OtakuBoards

Should Lady Gaga change her name?

Darren

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] [SIZE="4"]WHAT IS "POKER FACE" ABOUT. OH YOU HAVE A MEDIOCRE FACE SO YOU HIDE BEHIND CARDS. PLZ STOP PLAYING IT ON THE RADIO 248575646 TIMES. [/size][/font][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="1"]I like that song omg.

Anyway, it's actually about having sex with a woman but leading men on. ("I'll get him hard, show him what I got") I think she was interviewed in Rolling Stone about it?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] snip to avoid quoting all caps text.

[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Why do you honestly care what someone else thinks about your musical selection? People are always gonna ridicule you for your personal tastes, because that what society does these days when faced with people who don't share the same tastes as you.

"Your type of music sucks. I don't wear those stupid 'preppy' clothes. I'm going to ridicule you for our differences because I'm compensating for the fact that I in fact may like something that others do not, but your style is stupid while mine is the gold standard for coolness and awesome. Nanny nanny boo boo. *fart noise*."

As far as radio stations playing the same kinds of music, that's just how radio goes. Could you imagine when you only had TWO radio stations period? Or how about living in a town where the only radio station was the bible-thumping one that played gospel music all day long....that's loads of fun. [/FONT]

[FONT="Garamond"]haha, I saw this post on Tumblr and I thought of all you guys. Take it with a grain of salt since I have NO idea where the person "found" this quote but it's something =P

[I]Lady Gaga is a hermaphrodite.
ahhahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahaa
?Its not something that I?m ashamed of, just isn?t something that i go around telling everyone. Yes. I have both male and female genitalia, but i consider myself a female. Its just a little bit of a penis and really doesnt interfere much with my life. the reason I haven?t talked about it is that its not a big deal to me. like come on. its not like we all go around talking about our vags. I think this is a great opportunity to make other multiple gendered people feel more comfortable with their bodies. I?m sexy, I?m hot. i have both a poon and a peener. big f***ing deal.?
- Lady Gaga <3[/I]

Now, even if this *is* true, I still don't care. Obviously in the event it is, she's chosen the gender that she wants the world to perceive her as, and I don't see her as any less of a lady because of it. Makes absolutely no impact on how I think of her and it's silly to think that this would be a big deal at all.[/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Why do you honestly care what someone else thinks about your musical selection? People are always gonna ridicule you for your personal tastes, because that what society does these days when faced with people who don't share the same tastes as you.

As far as radio stations playing the same kinds of music, that's just how radio goes. Could you imagine when you only had TWO radio stations period? Or how about living in a town where the only radio station was the bible-thumping one that played gospel music all day long....that's loads of fun. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] In general I don't. I mean if someone on the internet told me my music taste sucked I'd post a bitchy .gif in response (I live for online .gif wars) and not care, or tell them off angrily or something idk, but in general I don't care about those type of people.

I guess my problem is that one of my best friends does. Like, my three closest friends are in general very judgmental of my music selections. Two of them usually keep to themselves and don't ever complain about any of the music I play, but one of them is really vocal about it and it's just irritating. I mean she's vocal about every opinion she has, but in this case it's annoying.

i.e. We'll be in MY car and I'll be giving her a ride, and she'll criticize the music on my iPod. A typical conversation:

Me: *chooses song*
Her: What is this?
Me: *I answer*
Her: EW! (I mean literally all she says is "EW!" and I just sit there silently and simmer)

Or she'll comment about how my iPod sucks, or something else obnoxious. I'm pretty sure most of it is just because she's a music elitist. I mean the way she builds her music library is by going through Pitchfork and downloading the albums that were rated 8.0 or higher. It's sort of hilarious to see her in action, because she thinks of herself as some indie music buff but once I played The Arctic Monkeys and she had no idea who they were and promptly labeled their music as ****.[/font]

[SIZE="1"]If it makes you feel any better at all, Lunox, then I know [I]precisely[/I] how you feel. One of my good friends is highly stubborn and cynical when it comes to my choices in anime and video games. If I so much as break out a DS and play, let's say Ace Attorney, then she'll start in on her own little snide riffing that...really is not appreciated. I would not mind it if she was a fellow fan of the work [as I poke fun at stuff I like [I]all the time[/I]], but she won't even give my favorite stuff the time of day, so she criticizes and overanalyzes and snarks at EVERY. LAST. THING.

Me: *plays whatever the deuce I like*
Her: What's that?
Me: *insert game title here*
Her: OMG WHATS THAT OMG WHYS HE LOOK LIKE THAT OMG THATS STUPID OMG *insert snark here* HAHAHA LOLOLOLOL

Oh, and the kicker? Her favorite anime is classy, high brow, intelligent...[I]Dragonball Z[/I].

Yeah.

But I know how you feel. If it was a stranger, I'd have no problem telling them off, but when it's a friend? No so easy, especially if you're close to 'em.

And just to keep this on topic, PUH PUH PUH POKER FACE PUH PUH POKER FACE[/SIZE]

[quote name='Lunox'][FONT=trebuchet ms]Or she'll comment about how my iPod sucks, or something else obnoxious. I mean I'm pretty sure most of it is just because she's a music elitist. I mean the way she builds her music library is by going through Pitchfork and downloading the albums that were rated 8.0 or higher. It's sort of hilarious to see her in action, because she thinks of herself as some indie music buff but once I played The Arctic Monkeys and she had no idea who they were and promptly labeled their music as ****.[/FONT][/quote] Don't quote me on this, but I think it's hipper nowadays to hate Pitchfork than to love it. You should tell her she's on the verge of becoming severely uncool if she doesn't start ironically liking T-Pain and heavy metal.

[quote name='John']Don't quote me on this, but I think it's hipper nowadays to hate Pitchfork than to love it. You should tell her she's on the verge of becoming severely uncool if she doesn't start ironically liking T-Pain and heavy metal.[/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] lol @ ironically liking T-Pain and heavy metal. It's so obvious p4k tries to give hip-hop/rap albums higher ratings to appear music-forward or something. [/font]

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms]
Or she'll comment about how my iPod sucks, or something else obnoxious. I'm pretty sure most of it is just because she's a music elitist. [/font][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]My brother used to be a bit like this (thankfully he's getting better).

He used to criticise my music taste regularly. It was kind of funny in part because I simply don't care (and told him regularly that he was an idiot, haha). But it was also funny because he went through these phases of listening to certain specific stuff (especially anything that enhanced his macho self-image).

Now that he's a bit older he's become a bit wiser too and is a bit more open to different types of music, regardless of "genre" or whatever.

But a few weeks ago I was at his place and a Lady Gaga music video came on. He started up this tirade about how awful she was and I was kind of stunned. Nothing he said remotely made any sense - it all boiled down to her being "weird", basically.

So I actually asked him to specifically explain why he doesn't like her. And he really couldn't, in part because he knew absolutely nothing about her story or her music.

I wouldn't say that I am really a fan of Gaga (although I have huge respect for her as an artist), but I think more than anything his attitude about her was really sad - mostly because the more you shut your mind to things, the more you're likely to miss out on.[/font]

• 4 weeks later...