaking in this MGS game. I think he was just going to be an overseer or something of that nature.

[media]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-metal-gear/700659[/media]
Part 1

[media]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-metal-gear/700661[/media]
Part 2

Hmm... So Raiden will have sub-weapons.... I must've missed that or didn't pay attention to it the first time.

Kojima seems like he's more focused on MGS 3DS moreso than this title, so I'm not sure if there's going to be long cutscenes or not, although I rather liked them lol. Edited by Magus

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Ah, that sounds better. Although Kojima is not involved as directly in this game, I'm hoping that this also means we'll actually be doing more playing than watching. I am pretty excited about this game now; I should go and read up on it a little bit more. [/font]

• 1 month later...
[url="http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1114418p1.html"]No-kill Game[/url]

[quote]The Metal Gear Solid series has always allowed players to stealthily make their way through the games without killing a single fool. The upcoming Metal Gear Solid: Rising will continue this proud tradition when it is released next year. At Gamescom today Konami confirmed that we'll be able to slice our way to the end of Rising without killing a single human.

Metal Gear Solid: Rising is all about slicing stuff up with your katana. People, cyborgs, buildings, sushi -- nothing is unsliceable. Surely the ability to cut the crap out of everything will be very temptingâ?¦ Maybe there will be achievements/trophies in it for those who exercise restraint and make it to the end without ending a human life. Konami says you will never be rewarded for killing humans in Rising. When you encounter human resistance you can slice their weapons in half, causing them to run away in fear. If you accidentally slice off a hand or two, well, that will be forgiven, we are told.

There are plenty of enemies you can kill and still achieve a no-kill game. Rising is full of cyborgs and mechs, so feel free to slice them to your heart's content.

The character you control in Rising, Raiden, is almost the total opposite of usual MGS protagonist Snake and his style of stealth will be quite different. Raiden is a very acrobatic ninja. While Snake would wait patiently for an enemy to walk by, Raiden won't be standing around twiddling his thumbs. He can move undetected and easily sneak up on enemies while remaining in stealth mode. Konami calls this "hunting stealth." This is all in line with Konami's attempts to make Rising a friendlier game to pick up, hopefully making it more attractive to a wider audience.[/quote]

This game is getting more interesting with each new piece of information that comes out. I won't jump the gun and say that this might be better than playing as Snake, but it's definately sounding quite nice.

[font="Palatino Linotype"]The more information is released about this game, the less it seems like a regular Metal Gear Solid. I did read an article recently which basically said that this game is being aimed at a much wider audience - including people who aren't informed about MGS's convoluted story and complex gameplay. I don't see this as a bad thing, although no doubt some enthusiasts will consider this to be a dumbing down of the franchise.

My feeling is that, so far, it's a breath of fresh air. Konami also confirmed that there will be less cut scenes in MGS: Rising! Thank god for that. I'm already more interested, on that basis alone. :P[/font]

[quote name='James' date='23 August 2010 - 09:53 PM' timestamp='1282614790' post='699777']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]The more information is released about this game, the less it seems like a regular Metal Gear Solid. I did read an article recently which basically said that this game is being aimed at a much wider audience - including people who aren't informed about MGS's convoluted story and complex gameplay. I don't see this as a bad thing, although no doubt some enthusiasts will consider this to be a dumbing down of the franchise.

My feeling is that, so far, it's a breath of fresh air. Konami also confirmed that there will be less cut scenes in MGS: Rising! Thank god for that. I'm already more interested, on that basis alone. :P[/font]
[/quote]

[color=indigo]I agree about the breath of fresh air part. The last Metal Gear game rocked, but, I did try to get a few friends interested in it to no avail. I think that with games like Halo and Modern Warfare gamers aren't used to waiting around when they have a potential kick ass combat sequence waiting for them. Being actively sneaky could be very appealing.[/color]

• 1 year later...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNo8h-KfAU[/media]

And so now we have a reboot by Platinum Games instead, and it's called Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. I gotta say that, while I didn't care for Vanquish. I think that style don't really fit with guns and maybe more suitable to swords instead, but with that said I'm definately looking forward to it. Edited by Mark