OtakuBoards

No texting @ dinner! Parenting digital kids

Rachmaninoff

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But upon reflection, I realize it was to be expected.

[URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33122598/ns/today-parenting_and_family/"][U]No texting @ dinner! Parenting digital kids[/U][/URL]

This wasn't an issue for me, but I'm sure it may be for some of you. What do you think? Personally I think good etiquette applies to this as well. It's like turning it off for when you're in a movie or in class. Seems reasonable for parents to expect their kids to turn it off during dinner or when they're out for special occasions. [/FONT]

[B]LINK FAIL[/B]

But, I have to admit, if my kids texted at the table, they'd eat their phone. Mealtimes for me and my family are and always have been a social event. A meal is to be shared with the family and is filled with chatter and food sharing.

To have someone with a phone is much like a person having a newspaper at the table. It's extremely impolite and would, in my household, result in a lack of meal for that person and an instant grounding if it persisted.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='Axel Alloy][B']LINK FAIL[/B][/quote]Works fine for me, but you are in the UK right? Perhaps this link will do the trick then:

[URL="http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iUM8oGohtQbdLkKD7d9ya4dKhpyAD9B2DD8O1"][U]No texting at dinner[/U][/URL]

Anyway, we never had phone issues, but other things... dinner time was for family, not multitasking and doing other stuff. Anyone who thought otherwise, always got in trouble when I was growing up. Heh.[/FONT]

[font=trebuchet ms] In general I'm against giving kids digital entertainment when they could be doing something that could improve their general life skills.

i.e. I think it's stupid to have DVD players in cars, letting kids watch more than 30-60 minutes of TV a day, etc. when they could be reading or playing with dolls or something.

Except as a side note, I will text at restaurants when I'm with my family. I think it's because usually my parents carry on a conversation between themselves while me and my sister carry on a separate one, so if someone texts me I'll answer. But I wouldn't carry on an extended conversation with someone via text. But at home, I don't text during family dinners.

Also I've become sort of embittered about the overflux of knowledge that the digital world has given us. As cool as it is, and I'm really freakin' addicted, it has destroyed some aspects of good communication and analytical skill.[/font]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff'][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Works fine for me, but you are in the UK right? Perhaps this link will do the trick then:

[URL="http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iUM8oGohtQbdLkKD7d9ya4dKhpyAD9B2DD8O1"][U]No texting at dinner[/U][/URL][/FONT][/quote]

Indeed I am. That one works just fine. Thanks a bunch. <3

-------

After reading it, I still have the same views. But, it did mention adults too, which I find very interesting. I rarely use my phone at all anyway, but I'd be darned if it came to a 'one rule for one, one for another' scenario at my table. Parents should always follow their own advice, or... You know, become a huge hypocrite. :P

Consistency is key. It's not just texting that needs to be addressed, it's all forms of 'manners'. If you start with one thing, follow with others.

Well I'm happy to hear at least a few parents are stepping to the plate and making changes. I didn't really get into texting until a couple years ago when I got a phone with a nifty keyboard layed out like a computer keyboard. Now I probably do text more then I call.

I couldn't imagine texting during family outings or get togethers, but of course when I think back to being a teenager I would've rather talked to my friends then been around my family (its just kids being kids I suppose).

I do have to say, and I'm glad the article mentioned it...in a way, I love that kids think they get away with texting at the dinner table or when they're out. It actually makes me laugh out loud to see kids "hiding" their phones and thinking they're being coy. I actually make it a point to ruin their fun by leaning towards them (or pausing if I walk by) and "whispering" at the top of my lungs "no no no It's S-e-x not s-e-c-s"

Thats one thing that really does tick me off about the digital age, people feel the retarded need to update everything and make sure everyone know what they are doing right then.

Once I looked through a friends text messages, since this was before I had a texting capable phone a few years back, and all I saw was crap. My friend was going on about how handy it was for getting a quick reply from someone. But all I saw was

Whats up

LOL

Poke

Meow

and a bunch of other tag you're it crap.

I live texting a bunch now, but I have way more efficient usage. Just wait, there will be a generation with massive arthritis when this whole thing is done. lol

[font="arial"][size="1"]

Texing is a vital part of my life. I text to get in contact with my bosses, groups in my college classes, letting my parents know what I'm doing, and of course, keeping in touch with friends.

I don't generally text in class or when I'm clocked in at work (unless it's my boss texting me), but I don't avoid texting at social gatherings. I can get work done and get in contact with classmates about group projects while hanging out with whoever it is that I'm hanging out with. Rude? Maybe. I don't really care.

[/size][/font]

I text a lot, even though it's only one person. But I was raised in the south, and I think manners are pretty important.

I mean, I'm a laid back guy. If I'm hanging out with friends at a fast food place or some Mexican restaurant, who cares who's texting who? When it's a family dinner (not that I have any of those) or a nice restaurant or something, you can keep your phone in your pocket for 30 Fuc-maybe I shouldn't curse, there seems to be a lot of younguns around. You get the idea though. Thankfully, I don't have any kids and no plans to make any. If I did, you can bet they'd have at least some basic manners.

[size=1]It's not just kids. I work at an educational museum, and we get a lot of families in. The children spend their time playing and goofing around, but there are a lot of parents who spend the entire trip reading and sending text messages.

It's sort of a funny turnaround. You hear a lot about how "kids these days" can't spend an hour without texting someone, but there are a lot of adults who can't pull themselves from their phones long enough to spend a little bit of non-wired time with their children.[/size]

[SIZE="1"]I have to say I find this whole thing hilarious. Maybe it's because my family are so laid back but texting at dinner/day out was/is nothing major so long as it's not taking to an unreasonable degree. If I get a text message at dinner I'll answer it, or if I need to send one there's no issue with it being sent and if this happens two or three times there's nothing really said about it. Now it might be different if I spent the whole dinner texting and didn't engage in any conversation but that's never happened.

This to me seems more about parents failing to instil within their children a desire to make dinners/days out family time rather than just a problem with could be solved by telling them not to text at dinner. If they're bored, they're bored.
[/SIZE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"]My parents are just as bad as I am about texting during dinner. In fact, we pick on my mom because she does it most often of anyone in my family, especially at the dinner table. I'm very good about answering texts after dinner because I like to talk to my family and catch up on what went on in our days over some broken conversation that I'm having with whoever I'm texting.

I do find it bad from when a date does it on a date. It makes me think that you're more interested in what your texting friends have to say rather than the person who is in front of you/next to you. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"]
I do find it bad from when a date does it on a date. It makes me think that you're more interested in what your texting friends have to say rather than the person who is in front of you/next to you. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font="arial"][size="1"]
This would be one of the few times I'd say texting should be avoided at all costs. Especially if it's a first date senario. Other than that, texting should be embraced rather than regulated, IMHO.

[/size][/font]