OtakuBoards

Children Today.

chibi-master

So I have recently noticed that most children nowadays are a bunch of brats. Apparently, if they didn't grow up in the 90's or earlier, they're...well...YOU KNOW.

Ex. On the bus last year, there were some 8 year olds or something. One(most, actually) of their conversations consisted of:

"OMFG My mom so stupid she don't respect me like she should that *****!"

"OMG inorite?! Like, this weekend, like, my parents wouldn't buy me the new iPhone even though I'm like 7 and totally old enough to take care of one!"

"That's like so stupid you should just be all, '***** I want my phone now!' And they would like totally give you your mad props and *****!"

That was word-for-word, by the way.

So what do you think is causing this? I mean, I could understand if it was just the usual handful of ill-mannered children, but now they seem to be the majority! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE PICTURE HERE?!

I've heard some pretty interesting things myself, believe it or not, working at a daycare with 4 year olds. Who swear more than I ever could. Obviously I didn't do it at work in front of them, but apparently all of those words they already knew well.

Personally I find the lack of actual parenting to be the biggest issue. I mean most of the time parents simply plop their brats in front of the tv or whatever else to keep them entertained and thusly out of their hair. Not to say tv or videogames or movies or whatever is the devil... But my point is they don't make any attempt to care about what their kids are interacting with. Or for the msot part don't bother to pay attention until randomly stumbling into a situation where their five year old tells them to f@#k off...

Take for instance soccer mom's who complain about the content their kid see's when they play GTA, few times I think some have attempted lame lawsuits... Who bought the kid the game without bothering to check the ratings? Oh yeah you did. Who ignored their child up until like a week ago when you finally walked in on the game? You did. So how exactly is it the store's fault or the game designers fault? Oh yeah its not.

Point is they ignore everything blindly and just allow whatever to be put in front of their kids simply because they don't want their kids in front of them.

A lot of it too can be general example they set for their children. I mean if mom is spoiled brat herself who does nothing and generally just use's dad's credit card because she has to have those heels how you think the daughter is gonna be? She's not going to grow up seeing that she has to work for anything in life. She's going to grow up assuming the world will give her what she wants for nothing.

Sometimes the kids flat out reflect the parents, and sometimes they don't. To me it just all depends on how their raised and that basically sums up to a lack of caring how your kid grows up.

Dicipline is also a big thing. Can't smack em cuz its "child abuse." Frankly I find that term to be overused on situations like spanking without intent to harm but instead intent to punish for bad behavior. To me theres a big difference between a child going home to an angry parent who violently beats them for no reason, and a mom in store who smacks her kid on the butt once to get them to behave.

Course other forms don't really work either, grounding the kid to its room, etc. I mean really when everything your kid plays with is in there and you don't bother removing it so it's actually punishment... How is that doing anything? Kid may as well stay in their room all the time anyway.

Kids acting up and so forth is nothing new but yeah its getting worse as the years go by. Kinda sad when I'm only 24 and can't walk through a mall without noticing some random kid who is probably around like 12 dressed like a hooker and think to myself "Why in God's name would their mom allow that? My mom woulda slapped the ever lovin hell outta me if I tried wearing that at her age..."

Also makes me feel old. I demand it stops. :animedepr

It's also sad when while working at the daycare and I had to put one of em in time out for belting out a stream of swears, that he didn't understand what he had done wrong. His mom's reaction at the end of the day to his behavior? She may as well have just shrugged and said "So what?"

I dunno my opinion on it is general lack of parenting all around. Can't blame the media in any sort when its the parents who allow said media into their homes and as such into their kids heads. Raising children takes work and most now days don't wanna put in the work they signed up for by ignoring the condom in their nightstand.

[quote name='AnbuKira13']Dicipline is also a big thing. Can't smack em cuz its "child abuse." Frankly I find that term to be overused on situations like spanking without intent to harm but instead intent to punish for bad behavior. To me theres a big difference between a child going home to an angry parent who violently beats them for no reason, and a mom in store who smacks her kid on the butt once to get them to behave. [/QUOTE]

THIS. If I had been walking around doing and saying what kids are saying today, my parents woould have made it so I couldn't sit down for a week! But it worked. I like to believe that I am a very polite teenager. I hold doors open for anyone I make eye contact with within a mile radius, I make good use of the manners I was taught to use, and I never do anything I know would have gotten me belted when I was 5.

Exactly. I mean if you think about it certain things you did that got you smacked... after that how often did you do it again to test to see if it would happen again? Probably not many.

Hmmm... I should also say it's not meant, in my opinion, to be a method of teaching your child to fear you, but more as a method of getting them to understand what is not ok and wont be allowed. Rather a touchy subject I suppose but then again what isn't when it comes to raising kids?

[quote name='chibi-master']Ex. On the bus last year, there were some 8 year olds or something. One(most, actually) of their conversations consisted of:

"OMFG My mom so stupid she don't respect me like she should that *****!"

"OMG inorite?! Like, this weekend, like, my parents wouldn't buy me the new iPhone even though I'm like 7 and totally old enough to take care of one!"

"That's like so stupid you should just be all, '***** I want my phone now!' And they would like totally give you your mad props and *****!"

That was word-for-word, by the way. [/quote]

[SIZE=1]That is by far the funniest thing I've read in the last week. I would actually pay to have been there to hear it live chibi.

As for the whole degeneration of society one generation at a time I take it with a pinch of salt, sure some children today are nothing short of parasites that need to be exterminated for our collective good but there are still plenty who grow up normal.

If there's a problem then it's down to discipline and the way in which the children are raised, and thus ultimately down to their parents and society as a whole. Children don't possess genetic memory, if a child swears and acts that way he/she's picked it up from somewhere it's that simple.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I don't think it's any different than when we all were kids. The only real difference is that technology has advanced to the point where kids feel they're entitled to nicer, newer things (much in the same way I felt I was entitled to a puppy).
Priorities have just changed, that's all. Kids have always been brats. But they're just kids.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Recaldy']I've noticed people are generaly getting smaller. You see people from post WW2 times and now around where I live people in high school are shorter and overall smaller body size. >_>;[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Actually I've found that the opposite is true. Better nutrition and immunization [okay better nutrition is kind of subjective] generally result in girls reaching their menarche earlier than they normally would. For you non bio majors that means first period(PUBERTY).

I find that like some have already said, parenting is a big deal, or in most cases, lack thereof. An after school program, while nice, is not a replacement for a stable two parent home. And here the parent could be male or female, provided that there are two to love and nurture and occasionally beat the snot out of said child. A cell phone is a completely unnecessary investment for anyone not old enough to drive a car. Until you have to call the police, or the roadside assistance hotline, you can make do with a landline, payphone, or a computer that is monitored.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Take into consideration: you were probably a horse's posterior at that age, too.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm sure we [I]all[/I] were, at [I]some[/I] point.:animeswea But some of us had it beaten out of us so that it didn't last past age 7 or so. Unlike what I've seen recently...

Also, apparently it is becoming less and less common for children to make blanket forts. Why? WHY?! *twitch*

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='chibi-master']Also, apparently it is becoming less and less common for children to make blanket forts. Why? WHY?! *twitch*[/quote]Because you can now buy one and simply assemble it? [URL="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000206G9/b4ubuildcom/"][U]Like this.[/U][/URL] I know people who get that kind of stuff for their kids. It's cute and all, but seems to take the fun out of the making your own and changing it around each time.[/FONT]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff'][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Because you can now buy one and simply assemble it? [URL="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000206G9/b4ubuildcom/"][U]Like this.[/U][/URL] I know people who get that kind of stuff for their kids. It's cute and all, but seems to take the fun out of the making your own and changing it around each time.[/FONT][/quote]

But I have such fond memories of covering my entire living room in one giant blanket fort.

Tonight I made a blaket fort and watched a crappy Disney movie while sitting inside with my doggy. And lemon squares. Life is good when you do things you know you might be entirely too old for. Though I don't think anyone is old enough to quit making blanket forts. In fact, go try it. Now.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Sara'][font=trebuchet ms]As long as there are blankets, kids will make blanket forts. I wouldn't worry about it too much.[/font][/QUOTE]

And if they have boxes they'll make box forts, or hamper forts out of hampers. I was at my friends house over the weekend and his children built an amazing fort out of leaves and fallen branches. Sure, they have a Wii with a million games and tons of crazy controllers, but they know where the fun is really at.

As far as children today are concerned, well, in think it is every generation's duty to tell the subsequent generation that they are more spoiled, ruder, and stupider than they were at that age.

Do not fret. When dread Darkseid reveals himself to our wretched world he shall bind all children in iron shackles where they shall dredge out his fire-pits for the rest of their short and pathetic lives, regardless of their previous behavior.

Seriously though, you're just getting older and noticing stuff. We were brats too, we just don't remember it.

[quote name='Fourth World']Seriously though, you're just getting older and noticing stuff. We were brats too, we just don't remember it.[/QUOTE][font=helvetica]Well, I [i]personally[/i] wasn't, but other people my age were, so yeah.[/font]

[quote name='Sara'][FONT=trebuchet ms]As long as there are blankets, kids will make blanket forts. I wouldn't worry about it too much.[/FONT][/quote]
[SIZE="1"]
*Drops his pillow*

...You mean we're supposed stop making blanket forts at some point ?[/SIZE]