OtakuBoards

Do You Turn Your Computer Off?

Rachmaninoff

The title is pretty self explanatory. Are you one of those people who never turn it off or do you essentially pull the plug when you leave for school, work or turn in to get some sleep? I always find it a little odd to see that people have been logged into a service like AIM for days instead of mere hours. I'm certain they wandered off to get some sleep at one point but it still seems weird to see.

For myself, I tend to not leave it running if I'm not around or I'm doing other stuff. It just seems wasteful to use the power if I'm not around. So what about the rest of you? Do you leave it on most of the time or do you only turn it on when you're going to be using it? What are your computer habits? =P

Oh and before I forget, you can blame Gavin for this thread, since he's one of the people I've seen listed on AIM for days lately. Get some sleep already dude. lol

I always leave my laptop on. I never ever ever shut it down. But it is for a very important reason. If I ever shut it down, once I boot it back up I am unable to connect to the internet.

That's what happened when I went to Boston in May. I turned off my laptop so nobody could go through it while I was gone, but when I got back I had to use my Dad's computer for about a month or so. It was horrible... But yeah, I also always have a tab open with OB's 'Who's Online' page, so I seem to be on until the morning hours or until a miniscule cloud blows by and knocks out my internet. I have also never logged out since I have joined. Ever.

I shut down my home computer or laptop. I don't really see the point of having them on when I'm not using them. If I'm gone for 20 min or so then I might not shut down the computer. It all depends on if I want to be lazy or not. :animesmil

I agree its weird seeing people logged on for days. They must not need to do much if they're glued to the computer.

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"]Yes Gavin, you really do need to stop lurking online 24/7. You have your goons at Wally World for that kind of deal. =P

Anyway, I always turn my computer off if I'm going to be sleeping or gone. No point in leaving it on. Sometimes I leave and don't turn it off since I'm expecting to be back within fifteen minutes and end up gone for hours, but that doesn't happen very often.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]I turn it off when I go to sleep. If I'm out, it depends on how long: if it's 10-20 minutes, I'll just let it be on sleep mode, but if it's gonna be hours, then I shut it down.

Fun fact: I also unplug my charger from it whenever it's off. Dunno why.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]I'm one of those people who can't stand any lights or noise on in a room while I sleep so unless I happen to be downloading a bunch of stuff that's going to take most of the night my PC goes off before I go to bed. Electricity is expensive you know.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Indi'][FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"]Yes Gavin, you really do need to stop lurking online 24/7. You have your goons at Wally World for that kind of deal. =P [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I do not lurk. I watch, and I am always watching.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']So is this a confession? As in you're saying... "hey guys, I'm a pervert!"

[I][SIZE="1"]*ducks*[/SIZE][/I][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Confession ? Since when do commonly accepted facts require a confession ? The Johnny Bravo avatars weren't just for lulz you know.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Oh right, it's common knowledge that you're a pervert, my bad. =P[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yup, now stop being off-topic in your own thread, or you'll have to whack yourself for breaking the rules of your own forum.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][quote name='Gavin][SIZE="1"']Yup, now stop being off-topic in your own thread, or you'll have to whack yourself for breaking the rules of your own forum.[/SIZE][/quote]Naw, I'll whack him myself. =P

Anyway, I don't leave mine on either. If I'm sleeping or off doing something else, I turn it off. I do find it odd to see people who are logged into AIM for days though. o_O It makes you wonder if they live online or something. lol[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue]Unless I'm doing something that requires leaving it on (i.e. downloading a large file, defragging, or something to that effect), I always shut it down when I go to bed. Whether or not I turn it off when I go out is sort of random. A lot of the time, I will, but sometimes (the above reasons included), I don't. Other times, I'll leave it on intentionally since I can access it outside of the house and often need to if I'm helping someone with something.

Also, just a heads up for those of you who do leave your computers on forever - you should restart them at least once a week or so. This frees up memory that was used and never released for one reason or another and tends to keep your computer running faster. You won't cause any permanent damage by leaving it on but you'll help yourself in the long run.

chibi-master, your case is different and losing the internet connection every time you restart shouldn't happen. I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot it at some point if you'd like.
[/COLOR]

[size=1]I have my laptop, so I usually leave it on for .... ever, really. If I was using my desktop I might turn it off, but seeing as my computer is in my room, and locked, I don't see a point; just lazy, I guess.

I also find it amusing to wake up to numerous messages of "Hey, you there? Or did you just leave your chat on again? Do you enjoy being idle?" xD[/size]

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Red]I've been known[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Red] to leave my computer on overnight when I want to finish downloading a particular torrent, but I don't do that anymore.

I usually shut it off when I'm done.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Once I'm done using it, I always turn mine off. The only exception is if some process is running that isn't done yet. But I tend to come back and check it later, so I can turn it off once it's finished. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=SeaGreen][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I leave mine on pretty much all the time, but I'm very rarely logged into anything when I get off my computer...And I almost never use my chat programs anyway, so I don't ever see that "Are you there?" crap.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]I usually leave my computer running 24/7, but I also often have it doing stuff overnight. I use the late night/early morning hours when no one else is using the net connection to download large files, or set up video to encode while I sleep.

It's actually harder for me to sleep at night without the background noise of my computer's fans, now.[/color]

[QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]I usually leave my computer running 24/7, but I also often have it doing stuff overnight. I use the late night/early morning hours when no one else is using the net connection to download large files, or set up video to encode while I sleep.

It's actually harder for me to sleep at night without the background noise of my computer's fans, now.[/color][/QUOTE]When I was writing up this thread for posting, the thought crossed my mind that you, of all people, would be one who leaves it running all the time. =P But like you said, it's actually doing something so that at least makes sense.

Unless I fall asleep before I am able to, I usually shut it off before bed. I've even started unplugging the charger while I'm at it, since my laptop doesn't need it anyway if it's going to be off. Saves some electricity too, I believe.

But yeah, other than right before bed, it's usually on. I use my laptop [i]a lot[/i]. A little too much even. >_>

I never turn off my laptop unless I have to restart it. There's usually windows open like onemanga, etc. I do not want to forgot where I am in the manga I am reading. I am an easily forgetful person. Besides, I am too impatient and lazy to wait for my laptop to start up.

[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Green"]I shut my computers off when I'm going to bed, or when I know I'll be gone for a long period of time. But if I'm only away for a couple hours, I'll leave my laptop on. I don't usually use my desktop anymore, unless I'm playing one of my online games. >>;

The only time my computers are left on through the night are when I'm scanning for viruses or defragging. And I also unplug my laptop when it's off. Saves electricity, and if the power goes out there's less chance of frying it. :][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]