OtakuBoards

Don't you hate it when ___

deathysshadow

We all know that there are common things that happen in most anime. and it gets old.

What are somethings that you hate [when it happens] in anime.

The one i can think of on the top of my head is when a character is about to get hit (and die) and then in the last moment a different character (usually not in the battle in the first place) jumps in and blocks it.
The one time i actually liked it was in soul eater when crona was saved by maka.

When two characters won't stop yelling each-other's names. It literally infuriates me - NO real people call each-other's names back and forth like that, and why do they get to doing it SO many times at parts? It's rather unbelievable. My first experience with that was in .hack//Legend of the Twilight. However, the worst case was in Kurau: Phantom Memory wherein about 4 consecutive episodes consisted mostly of two characters calling each other's names, and I eventually dropped the whole show. It was very exacerbated by the fact that one of them was named 'kurisumasu.'

"Kurau!"

"Kurisumasu!"

I hate when girls trip. Seriously, it's like they can't multitask. If they're screaming, then they can't run properly.
I don't mind if it perhaps they're in an environment like a jungle where there's a lot you could trip over, but... jeeeez. Come on, people.

[quote name='Miss Anonymous']I hate when girls trip. Seriously, it's like they can't multitask. If they're screaming, then they can't run properly.
I don't mind if it perhaps they're in an environment like a jungle where there's a lot you could trip over, but... jeeeez. Come on, people.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"]
I don't know about anyone else, but I trip over myself all the time even when I'm not doing anything else (such as screaming) ._.;;

But maybe that's just me being clumsy.[/SIZE]

[quote name='akemiii'][SIZE="1"]
I don't know about anyone else, but I trip over myself all the time even when I'm not doing anything else (such as screaming) ._.;;

But maybe that's just me being clumsy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Well... I guess I should've clarified and said specifically when girls trip in omg-dangerous situations, it just gets frustrating. It's not an unlikely thing, it just gets old is all.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]A character gets a new power that was not implied beforehand to be obtainable or even exist. It happens just when they need it and in an incredibly forced manner, just to make sure the plot moves along, no matter how clunky and pointless it feels.

In other words, the basic method that Masashi Kishimoto uses to keep his stories moving.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]A character gets a new power that was not implied beforehand to be obtainable or even exist. It happens just when they need it and in an incredibly forced manner, just to make sure the plot moves along, no matter how clunky and pointless it feels.

In other words, the basic method that Masashi Kishimoto uses to keep his stories moving.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
You should really hate Kubo Tite then lol.

Anyway, I can't stand it when girls don't do anything but act like damsels.

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]A character gets a new power that was not implied beforehand to be obtainable or even exist. It happens just when they need it and in an incredibly forced manner, just to make sure the plot moves along, no matter how clunky and pointless it feels.

In other words, the basic method that Masashi Kishimoto uses to keep his stories moving.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[quote name='Magus']You should really hate Kubo Tite then lol.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"]
Agreed, but this is pretty much a standard trope in shounen manga and fiction in general, not saying it's good but just something that has to be dealt with when it crops up.
[/SIZE]

Pointless fan service. That kills a series for me faster than anything else. Along with turning an apparently strong female character into fodder for the so called hero's bed. It's bad enough when they do it with the brainless ditsy types, but it's even worse when it's someone who until that moment, had more of a backbone.

[COLOR=#35160f][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Tsunderes, besides a select few they only serve as a roadblock for any character advancement, Plus they're annoying.

Yanderes superior in every way anyhow.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

When there's a million episodes and they're all the same continuous actions being portrayed over and over. Especially fights. I MEAN, C'MON! SOMEONE WIN ALREADY!

When the bad guy's about to be caught/killed and he suddenly gets away via some unfathomable, ill-explained, unrealistic event that NO ONE BUT THE BAD GUY could pull off.

Exploring a character's personal story in the middle of a huge fight and making a big deal about their hardships and whatnot.

When the girls do nothing but sit around being useless in the middle of a fight or something really important while they oggle at how the boys handle the problem in a really hot way or some crap like that.

Monologue. Especially during a life-or-death situation.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Pointless fan service. That kills a series for me faster than anything else. Along with turning an apparently strong female character into fodder for the so called hero's bed. It's bad enough when they do it with the brainless ditsy types, but it's even worse when it's someone who until that moment, had more of a backbone.[/QUOTE]
Can't believe I forgot about this one. Yeah, most of the time if the fanservice is in small doses I can usually just brush it to the side. But if it's something that's going to be thrown in my face every minute it'll kill the series for me.

[quote name='Magus']You should really hate Kubo Tite then lol.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]If it counts, I haven't read a single chapter of Bleach since Frosty Von Killemall effortlessly trounced his last severely overpowered opponent.

Another peeve: The good old Armor-Piercing Slap. You know, when the main character is equipped with the finest weaponry the universe has to offer and can cleave the moon in twain from wherever he happens to be standing at the time, but gets knocked around by his girlfriend the moment he does anything remotely dangerous? And it actually hurts?

It's one of those things that works in some situations, but is almost never used in them. It seems like this tends to pop up whenever said girlfriend was just rescued from capture or death of some kind. In those instances, it provides a double facepalm of making her seem completely ungrateful for being rescued from imminent doom and making you wonder why the hell she didn't kick the crap out of her captor herself.[/FONT]

Haha, this thread rocks.

I hate it when female characters overreact and/or become abusive for comedic effect. The whole trope of women as uptight, humorless, and misunderstanding-prone is just as tired in anime as in Hollywood. You know what I mean--imagine a male and female character falling down a set of stairs together (or some other equally improbable but often-used scenario). He lands on top of her. She yells "Pervert!!"--despite the fact that it was entirely unintentional and there was no way either of them could have prevented it--and punches him into outer space. I fail to see how this kind of writing is supposed to be charming or clever, much less amusing. It certainly wouldn't work if you flipped the characters' genders.

~Dagger~

I kind of got use to any of the poor humor as far as things like nose bleeds and falling over when an attractive female character presents themselves.

That isn't what bothers me the most, actually I'm fine with that. The main thing that bothers me, and it's in just about every one of my favorite Anime, is the fact that characters like Sesshoumaru, or Legato, look way cooler, act way cooler, and are much more badass than the main character, and they always lose when they battle the main character and sometimes die.

It's okay though, someday I'll just have to create my own Manga, and I'll make the main character like Sesshoumaru.

[quote name='Dagger']Haha, this thread rocks.

I hate it when female characters overreact and/or become abusive for comedic effect. The whole trope of women as uptight, humorless, and misunderstanding-prone is just as tired in anime as in Hollywood. You know what I mean--imagine a male and female character falling down a set of stairs together (or some other equally improbable but often-used scenario). He lands on top of her. She yells "Pervert!!"--despite the fact that it was entirely unintentional and there was no way either of them could have prevented it--and punches him into outer space. I fail to see how this kind of writing is supposed to be charming or clever, much less amusing. It certainly wouldn't work if you flipped the characters' genders.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] This. Like the whole tsundere thing is weird to me. There's such a minority of normal, well-adjusted girls in anime- they're either all soft and passive and can barely speak over .5 decibels or assertive "strong" women who hit you a lot.

And another major thing about anime that annoys me is when fans commit [u][URL="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlebqmxtrir9bav?from=Main.WhatDoYouMeanItsNotSymbolic"]what do you mean it's not symbolic?[/URL][/u] (GOD I love TV Tropes). Like when NGE fans think the opening sequence is ~meaningful~, but really it's just a bunch of irrelevantly mashed up batch of religious symbols and naked girls. Like, really, a cross? How original.

[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][FONT=trebuchet ms] And another major thing about anime that annoys me is when fans commit [U][URL="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlebqmxtrir9bav?from=Main.WhatDoYouMeanItsNotSymbolic"]what do you mean it's not symbolic?[/URL][/U] (GOD I love TV Tropes). Like when NGE fans think the opening sequence is ~meaningful~, but really it's just a bunch of irrelevantly mashed up batch of religious symbols and naked girls. Like, really, a cross? How original.
[/FONT][/quote]

exactly! especially when its religious. (i'm atheist.)
whenever i watch anime with friends then they always start looking at me with a face that says [are you okay with that?]

[quote name='HopscotchEyelid']I kind of got use to any of the poor humor as far as things like nose bleeds and falling over when an attractive female character presents themselves.

That isn't what bothers me the most, actually I'm fine with that. The main thing that bothers me, and it's in just about every one of my favorite Anime, is the fact that characters like Sesshoumaru, or Legato, look way cooler, act way cooler, and are much more badass than the main character, and they always lose when they battle the main character and sometimes die.

It's okay though, someday I'll just have to create my own Manga, and I'll make the main character like Sesshoumaru.[/QUOTE]

You are so right my friend, I look forward to reading your manga.

Fillers are one thing that I've seen way to much and it just needs to stop. Its completely useless towards the story of the show and I've gotten sick of it. Many shows such as Bleach, Naruto, Dragon Ball series, and etc that I have seen has to much fillers that are somewhat in between the arcs and would take up about 1-100 episodes, for crying out loud. The anime director could have told the creator of the manga: "Hey hurry it up with the dang story already!" so they won't have to make fillers :O

[color=#4B0082]Whenever the villain has thoroughly beaten down the hero but then lets him go for no reason at all instead of finishing him off. And then, of course, the hero comes back later to defeat the villain and save the day.

That's actually been annoying me since before I started watching anime. The Final Fantasy games seem to love doing it.[/color]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]I'm not a huge fan of the whole disturbed and brooding main character. Come on, we get it. You're tortured but NO ONE acts that way in real life, and if they do they usually shoot up schools instead of wield ridiculously large swords and fight for; '...her.. honor..'

On the flip-side overtly loud characters are unnecessary. Kei Kurono from Gantz got on my last nerve because all he did was yell and scream the entire time.

Badasses. I'm tired of them. They act tough, look cool (if a little gay) but, like people have posted before, always get their ***** handed to them. You're not fooling anyone with your laser sword and stern look.

Or

Badass main characters of the first few episodes. They show you this new character who is a complete badass and is doing all sorts of crazy stuff and then 6 episodes into the anime he is a big turd who can't kill a fly and is on the throes of dying every fight. It's tired and old.

No, wait, hold on. One more.

Meek looking children creating monstrous magical spells or defeating 5 grown men and then dropping to their knees before exclaiming; 'I'm sorry!!'
Go to hell.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Hyperninja1']Fillers are one thing that I've seen way to much and it just needs to stop. Its completely useless towards the story of the show and I've gotten sick of it. Many shows such as Bleach, Naruto, Dragon Ball series, and etc that I have seen has to much fillers that are somewhat in between the arcs and would take up about 1-100 episodes, for crying out loud. The anime director could have told the creator of the manga: "Hey hurry it up with the dang story already!" so they won't have to make fillers :O[/quote]
I stopped naruto at 136. I mean, the manga stops there. so it doesnt matter. right?