OtakuBoards

U.S. Entry ban for HIV to be lifted.

Rachmaninoff

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]If you haven't heard the news, here's a link to the article on it:

[URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33553409/ns/health-aids/"][U]Obama to lift U.S. entry ban for those with HIV[/U][/URL]

I'm sure that I'm not the only one to think it's about time. I honestly didn't realize we banned people entry based on this until someone brought it up about a year ago. At the time my thoughts were, why? Why were we barring people from the US over something like this?

So what do you guys think? Considering that it's not something you can so easily get, I definitely agree with lifting the ban. Or do you have a reason as to why they shouldn't lift it?[/FONT]

Well, think about it this way. Their are two possible ways this ban lift could play out.

One: When the ban is lifted, a new wave of HIV/AIDs positive people will flood into the US. Crimes from petty theft to rape would spread the virus faster than anyone can predict. Since it takes weeks, months, or even years for the virus to show up on test. Anyone is or is likely carrying the virus. Take the fact that the average female has about 3-9 "partners" between 6 months-12 month period. Also that the average male has 12-19 "partners" during the same time period. Each person is infected or carrying the virus. Within the next 5-10 years, 9-10 might be infected with the HIV/AIDs virus.

Two: Researchers from other countries would fuel our researchers with new information could find a cure within 5-10 years. Our economy might improve due to tourist that where previously banned from stepping on US soil. Adding up to multi-million dollars in local areas and other businesses. The US would seem more open to the world than we do now. This could fundamentally change future history in a long run.

The US appears to other countries as a bully. We aren't a bully. The US is the watch dog for the world because no-one is taking that responsibility. We make sure nukes aren't used and another World War like WW2 doesn't happen again.

But think of this way. Maybe war is a way humans evolve and come closer. Enemies become allies. Since WW2, look at the technology that has came since then. War pushed the research, testing, and deploying new tech from years to decades to just months to a few years. Humans will never out date war. Its what wars are fought over that out date humans. Tech and War are two sides of the same side.

I'm not totally sure how I feel about this yet, and in such I hate to comment on it at all. On one hand I feel like its good since most people inflicted with HIV didn't get it from a promiscuous life, or from sharing needles like a drug addict. Many are born with it, and in such a case they shouldn't be punished.

On the otherhand I feel as if the U.S. had a right, and a good reason for it. It wasn't as if they were banning people based on ethnicity, religion, or any other choice somebody makes. In reality HIV is spread (of course not as easily) as something as bad as H1N1.

That side of me thinks the ban WAS justified.

lol that brings up a final pro lifting the ban point, like Wolfie said the ban being lifted COULD prompt more money and research to finding a cure, I feel as if HIV has become a little pushed back into background. I'm sure research is still being done, but not at the level that it should be.

[quote name='Dragons Wolfie']Well, think about it this way. Their are two possible ways this ban lift could play out.

One: When the ban is lifted, a new wave of HIV/AIDs positive people will flood into the US.[/QUOTE]

So what, you think that there are hordes of people with HIV banging on the walls of the US, clamouring to get in?

[quote name='Dragons Wolfie']The US appears to other countries as a bully. We aren't a bully. The US is the watch dog for the world...[/QUOTE]

Hahahahaha, it's so hilarious to actually see someone say this.

But I digress.

It's good to hear that the ban has been lifted. It struck me as nothing short of paranoid and discriminating when I first heard about the ban. It's not like it could have accomplished much.

[quote name='Dragons Wolfie']Crimes from petty theft [...] would spread the virus faster than anyone can predict. [/QUOTE][size=1]I took your wallet. You will die in less than 20 years due to AIDS. Sorry. :([/size]

[quote name='Dragons Wolfie']But think of this way. Maybe war is a way humans evolve and come closer. Enemies become allies. Since WW2, look at the technology that has came since then. War pushed the research, testing, and deploying new tech from years to decades to just months to a few years. Humans will never out date war. Its what wars are fought over that out date humans. Tech and War are two sides of the same side.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]WAR!
(DA DA DUN NUH NUH DA DA DA)
WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?

Your XBox, apparently.[/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
Actually didn't know about the ban at all. Gotta love the great old wonderful Disunited States of Amercia: keeping its masses blatantly ignorant and using them as slaves [i]a la[/i] the collection-things where people are held by the machines in [i]The Matrix[/i] since just a ways after 1776!

Actually I want to leave this country as soon as possible. Everything is so ***-backwards.

I am in favor of lifting the ban, personally. So far I have not seen any valid arguments the other way.

And let's all face it, Boo pwns. :D

Om shanti, om shakti.

Love is the law, lover under will.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='Boo][size=1']I took your wallet. You will die in less than 20 years due to AIDS. Sorry. :([/size][/quote]So it was you Boo. I should have known. =P I kid.

Seriously though, I'm not sure how theft gives one AIDS, unless you're dumb enough to steal someone's needle and use it. And that would only work if they were infected to begin with. [/FONT]