OtakuBoards

Don't you hate it when ___

deathysshadow

[QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]Whenever the villain has thoroughly beaten down the hero but then lets him go for no reason at all instead of finishing him off. And then, of course, the hero comes back later to defeat the villain and save the day.

That's actually been annoying me since before I started watching anime. The Final Fantasy games seem to love doing it.[/color][/QUOTE]I forgot about that one, mainly since I see it in games more than I do in anime, mainly cause I don't watch anywhere near as much as you do Des. But when I do encounter it, I feel like banging my head on my desk since it's so clichéd and over done.

Oh and everything silpheedpilot just mentioned. That kind of stuff kills a show.

• 4 weeks later...
This is basically aimed at shonen since it's all I've seen as of late.

I hate it when airheads/idiots are the main characters. The only character(s) that I can really put up with whose like that is Goku, who I barely can put up with anymore, and Luffy, who took a long time for me to get into. (He's a favorite now, but still) It's like after Rurouni Kenshin ran it's course, smart main characters became non-existant.

One could say I should appreciate FMA, but trust me when I say I hate Ed and Al for other reasons lol.

• 2 months later...
*nods nods* i seriously agree with this very much, this pretyt much what i think currently... i just hate all those anime girls especially in shoujo where they are clumsy and have to be save by a cool looking guy or something/ guy pervert main characters >.< so annoying sometimes/ idiot characters where they are making fun of by someone and cries a lot and being bullied those typical ones

Genres to be avoid much: shoujo (depends), heavy romance, harem

idk why, but still now, many creates them and it annoys me more that those are the popular mangas/ anime >.>"

[quote name='Magus']Can't believe I forgot about this one. Yeah, most of the time if the fanservice is in small doses I can usually just brush it to the side. But if it's something that's going to be thrown in my face every minute it'll kill the series for me.[/quote]

That's mine also. When there is gratuitous nudity and the like for no purpose other than fan service it can ruin an otherwise great show.

i hate chibis in a serious situation. heck, i always hate them. they always ruin the mood for me. i also hate big strong silent types. how are we supposed to identify with them? i would hate to be that guy. you know everyone else only sees you as an oaf thats good for punching things

I hate it when the heros get a new power and within the first 30 sec Know how to use the power and know what to call it and everything like that. like come on if i get a new power it would take me months learn how to use it and what to call it.. i think it would be funny if the new powers backfirer sometimes on the heros just for the fun of it...lol

• 1 month later...
[size=1][color=navy]"Just one more attack, and it'll be all over" Like they're tallying the amount of damage or something.

I think I've only heard this in shonen. Anyway, I hate it when characters say this. It makes them look stupid, especially when all the person has to do is block, dodge or hide from the attack.[/size][/color]

I hate when there are too many scenes where people just stare at each other while some kind of insert song plays, going back and forth between the two (or more) character's eyes/faces. Bee Train loves pulling this kind of crap, and I don't mind it at all if it's pulled off well. But sometimes... *coughs*

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=navy]In the same vein as Magus' comment, I'm tired of an epic fight turning into a "final strike" scenario... you know what I mean. Two master swordsman staring each other down, sizing each other up and... [I]woosh, slash[/I], they fly by each other as if they passed through thin air. Wait for it... one collapses while the other stares stoically ahead. What's most painful about it is that it used to be a cool concept, until it was over-done. The only series I can forgive for doing this is Rurouni Kenshin.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=navy]I also hate it when (and this might also sound similar to previous posts...) the main character's love interest just happens to walk in on him/her (ok, usually [I]him[/I]) in a situation that looks perverted but isn't. How many romantic comedy series have used this now? Absurd.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='chibi-master']When there's a million episodes and they're all the same continuous actions being portrayed over and over. Especially fights. I MEAN, C'MON! SOMEONE WIN ALREADY! [/quote]

Guessin your not big on DBZ and the like then lol!

Personally even though I still watched it, DBZ, the biggest annoyance for me was always the above thing... That and the screaming power up where they look like they're desperately trying to take a dump.

Another one has to be where in the middle of a fight they just start having a conversation. Blah blah blah I'm awesome... blah blah blah I'm awesomer!! Blah blah blah my life sucked!! Well blah blah blah so did mine!! And of course that cuts out the last five minutes of an episode only for the next 3 episodes to be about something happening somewhere else between two characters you don't care about cuz you'd rather see the end of the fight already.

Can definately agree on female characters being either so scared of their own shaddow they can barely talk without scaring themselves... or so overtly violent for no reason.

Another one for me is certain love triangle like animes. My friend suggested I watch some series she liked... By episode 4 I had a migraine from trying to keep up with it all. The main character, some stupid girl, had pretty much tackled a football team worth of love intrests and I just got fed up and decided that it and everything related to it should burn.

"Oh Im such a desperate, stupid little girl... The guy I like doesnt like me so Im gonna date like 12 people to try to get his attention vs oh I dunno talking to him. And instead of bothering to grow a pair and at least look at him if he says something to me I'll opt for stalking him like a retard. Oh look now all 12 of those guys want me oh dear... what do I do I want the first one!!"

*shoots self*

[quote name='Cloud Strife']I hate it when you're watching a subbed anime and the person who subbed it doesn't know how to speak real english. "You die shall!" and other such mistakes are irritating.[/quote]

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=darkslateblue]Even worse is when they intentionally screw with the subs. I remember some jack*** thought he was being funny with the subs in a Code Geass episode. I still don't know what was actually said in that scene...[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Cloud Strife']I hate it when you're watching a subbed anime and the person who subbed it doesn't know how to speak real english. "You die shall!" and other such mistakes are irritating.[/quote]

I dun like that either. How about when they're marked as subbed, and then magically only the intro is and it cuts you off right when the story is finally picking up again?

[SIZE="1"]"Will they won't they" moments in relation to romance between two characters. Full Metal Panic nearly drove me demented over which of the two mains, Kaname and Sousuke would admit to liking each other. God love poor clumsy Tessa at least she had the guts to admit she liked Sousuke...even if he thought she was talking about liking alcohol at the time. :animesigh[/SIZE]

I have to agree with most of the major points that have been made. The thing I'd like to harp on is fillers....

I understand the need for fillers and the public just has to see the anime regardless if the Manga has been finished or not. This is why Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was made....

I hate however when they throw in fillers at the worse possible time. Most recently in Bleach with the Zanpacto rebellion, how do u go from the middle of a huge battle with all of the Captains to filler episodes???

I can understand trying to work in fillers in between real episodes like Bleach did with the Boruto (misspelled?) even though I hated that part of the series.... One Piece they at least did a decent job at working in filler episodes. I just became frustrated with the people that are putting these series together. Do they have any sense of chronoligy???

@ people talking about the guys landing in sexual positions with girls. Yeah definatly overused and is a definate staple in some series (Lova Hina, and Kampfer are the 2 that pop in my head) Naked girls can be something that draws in viewers and as someone's quote reminded Rule #34....

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]On the subject of subs, Gratuitous Japanese. I can hear it just fine myself, thanks. Now tell me what the hell it means.

Honestly, what is the point of translating something if you're only going to do it halfway and leave your audience even more bewildered than before?[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[size=1]I was just on the receiving end of something similar to that. I was watching Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger and the translation sucked in an episode. One moment, subtitles were being displayed, and next moment they weren't yet the characters were talking. Honestly, if I have to put up with crappy translation, I'd rather stick with dubs that sound off or horrible. I prefer that my anime be dubbed as it is, and seeing crap like that only pushes me even further to drop subtitles.[/size]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]On the subject of subs, Gratuitous Japanese. I can hear it just fine myself, thanks. Now tell me what the hell it means.

Honestly, what is the point of translating something if you're only going to do it halfway and leave your audience even more bewildered than before?[/FONT][/quote]

Thats exactly what I meant last post. Happened to me with Soul Eater. Had all the episodes, I think anyway, and after 35 all the intros were subbed but the show itself wasn't. YAY! I know the lyrics thats great! Now wtf is happening?? >.<

[color=#4B0082]Uh... Are you sure you didn't just have episodes that were soft-subbed and were using a player without a subtitle renderer? (Like WMP by itself.) OPs and EDs tend to be hard-subbed into the video, in which case they don't require a subtitle renderer.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][COLOR=#4b0082]Uh... Are you sure you didn't just have episodes that were soft-subbed and were using a player without a subtitle renderer? (Like WMP by itself.) OPs and EDs tend to be hard-subbed into the video, in which case they don't require a subtitle renderer.[/COLOR][/quote]

Yep I'm sure. The episodes didn't give me any trouble the whole time up till that point and they all had subs in the intro some in the outro's too just not the episodes themselves. Its like they got lazy and just gave up. As far as the players used I have like 3 or 4 on here. Checked em all. Same issue each time. Its fine I liked the series enough, least what I saw, to wanna buy it. So Im just gonna do that anyway but still it was really annoying. Happened right when the series started to kick into the more major fights etc...

The common theme for this thread is people don't like are pointless episodes.

Fillers suck.

The "we're going to tell our whole life story" right before we fight rather than doing that well before the fight or after.

Ongoing screaming of someone powering up for the better part of the episode.

I have been trying to understand anime vs manga better lately by actually reading manga. It has only made wonder why anime screws up the storyline??? I've been blazing through One Piiece and the opening made so much more sense cause they did it in a better order. I'm also picking up small things like [spoiler] Zef red leg actually cut off his own leg to eat it. Instead of losing it while saving Sanji. [/spoiler]

Plus the manga have no fillers and stick with the main storyline soooo much better... Now once I get over this left to right reading thing i'll love it... :P